NaviGo Samui – the new taxi app in Koh Samui

webfact

NaviGo Samui – the new taxi app in Koh Samui

ks.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- A new alternative to Samui taxis seems to have emerged in Koh Samui. Navi Go Samui.

There has been endless debate on social media sites such as Roads of Koh Samui regarding the prohibitive cost of NaviGo Samuitaxis in Samui, many of whom still refuse to use their meters. It has long been said that a more consistent service would encourage residents to use taxis more often, resulting in less accidents. It now seems that somebody has come up with a solution. Navi Go Samui.

There are currently 5 licensed cars, and one will come directly to your house using GPS location. There’s 100B booking fee then strictly 30B a kilometer. The price is the same for day time or night time. Estimates online are given prior to booking and the *lower* price (ie 400B – 450B) used. Example: return from the Reggae Pub to Santiburi Mae Nam – 400 baht inclusive.

According to the NaviGo Samui Facebook page you can book a safe and affordable ride in Koh Samui in less than 15 seconds. App features include estimate your trip costs, your driver’s details, and live tracking.

Instructions

1. Download NaviGo Samui App (For FREE).
2. Sign-up for an account (one-time registration).
3. NaviGo Samui will detects your location and sets it in the Pick-up location.
4. Select your Drop-off location.
5. Confirm Booking. And wait for your NaviGo Driver.

For more information on this service visit the Navi Go Samui Facebook page by clicking here.

If you have used this service the Samui Times want to hear about your experiences – please contact us at [email protected]

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-12-17

The entire transport system on Samui is completely broken, the mayor does nothing, to improve it, and the government has never cared one iota about that island. No effort has ever been made to develop any sort of public transportation. This new taxi app still sounds quite expensive. But, any alternative to the taxi scoundrel heathens has got to be an improvement.

Drivers should watch their backs carefully if this starts eating into someones profits.

It is not the drivers of the Samui taxis, rather the owners of the cabs you need to worry about.

If farangs are thinking of driving, think again. Soon you will have some very nasty attention from all sorts. ph34r.png

The entire transport system on Samui is completely broken, the mayor does nothing, to improve it, and the government has never cared one iota about that island. No effort has ever been made to develop any sort of public transportation. This new taxi app still sounds quite expensive. But, any alternative to the taxi scoundrel heathens has got to be an improvement.

Yes you keep telling us that, many of us find it not to be the case....coffee1.gif

Yes you keep telling us that, many of us find it not to be the case....coffee1.gif

Were you referring specifically to the public transportation system? You mean the trams, monorails, natural gas jitneys, or just the low cost buses that ply the island and allow tourists and locals to get around in a convenient and inexpensive manner? Were those the areas you disagree with me about? Or are you referring to the super competent mayor, who is constantly improving the island, dealing with traffic safety, and congestion, and putting his heart and soul into improving life on the island? Curious as to what part you find not to be the case?

• 2 weeks later...

had guests at my villa use the navigo taxis

absolutely fantastic is their response

previously had used a taxi to choeng mon beach which charged them 400 baht for 3 km trip

with navigo were charged 190 baht

100 baht calling fee and 30 baht per km

our guests have now used them from that point onwards

apparently they have 15 vehicles already and are wanting to expand due to huge demand

at last some competition for the taxi rouges

My first time in Samui. Can't believe the taxi system. Many taxis all available with a fixed quoted price. 800 and 400. To most places around the island. I live in bkk and along with the tgf travel most places in taxi. Like Pattaya, hua hin, Samet etc. The prices here in Samui are a controlled monopoly. Even the private guys sick to prescribed fee. Is the word Mafia too strong a description.??

Edited by jacksam

Saw lots of them at the port of Nathon this week. Brown & yellow brigade shouting "taxi taxi, where you go" . Just like being in Bangkok. One phrase to learn here for newcomers remember. "Mai ow" . Meaning you dont want it!

• 3 months later...

I do not catch someting with Navigo Samui supposed to be cheaper: 100Baht+30Baht per Kilometre OK?

From my house in Lamai not far IT center, to Nathon pier, 22 km, so it would cost me 100+30X22 = 760 Bahts, any Taxi asked 600 Bahts where is the mistake?sad.png

I do not catch someting with Navigo Samui supposed to be cheaper: 100Baht+30Baht per Kilometre OK?

From my house in Lamai not far IT center, to Nathon pier, 22 km, so it would cost me 100+30X22 = 760 Bahts, any Taxi asked 600 Bahts where is the mistake?sad.png

For shorter trips its probably a bit cheaper, but not much, I think Navigo is also quite a rip off actually, the price per kilometre is only 5.5 Baht in Bangkok, so thats almost 6 times higher.

