Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

Also on August 21, the defence withdrew a request to the court to have DNA tests re-taken on prosecution evidence. Up to that point defence lawyers had said that this was central to their case.

http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/national-news/16198-thai-police-confirm-british-cooperation-in-koh-tao-case.html

Seems to me, that when the defence saw that the DNA evidence implicated the B2 as being the murderers, they suddenly lost interest in this as it was so damaging to their cause rather than being able to aid it as hoped. In the first instance, they were screaming to high heaven to be allowed to see the DNA evidence, then all of the sudden they mysteriously buried it once they had been allowed to view it and it was to pay no more of a role in the defence case from this point on!!

I think that it was at this point that they realised that they were 'well and truly sunk' and facing the inevitable truth that the B2 were in fact guilty and facing the gallows. The judges could see through the ruses that proliferated the defence teams case and dismissed them one by one, preferring to look at real hard evidence as supplied by the prosecutors.

Oh dear, more misinformation and pure conjecture. It might have escaped your notice that the defence repeatedly requested the original samples so they could re-test them, and that was granted by the courts both at the July hearing and subsequently - but the prosecution refused to supply them at any point. No original samples - all used up. Plus the B2 willingly had their DNA taken at the trial, and independently tested, so if the results matched the so called samples (if they actually existed) it would be conclusive evidence. Strikes me that is the action of innocent men.

So, what do you think of that?

From AP

Authorities have possession of crucial DNA evidence in the murder trial of two Burmese migrants accused of killing two young British tourists on a Thai resort island, the national police chief insisted Friday, disputing reports that it might have been lost.

``It is not lost,'' national police chief Gen. Somyot Poompanmoung told reporters in Bangkok. ``I repeat: Nothing is lost.''

Somyot called it a misunderstanding that stemmed from foreign media covering the case who might have poor Thai language skills.

Somyot said the local police investigator, Lt Col Somsak Nurod, was vague in histestimony and therefore was misinterpreted. Somsak was no longer in possession of the DNA evidence since he collected it and then sent it to the Forensics Medicine Institute in Bangkok, Somyot said.

``Nothing is missing. It's a misunderstanding,'' the police chief said.

Seems that the DNA evidence was not lost after all.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is wrong with you?

What you posted supports my assertion that there was no confirmation from UK Officials..

"The Thai police have testified in court that a police liaison officer at the British Embassy in Bangkok helped officers prove the phone belonged to murdered Jersey tourist, David Miller, aged 24, through its unique IMEI number.

However such assistance would have breached UK legal regulations, which prevent any assistance to a foreign case that might end in the death penalty."

Do you not understand the simple fact "he NEVER got the confirmation from any UK official in Thailand or the UK or anywhere else" clearly he made that up, clearly if a prosecutor is making up facts to suit his case he is in the wrong job.

Doesn't matter if the UK confirmed the number or not. Wei po himself said he and Muang Muang went back to the beach at 5 o'clock in the morning to look for shoes they left behind. Wei po said they separated and he amazingly found the phone on the beach as he was walking. How many phones do you think would be laying on the beach. If the possessions of the victim is in the hands of a person , that creates a direct link between victim and person. Originally we only knew Muang Muang woke up b2 in the morning. Now we know 2 of them went back to the crime at 5am looking for their belongings. And by the way, if you said your belongings were stolen when you were swimming, why would you go back to look for them? ?? They were there. I really don't understand why Muang Muang was let go.

It doesn't matter that an official, either a policeman or the prosecutor, lied to a court about such crucial information?

Really..

I guess it doesn't matter if your only objective is see the perp convicted at any cost, even if you need to compromise yourself, and bring in to doubt the veracity of everything you said an stand for..

You've made clear you position clear - thank you

The problem is that the cultural tendency, especially with those in positions of authority, is to mouth off early because not having an answer is to lose face. Thus...their minds are on vacation and their mouths are working overtime.

Once they have blurted, they have inadvertently locked themselves into another face loss situation if they dare try to walk it back, and admitting a mistake is culturally incomprehensible, just like it would be incomprehensible to remain at the scene of an accident you caused when you could leave the scene and save face, which everyone understands and accepts.

So, what westerners may perceive as intrigue and conspiracy may be giving keystone cops too much credit, and cultural influences too little credit.

