Repatriated Yank nearing retirement; Thailand or Costa Rica ?

maxman71

I lived and worked in Thailand for 6 years (2005-2011) and repatriated to the US as a result of a consulting assignment that turned into a lucrative position as an employee of my client in the US. I am about one year away from being able to retire comfortably in a variety of locations, but I am considering either Thailand or Costa Rica.

My question to you well-weathered expats in LOS, what have been the most significant changes you've observed in Thailand over the last 5 years that make Thailand more or less desirable as a retirement destination for a 57 year old single male in good health and financially secure ?

While I have made trips to Thailand since being back in the US, these trips were short and business related and I didn't get a good feel for how things are on a sustained basis. Locations of preference in LOS would be Phuket, Bangkok or Chiangmai.

After being back in the US for the past 4+ years, I have not reassimilated to life in the US. Before I moved to Thailand in 2005, I lived and worked in Taiwan for 3 years so my total time outside the US was 9 years before returning to the US in 2011. I am finding US culture in general to be in a downward spiral and I am pretty fed up with it.

Thanks for any insights you're willing to share.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the most significant change in the past several years has been the rise in prices. Thailand is not the cheap retirement location that it was any more. If you have lots of money, I guess the only other factor would be the increased crowding in Bangkok.

I can only tell you what I've done. I've kept my home in the US and then I travel when I want to.

It's pretty hard for me to knock the US compared to 3rd world countries. The US is so big it's easy to find a climate you like, and you can choose rural or big city. I don't care for big cities but they make up a tiny percentage of the land mass.

I can't even imagine living full time in a third world country but to each his own.

Cheers.

I can only tell you what I've done. I've kept my home in the US and then I travel when I want to.

It's pretty hard for me to knock the US compared to 3rd world countries. The US is so big it's easy to find a climate you like, and you can choose rural or big city. I don't care for big cities but they make up a tiny percentage of the land mass.

I can't even imagine living full time in a third world country but to each his own.

Cheers.

What is it about 3rd world countries that attract you even for short visits?

Does it have to be all or nothing?

It feels good to go all in so you can call one place home, but in reality your probably better off splitting your time between these two you are interested in, especially if income allows.

Do that before you get too old and you have to stay in one spot.

Cheers.

Oh, occasionally I enjoy seeing Trafalgar Square or the Tower of London. It's become a really good place to see burkas and head turbans.

Cheers.

Oh, occasionally I enjoy seeing Trafalgar Square or the Tower of London. It's become a really good place to see burkas and head turbans.

Probably wants to get off as well

Best Advice ever given for either destination is to keep all your assets in the US and don't buy any when you get there.

Rent.

Everybody says that there are only three things you should rent but this is actuslly the fourth.

Every expat who has ever lived in Ticoland will tell you the same bit of wisdom--do not buy.

Unless they currently own--then they will tell you its the greatest place to own property and BTW they will make you a great deal on their Paradiso.

You are you. Nobody else is. Even if you had an identical twin who swore by Costa Rica/Thailand you might end up hating it. Decide for yourself. You sound like you aren't hurting for money. So here's what I would do.

Toss a coin, pick one country and go stay there for 6 months. Don't burn any boats. Then switch places the next 6. You'll have your answer. Good luck. Enjoy your retirement.

If you think culture in the US is in a downward spiral (and I am not dosagreeing with you), then you have obviously not spent anytime in CR.

It would take 20 more years of spiralling before the US culture could go as low as the Tico culture ever ascended (and that was in the late 1970's).

Seriously, the culture is terrible.

Are you reading the Tico Times online newspaper at the very least?

Look up recent home invasions and murders. You think Thailand has no penalty for criminals? Don't even get me started. ;-)

Too late.

Edited by ClutchClark

You will find that LOS will wear on you after an extended period of time....have a Plan B in your pocket.

Too many drunks, idiots, fools, and the like you will get tired of dealing with on a 24/7/365 plan.

It used to be I could not wait to get back here from the USA....now it is just the other way around....except when the snow flies...???

Have you ever been to CR? If not, schedule a trip there for a month. Go from coast to coast, spend a few nights in San Jose (wear a money belt!). Check out Jaco, Tamarindo, etc. You'll get an idea pretty quickly if it's for you or not.

CR is super expensive compared to here. The food is not nearly as interesting. Crime is way worse. And the "green" season can be tough. Many leave during this time of year.

Are you single? Thailand wins hands down. IMHO, one of the biggest advantages to CR is how close it is to the US. Easy to go back and forth. Not as easy here.

There are some beautiful places in CR. Osa peninsula is amazing. But relatively desolate. Nicoya peninsula has some outstanding beaches. We rented a car and drove from top to bottom, including the monkey trail! Great fun. It's OK, but I'll take Thailand. Though I've no connections to the US anymore. So no reason to go back.

I have lived extensively in both LOS (8 years present) and CR (20 years, 1980s-2000s). If money no object, Costa Rica. Good hospitals, only 6 hours from States, democratic, expat friendly, can get dollars or colonies from ATM with no ATM fees, easy language (Spanish). I would suggest you go and stay for awhile in CR as you already know about LOS. I currently live in LOS as it is way cheaper than CR. Personally if I had the money, I would live in States and travel when I wanted to. I am a retired merchant seamen so have been all over the orient and spent many 3 month holidays over here. The States is still the best and like a previous poster mentioned, there are many different environments in States to choose from.

I've been lucky to live and work all over the world. To me your answer it is hemispheric. If you like the west, particularly the latin countries and that includes those in Europe...the life and the language are easier. Central and South America, Spain and Portugal all have their advantages.

