Modular Helmet

canthai55

I did consider a Schuberth the last time I could afford a helmet change. Very nice helmet.

I have always used Shoei's and I decided to go for a 'Neotec' instead. Shoei's are great lids and I am happy with it, but some do complain of wind noise.

I think the most important thing when choosing a helmet is to find the brand that is modelled on your shape of head.

There is some question about riding with the chin piece up with some helmets as some have not passed the tests in the raised position and also may possibly make injuries worse. But at lower speeds I will ride with the front up on mine.

We have an issue in the UK with petrol stations telling bikers to remove helmets before being allowed to pay, the flip front removes the requirement as the cashers can see our faces, although some still want to argue!

Edited by CarolJadzia

I did consider a Schuberth the last time I could afford a helmet change. Very nice helmet.

I have always used Shoei's and I decided to go for a 'Neotec' instead. Shoei's are great lids and I am happy with it, but some do complain of wind noise.

I think the most important thing when choosing a helmet is to find the brand that is modelled on your shape of head.

There is some question about riding with the chin piece up with some helmets as some have not passed the tests in the raised position and also may possibly make injuries worse. But at lower speeds I will ride with the front up on mine.

We have an issue in the UK with petrol stations telling bikers to remove helmets before being allowed to pay, the flip front removes the requirement as the cashers can see our faces, although some still want to argue!

Do they do that with Burka's ?

Do they do that with Burka's ?

No, burka's are allowed and of course Sikhs do not have to wear helmets on religious grounds.

There have been many arguments at filling stations with cashiers refusing to serve bikers because of it. Like someone who is going to rob the place is going to take notice of a sign!

Stupid people, but hey ho.

Garage-protest3-398x204.jpg

I've got a 'ROOF' Boxer V8 Suzuka and can't remember the last time I worn it, it needs to have the front opened to put on & take off which is a pain due to it's latching mechanism being quite fiddley. It's also heavy on the neck when riding with it open due to the drag caused, overall I find it a bit gimmicky and now just use a piss pot around town and a standard full face on a run.

Only advise I could give is to try one one before parting with your cash.

post-56552-14505002736582_thumb.jpg

I use a Caberg Tourmax (Duke based) which is a modular Enduro style and it is the best helmet I have owned. Comfortable, and quiet. I have had Shoei, Nexx XR1R and more recently the new Nexx XD1 adventure which was total bobbins, and like so many other helmets way overpriced. Check sharp ratings as you will be surprised at some of the test rating from well known manufacturers.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

If you want flip-up or open face consider the Duke. Reasonable price and has the sharp 5 star rating. I would consider flip-up rather than open-face.

As for flip-up and open face. While in its open position it may not be as safe as full face. Serious injuries in the past have been cause by trying to remove an injured person's helmet. Flip-up or open face is said to limit the possibility.

Edited by BBJ

The Sharp ratings are a good measure of safety but not of quality.

All UK helmets must have anti scratch visors for example. My Shoei visor on my old helmet is still usable and that had years of daily use.

While on some cheaper helmets although they are legally anti-scratch, the coating is thinner and they scratch a lot easier.

Also we have found differences in the quality of linings, fixtures and fittings. The inner shell on some is not a proper shell, more like strips of shock absorbent material that will not keep their shock absorbency for as long. Other things like the visor ratchet system - my old shoei's visor still works as new where I have seen some visors on cheaper helmets that are not even ratcheted at all. That can be a real pain at high speed if you want to turn your head.

The other big thing is the shell. I will never choose to use a plastic helmet. Although Polycarbonates and other plastics pass the sharp tests, the plastics can go brittle over time, like garden furniture will do. This is why it is recommended to change them every three years.

In the UK it is also a legal requirement for the helmet to be securely fastened on the riders head. This is where correct fitment is crucial - some helmets even when fastened on different shaped heads may not stay on when needed. I noted in Thailand that many ride without helmets secured. What's the point in wearing a helmet if it will not stay on when needed?

On the point of removal in an accident any helmet can be an issue. We now have 'Biker Down' courses in the UK where we are trained in how to remove helmets if required. The danger is neck injuries so the idea is to keep the head as still as possible and support the neck while carefully rolling the helmet off.

ACM-%20How%20To%20Safely%20Remove%20A%20

Am I correct in guessing that most of these flip-up chin helmet will offer no real protection in a crash ?

