Zero Celsius: Grass literally frozen atop Doi Inthanon

webfact

Zero Celsius: Grass literally frozen atop Doi Inthanon
By Coconuts Bangkok

doi1.jpg
It’s literally freezing up on Doi Inthanon. Photo: Doi Inthanon National Park

CHIANG MAI: -- While Thailand is widely mocked by its residents for having just two type of weather -- hot and very hot -- many travelers in Chiang Mai yesterday were excited to find that Doi Inthanon, the tallest mountain in the country, was covered in glaze ice.

Doi Inthanon National Park announced the exciting news that the minimum temperature was measured at 0 Celsius yesterday, while the mountain’s temperature dropped to 4 Celsius, pleasing locals who camped out to get in touch with the cold.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/23/zero-celsius-grass-literally-frozen-atop-doi-inthanon

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-12-23

Doesnt reflect the temperatures down near CM city.Currently 3pm and its 31 degrees.

Last night I doubt it got down below 20.Still sleeping with a fan until 2am and barely neeeding a t shirt on getting out of bed around 8am . How many people can we fit on Doi Ithanon ? wouldnt mind sharing some of the cold air.

Doesnt reflect the temperatures down near CM city.Currently 3pm and its 31 degrees.

Last night I doubt it got down below 20.Still sleeping with a fan until 2am and barely neeeding a t shirt on getting out of bed around 8am . How many people can we fit on Doi Ithanon ? wouldnt mind sharing some of the cold air.

Too much hot air coming up from the capital.

8c in Pai this morning☃

That's what you should expect, The higher you go the colder it gets compared to the lower regions.

So the moral to this story is don't forget to protected you susceptible lower regions

From memory the lapse rate between CM and Doi Inthanon is about13C so if the minimum temperature in CM is 20C and minimum temp on Doi Inthanon is 0C then there is a bit of a gap. Can't remember my school physics. Wind chill? Or some sort of cold air layer?

Nice change though. I stayed at Khun Deng's at the Karen village last January. Very cold at night. Fun but too cold for me. Glad to get a bit lower on the mountain.

Wish it would cool off down here. I had to get up and turn on the A/C for about 2 hours until it cooled off enough to sleep around 3:00 this morning. This is the warmest "cold season" I can recall for some time. We have to water the garden sometimes twice a day as everything is turning brown.

Wish it would cool off down here. I had to get up and turn on the A/C for about 2 hours until it cooled off enough to sleep around 3:00 this morning. This is the warmest "cold season" I can recall for some time. We have to water the garden sometimes twice a day as everything is turning brown.

Last year was about the same, year before was very cool at night.

it has been warmer this season, a/c is still required till about 2am dry.png