Building a house, want a foreman/supervisor

Kunjay

To oversea the building process as

Obviously they would need to be an engineer and Thai .

I've heard to many bad stories including one from a friend who said his builder was using cheaper products with different measurments from the initial design plans.

Any sujestions?

If/when I build I'd want to oversee myself....

I have a buddy that lives here that has done custom work for the likes of Elvis, James Cameron, etc.

When he built his house he bought all quality stuff.....The trouble was he was always shuffling through workers - some drunk - some lazy - some poor/lazy craftmanship - some only their "Thai" way/shortcuts/bad quality/some walk away because they don't to work hard.......He's overseen a few builds in the area for friends and it's always the same battle.....

A neighbor just did an 8 million baht renovation to their house and from daily observation about 50% crappy work.....

Our house in an good moo baan has electrical and plumbing issues from poor materials and work.....

I shudder to think what a big earthquake would do here....

Edited by pgrahmm

A foreigner with a large restaurant/pub hired me once to supervise local workers for an internal renovation job, as I speak Thai, have a building construction/woodworking background, also had a house build in Thailand in the past and knowing all the mistakes and problems they make soon as you turn your ass. Perhaps I should have made my job of it here... Working forces can do most things, but often not with someone holding their hand because they are stupid beyond believe and make a mess in no time, steal stuff or bury their rubbish in your garden...

Ask your neighbours to recommend a local builder. If found, ask the chief builder to take you round to other homes he has built. Inspect the homes and ask the people that live in the homes he has built, how much it cost them? If satisfied hire the building contractor to do the job.

If you do not have knowledge for the prices of the building materials and daily charges for labour and a Falang, be prepared to pay much more then the locals and be ripped off something rotten no matter what builder you hire.

I did it myself was not that difficult if you have a copy of the plans . I checked everything going in the house watched and photographed everything . I was lucky I had an honest builder . Only screw up I missed was the location of the house on the lot . But was no big deal ....

I did it myself was not that difficult if you have a copy of the plans . I checked everything going in the house watched and photographed everything . I was lucky I had an honest builder . Only screw up I missed was the location of the house on the lot . But was no big deal ....

I guess it was easy because you dont have a building background; therefore you dont know what to look for; don't know whats likely to go wrong and technical details such as the adequate falls on drainage, how to make safe electrical connections.

Only summising you dont have a building background but would you have also done the same in your homeland or even represent yourself in a court case.

Personally I find it a bit rich that farangs here think they have more building knowledge than Thai builders here. unless they have a construction background then they dont!

As for the OP needing a project manager, yes its a great link between builder and client especially if they are English speaking. most reputable builders able to take on projects over 2/3 million would normally have someone in a similar capacity. the local builder, no, forget it and I suspect its not going to be easy to find a freelancer.

I guess it was easy because you dont have a building background; therefore you dont know what to look for; don't know whats likely to go wrong and technical details such as the adequate falls on drainage, how to make safe electrical connections.

Only summising you dont have a building background but would you have also done the same in your homeland or even represent yourself in a court case.

Personally I find it a bit rich that farangs here think they have more building knowledge than Thai builders here. unless they have a construction background then they dont!

As for the OP needing a project manager, yes its a great link between builder and client especially if they are English speaking. most reputable builders able to take on projects over 2/3 million would normally have someone in a similar capacity. the local builder, no, forget it and I suspect its not going to be easy to find a freelancer.

you might be assuming too much .... all I can say is my house was built by the specs of the plans , 3 years no cracks no issues . If you pick a good builder you ll get a good house . Sometimes cheeper is not better ... Edited by BB1955