Thai educational reforms fall flat in 2015

webfact

EDUCATION
Educational reforms fall flat in 2015

CHULARAT SAENGPASSA
THE NATION

30275336-01_big.jpg
Education Minister General Dapong Ratanasuwan remotely controls a learning toy as he joins students at the Anubarn Pathum Thani School during their after-class activities. Thanks to his initiative to cut class hours, many activities are held after 2pm

High hopes dashed as initiatives not well integrated

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND has spent another year talking about how to improve its education without really achieving much.

Now that 2015 is coming to a close, it is quite clear that the high expectations about real educational reform will not be fulfilled in the near future.

The current government, led by General Prayut Chan-o-cha, has vowed to reform the country for the better. So when the now-defunct National Reform Council (NRC) submitted its proposal for the country's educational reform to the government in August, many educators were excited, believing that big changes would finally be realised.

But after four months have passed, nothing concrete has come to light about the proposals that Prayut himself received from the NRC.

"After we submitted the proposal, things remained pretty much the same," NRC member Associate Professor Prapapat Niyom said.

The government has said the National Reform Steering Assembly, which has just been established, will help to ensure reforms, including the education sector will move ahead.

But not all educators are convinced.

Instead of making moves such as decentralisation, which are recommended by the proposal, key government figures and top education officials are now trying to establish a |single command structure making the permanent secretary for Education the ultimate decision-maker for the |country's whole educational sector.

"It's hard to expect any real change if people involved still stick with the same old perspective," Prapapat said.

She pointed out that those involved should understand that just a few piecemeal changes would never deliver real permanent reform.

"We need a holistic approach and a major overhaul," she said.

Her comments reflected developments in the educational arena over the past year. Apart from the serious discussions that educators and many relevant figures engaged in to prepare a final proposal for reform, the government did take some significant steps to improve Thai education. Yet those efforts were apparently not integrated well enough to drive real change.

The government, for example, has come up with an initiative to reduce class time and offer more extracurricular activities with the goal of promoting children's well-rounded development.

Under the new plan, the hours of academic classes will be cut from 30-35 hours a week to 22 hours a week for elementary schools - and from 35 to 27 hours for secondary schools. Classes will finish earlier at 2pm so that the last two hours can be used for extracurricular activities. This new plan is now being implemented at about 4,000 schools, which joined on a voluntary basis during its pivotal initial phase.

While this initiative springs out of a good intention and is for a good cause, it reflects that the government over the past year focused on certain aspects of an educational overhaul - not on more comprehensive aspects yet.

For example, if the Education Ministry reduces class hours, it needs to adjust its curriculum too. Otherwise some components in the educational system will make gains, yet other core goals will suffer setbacks.

In addition, the Education Ministry at the very least needs to improve its evaluation system for student, teacher

and school performance.

Despite such flaws, on a bright note, since the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) came to power, continuity has not been lacking in useful projects like the Distance Learning TV (DDTV) project.

Although Prayut named General Dapong Ratanasuwan as education minister in place of Admiral Narong Pipatanasai in August, Dapong has not tried to downplay educational projects that were highlighted during Narong's tenure.

Under Dapong's leadership, the Education Ministry has continued to pursue Prayut's ideas of promoting history classes and DDTV.

DDTV, which is based on one of His Majesty the King's initiatives, has proven to be very useful to schools across the country, particularly the small ones.

Such projects and their continuity are of course good signs. Yet if Thailand really hopes to overhaul its educational sector for the better, it must do it in a decisive and comprehensive way. The government needs to understand that the same old approach will hardly make any difference.

It's time to use a new and holistic approach to manage the country's educational sector.

According to a study by researchers at Thammasat University and the University of Thai Chamber of Commerce, Thailand has adequate resources for the provision of educational services - but it has not yet increased the quality of education.

In the biggest-ever grading of education quality world-wide, Thailand ranked far behind two other Southeast Asian countries.

Compiled by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) based on the performance of 15-year-olds on math and science, the ranking lists Thailand at the 47th rank, while Singapore's youth emerged as the best brains in the world and Vietnam did nicely at the 12th ranking. Such a ranking reflects that Thailand cannot take its educational reform for granted anymore.

The New Year is coming. Let's hope the government will focus on real reform and put adequate resources to better use next year.

New Year 'gifts' from the Education Ministry

Project that seeks to ensure teachers can devote their time fully to classes;

Project that promotes happy learning through the Head-Heart-Hands-Health coordination guideline;

Project that uses brain-based learning, distance-leaning TV and distance learning IT projects in a bid to ensure all Prathom 1 students are literate;

Project to provide dual vocational educational programmes in all provinces, allowing students to study for free, earn income during their study years and get hands-on experience from workplaces;

Project to raise the standards of care for pre-school children;

Fix it Centre project that will involve vocational schools providing repairs and construction services for communities, and the Community College project that will provide short vocational courses for locals;

Project to set up vocational centres at non-formal schools to equip students and others, including the elderly, with vocational skills;

Project by the Office of the Non-Formal and Informal Education and the Office of the Permanent Secretary for Education to organise science activities for people young and old;

Project by the Office of the Non-Formal and Informal Education and the Office of the Permanent Secretary for Education to provide vocational training to people including the unemployed.

Source: The Nation

While this article talks about the lack of real achievement with the promised education reform, the same criticism can equally be applied to the rest of Junta-head's house of cards.

Unfortunately, the whole lot is likely to come crashing down at any moment, as the deck is stacked with too many Jokers!

It's appropriate that they promote history classes, because this country is fast becoming "history"!

post-209291-14506539662306_thumb.jpg

Now that 2075 is coming to a close, it is quite clear that the high expectations about real educational reform will not be fulfilled in the near future, he added.

