Trials Motorcycles are they available and expensive here?

BBJ

I'm interested in the idea of buying a trials bike for some local fun when I don't have the time to do a long ride. Not to far from me, literally cutting through farm tracks it a decent and rocky place for some trials fun. I haven't seen or heard too much about bikes such as Gas Gas or similar and wondered if anyone knows if they are available and not to ridiculously expensive if they are.

gas-gas-txt-racing-001.jpg

A couple of weeks a go I did see a Ranger with a couple on the bike so they must be available.

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Not road legal is the entire point!

Provided you have somewhere to ride it off-road or as you point out a truck to get it there. If it isn't far, I am sure you could illegally ride it on the road, particularly in the bahn nork.

Not road legal then what is the Point? Need a truck to get it to the Bike Trails..I Pass

He doesn't want it for the road, duh! You pass? I presume you didn't want one anyway and I didn't see anyone offering you one.

@BBJ: As briggsy says, if you live up country then no one would care if you rode it on the roads anyway.

Not road legal then what is the Point? Need a truck to get it to the Bike Trails..I Pass

Its not a trials bike if it is road legal for a start.The nature of the beast makes this impossible on a full trials bike

They dont even have a seat, because they are designed to be ridden standing up using body english and constant throttle/clutch manipulation.

You could nip down the road a fairly short distance to get to a suitable venue, but hard work if going far.

A guy i had the pleasure of riding with not so long ago had a trials riding background/start and he told me and showed how much benefit a trials bike experience is for future multi-type motorcycling .He showed full and total bike control mastery at high and low speeds and all in between.

Bultaco(Gas Gas) have seen in Pattaya last year for 50K, over the years in total no more than 5 for sale and most expensive was 100K...fantastic bike, shame they wernt road legal as well.

Not bad at all. Expected them to be way over that price.

As stated in the OP! Local fun, not long runs. I guess I assumed biker people knew the can and can't of a trials bike.

Edited by BBJ

Precise bike control is the point. In countries where Trials is a thing, comparing the average rider who has won a few trophies at the lowest level of competition to the average street rider is like comparing Eric Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughn to a 4 thumbed bass player.

Seen a yam ty 250 and another euro brand (forget) 250 sitting for sale for months at a around 40-50k

seen plenty of honda tlr 200s going for 20-30

search thy will be found

Please keep us informed, either by PM or posts on this thread if you come across any more trials bikes, especially any of the above. TLR 200 Hondas for 20-30k. I'm interested, and need/want another trials project. The things are bloody addictive.

• 3 weeks later...

OP; had any luck? Found one yet?

Me, i'm getting more and more into mine, to the point where i realised my steel toe capped work boots were now actually holding me back. After hunting around the web, worldwide for half decent shipping prices (US +$70, UK +£50), plus probable import/customs charges this end, i found a place in OZ. Ordered a pair of Forma Boulder trials boots for AUS $299 inc free shipping as an xmas prezzie to myself.

OP; had any luck? Found one yet?

Me, i'm getting more and more into mine, to the point where i realised my steel toe capped work boots were now actually holding me back. After hunting around the web, worldwide for half decent shipping prices (US +$70, UK +£50), plus probable import/customs charges this end, i found a place in OZ. Ordered a pair of Forma Boulder trials boots for AUS $299 inc free shipping as an xmas prezzie to myself.

I picked up a pair of Forma Boulder boots a few weeks ago. I bought them at Paddock in BKK. 8500 baht is the listed price. They seem to be pretty good quality. They have the SIDI trials boots also; more expensive.

Yeah, i had a look around the Thai websites, before looking abroad, only saw the Alpine Stars No Stop trials boots @ Paddock, and they are not my cup of tea - too modern looking (and expensive). The Boulders are still retro enough for my tastes especially in brown. After speaking to my trials shop contact in the UK, he reccommended the Forma Boulders as the best of the mid range boots. Frankly, i also doubted if any Thai shop would stock my size; US 13, UK 12, Euro 47. I'm 6'3" and 100kgs...

Did you buy your Formas for trials work or just general dual sport riding? 8.5k is a decent price for over here.

Yeah, i had a look around the Thai websites, before looking abroad, only saw the Alpine Stars No Stop trials boots @ Paddock, and they are not my cup of tea - too modern looking (and expensive). The Boulders are still retro enough for my tastes especially in brown. After speaking to my trials shop contact in the UK, he reccommended the Forma Boulders as the best of the mid range boots. Frankly, i also doubted if any Thai shop would stock my size; US 13, UK 12, Euro 47. I'm 6'3" and 100kgs...

Did you buy your Formas for trials work or just general dual sport riding? 8.5k is a decent price for over here.

Size 47; I see your point. I'm size 43. I use them for dual sport riding. I use a pair of Gaerne Balance when I return home. The Forma are a lot roomier in the toe area IMO, I think maybe the Gaerne is better quality though,

Edited by drift

AUS$299. Very decent price. Very comfy. Very grippy soles. Had 45 mins on them yesterday, transformed my riding and confidence. No more sore feet after 20 mins on the pegs. No more hesitation going thru the dodgy stuff that used to cut/bruise my shins. Weighting the pegs for tight turns rather than just the bars. First proper motorcycle boots i've ever owned in 39 years of riding. Beat the crap out of steel toed cap work boots.

Now off for another session before it gets too hot...

post-139129-0-11534300-1452485016_thumb.

post-139129-0-84708400-1452485037_thumb.