China's efforts on climate deal partly due to its pollution

webfact

China's efforts on climate deal partly due to its pollution
By LOUISE WATT

BEIJING (AP) — China's push for a global climate pact was due in part to its own increasingly pressing need to solve serious environmental problems, observers said Sunday.

China, the world's biggest source of climate-changing gases, was blamed for obstructing the last high-level climate talks in Copenhagen in 2009. This time around, it sent strong political signals it wanted a deal ahead of and during the Paris negotiations that ended Saturday with the agreement to keep global temperatures from rising another degree Celsius (1.8 Fahrenheit) between now and 2100.

"Environmental issues have become much more important to the Chinese public and therefore to the Chinese government," said Dimitri de Boer, head of China Carbon Forum, a Beijing-based nonprofit organization.

Since 2009, the public has gone from not knowing much or caring about environmental issues "and mainly being focused on wanting to make some money, to now being very concerned with environmental issues and taking that on par with wanting to make money," he said.

China's cities are among the world's dirtiest after three decades of explosive economic growth that led to construction of hundreds of coal-fired power plants and an increase in car ownership.

China was reminded of its severe environmental challenges during the Paris conference when the capital, Beijing, issued its first red alert for pollution under a two-year system because of heavy smog. The city ordered limits on vehicles, factories and construction sites and told schools to close.

China pushed for a deal because of its own problems and because the effects of climate change are becoming clearer each year, said Dr. Jiang Kejun, senior researcher at the Energy Research Institute under the National Development and Reform Commission, China's top economic planning agency.

The message on climate change "is very clear — we must do something — and in the meantime the domestic policymaking process is getting more environment-oriented," Jiang said. The air pollution in Beijing is putting pressure on policymakers and China is moving toward a low-carbon economy anyway, he said.

To build momentum for a deal, China and the United States, the world's two biggest carbon emitters, last year set a 2030 deadline for emissions to stop rising. This June, Beijing promised to cut carbon emissions per unit of economic output by 65 percent from 2005 levels.

In September, Chinese President Xi Jinping pledged $3.1 billion to help developing countries combat climate change.

"That's huge," said de Boer. "They may well be a developing country, but they are also clearly ready to start supporting the least-developed countries in terms of their climate mitigation and adaptation efforts."

Xi attended the opening ceremony of the Paris conference two weeks ago along with other leaders — and made a last-ditch effort in phone talks with President Barack Obama on Friday to get a global deal, according to China's official Xinhua News Agency. He told Obama that their countries needed to work together to ensure an agreement was reached "in the interest of the international community," Xinhua said.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said that China's push for a successful conclusion to the Paris negotiations "fully shows that China is dealing with climate change issues as a responsible big country."

Beijing came under criticism for obstructing the 2009 Copenhagen talks when some participants complained China and India stymied global emissions reduction efforts, possibly for fear they might hamper economic growth.

Now, the world's second-largest economy has emerged as a leader in curbing greenhouse gas emissions by investing in solar, wind and hydro power and even reducing its coal consumption last year as it attempts to clean up its polluted cities.

It is also already nurturing more self-sustaining growth as it refocuses its economy away from energy-hungry heavy industry to consumer spending and technology and making energy efficiency gains.

Dr. Olivia Gippner, a climate politics researcher at the London School of Economics, said that China's actions in the run-up to the conference indicated that it had "a very high willingness to do something," which sent an important signal to other countries.

"It was like an opener for the overall negotiations to go forward," she said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-14

Absolutely I have mentioned this in other threads on COP21 topics. China is under real public pressure to cut back Air pollution so being seen to take steps to reduce CO2 pollution feeds into that public concern. China is pushing hard on CO2 reduction. Decommissioning old 'dirty' coal fired power stations with new 'cleaner' technology and new coal fired power stations using the best 'clean' technology and also investing heavily on Solar and Wind power generation. Also market testing Emissions Trading Schemes in key regions to gradually spread Nation wide.

"...with the agreement to keep global temperatures from rising another degree Celsius (1.8 Fahrenheit) between now and 2100..."

Talk, signing agreements and wishing it, will not make it so. Countries have too much self-interest and greed to sacrifice what is needed to reach this goal. My prediction is Global Warming will continue at a rate far in excess of this pie-in-the-sky goal.

"...with the agreement to keep global temperatures from rising another degree Celsius (1.8 Fahrenheit) between now and 2100..."