Your point might be relevant were it not for the fact of a long established pattern of scapegoating, set ups and the tendency to manufacture evidence pointing at any marginalised 'easy' suspect ( preferably not Thai)

The deep and abiding cynicism found on this site is a consequence of experience and observation rather than an exercise in conspiracy theory

Also on August 21, the defence withdrew a request to the court to have DNA tests re-taken on prosecution evidence. Up to that point defence lawyers had said that this was central to their case.

http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/national-news/16198-thai-police-confirm-british-cooperation-in-koh-tao-case.html

Seems to me, that when the defence saw that the DNA evidence implicated the B2 as being the murderers, they suddenly lost interest in this as it was so damaging to their cause rather than being able to aid it as hoped. In the first instance, they were screaming to high heaven to be allowed to see the DNA evidence, then all of the sudden they mysteriously buried it once they had been allowed to view it and it was to pay no more of a role in the defence case from this point on!!

I think that it was at this point that they realised that they were 'well and truly sunk' and facing the inevitable truth that the B2 were in fact guilty and facing the gallows. The judges could see through the ruses that proliferated the defence teams case and dismissed them one by one, preferring to look at real hard evidence as supplied by the prosecutors.

Oh dear, more misinformation and pure conjecture. It might have escaped your notice that the defence repeatedly requested the original samples so they could re-test them, and that was granted by the courts both at the July hearing and subsequently - but the prosecution refused to supply them at any point. No original samples - all used up. Plus the B2 willingly had their DNA taken at the trial, and independently tested, so if the results matched the so called samples (if they actually existed) it would be conclusive evidence. Strikes me that is the action of innocent men.

So, what do you think of that?

Are you going to give us your thoughts on this Luccy11 or cant you?

I think that I already have actually, see post #1247 - and it's lucky11!!

Edited by lucky11

David's head wounds looked like stab wounds from those ninja shurikens but more of a clover shaped blade designed to be put between your fingers for a stabbing motion. Also he had wounds on his fist indicating that he fought with his attackers before he was over powered. The court are saying that he was savagely attacked from behind, if so you would imagine that he wouldn't of been able to stand up to defend himself.

It is my belief that David had come to try and rescue Hannah and was beaten by the gang that were there hence the wounds to his fists. David tried his best but was overpowered by numbers. Plus one of Nomsod's possy was a big fella for a Thai guy. He didn't really stand a chance.

How David was killed was conveniently overlooked (or misinterpreted) by the court, when it ought to have taken precedence, and cast doubts on the ability of two small men being able to overpower and kill him while he was facing them. IMO, this is the biggest flaw in the prosecution's case. If the B2 were at the crime scene, I'd lay a pound to a penny that there were others - and I hope they will speak out and reveal the truth of what happened that night.

It's my belief that the B2 were there for clean up duty. Moving bodies and evidence and what not ordered by the real perps (the B2's employers, or family of their employers). I think that once the real culprits knew that the B2 could be put in a compromising position that the set up against them began.

This was a crime of hate. It had been reported that there was an incident in that bar the same night with Hannah rebuffing the advance of one of the locals. I think that perhaps Yaba was involved into making it into a jealous fit of rage and this local then took his local gang with him to 'correct' the embarrassment. It was a matter of wrong place, wrong time for Hannah, David and the B2.

If you was told that you could have a hammer or a shark tooth ring to defend yourself, which would you choose (this is fair don't forget, as they can both, according to you, cause similar damage). NB: the ring can have the biggest found shark tooth in the world if you choose that option and I can have the hammer of my choice!!

Before proceeding further into this fantasy please remember that two people lost their lives in the most brutal fashion, and that others might have been failed in the aftermath. If you're bored google Derek Bentley.

If you was told that you could have a hammer or a shark tooth ring to defend yourself, which would you choose (this is fair don't forget, as they can both, according to you, cause similar damage). NB: the ring can have the biggest found shark tooth in the world if you choose that option and I can have the hammer of my choice!!

Before proceeding further into this fantasy please remember that two people lost their lives in the most brutal fashion, and that others might have been failed in the aftermath. If you're bored google Derek Bentley.

Don't need to Google it, I'm old enough to know about Derek Bentley - the main difference between the B2 and Derek is that he was not guilty of his crime and hanged whereas these two are and deserve to be hanged for their crimes!!

