Online banking, share accounts, wi-fi: how "paranoid" are you?

@MrTee, I was just pulling your leg LOL

Back in the day there was only assembler and we wrote everything in it!, but encryption wasn't invented yet so no probs there he he.

I sometimes get a little tired of condescending or ridiculing posts when they are really not necessary.

e.g.

Say I thought it was a bad idea for anyone to use a password manager.

I could abuse and ridicule or

I could give, what, IMHO was a good reason to reconsider using one.

I mean that. last June, hackers broke into popular password manager LastPass, which raises some obvious questions:

If the service you use to protect your passwords from getting compromised gets compromised, should you still use it?

Is it really wise to store all our passwords in the cloud?

Someone else may add to this with good reasons why it may not be a serious problem.....

They might start with:

Using a password manager is miles better than using the same password over and over.

You probably understand the need for complicated, long, unique passwords, and see a password manager as a reasonable solution to keep track of those.

(Considering the most popular password is still 123456, relatively speaking you’re a GOD of personal data security.)

Everybody gets a chance to add their POV, no one is denigrated and everyone has a chance to learn something new.

It is perhaps, a rather nicer way to make your point?

(No more replies from me tonight, Mummy said it's bedtime)

Back in the day there was only assembler and we wrote everything in it!, but encryption wasn't invented yet so no probs there he he.

I sometimes get a little tired of condescending or ridiculing posts when they are really not necessary.

e.g.

I mean that. last June, hackers broke into popular password manager LastPass, which raises some obvious questions:

If the service you use to protect your passwords from getting compromised gets compromised, should you still use it?

Someone else may add to this with good reasons why it may not be a serious problem.....

They might start with:

Using a password manager is miles better than using the same password over and over.

You probably understand the need for complicated, long, unique passwords, and see a password manager as a reasonable solution to keep track of those.

(Considering the most popular password is still 123456, relatively speaking youre a GOD of personal data security.)

Everybody gets a chance to add their POV, no one is denigrated and everyone has a chance to learn something new.

I use a local password manager that has a 14 Char, 66bit key & a certificate.

Yes you are right - I was a little bombastic - I'll be better in the future

Good night biggrin.png

e.g.

They might start with:

(Considering the most popular password is still 123456, relatively speaking youre a GOD of personal data security.)

I use a local password manager that has a 14 Char, 66bit key & a certificate.

Yes you are right - I was a little bombastic - I'll be better in the future

Good night biggrin.png

You are good person, I knew that LOL

Have a safe n Happy New Year!

(1) You must change the password on your router

(2) Do NOT use WiFi on your home computer, ONLY use a direct cable connection.

(3) Use AVAST Internet protection, and their amazing "SafeBrowser" tool

(4) Double down and use STRONG VPN

(5) Restart your system and at that point, open the VPN, the SafeBrowser, etc .. do your banking. Now, hit Control; Shift Delete and clear all your Cookies etc.

You will have no worries.

By the way, here is how to make an ultra strong password.

Think of a sentence.

"I got my password and 100 bottles of beer at the 7 11"

That is --- igmpa100bob@t711

That, dear friend, is an example of a strong password.

(Example) My password to EBay is 30 mixed characters .. good luck hacking that.

That's the recommendation, but I think there's a lot to be said for not using a quote that comes to your mind. Pick an obscure book on your shelf and pick a random sentence. Use that for the initial letters. It won't be as memorable as "Never in the field of human conflict..", but it'll be harder to crack and you can always find it again in the book if you forget it.

By the way, here is how to make an ultra strong password.

Think of a sentence.

"I got my password and 100 bottles of beer at the 7 11"

That is --- igmpa100bob@t711

That, dear friend, is an example of a strong password.

(Example) My password to EBay is 30 mixed characters .. good luck hacking that.

Definitely a good approach if you can remember the decoding sentence/phrase and the sites you log onto will accept the letter-number-symbol combo. Problems with that approach can occur when some sites require a password change every X-months and also keep track of you last X-number of password changes and will not allow you to reuse older passwords. If sticking with the decoder sentence approach then you begin having multiple sentences to remember.

For me using a password manager that encrypts your logon credentials and automatically inserts the credentials into the login screen which bypasses keylogger issues is a good way to go. No need to remember password sentences.

That's right on the password manager. And then be sure never to store your password data, even encrypted, in somebody's cloud.

They're is no evidence that encrypted data can be compromised because it's in the cloud.....

Of course the important thing is the encryption method itself but nobody would know that the encrypted file had anything inside it either... Unless they already know what they're looking for .... :)