If you prefer the far East -- a totally different vibe -- yes there are many changes, but the exoticism still holds adventure. In that case, Bangkok is a good base if you like big cities. This is the first year of my retirement although I've lived in Asia for 10. I'll stay in Thailand for awhile but visit other Asian countries regularly and cannot rule them out in the future.

I have lived extensively in both LOS (8 years present) and CR (20 years, 1980s-2000s). If money no object, Costa Rica. Good hospitals, only 6 hours from States, democratic, expat friendly, can get dollars or colonies from ATM with no ATM fees, easy language (Spanish). I would suggest you go and stay for awhile in CR as you already know about LOS. I currently live in LOS as it is way cheaper than CR. Personally if I had the money, I would live in States and travel when I wanted to. I am a retired merchant seamen so have been all over the orient and spent many 3 month holidays over here. The States is still the best and like a previous poster mentioned, there are many different environments in States to choose from.

I've read crime has increased dramatically over the past 10 years or so. We were there about 7 years ago and many expats were complaining about it. Some were leaving. San Jose has always been a problem. A friend ran a restaurant on Flamingo Beach. For trips to SJ, he always took a security guard with him.

Cheers.

Women!!

If you are a US citizen then the banks in Costa Rica will report to the US Government what you have in your accounts.The Bahamas is one of the few countries that does not report bank accounts.Costa Rica is a great place to visit and have fun but the cost of living has gone up drastically.

Edited by sanukjim

I've read crime has increased dramatically over the past 10 years or so. We were there about 7 years ago and many expats were complaining about it. Some were leaving. San Jose has always been a problem. A friend ran a restaurant on Flamingo Beach. For trips to SJ, he always took a security guard with him.

I think the same thing can be said about here in Pattaya. I was there in CR two years ago for a visit and planing a short trip this April. If I had to travel with a security guard, I would be out of there in a hurry. I rent a car when I go there and never had a problem but there again I would still live in States and go when I had the urge if finances were no problem. I don't think CR is any more dangerous than Pattaya. Both Tico Times and Thai Visa have there in house country bashers so I take a lot of what is said with a grain of salt. But I am sure you are right about crime on the increase and why I think the OP should go there and see for himself.

Like you I have spent many years in foreign lands (28 years), working and living. Now, in Thailand 6 years and as a teacher and a member of the community I've Thailand to be a stagnant culture. I first visited here in 1987 and favor of the country is about the same however: the increase in violent crime, aggressive behavior of vendors, taxi, tuk-tuk drivers etc.. oh! bus drivers and injuries.

So, the Thai's with money turn a blind eye to law for gains, restrictions for renting, buying your tied to a Thai wife, girlfriend as co-signers etc... There are places Hua Hin being a nice expat area but crime exist everywhere. As many Thai's are unemployed in tourist industry ( no rain no rice this year aslo) ,has brought a dangerous image to Thailand.

Political uncertainty may be a problem as many of us question, like home owners, business owners etc...

So, I never been to Costa Rica but St. Thomas long time ago. Another point, medical care and your insurance. Myself, I'll be going back to the USA next because of medical reasons as here the doctors here don't have the skill I need.

Most beaches here are not very clean.

Costa Rica and Thailand are both lovely places. This is a personnel decision, so not knowing you will make a few comments. Had a lot more problems with theft in

CR in one week than I have had in Thailand in 10 years.Not that Thailand isn't all that safe, but a little common sense takes you a lot further. I find the Thai's normally

are opportunists not criminals.How often do you need to return to the States? Once you take care of transportation and board in Thailand you spend what you want to.

Women and drinking is where most of your money is spent. What type of environment do you need to live in. Costs a lot more to live in Bangkok than Chumphon.

How much do you need to have Western culture around you? I meet up with people a few times a month, no problem. If you need to live in

a western type environment going to cost you,and if you can take or leave drinking with Westerners, can live surprisingly cheap. Didn't get to know how the government

works in CR, but on the surface appeared to be one of the smartest ones in the America's. Thailand can be a pain, but if you dot the I's and Cross the T's, not really significant.

Depending on your finances, places like Spain are not expensive as well. Why not travel and rent 3-6 months at a time until you find your ideal?

It also depends on your ability with languages. Thai is not easy because it's tonal, and the alphabet is far more complex. For a native English speaker, languages in Europe and South America are easier.

IMHO, there are a lot of expats in Thailand who rob themselves financially and culturally every day, because they refuse to learn anything but the most basic Thai.

I don't think CR is any more dangerous than Pattaya.

You would be wrong.

Sorry, no disrespect but you are quite wrong and making a statement that is based on ignorance.

I lived there for years and interfaced with a wide range of tourists daily and the incidence of theft is extreme.

It used to be non-confrontational and opportunistic theft but that has changed in recent years and there is now more violent crime.

Breaking & Entering.

Firearms are more prevalent.

This is true in all parts of CR, from SJ to both coasts.

Thailand is a far safer place, Pattaya is a far safer place.

The only thing the two destinations have in common concerning crime is a corrupt police force that will not be of any assistance and will expect "mordita". The incarceration rate is something like 5% for criminals that are actually identified and caught but most crimes go unpunished.

Crimes against gringos are seldom prosecuted.

And then we have the crimes that are committed by the Laws of the Land such as the Squatters Rights, which are abused frequently.

If you live there then you will know there is much truth to the saying, "When you need a lawyer, hire two, the first to defend you, the second to keep an eye on the first, and then hope like hell they don't collude against you."

Hard earned lessons.

Edited by ClutchClark