Have to wonder why defence never called their DNA expert (Jane Taupin) to testify? Appears they had ability to shred prosecution's DNA case http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35170419

"Jane Taupin, a renowned Australian forensic scientist brought in by the defence team, questioned the plausibility of working this quickly, saying extracting DNA from mixed samples was difficult and time-consuming.

Ms Taupin was not allowed to testify, one of several inexplicable decisions by the defence, but she highlighted several important aspects of DNA testing which neither the defence team, the police, nor the judges appeared to understand."

I must admit to some confusion over this myself, I thought that she didn't testify because there was no dna evidence actually submitted to the court by the prosecution so even if she took the stand she would have had nothing to contribute or talk about apart from some generalisations, my guess is she went away pondering about how unusual it was to convict someone for murder based on DNA without actually presenting anything in court, perhaps she is yet to appear now that everything is in the open

You put in doubt the Miller family press release saying that you know better than them and yet you didn't even know something as basic and fundamental as the DNA evidece was presented during the trial?

On top of that you are still struggling to came to grips with the facts related to David Miller's phone.

You have no clue and still dare to cast aspersions against people that are much better informed than you and have more motivation to get the right murderers than all the armchair detectives put together.

Don't need to Google it, I'm old enough to know about Derek Bentley - the main difference between the B2 and Derek is that he was not guilty of his crime and hanged whereas these two are and deserve to be hanged for their crimes!!

Then we're in the same camp, save perhaps for the niggling inconvenience of reasonable doubt.

Did you conclude DB was innocent from day one? How about Hanratty who's 200 mile alibi wasn't torpedoed until 2009?

Edited by evadgib

What's this? is it to be 'trial by media' now. Someone tell them that what they print will have no influence on the proceedings to come and that they are wasting ink.

The defense has made this a "trial by media" from the start, even to the point of threatening media that don't stick to their story, this is from the man running the various donation campaigns to support the MWRN:

"(name removed) good, super early morning I was a bit pissed off so threatened basically everything against them if the didint retract. Even reached a few emergency email addresses. I really have never read somethign as horribly wrong as that. Especially as the only way we win. I repeat THE ONLY way we win is with the public on our side, so this shit and the FCO statement really hurt us.Average people take newspaper reports as fact. If they do not dramatically apologize and retract im sue we have pro bono lawyers on our side that would love to sue."

Threats and use of sock puppet accounts to give the impression of larger numbers. This is press intimidation and manipulation at work.

Of course the police never made any statements to the press, and all you guys that are so sure the Burmese men are guilty got your information 1st hand..

The whole thing has been played out in the press, by both sides.

Doublethink much?

They are not sure that the Burmese pair are guilty, and they don't care. They don't give a toss about scapegoats living out their days in shackles on death row.

Their only objective is to keep the heat off the original suspects, who we suddenly heard were no longer being investigated ("No Thai could have committed this crime") early on. The whole case has been based on keeping them out of the picture…… and will continue to be until the Statute of Limitations kicks in.

Edited by Aj Mick

can you explain to everyone what exactly the prosecution were offering for retest and I mean exactly, I will let you answer this first since you know so much about it, then I will refer you to possibly as many as 20 posts on TVF were I address this point

I will give you a clue - they were not offering original dna samples as they claimed they no longer had them lol

it's a bit like saying - this is the murder weapon that matches the balistics - but sorry we don't have the weapon as it was destroyed during testing - we wore it out, but hey here is one just like it would you like to test it

Yes I will find plenty of posts but a link from the defense would be better.

they gave the excuse that they didn't need to test it anymore they never said they won't give us what we want to retest, but if you can find a link to confirm it I will stand corrected.

I haven't asked for the same thing many times and never got an answer.

After watching the video of the family of one victim, I will agree that

these two innocent looking men likely committed this crime, and deserve their fate. Could you sit through all

of the court time that they did and do any better? That is my question to the rest of this forum's

audience. These 2 guys had SEVEN lawyers to defend them and lost the case. The lawyers were also top lawyers

do not forget! RIP to the two victims who should have been able to enjoy a wonderful vacation

in Thailand instead of meeting a cruel viscous end. My condolences to the family and friends of the

victims I hope you are able to get over this tragedy and still enjoy

Thailand in the future as a nice holiday destination.

I'm very sorry to tell you that you can watch 1000's more videos. I live here and personally, I'm 100% sure the two boys from Burma wasn't involved.

