Budget flights launched from Thailand to Europe

webfact

Budget flights launched from Thailand to Europe
By Coconuts Bangkok

suvarnabhumi_reuters.jpg
File photo of a plane taking off from Suvarnabhumi Airport. Photo: Reuters

BANGKOK: -- Budget travelers can now hop on a cheap flight to Europe as low-cost German carrier Eurowings launches flights to Bangkok and Phuket this week.

Its first flight from Cologne to Phuket leaves on Friday, while its first flight from Cologne to Suvarnabhumi departs next Monday.

Flights from Bangkok to Cologne or Bonn will take off at 6.25am every Monday and 9.20am every Thursday, while flights from Phuket will leave at 2.05pm every Tuesday and 6.35am every Saturday.

Travelers can then connect to the UK, Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/16/budget-flights-launched-thailand-europe

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-12-16

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Nation" has a report with more details.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Eurowings-leads-in-budget-flights-from-Europe-to-S-30274993.html

Their pricing allows for very oneway flghts from BKK to Cologne (not easy with other airlines).

Prices in offseason start below 12000 Baht for the oneway incl. 23 kg baggage and a meal.

Edited by KhunBENQ

12k baht = 457 Canadian dollars.

Not cheap.

What a useful post.

Would you let us share your valuable knowledge and give an example for a cheaper oneway from Bangkok.

I'm just sayin' it's not cheap.

My mom is coming to visit me from Toronto which is a lot longer flight than anywhere in Europe.

Total cost including tax with China Eastern = 908 CAD (return)

" Budget travelers can now hop on a cheap flight to Europe as low-cost German carrier Eurowings launches ... "

Presumably Eurowings' marketing-department didn't notice that Norwegian, the third-largest LCC in Europe, started flying to Bangkok a year or so ago, but then again claiming to be first sounds so much better than being an also-ran ! And of course Air Asia tried it a few years back too.

Sure that this topic was mentioned in a previous post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/869181-cheapest-flights-for-years/

True, just that it now has reached Thai journals tongue.png

In Germany it is a topic since quite a while.

Lufthansa pushing its LCC.

Very fierce strikes since long by the "grandfathered" staff with their ample pay slip.

AIRLINE
Eurowings leads in budget flights from Europe to SE Asia

Suchat Sritama
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Eurowings, Lufthansa Group’s long-haul budget airline, commences operations to Thailand this week, making it the first European low-cost carrier to link with Southeast Asia.

Its first flight will be from Cologne to Phuket International Airport on Friday, reaching Thailand the following day.

The initial flight on the second route - from Cologne to Suvarnabhumi Airport - leaves Germany on December 21, arriving the following day.

Christian Hein, senior vice president for sales at Eurowings, said air travel in the Asia and Pacific region would continue to grow thanks to the area's booming economy and a continued increase in the number of international travellers.

Southeast Asia in particular is becoming a true emerging market for low-cost airline business, since all nations in the region will become a single market under the Asean Economic Community from the beginning of next year, he said.

Asean is globally the third-largest region in terms of population, the fifth-largest in trading power, and the ninth-largest global economy, he added.

Germany-based Lufthansa Group wanted to expand its low-cost network to Southeast Asia and decided to make Thailand its spearhead for linking Europe and the region, he explained. The move is part of a global expansion following Lufthansa Group's rebranding of the airline from Germanwings to Eurowings.

Eurowings currently flies to 11 destinations worldwide.

The spreading of the carrier's wings into Southeast Asia will serve the budget segment, giving Lufthansa Group full-service capability in its operations into Thailand, which it currently serves via Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines and Swiss.

"Bangkok is now the hub linking to neighbouring countries. The group has already appointed sales companies in the region, except in Laos," he said. The group has signed a code-sharing agreement with Thai Airways Interna-tional and Bangkok Airways in order to serve travellers flying from Thailand to Europe. Currently, the group operates a total of 25 flights per week from the Kingdom to Europe.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Eurowings-leads-in-budget-flights-from-Europe-to-S-30274993.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-16

yes... norwegian.no flies regularly for around 7000 baht one way... without luggage of course and food....

That is osl-bkk

Not cheap.

What a useful post.

Would you let us share your valuable knowledge and give an example for a cheaper oneway from Bangkok.

I paid only 22k baht for a 6 month return from the UK

Again and again:

DON'T compare flights FROM Europe TO Thailand with prices for the opposite direction!

And don't divide return prices by 2 and assume you have a oneway price!

You probably have not noticed that there is big difference between the different directions.

Of course there are cheap/cheaper flights depending on season from Europe to Thailand.

I live in Thailand and have an interest in flights FROM THAILAND!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Ok , but will BGK-GER-BGK again be FAR more expensive than GER-BGK-GER ?

You could take advantage of their cheaper one-way and reverse your return ticket to start in EU.

I've never understood why the airlines apparently charge so much more for return flights originating in SEAsia rather than EU. Anyone got any inside info? ;)

Not cheap.

What a useful post.

12k baht = 300 €, you can get return flights for 375 € and as most passengers want to return that is not cheap at all.

I've never understood why the airlines apparently charge so much more for return flights originating in SEAsia rather than EU. Anyone got any inside info? wink.png

Yes, it's called demand and supply that tends to influence pricing.

I paid only 22k baht for a 6 month return from the UK

Again and again:

DON'T compare flights FROM Europe TO Thailand with prices for the opposite direction!

And don't divide return prices by 2 and assume you have a oneway price!

You probably have not noticed that there is big difference between the different directions.

Of course there are cheap/cheaper flights depending on season from Europe to Thailand.

I live in Thailand and have an interest in flights FROM THAILAND!

I cant follow all those enthusiasts about the one way ticket prices..

The way back they walk then or what ???

I fly about 4 times yearly Thailand-Europe-Thailand.. always return :-)

But that the prices for example ZRH-BKK-ZRH can be 799 and the other way round

the cheapest one in same class about double (same period, same airline) is a DIRTY

pricing about most airlines!!!

Ok , but will BGK-GER-BGK again be FAR more expensive than GER-BGK-GER ?

You could take advantage of their cheaper one-way and reverse your return ticket to start in EU.

I've never understood why the airlines apparently charge so much more for return flights originating in SEAsia rather than EU. Anyone got any inside info? wink.png

You are right.... BUT - then for those live in Thailand the Europe-Thailand_Europe ticket must bee a 6 month or 12 month

validity ticket. and they are not cheap in Europe too. A little cheaper then in Thailand yes - but not a big one..

Not cheap.

What a useful post.

I'm just sayin' it's not cheap.

My mom is coming to visit me from Toronto which is a lot longer flight than anywhere in Europe.

Total cost including tax with China Eastern = 908 CAD (return)

That's about 27,000 baht.

My friend in Canada has been searching China Eastern on various dates and can't find anything below 35,000 baht via Shanghai. Can I ask where/ who you got this fare with and the time of year your mum is coming?

I'd think twice before booking a flight. These reviews say it all.

http://www.airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/germanwings/

A quick scan of the comments shows that most complaints were by people paying minimum and expecting maximum. Looks like it's no worse the EasyJet, RyanAir, etc, etc. Going "Basic" would need you to be prepared for a seat -- nothing more.