They look like they would just crumple or pop out their flimsy side pivots. Fashion over function ?

Depends on the make and model as there are always poor cheap versions that are not up to road use.

But BMW and Shoei System helmets are standard use by UK Police, other emergency responders and Instructors as the 'best of both worlds' when part of what we do every day involves wanting to make face to face contact with people.

post-81192-0-82877300-1451774950_thumb.j

One question that has come up in the past was 'is it legal in the UK to ride with the chin piece up?' and the answer comes down to if the helmet has been tested with the chin raised or down. At one point BMW System helmets had to have the chin locked down but with Shoei's you could ride with them up!

Edited by seedy
large foto

+1 for Shoei Neotec. It's an expensive and relatively heavy helmet but it fits me very well. Bought one at Paddock a couple of years back. Has good ventilation when you're moving, has an integrated sun visor and I really like being able to flip up the front when stuck at a 5-min red light or filtering in rush hour traffic. You can also remove the foam padding sections pretty easily to wash them, and I believe you can also get different size pads to really customise fit to your head.

I have a Nolan Air. The chin guard is removable but I normally keep it in. The ventilation is great but the main reason I love the helmet is because it doesn't restrict my vision. Some of the full face helmets I tried limit peripheral vision and make me claustrophobic.

I have a Nolan Air. The chin guard is removable but I normally keep it in. The ventilation is great but the main reason I love the helmet is because it doesn't restrict my vision. Some of the full face helmets I tried limit peripheral vision and make me claustrophobic.

Thanks for that. One more brand to shop for, see how it fits. My problem with full face too. Also a pain to put on a full face wearing glasses.

Shoei Neotec is the most common modular I know. Nothing wrong with that one, everybody loves it, awesome quality, not cheap but you have to check the version. Usually they sell the Asian version here which is slimmer and often does not fit western heads. That results in the helmet sitting a bit 'on top of your head' means, it is kinda squeezed up... e.g. they call that 'the mushroom' with half helmets.

The Schubert at PandaRider is the Euro version (I think, not sure). It fit my head very good. Often Schuberts are rounder and better for bigger heads. Schubert is the brand BMW sells with their logo on it.

I do love love love the quick close (the micro-lock ratchet lock) system on the Schubert. Thats what drives me nuts on my Arai TourCross 3. I think Shoei Neotec has them as well (I had it on my J-Cruise - they are very similar build).

http://www.schuberth.com/en/products/motorbikes/helmets/c3-pro.html

I love the idea of the Shark. Did not see it anywhere in Bangkok. Also Shark is usually not the same quality as Sheoi, Schubert (and Arai)... but often half the price.

The Shark Evoline 3 looks like a good choice and not silly money too. (10,800b)

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1450503691.957082.jpg

Do you know a place in Bangkok that sells them?

This seems the best source but I haven't tried them yet (or am I associated with the business)

Www.Your-helmets.com

My local Honda Bigwing stock Shark,so might also be worth a try????

Did find this place. Has good reviews. In Thai but the prices and selection is self explanatory.

http://www.helmet2home.com/?lang=th

I'm not connected with him .. But I find helmet2home really convenient .. You can chat to him on LINE messenger, he will take pics of helmets for you, pay him via kasikorn online, he will dispatch within the hour and usually next day service from CM to the Deep South, free shipping - you should have an idea of brands / fitting before ordering but you can leave the lid on, walk about your house and as long as you don't remove the tags, then you can send the helmet back if it doesn't fit.

The guy isn't stupid, I have placed about 5-6 orders for helmets and boots last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, actually, thinking about a PREDATOR helmet.... oh just like it..without the dredd locks..... Would the BIB stop you for wearing this style of helmet?

19395812468_e2f17b9214_z.jpg

I know this guy has been touring Thailand for ages. Never got hassled for his helmet.

Although about a year ago he got pulled and fined for causing offence after a member of the public put a complaint in.

Scary bikers! giggle.gif

Well, actually, thinking about a PREDATOR helmet.... oh just like it..without the dredd locks..... Would the BIB stop you for wearing this style of helmet?

19395812468_e2f17b9214_z.jpg

I know this guy has been touring Thailand for ages. Never got hassled for his helmet.

Although about a year ago he got pulled and fined for causing offence after a member of the public put a complaint in.

Scary bikers! giggle.gif

That has to be the fugliest motorbike I have ever seen, live on the road or in a photo.