Building a house for 200,000 bahts. Believable or not?

A female friend of a friend is building a house out by the airport in Chiang Mai material and labor. She took us out to see it. It looked to be about 90 square meters on a cement pad 2 bedroom 2 bath fair size kitchen. Firstly she is using labor known to the family 3 or 4 individuals.Secondly she is using a fair bit of recycled material. The roof is recycled asbestos sheeting (which I did not like as it has been banned at home). She scrounged up some of the old large bricks and painted them on both edges showing red inside and out after being laid it looked rather rustic. They are the larger older style brick and they are laid flat. The windows are recycled glass large panes that slide into a premounted track. They are thick and tinted. Here I can see a problem with air circulation. The ceiling inside is vaulted finished inside with painted drywall. Tile look nice. According to my friend this price will include the main door (just one) interior doors and detailed finishing. I was amazed but I am still a Doubting Thomas.

buy a boat container, cut holes for windows and doors and voila!

Which where I come from would set you back 3500 euro's, without foundation or a legal place to put it. Plus it will rust.

I'd go for the cheap house, anytime.

Hey elgordo38, any chance in you being able to post a picture or some pictures of the house? I personally would love to see it, also may I ask if your friend is Thai? I would assume so since you mentioned that friends were doing her labor for her. I like the idea of recycling materials to do a project like her. If someone had some land that they could use to store materials for a few years while they searched it out prior to doing the building itself could be a big time money saver. Plus personally I prefer aged quality materials more than a lot of the newly manufactured stuff they sell new now. Like you I would pass on the asbestos containing materials but I would be open to using some nice older style roofing or shingles.

Hey elgordo38, any chance in you being able to post a picture or some pictures of the house? I personally would love to see it, also may I ask if your friend is Thai? I would assume so since you mentioned that friends were doing her labor for her. I like the idea of recycling materials to do a project like her. If someone had some land that they could use to store materials for a few years while they searched it out prior to doing the building itself could be a big time money saver. Plus personally I prefer aged quality materials more than a lot of the newly manufactured stuff they sell new now. Like you I would pass on the asbestos containing materials but I would be open to using some nice older style roofing or shingles.

My friend is an American the lady is his friend and is a Thai teacher. It impressed the hell out of me but I have learned in life never to take things at face value. Thanks for your "reasonable interested" reply some are really outrageous and well the word stupid comes to mind. The secret I think is to have whoever is building your house to be on the lookout for recycled materials as they are more tuned in to the wrecking/recycle market if there is one here. Its a booming industry in the Western world. Being the workers were family friends this was possible. Her father provided the land.

post-145044-0-98396100-1450937384_thumb.

post-145044-0-40666600-1450937388_thumb.

post-145044-0-46808500-1450937391_thumb.

post-145044-0-91533000-1450937394_thumb.

post-145044-0-52101000-1450937400_thumb.

Edited by elgordo38

Looks good. The negative responses of course come from people that never touched a brick in their lives and paid millions for their over sized palatial residences.. I too am building with the help of the family and am sure that even ฿200 000 is more than is needed. Apart from the concrete base, we completely demolished the wife's old shack and rebuilt it (roof, windows, doors, Thai kitchen, toilet and shower, for about ฿40 000.-

Wow and thanks for the great pictures, I truly hope for the best in the finished product. This makes me want to consider a project like this also as my girlfriends father has offered us some land he owns to build on if we ever wish to. Thanks again.

Wow and thanks for the great pictures, I truly hope for the best in the finished product. This makes me want to consider a project like this also as my girlfriends father has offered us some land he owns to build on if we ever wish to. Thanks again.

Again Bob a well known or family member builder is essential. Chances are you will get a good build and he will not screw you. Seeing what he has built and how long it is standing and the condition it is in also important. After the build is finished and he has your money its game over for you. Stock piling used materials requires space and knowledge of where to find it. 5 years ago I lived in a village in Phitsanulok province with another g/f. Her mother removed a wooden house and built a 600 square meter building 2 stories. I flatly told her in the beginning the build was 3 times larger than what they needed but her mother had 3 sisters in the retail business in the village and it was a case of one upmanship. I know a little about construction. She the mother bank financed the deal to the tune of 7 million bahts. The build was a slow unfolding disaster from day one. He finished our apartment first on the second floor of the first 200 meter section. Tiles never lie and the tiles went from a full tile at one end of the room to almost nothing at the other. The dry wall ceiling collapsed in spots due to water leaks and the water also hit the fuse panel and knocked out the electric. The water in the bathroom had to run uphill to reach the drain. He put a electric plug right beside the shower head and the list goes on and on. All this happened while the build was still in progress. I would now 4 years later hate to go back and look at this disaster and what 4 years have done to it. If your money is going into the project make sure you go in with your eyes open. She will own the whole project. As a thrice married man my advice is just be careful. Rent is so cheap here I would not build or own. We have a 40 square meter condo in CM with a pool in walking distance of everything for 4,000 bahts a month which suits me just fine.