Talk, signing agreements and wishing it, will not make it so. Countries have too much self-interest and greed to sacrifice what is needed to reach this goal. My prediction is Global Warming will continue at a rate far in excess of this pie-in-the-sky goal.

Countries which are smart enough to invest in companies to find new solutions for oil and gas at a good price will make the change happen. But the fastest growing economies like India and China will not do enough. This agreement has no clear idea of what happens to countries which do not meet the goals they set. Thailand said they will reduce by 20-25 %. No chance. The Islands in the South Pacific will be gone in 20-25 years.

If China puts their mind to it, they'll be able to reduce pollution levels there. Best of luck. It's desperately needed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/21/world/asia/china-also-exports-pollution-to-western-us-study-finds.html

When 90% of all homes openly burn coal lumps (coal dust pressed together hydraulically) every day it will be very hard to do.Their natural gas is not enough and most homes would have to be wired for electrical.If they were very serious and started today they can not clean up their problem in 50 years.

China is still going ahead with building over 150 new coal fired power plants I read recently. Most of their heat is powered by coal so there is always a big increase in air pollution when they turn on the heat. They really need alternate sources of power badly.

I have been hoping for years that China will take real action and on the ground when you walk with the ground root leaders , everyone understand this has to happen

President Xi is the real action taker and o hope he will enact this plan in his next 5 year term remaining to set China on the right course lower targets for growth and sub stainable environmental rights

My only wish is that when China stops their cheaper coal dependably plants and it is shifted down to Thailand and Cambodia we don't see the same problems here

The real issue is excessive consumerism for cheap products and that makes recycling such a lousy idea

So one by one in a corny sense people should really consume less and be less greedy

The real issue is excessive consumerism for cheap products and that makes recycling such a lousy idea

So one by one in a corny sense people should really consume less and be less greedy

You can't blame consumers for wanting a good price for a product. Most have no idea what impact the production of a consumer good has on the environment...specifically.

It's up to the country to make sure manufacturers do the right thing. So yes, they should be less greedy and more environmentally responsible. We can only hope.

Sadly your right. There is no Captain Kirk to say "Make it so" You pretty well cover it in saying self interest and greed but greed should be foremost. I agree with your prediction. This whole charade was just window dressing for the masses. How can countries come up with 17 trillion dollars they are all financially and morally bankrupt. They have however honed the art of stealing from their citizens under the guise of one thing or another. I am glad I will not be around in 2100. Even the next 10 years scare me. Good luck world and especially my g/f, children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

You can't blame consumers for wanting a good price for a product. Most have no idea what impact the production of a consumer good has on the environment...specifically.

It's up to the country to make sure manufacturers do the right thing. So yes, they should be less greedy and more environmentally responsible. We can only hope.

I agree on this and hence I support China's drive to close these factories down. However in saying so , there will be some detractors that will come out and take the opportunity to bash China as their $1 Halloween decoration days are over along with the $5 trickle boxes of Christmas lights and shiny reindeers

Most consumers need to be realistic , if you want a quality product that is made environmentally friendly like an iphone it will cost you

I agree on this and hence I support China's drive to close these factories down. However in saying so , there will be some detractors that will come out and take the opportunity to bash China as their $1 Halloween decoration days are over along with the $5 trickle boxes of Christmas lights and shiny reindeers

Most consumers need to be realistic , if you want a quality product that is made environmentally friendly like an iphone it will cost you

I think you underestimate the consumer. If they feel it's for the right cause, a few extra dollars won't be a big deal. I know many who buy with this in mind. If they have an option. Which is not always the case.

I guess it's also up to the Western retailers. If they know it's not being manufactured properly, they shouldn't source from there. Right? Greed all the way around.

I think you underestimate the consumer. If they feel it's for the right cause, a few extra dollars won't be a big deal. I know many who buy with this in mind. If they have an option. Which is not always the case.

I guess it's also up to the Western retailers. If they know it's not being manufactured properly, they shouldn't source from there. Right? Greed all the way around.

Agree with you , when China started out it was their ignorance that led to many scrupulous companies coming in to sign profit driven contracts that was not environmentally friendly or realistic to continue those business practices long term

I agree with you that there are responsible consumers that would not buy an irresponsible product

When I visit target and Walmart in USA and see how many product are being retailed at such cheap prices ...it tears me inside as I know there are Low income families that needs a price break and savings for the family and also the fact it's polluting Low income families in China suffering for this

There is no real easy solution as we need that balance in today's world or a growing population