Lung Cancer

banK

Hello banK,

Haven't posted since I started following this thread with great attention. Just wanted to share my best wishes and moral support too. I know what you're going through. I've had a cancer in my 30s, first operation in '93, relapse in '96 with 2 more operations. Clean since then, I've had a 10-year followup. It took me several years but I've managed to have my doctor eventually tell me "you're cured". So be confident ! you can thank whomever you believe in for this pneumonia, it's probably what made you discover your tumor a such an early stage. As Sheryl said, not many people have this luck. I'm no doctor (although I work in a hospital and I'm surrounded by doctors) but it's my understanding that at stage 1 with full removal prognosis is good.

Again, my warmest support and best wishes.

Nice to hear of someone winning a battle such as yours, a success such as yours does not come around every day - well done!

Hardly ever been sick all my life - I find it hard to put it down to just luck, I'm convinced there's something else at work here.

Firstly, chest x-ray done in October, I can't recall having one in the past, and then to have another one done in December and then being able to compare them - clear in October but not in December.

Then developing pneumonia and having another x-ray in December, comparing et voila.

Am having a coronary angiogram tomorrow prior to the AAA.

banK

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the Coronary Angiogram yesterday.

All turned out to be normal except - 20 - 30 percent narrowing at late proximal left anterior descending artery

60 - 70 percent narrowing at origin of first diagonal branch.

He said can be treated by meds or stent.

But he has given me clearance to have the aneurysm repair (a graft?). About 4 or 5 hour operation.

banK

All the best for this 2nd operation banK. We're still here with you through our minds.

Has your doctor hinted you about follow-up treatment after the removal of your tumor?

No, not yet but no doubt he will.

banK

Have just come out of ICU again, they thought that I had done something to the AAA, fortunately not. I had been over doing the physio to fully inflate the lung (which is now fully inflated). 4km walk and breathing exercises - Not good for aneurysm. Out now and operation on Thursday.

Talk about luck or whatever it is, the coincidence of finding the cancer at stage 1 and the AAA which was pickup on the PET-CT, which I was told wouldn't have lasted too long, I seem to be blessed.

banK

Hi everyone,I've been,& still am,a personal friend of Bank for nearly 10 years.

I've just spoken with Bank's wife a few mins ago & I'm pleased to inform all of you that Bank had the operation on the 28th of January.

He is still in the I.C.U. Unit, but is recovering well,& he will post as soon as he is well enough to do so.

Hi everyone,I've been,& still am,a personal friend of Bank for nearly 10 years.

I've just spoken with Bank's wife a few mins ago & I'm pleased to inform all of you that Bank had the operation on the 28th of January.

He is still in the I.C.U. Unit, but is recovering well,& he will post as soon as he is well enough to do so.

Happy to hear he is recovering well, thanks Barnsleyman!

Thats really good news. Hope its all upwards from here on.

Talk about luck or whatever it is, the coincidence of finding the cancer at stage 1 and the AAA which was pickup on the PET-CT, which I was told wouldn't have lasted too long, I seem to be blessed.

It was this statement that made me think - what a great attitude/ outlook.

It was my pleasure to inform all of the good hearted & kind & considerate,members who have been very helpful,in following Banks thread, with the up to date information.

I know through speaking to Bank on nearly a day to day basis, that he is overwhelmed with the responses & help that you have all given him,& he is ever so grateful & can't thank you all enough, & that goes from me as well.

I've no doubt at all that Bank will express his thanks & gratitude when he is well & able to.

I will of course keep you all informed if there is any significant development in his progress which I think you should be informed.

Bye for now,& Best Regards to everyone.wai2.gif

Hi everyone,

Bank has just rang me a few minutes ago & he's out of the I.C.U.Unit & back on the private ward.

He's physically & mentally drained,& very tired, but he will post in the near future,knowing him it will probably be tomorrow lol

Best Regards eveyone,& bye for now,wai2.gif

Hello there,

That was the most disheartening thing I have ever been through.

I was in CCU for 6 days, out of those 6 days I slept for about 6 hours! I was staring at this painting of a purple flower - a bit alternative whereby you could interpret it several ways, this was sitting next to the clock - it was driving me loopy! After day 3 of absolutely no sleep I asked them to take it down - then I was starring at the clock full time!

I developed a fever up to 39.3, yoyoed around this. I was now past tired and couldn't sleep even if it was possible.

All the rooms in CCU have glass doors that look into the central bit and the lights are on 24/7. They have curtains but are never closed except for maintenance of the patients.

At this time i was trying to cough up phlegm success rate about 0.00000001%. This was cramping up my wound each time. I had morphine every 2 hours - no discernible difference - however I was told it would give me constipation another problem! So I stopped it and had paracetamol instead, this had no effect either, so didn't take anything.

On day 5 begged the doctor to give me a sleeping pill - he did, a very strong one. I don't know what they call it but it made me hallucinate It didn't immediately send me to sleep, but I was compelled to keep my eyes closed to see what was going on - I'm not joking -the whole world was on the move every one covered in mud - could follow individuals to see where they were going, even the mountains were on the move. I did eventually sleep about 5 hours.

Then the coughing started in earnest - at this point I thought I was going to die! I started to bring up this green stuff, apparently from the small bowel.and asked whether they could relieve it by shoving a tube down my throat via my nose. Even the pain and gagging was a better alternative - my advice don't get it done when conscience!!

This really helped.

After day six made it to the room.

The first night in the room slept - next day no fever

yesterday was too knackered to do anything except some physio - how important this is.

So today I'm keeping you informed.

Sorry for the ramble, it 's just how I feel.

Thanks sincerely for your concern - much appreciated.

Later

banK

Sounds terrible, but at least you are posting and keeping us informed.

Seems like a massive nightmare, but you are getting through...surely things can only get better from here on in.

We have been waiting with baited breath for this post

We are all rooting for you, whenever I click on Thai Visa you are the first person I think about and go directly to the health forum ...used to be the Chiang Mai forum.

Keep getting better, and keep posting.

With best wishes

TP

Glad to hear from you. Lack of sleep in ICU is common and in many patients will even provoke psychosis, relieved once out of ICU and able to sleep. So you did quite well in hanging onto your sanity, moving mountains of mud and all!

Now get plenty of rest. You need to catch up on your sleep. Of course, work on the breathing exercises and coughing and walking about (they'll ask you to do that soon if not yet), but in between - sleep, sleep, sleep.

Hi Bank

With awful no sleep blues from anxiety disorder, I've found playing certain Youtubes to be helpful, so may you. They will help mask background noise too.

A personal favourite is this Buddhist chanting

If it's not for you there are lovely nature sounds which will last a whole night such as this one with birds and water

you can search for those with music too.

It's great when the peace comes back.

Edited by cheeryble