Reporting place of residence on arrival.

Hi, I will be staying with my girlfriend for 2 wks over xmas and new year.What is the procedure for reporting address to immigration?Does a phone call suffice?Do I need to go to an immigration office?or is the Amphoe sufficient..Thanks for any advice

You should not have to report unless it is a change from that entered on arrival card - but owner of residence could be subject to fine if not reporting your presence. But do not believe many Thai take that requirement seriously.

You could try submitting a TM28 form to the local police station. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm28.pdf

You would get the receipt for doing it they accepted it.

They looked at me with nervous disposition in Lom Sak when I attempted this with the girlfriend.

TM 30.

Bor Pen Yang Khap was their answer.

I decided against driving 250 kms round trip to Phitsanulok immigration who didn't bat an eyelid 1 month later when I applied for a 60 day extension.

Inconsistency is the key to this issue as always.

You don't need to report your address. Putting her address on the arrival card when you enter the country will be enough.

Your impression of what is required is outdated if the person entering the country is doing so to update their visa.

Although the stringency may vary by location, I along with 35 other foreigners 2 weeks ago were subjected to 5-8 minutes each of questions, examination of every digit and letter on the form and heavens knows what databases they were checking through. This was at Mae Sai. I was #34 and got through just barely under 2 hours after joining the queue.

While standing in line an officer paraded up and down the queue taking cursory looks at arrival card information and literally chastising people for not putting their street address, telephone number, apartment number , name of person you may have been visiting, phone number of your host/hostess.

First time in 3 years (using prepaid 6 month visas) that I witnessed this level of scrutiny and delay.

Edited by WaiLai

You don't need to report your address. Putting her address on the arrival card when you enter the country will be enough.

Joe, I consider that really bad advice. Sure the OP does not need to do anything, but the housemaster (AKA g/f) is in danger of being fined for not registering a guest with Thai Immigration.

Address on arrival card will not cut it .... IMHO ...

But for a 2 week stay ... no-one in Immigration cares. Different story for much longer stays.

Edited by LivinginKata

A friend got fined 800 Baht yesterday at Khon Kaen Immigration because his Wife has never submitted a TM30 form giving details of an alien living in her house.

This was when applying for his annual extension for retirement.

Yep, just today I was attempting to extend my marriage extension by another year here in Phuket. Turned out I was not registered at my Phuket address in Immigration database. We had been up on holiday in Chiang Mai for 4 days a couple of months ago. On return back to Phuket we (our company) registered me back home on the online system. I guess that did not register as no record found. Wife almost got a 2,000 baht fine, luckily I could give our company Immigration registration number and display where the 'error' occurred and my previous registration at home.

Immigration are rapidly becoming computer and database savy ... not worth the risk/chance these days ..

Edited by LivinginKata