When the general plaid with his remotely controlled plastic duck most of the Prathomsuksa one students taught him how to search online using IPhones.

The Minister will consider to have a word with Apple because the Defense Minister's Windows shows that it's not genuine and was hacked by Anuban students just recently.

Some Anuban students could fire some Cruise Missiles, but no visible damage was done. Only a small collateral damage could be seen, which seems to be the norm when using nuclear warheads.

The parents of these Anuban kids made a merit and had to pay a fine of 500 baht. Or both. facepalm.gif

Replacing an admiral with a general as the head guy was never really going to bear much new fruit.

The thing that needs to be addressed to facilitate better results is attitude. And with the culture and feudal values it embodies, change to something better is a near impossibility. It requires literally millions of people to change their whole approach to change the end results

While this article talks about the lack of real achievement with the promised education reform, the same criticism can equally be applied to the rest of Junta-head's house of cards.

Unfortunately, the whole lot is likely to come crashing down at any moment, as the deck is stacked with too many Jokers!

It's appropriate that they promote history classes, because this country is fast becoming "history"!

You think education reform in Thailand can be done overnight ? cheesy.gif.

It is the job of the next proper government to do that. The military are not qualified for this sort of thing. They did their job by removing the murdering cronies - but now it needs real politicians to run a country.

I can tell you are just using it as any excuse to whinge at the Junta which makes your opinion worthless. How about wondering why it is in so much need of reform after Thaksin the poor mans savior took such good care of his people for so many years ??????.

The deck already came tumbling down, You are watching the whole house being rebuilt.

So where exactly does the Ministry of Education's huge budget go?

Somehow I think you have no idea what their budget is nor do you have any idea what fiscal responsibilities they fund using it.

But yet you feel confident enough to make a comment like that. Clearly their budget was never wasted on you with such a vague and meaningless comment.

I do recall the last government spent a lot of that budget on the Android tablets. How much went down the toilet then ? - but strangely I don't recall you ever complaining about that. See my signature for further guidance.

EnglishJohn

I fully agree with one of your observations!

It will be the job of the next "proper" government in Thailand, to try to bring about education reform.

Through their actions, I believe the junta continues to demonstrate a total lack of ability (or desire) to carry out any successful reform.

But, that's only my worthless opinion.

Is the plan to have the English language standard for the AEC up to scratch by mid- 2016 still on track ? cheesy.gif

thought they were trying to get Thai to be the language

Why not it's the usual line of least resistance meaning nothing more would actually have to be done.

EnglishJohn

I fully agree with one of your observations!

It will be the job of the next "proper" government in Thailand, to try to bring about education reform.

Through their actions, I believe the junta continues to demonstrate a total lack of ability (or desire) to carry out any successful reform.

But, that's only my worthless opinion.

They have had many 'proper' governments in the past few decades...and we are seeing the results a generation later. What makes future 'proper' governments different?

Where do you start with this issue? I think I read a majority of the teachers in Thailand cannot pass aptitude tests in their area of expertise. So incompetence is probably the main problem. Most of the Thai English teachers I know speak English slightly better than a bar girl, although don't seem nearly as comfortable doing it, and come across like they don't want to learn or practice. But yeah, let's change the system. Anything but the teachers. Yet another way Thais unwillingness to criticize or hold people responsible holds the nation back.

Somehow I think you have no idea what their budget is nor do you have any idea what fiscal responsibilities they fund using it.

But yet you feel confident enough to make a comment like that. Clearly their budget was never wasted on you with such a vague and meaningless comment.

I do recall the last government spent a lot of that budget on the Android tablets. How much went down the toilet then ? - but strangely I don't recall you ever complaining about that. See my signature for further guidance.

Given the way you carry on in many ( if not all ) your posts your signature could be regarded as an exercise in irony!

Doesn't most of it go to pay for houses, cars and mia noi support for MOE officials and school administrators? If you look at their houses and cars, and then look at the condition of the school facilities and teacher salaries, the answer is quite clear.

Doesn't most of it go to pay for houses, cars and mia noi support for MOE officials and school administrators? If you look at their houses and cars, and then look at the condition of the school facilities and teacher salaries, the answer is quite clear.

Whereas I'm quite sure that like all institutions in Thailand graft and corruption are rampant, your statement is just based on supposition and you fail to make the connection between "houses" and the failure of the education reforms. I think you just want to have a dig at Thailand rather than make a contribution to the discussion.

In reality teacher salaries re a pittance and this is compensated to some extent up by easy credit and free housing...this isn turn is abused....as it is a system that is clearly open to abuse ....but hon its own I think any connection with the reforms is rather tenuous.

to reform education, you need people who understand education, the psychology of learning etc. etc. .....not some old nabob who has his own preconceived ideas about "what was good enough for him..." to sit in an office casting out dictums here and there.

and in addition, to stand any chance of learning comprehensible english, you need NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKING TEACHERS, after a thorough check on their moral character of course :)

to reform education, you need people who understand education, the psychology of learning etc. etc. .....not some old nabob who has his own preconceived ideas about "what was good enough for him..." to sit in an office casting out dictums here and there.

and in addition, to stand any chance of learning comprehensible english, you need NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKING TEACHERS, after a thorough check on their moral character of course smile.png

I was referring to the general system of Education in Thailand and whereas native teachers are a useful asset they are but one in a vast range of issues that need addressing in Thai education

Professor Prapapat Niyom - You give me hope!

I taught in the Thai system for many years. Under both major parties of civilian government and now this junta and only some pointless things like free tablets of 12 'values' seem to get implemented. I cannot work in the Thai system anymore, it is broken and massively failing. It is the kids and some of the really dedicated teachers I feel sorry for.

The professor is right a holistic approach is needed. I hope to see it implemented but I won't hold my breath.