Common Rail Vs Regular

Gary A

Has anyone been able to compare fuel economy between the newer commonrail fuel systems and the older systems? I can understand that the newer system is quieter but was curious if the fuel economy is better, the same or worse.

Has anyone been able to compare fuel economy between the newer commonrail fuel systems and the older systems? I can understand that the newer system is quieter but was curious if the fuel economy is better, the same or worse.

Common rail uses less fuel as it is precisely delivered by the computer/ ecu system.

The biggest problem with common rail is that the ordinary man in the street cant fix like the older stytem, but biggest of all is the expense if main high pressure pump, or injectors need replacing.

I run several mercedes vehicles/cars with common rail, and had some horrendes bills !

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut you cant run older technolgy for ever, well not here in UK as the mot/ truck tests are so severe.

Example up the the early nineties you could see really smokey lorries and busses, common rail has stopped all that ! hope this helps..... Roy

Edited by roytheboy

Your comments are interesting. The salesman at the Chevy dealer told me they have had a number of problems with the commonrail fuel systems caused by poor quality diesel fuel. The old system doesn't have that problem. I pretty much ignored the comments because they were trying to sell me a leftover that didn't have the commonrail system.

Your comments are interesting. The salesman at the Chevy dealer told me they have had a number of problems with the commonrail fuel systems caused by poor quality diesel fuel. The old system doesn't have that problem. I pretty much ignored the comments because they were trying to sell me a leftover that didn't have the commonrail system.

Buy the older one Gary ! get a good discount !!! lol The USA has much poorer quality diesel than the EU, and as such when the eu wants to import say Audi or mercedes diesel cars they are now having to import the fuel to get them past Usa regulations.

I hate common rail it is 3 steps forward, and one step back, and the end punter has to pay lots more ! any critics and I got a answer for all the post pullers ! I spent a life time running/ dismantling heavy plant/ trucks cranes all had diesel engines.

The best engine for a 4x4 is a six pot lump with inline fuel pump, turboed and intercooled, that is forgetting v.8 petrols, and who can afford to run them, only the Arabs, or gas gussling Yanks.

The ulimate 4x4 diesel is the nissan Patrol 4.2 diesel from japan, as above, and with no cat converter, plenty in Australia, This motor will outlast you !!! I would import on next week, but the eu won't let them in !

Mercedes have now gone from 6 pot lumps to either 4 cylinder, or v 6 diesels, outcome is never gonna last like the older ones.

Thailand I guess is not so stringent on pollution control from vehicle immissions

Japan made vehicles are the best money can buy, trust me !!! thats my few cents worth ! ...Roy

When gasoline engines went from the carburetor to fuel injection I heard a lot of complaining too. Before that they went from the points and condenser ignition to the electronic ignition. It appears that both newer systems are here to stay.

I guess we have to face the fact that the days of the barnyard mechanics are over. I cut my teeth on GM 71 series diesels. They had unit injectors and were VERY easy to service. At that time I couldn't imaging anything better than a two stroke diesel engine with each cylinder having its own fuel system. You could change the direction the engine ran by moving the cam and the blower to the other side of the engine. That made them ideal for boats where you wanted the screws to turn in opposite directions.

GarryA very interesting, I wonder if this answers a question I posed sometime back.

QUESTION? Why do so many of the new pick-ups in Thailand emit black smoke. Operative word being new.

Certainly inferior fuel was always considered as part of the answer, couple that with common rail revelations in this post and :o