Edited by elgordo38

Yeah,

But that's an entirely different game.

The land will be somewhere nobody in their right mind would ever want to live.

The land is family land, probably without title, and will remain their family land.

Effectively, you will be building THEM (or her) a free house, for her and her family to live in.

Anything is possible but a decent sofa costs 200,000 in thailand never mind a house

NOT talking about the furnishings of the house! Talking about building a house. And if you had ever built here in Thailand you would that its possible!

Sorry folks, just can't see it...B 500K ok, the tiles and the drywall are pretty expensive and have to be bought new, if she's done it for 200K good on her although I wouldn't try around my way!! smile.pngwhistling.gifwai.gif

Yeah,

The land is family land, probably without title, and will remain their family land.

Effectively, you will be building THEM (or her) a free house, for her and her family to live in.

Mr. Negative puts in his usual contribution to TV........

Again Bob a well known or family member builder is essential. Chances are you will get a good build and he will not screw you. Seeing what he has built and how long it is standing and the condition it is in also important. After the build is finished and he has your money its game over for you. Stock piling used materials requires space and knowledge of where to find it. 5 years ago I lived in a village in Phitsanulok province with another g/f. Her mother removed a wooden house and built a 600 square meter building 2 stories. I flatly told her in the beginning the build was 3 times larger than what they needed but her mother had 3 sisters in the retail business in the village and it was a case of one upmanship. I know a little about construction. She the mother bank financed the deal to the tune of 7 million bahts. The build was a slow unfolding disaster from day one. He finished our apartment first on the second floor of the first 200 meter section. Tiles never lie and the tiles went from a full tile at one end of the room to almost nothing at the other. The dry wall ceiling collapsed in spots due to water leaks and the water also hit the fuse panel and knocked out the electric. The water in the bathroom had to run uphill to reach the drain. He put a electric plug right beside the shower head and the list goes on and on. All this happened while the build was still in progress. I would now 4 years later hate to go back and look at this disaster and what 4 years have done to it. If your money is going into the project make sure you go in with your eyes open. She will own the whole project. As a thrice married man my advice is just be careful. Rent is so cheap here I would not build or own. We have a 40 square meter condo in CM with a pool in walking distance of everything for 4,000 bahts a month which suits me just fine.

It is possible; however, very difficult without a lot of family involvement.

I gave my Thai G/F 600,000 baht for a build of 120 sqm, and we are both quite happy with it. A friend of mine built a 200 sqm house for 3 million, much better quality. Another friend used recycled materials for a house which cost 400,000 baht.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

My friend is an American the lady is his friend and is a Thai teacher. It impressed the hell out of me but I have learned in life never to take things at face value. Thanks for your "reasonable interested" reply some are really outrageous and well the word stupid comes to mind. The secret I think is to have whoever is building your house to be on the lookout for recycled materials as they are more tuned in to the wrecking/recycle market if there is one here. Its a booming industry in the Western world. Being the workers were family friends this was possible. Her father provided the land.

As you said family support is important, and the main thing is the future owner are happy with this house that's it.....Too bad for rooftop but thanks for sharing this............

.....wow....super....love it...

...makes one wonder why more people are not taking the initiative.....recycle...save the environment...and save a bundle....

....build 2 or 3 if you need more room...growing children and young adults would appreciate the independence and 'space' it would 'afford them'...clap2.gif

buy a boat container, cut holes for windows and doors and voila!

Which where I come from would set you back 3500 euro's, without foundation or a legal place to put it. Plus it will rust.

I'd go for the cheap house, anytime.

This is a forum in Thailand, not where you come from... all you say is rubbish. At least here, Thailand, where WE live.

Yeah,

The land is right off of the dual lane road that is beside the airport fencing. It is a quiet little Soi. Chanote I don't know. Come JaeJoMTB your wiser than that where did it say that I was putting my money into the build. It was to good to be true so I went to observe only.

Edited by elgordo38

Yeah,

There's a difference between a Thai schoolteacher building themselves a cheap house in Chiang Mai and a foreigner building his girlfriend a McMansion in Nakon Nowhere.

Sorry, you can't see that.

Yeah,

There's a difference between a Thai schoolteacher building themselves a cheap house in Chiang Mai and a foreigner building his girlfriend a McMansion in Nakon Nowhere.

Sorry, you can't see that.

Don't be sorry for what positive thinking people see or not see. Just sit there and souround yourself in negative self pity that consistently drives you to spread your gloom and doom at every opportunity. Self pity is no pity at all.