People keep telling Taxi prices need to be higher in Bangkok, maybe somehow I can understand it as probably the cost of living is almost double, but also consider that actually the whole city of Bangkok is a traffic jam, while most of the time traffic in Samui still flows pretty good, which means drivers could get much more rides.

For shorter trips its probably a bit cheaper, but not much, I think Navigo is also quite a rip off actually, the price per kilometre is only 5.5 Baht in Bangkok, so thats almost 6 times higher.

People keep telling Taxi prices need to be higher in Bangkok, maybe somehow I can understand it as probably the cost of living is almost double, but also consider that actually the whole city of Bangkok is a traffic jam, while most of the time traffic in Samui still flows pretty good, which means drivers could get much more rides.

OK better understanding, I downloaded the App on my iPhone, knowing that maybe I will never use it, it is not even sure it is cheaper for a shorter trip.

why anyone would want to use Taxis on Samui or Phuket when rent cars from the most reputable companies usually can be had for as low as 900-1000 Baht a day (except peak season) is a mystery to me....

why anyone would want to use Taxis on Samui....is a mystery to me.blink.png

Some do not read the TV forum only for the crimes and robberies, the daily fatal road accidents on the deadliest roads of the world, not forgetting the always cheating Thai wifes stories (only ex bar girls by the way) but could be interested in topical issues about the Island smile.png

Between you and me I have a motorbike my wife her own and we have a 7 seats car, so I did not asked a question related to the taxis Navigo arriving in Samui because-mysteriously-like-any-one-in-Samui-or-Phuket I would want to use a taxi but for I like to know what's happening on the Island.

Sometimes I have short time neighbours asking about taxis, Navigo would have been a bargain I could have told them to use it. wai.gif

• 3 months later...

The people behing this NaviGo app is the Poolsawad family. So they are erm "well connected" enough here in Samui to challenge the taxi cartell.

I for one welcome this alternative to the overly overpriced Samui taxis.

In over a decade here I have seen announcements of changes in the taxi regulations. I am not aware of any improvements with the taxi prices or behavior and have never seen any other public transport other than the motorcycle taxis, and they don't seem to have the usual public visibility here on Samui. What have you seen that leads you to not agree with the post above, Jimmy?

In over a decade here I have seen announcements of changes in the taxi regulations. I am not aware of any improvements with the taxi prices or behavior and have never seen any other public transport other than the motorcycle taxis, and they don't seem to have the usual public visibility here on Samui. What have you seen that leads you to not agree with the post above, Jimmy?

Jimmy has not seen anything. He simply has a knee jerk tendency to defend Samui. While I respect his sense of loyalty, it is always preferable to intellectual minds, when opinions can be backed up with facts. Samui has had multiple chances to develop effective public transportation for decades. You cannot label the taxi, overpriced tuk tuks, and local mini van services effective public transportation, by any standards. I am referring to an electric monorail around the island, natural gas powered small buses, that drive around the Ring Road every 30 minutes for 20 baht per person, regardless of destination, and the like. Come on guys. You are taking in billions. Spend a small amount of that improving life for the people.

When you are having to spend 400 baht to take a taxi 2 or 3 kilometers, and 100 baht or more for a tuk tuk in the evening, the system is completely broken. It is time to stand up to the taxi mafia, and improve the place. A weak and highly compromised mayor does not help.

How on earth can you defend the "transport system" on this island!! Its totally and utterly appalling in every aspect.

Surely you have a duty to offer sound advice and to defend the dreadful transport system is flagrantly misleading. the songtaews overcharge and often aggressive and the taxis operate illegally, charging obscene prices.

Thats it, you don't need to say anymore, thanks. And thats all anyone traveling here needs to know and then they can make their minds up.

Having encountered more Bear Traps than 'Unlucky Alf' during your decade long incarceration on the island (you surely weren't here voluntarily?) please enlighten us as to what the food is like in Hua Hin ICU...

Unlucky-Alf.JPG

Edited by evadgib

Sorry to not have mentioned the songtaews (no tuk tuks here). They do indeed constitute a sort of bus system. Having them change from a (supposed) fixed price in the daytime to more predatory pricing later sort of takes them into the taxi realm, but it is good to have them around, especially for local Samui people. The minibus services are all private, not a public transport except that they obviously work out arrangements to preserve the taxi owners clout while getting some business themselves. It all makes it pretty embarrassing to have guests visiting the island.

SpiderMike, while I am mostly in agreement with your comments here, you also seem to be offering a lot more opinion than facts.