The crime itself was and is horrendous, the aftermath even worse because the RTP and justice system isn't based on justice as in most countries.

This is Thailand with corruption and the possibility to buy yourself out from a difficult situation.

My rank for the whole justice system is -10 for Thai and +7 for the Swedish, on a scale from 0 to 10.

There are people getting killed in jail before trial just because some important people don't wan't them to be able to talk.

Life means absolutely nothing here, it's just a theater to continue to get revenues from the tourists and everyday, there are victims of fabricated evidence sent to jail.

The whole trial was just a shameless travesty of justice and if you had followed the whole trial and also knew anything about Thailand, I really doubt you would have expressed your opinion as you have done now.

Edited by KamalaRider

Congratulations to the Burmese for standing up for their citizens.

In tandem with very large demonstrations across Myanmar the Burmese President has written to Prayuth demanding a re examination of the trial and its evidence.

The Burmese ambassador in Bangkok is now demanding same.

Source: Channel News Asia, Singapore which have run it as their lead story.

This thing ain't going away, it is about to get a whole lot bigger, shame on Thailand and shame on UK for their silence in the face of such a huge miscarriage of justice!

The court granted the Defense request to have the DNA from the two accused men retested, they even allowed them to have the samples taken in court; I think it's possible that after they got the results from that test they saw that the match presented by the prosecution was incontrovertible, so they then dropped the retesting of the DNA retrieved from the victim like a hot potato.

As an aside the first part of the paragraph points at how the court throughout the trial was always fair to the defense, whatever they asked for they got it; first a postponement of the trial, then the retesting of various items of evidence, more days to make their case, etc, etc...

At no point did I ever saw it being reported that the court was being unfair against the defendants.

Then we're in the same camp, save perhaps for the niggling inconvenience of reasonable doubt.

Apart from the fact that, according to the Miller family and presiding judges it was "beyond reasonable doubt" - more precisely, from David's brother it was "absolutely beyond reasonable doubt". These are the people that really matter in this tragic rape and double murder.

Edited by lucky11

a ring like that is not going to kill anyone, it might cause some puncture wounds if you were punching someone while wearing such a thing but it would not be something I would describe as a lethal weapon, the person that wears something like that is making a statement of status, a bit like drug kingpins wearing a huge gold neckless, it would cause extra damage from a punch and that's about it possibly even to the bone, a good forensic scientist could very easily determine if wounds were caused by such a thing and yet we heard absolutly nothing from the Thai autopsy, I keenly wait for the full autopsy report from the UK who will very likely have examined these wounds and included a detailed report of what could possibly have caused them.....waiting

The court granted the Defense request to have the DNA from the two accused men retested, they even allowed them to have the samples taken in court; I think it's possible that after they got the results from that test they saw that the match presented by the prosecution was incontrovertible, so they then dropped the retesting of the DNA retrieved from the victim like a hot potato.

As an aside the first part of the paragraph points at how the court throughout the trial was always fair to the defense, whatever they asked for they got it; first a postponement of the trial, then the retesting of various items of evidence, more days to make their case, etc, etc...

At no point did I ever saw it being reported that the court was being unfair against the defendants.

rubbish and you know it

In Bangkok post today, i was reading about the press they may feel, since they need to make a press conference and suspect hidden agenda behind Koh Tao protests and might have been politically motivated.

They also warned that the issue could have impacts on international relations.

Edited by carstenp

This thing ain't going away, it is about to get a whole lot bigger, shame on Thailand and shame on UK for their silence in the face of such a huge miscarriage of justice!

Silence doesn't necessarily mean inaction, especially in relation to a country renowned for it's stiff upper lip.

Another thing to consider is that it is Christmas week, meaning UK and the west are closed whereas in SE Asia it's business as usual.

Edited by evadgib

Did you conclude DB was innocent from day one? How about Hanratty who's 200 mile alibi wasn't torpedoed until 2009?

No I didn't, I was born 4 years after he was hanged in 1953 - ironically he was executed 1 day after my birthday.

Talking of travesties of justice - have you heard of Robert Jones who was just recently released from prison after 23 years for the murder of Julie stott, when another man was jailed for the same crime a short time after he was imprisoned. Apparently, they forgot to release him even though they got the correct killer banged up. He festered in jail for 23 years for a crime he did not commit. Seems like the American justice system is more broken than the Thai one.

