Broadband

stuandchris

Hi

We are hoping to move to Phuket permanantly in july next year having hit the magical 50!

My question is what is the fastest broadband you can get there? I have seen the 'superfast' signs and ASDL that are giving 512, it also seems very expensive for such a slow speed.

For example I am on 10 meg for £25 per month her in the UK. I know that might not be possible in LOS but what is the quickest I can expect for a resonable price [less than £50 per month]

Thanks for any advise. [it wouldn't bother me but the wife wants corry in real time :o

Hi

We are hoping to move to Phuket permanantly in july next year having hit the magical 50!

My question is what is the fastest broadband you can get there? I have seen the 'superfast' signs and ASDL that are giving 512, it also seems very expensive for such a slow speed.

For example I am on 10 meg for £25 per month her in the UK. I know that might not be possible in LOS but what is the quickest I can expect for a resonable price [less than £50 per month]

Thanks for any advise. [it wouldn't bother me but the wife wants corry in real time :o

The fastest I've heard of is about 80% slower than what you have now. About 2 MB in Bangkok. Everywhere else about 95%-98% slower. Pretty cheap though, if it's working.

It wouldn't bother me but the wife wants corry in real time :o

She does realise that it will be on at 1.30AM :D

Seriously, don't expect to get anything like your rated speed on an international connection unless you're prepared to pay for the more premium services.

I have KSC commercial 512/256, costs 1900 Baht per month (about 27 Quid), on BitTorrent I do get 512 download most of the time but some would say too slow, too costly.

TOT do a symetrical 2M/2M for 2700 per month, no idea what the international speed is like though, we have the commercial version in the office (7K per month a little outside your budget).

Many thanks

Get a 512/256 and be happy with this. In most parts of the country you will not get faster speed than that even if it is a theoretical 2048/256 ADSL line.

What really sucks is the bandwidth out of thailand. Forget it, this is in total about 3 GB lines, shared by 50 mio thais and farangs. I don't have much hope that this will change in the next decade. Internet is just not important here for people or economy.

Seriously, don't expect to get anything like your rated speed on an international connection unless you're prepared to pay for the more premium services.

Totally true! It's known as Fraudband on the island. We are with ToT, it has taken maybe 10 or more site vists to get even the crawling speed we have now. Then of course there's the lovely habit of clearing the lines periodically with a burst of high voltage - this does wonders for your modem, remember to get surge protection.

I have KSC commercial 512/256, costs 1900 Baht per month (about 27 Quid), on BitTorrent I do get 512 download most of the time but some would say too slow, too costly.

Anyone know what is a good value broadband deal at the moment? I'm looking at around 512/256 (more is better if its good value) doing say, 10-20GB per month. 1900 sounds reasonable enough but a bit expensive.

Edited by Grover