Suggestions on where to have dinner party this weekend

Oscar2

i've been given the chore of looking for a place to have a dinner party this Sunday for 6 people. i am probably the worst person to do this as i don't think many restaurants in C.M. are any good and i seldom dine out. that's just my personal opinion. it's something the wife wants to organize but she is tied up with out of town clients for the next 2 days and fell short on time. so i was just handed the task.

basically we'd like someplace scenic/traditional that serves both Thai and Western food. But one of the Thai guests doesn't like Lanna cuisine so looking for more traditional Thai fare as opposed to Suntharee or somewhere. we love the ambiance at River Market but quite frankly don't think the food is very good there. we like Dave and love the Duke's but don't care for the River Market food. we like the Antique House on the C.M.-Lamphun Road very much, but no Western food (that i can recall). i keep seeing a place recommended on facebook by both Thais and farangs called the Red Tree that looks very beautiful but i don't think they serve Thai food. No? does that place in Hang Dong with the beautiful gardens Khao Mao - or something like that - have Western food too?

any ideas anyone? i'm terrible at this kind of thing. help! thanks in advance!

Personally, I think the food at River Market is just fine. But, if you don't like it, but would like a similar ambiance, just go down the street to the Anantara Hotel (formerly the Chedi Hotel). A little more pricey, but some nice menu options and very pretty along the river this time of year.

Recommend Good View Village for this sort of party. Very festive, giant menu with fair value and good quality Thai and Western dishes. It's searchable on tripadvisor, but as with most places on that site, the map to the location lies. It's searchable by name on google maps too, and is just off Canal Rd on the 700 Pi road that runs down to Big C, south of the airport (18.749122, 98.943617). You'll need reservations for a Saturday, and going out there to make the reservations would be a good way to check it out before committing, and also give you practice finding it.

I thought a dinner party, was what you had at home, entertaining guests....

usually, yes...but we find ourselves both so busy this week with business that neither have any motivation whatsoever (or the time involved) to clean, then shop for and cook for 6 people......and then clean up all over again.....

Many in our circle live in small condos. A dinner party (maybe) starts out with wine in your condo and then moves onto a restaurant for the main event. We host full dinner parties in our condo just 2 or 3 times a year and having six people is a major, major effort involving the other two couples doing some of the cooking from their kitchens elsewhere in the same condo building.

If you are looking for an attractive place by the river with both Thai and Western food, I suggest Samsen Villa. It is in the ground floor of Rimping condo, right opposite the US Consulate. The location, beside the river, is attractive. The Thai food is good and there is a limited range of Western food. There is plenty of private parkng and prices are very reasonable for the location and quality.

If you are looking for an attractive place by the river with both Thai and Western food, I suggest Samsen Villa. It is in the ground floor of Rimping condo, right opposite the US Consulate. The location, beside the river, is attractive. The Thai food is good and there is a limited range of Western food. There is plenty of private parkng and prices are very reasonable for the location and quality.

thanks for reminding me neilrob. i've forgotten about Samsen Villa. i once had a fabulous birthday party there. yes, you are right. the food is excellent there and the location is nice.

usually, yes...but we find ourselves both so busy this week with business that neither have any motivation whatsoever (or the time involved) to clean, then shop for and cook for 6 people......and then clean up all over again.....

Having stated in your post the array of "personal" likes and dislikes of your guests, I don't think that you could ever in a month of Sundays be able to cater to them in your own home and through your own efforts!

Archived