Everyone assumed that he had been released but not so and they took away a massive chunk of his life from him through their stupidity and incompetence!!!

“The court in Koh Samui heard that the senior investigating police chief and his officers did not believe the killer would have taken that boat,

which left an hour or so after the estimated time of death of the pair.”

"We have the footage, but we never checked it," Police Colonel Cherdpong said.

http://news.sky.com/story/1523975/police-never-checked-cctv-after-britons-killed

Edited by iReason

Apart from the fact that, according to the Miller family and presiding judges it was "beyond reasonable doubt" - more precisely, from David's brother it was "absolutely beyond reasonable doubt". These are the people that really matter in this tragic rape and double murder.

No they don't matter at all.

The families are tainted by emotions, grief, nightmares and possibly the feelings of revenge.

They DO matter when it comes to our thoughts and feelings for their loss, but not when it comes to the justice in this case, their beliefs of justice is actually and absolutely not important apart from their own social network within friends and family.

If the same thing would happen to my son or daughter, I would like to have a clear and cut case if the alleged perpetrators were caught, unfortunately, this isn't the case with Ms. Witheridge and Mr. Miller.

Edited by KamalaRider

Can someone please post a link or PDF of the English translation of the court ruling? I haven't been able to view all the pages on AH's twitter a/c nor am I able to zoom in order to comfortably read.

Re IMEI (Individual Mobile Equipment Identifier); Entering *#06# into most phones identifies each phone. IMEI's can also be retrieved from the receipt, original packaging or service provider as was likely in this case.

HTH

Well this is my first crack at it -- the pages are out of sequence andKT Court Judgment.pdf you have to + it maybe 400% but I think it's all there.

Edited by JLCrab

Congratulations to the Burmese for standing up for their citizens.

In tandem with very large demonstrations across Myanmar the Burmese President has written to Prayuth demanding a re examination of the trial and its evidence.

The Burmese ambassador in Bangkok is now demanding same.

Source: Channel News Asia, Singapore which have run it as their lead story.

Why is the UK silent ( I mean the officials not the media)?

Did it cross anybodies mind that they kept silent knowing that the if information they would provide could lead to a death sentence? And that they would not be allowed to do so (just like with the confirmation of the IMEI code -which eventually was done through the Thai embassy)?

Edited by asiamaster

“The court in Koh Samui heard that the senior investigating police chief and his officers did not believe the killer would have taken that boat,

which left an hour or so after the estimated time of death of the pair.”

"We have the footage, but we never checked it," Police Colonel Cherdpong said.

http://news.sky.com/story/1523975/police-never-checked-cctv-after-britons-killed

facepalm.gif

Even those of you that think the B2 are guilty must admit that this case would of been thrown out in most legal courts in the world. If a deliberate cover up wasn't instigated by the RTP then they are definitely guilty of gross incompetence.

@Lucky11 (too may quotes for me to reply normally)

Reasonable doubt. Without declaring my own hand per se I can confirm that if I were on a Jury that heard a case identical to this i'd feel compelled to acquit on the grounds that it had failed to meet the required standard.

Edited by evadgib

“The prime suspect behind the brutal killing of two British backpackers on an island in southern Thailand is currently hiding in the capital city, police say.”

“Police say Mr. Warot is currently the primary suspect as DNA test results have cleared all others previously detained by police.”

“The police hunt for Mr. Warot, who is the son of a influential figure on the island, came amid reports that the stalling police investigation may be related to the influence of “powerful families” on Koh Tao.”

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1411548167

Edited by iReason

Yes I agree Eva with your post, my own mother threatened to disinherit me when I announced years ago that I would work on Xmas day, it is very deep rooted in our culture not to go to work at this time.

However the clock is ticking, Time is of the essence as there is so much misadventure in Thai jails and the B2 are at real risk of coming to harm now. one only has to dig back to other incidents of this kind to know how Thais deal with this scenario. Even in Western countries convicts are not always safe in jail, think Carl Williams in Melbourne.

You and all the posters with only 2/3 exceptions are fine people. I admire the fact that there is no personal gain in this matter for 97% of us, the opposite in fact, many have you have given generously to the welfare of the Burmese and their families, some anonymously and some publicly. I admire both.

Normally I would fight vigorously for anyone's right to pursue the health of their business interests, but definitely not when people put their business interests ahead of the sacredness of human life. You know who you are, you could never have anyone's respect.