Friend unable to exit via Nong Khai

Why could he not transfer the stamps from his old PP into his new PP at any Immigration as is normally the case? He was told that this was because he was on a overstay, is this correct?

Yes. Because he had nothing to transfer. His stay had expired and he was on overstay.

I understand this but why was he allowed to leave and pay the overstay via the Airport however not via a land crossing?

I don't know.

I assume that it is to do with the new/invalid passport issue and not having an entry stamp in the new passport being used to exit. If the old passport is invalid then it can't be used. I don't think it has anything to do with the overstay.

Edit:

The IO would have to stamp the exit in his invalid passport (not sure if thats possible). When he entered Laos he wouldn't have an exit stamp from Thailand in the new passport so they wouldn't let him in. So that is probably the reason. Flying gets around the exit stamp issue.

I think you are wrong about having to stamp the exit in the old passport. Once expired, no more stamps nor visas go on to the old passport. Same as probably has happened at the airport - I am pretty sure the exit stamp was given in the new passport.

As for why he wasn't allowed out through Nongkhai - I have no idea. Could have been a local decision of the IO. He could have waited for the shift to change and try again with another officer.

I don't know.

I assume that it is to do with the new/invalid passport issue and not having an entry stamp in the new passport being used to exit. If the old passport is invalid then it can't be used. I don't think it has anything to do with the overstay.

Edit:

The IO would have to stamp the exit in his invalid passport (not sure if thats possible). When he entered Laos he wouldn't have an exit stamp from Thailand in the new passport so they wouldn't let him in. So that is probably the reason. Flying gets around the exit stamp issue.

I think you are wrong about having to stamp the exit in the old passport. Once expired, no more stamps nor visas go on to the old passport. Same as probably has happened at the airport - I am pretty sure the exit stamp was given in the new passport.

As for why he wasn't allowed out through Nongkhai - I have no idea. Could have been a local decision of the IO. He could have waited for the shift to change and try again with another officer.

It's the only thing that makes sense. IO's seem to want entry and exit stamps in the same passport. If the IO stamped the old passport the person wouldn't have an exit stamp from Thailand when entering Laos and would be denied entry. Therefore, they wouldn't let him leave by land and sent him to the airport where the exit stamp rule doesn't apply.

I don't think this makes sense as another friend had the same issue with overstay and stamps being transferred at Nong Khai 6 months ago and had no issues exiting

It would seem to be a new rule as another poster has said and indeed my friend was told by the IO

Saying that TiT so who knows laugh.png

Edited by darrendsd

I don't think this makes sense as another friend had the same issue with overstay and stamps being transferred at Nong Khai 6 months ago and had no issues exiting

It would seem to be a new rule as another poster has said and indeed my friend was told by the IO

Saying that TiT so who knows laugh.png

A lot of things can change within six months. We know that it is the declared aim of the Immigration Bureau to make life more difficult for overstayers and it should not come as a surprise that while waiting for a Royal decree to give them the authority to blacklist overstayers, they will exploit means under existing legislation for this purpose.

The whole affair could have been avoided with simple advance planning or even obtaining emergency passport. Overstay is not the wink and smile affair it may have been in the pre-terrorist world.

It wasn't what the question was about but thanks for your input, I think he knows this already