Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

I'm saying that it is highly unlikely that, don't forget, they were exceedingly drunk at the time because they allegedly rarely drunk alcohol and it took it's toll on them.

Now why would he (Win) clamber out of bed at 4.00/4.30 AM and go, all alone, down to the beach and mysteriously find a phone and sunglasses?

The whole episode is so far fetched that I wouldn't believe it if the pope told me himself.

If David and Hannah had been murdered, how did both his sunglasses and mobile end up lying in the sand and before you know it, in Win's possession. How did they get separated from him? Think about it, he (David) went to the beach with Hannah, supposedly dropped both his phone and sunglasses in the sand on the way to a secluded area and Win ended up finding them both at 5.00 AM in the morning.

I'm sorry, but in whatever way you look at it this is so ludicrous and sort of story made up by a 5 year old!!

Those that changed their minds as to their belief of innocence or guilt after hearing this series of events are to be commended (Greenchair definitely and I think Stander) others should remove their blinkers and do a bit of serious thinking about their current stance. Don't worry, only Thai's are concerned about losing face. We will congratulate you for manning up to your mistake and welcome you with open arms into our camp - the camp that wants justice delivered to the families for the tragic loss of a daughter and son!!

This is in response to my question as to whether it was impossible that he found the phone and sunglasses I think?

So basically you are saying it is not impossible?

as for why did he go? I think it was stated that he went to look for the guitar that had gone missing? which the next day turned up at AC bar? with Mon's relative? Who took it from the beach to the AC bar in themiddle of the night??

And you make a MASSIVE assumption when you say that David went to the beach with Hannah - Can you prove that? Where has that come from. As far as I am aware the majority feeling is that they were not together on the beach and that David stumbled onto something happening (possibly whilst looking for her).

Things you consistently state as fact are at best assumptions that meet your needs.

You don't half talk a crock sometimes, like DD and GB - all the same?

Thanks you have just confirmed that my theory is entirely possible.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/881256-koh-tao-suspects-found-guilty-of-murdering-british-backpackers/?p=10251212

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems that it's Obfuscation Time once again, MrTee claimed that both images showed "The very same Black iPhone 4 that the police "displayed" on 16th September - Found on the beach."

This is false, completely. The police displayed no phone found on the beach on the 16th of September.

AleG, you're now trying to move us on without backing up your original assertions. The links you have provided thus far have not backed up your assertions.

I already backed them up, you are simply in denial; MrTee was wrong, let's see if can provide a link to the full video were the screen grab came from to confirm I am right... any time soon I'm sure. rolleyes.gif

Not backed up in the least and you know it. You said (and even emphasised that you were stating in plain English) that the phone in that picture had been pasted on. Then the article you linked to to prove this said nothing of the sort. How is that backing up your assertion that the phone was pasted on? At least admit you can't back it up rather than claim you have done so when obviously not, or credibility goes downwards.

Unbelievable the amount of rubbish being spewed here, no samples went to Singapore, they were all tested in Bangkok by the RTP. Please do your research before posting such significant information that is incorrect.

I'm afraid that he is correct - they were tested in Singapore. Apologies forthcoming from you?

From the Nation.

Semen and cigarette butts seen as key to finding who killed Britons on Koh Tao
Semen found on the body of one of the two British tourists murdered on Koh Tao in Surat Thani province last Sunday will be examined in a Singapore laboratory, national police chief General Somyot Poompanmoung said yesterday.

Somyot said the DNA test would be able to identify the race, hair colour and skin colour of the person, which would help with the police investigation.

It is understood cigarette butts found at the crime scene will also be sent to Singapore for DNA analysis, although Somyot did not mention the butts in his remarks to reporters yesterday during a visit to the island.

You mean it is HUH who is spewing an unbelievable amount of rubbish?

Well it is now about 4 hours after you corrected him, with links to resources, and a apology still hasn't been made, so I assume that he is exactly doing what he accuses other posters of and that is throwing bait and derailing the thread.

Is this the same Somyot who said he was getting the FBI to help as Thailand did not have the technology available to distinguish between Asian and western DNA yet on the 17th Sep low and behold the DNA results were through....from Bangkok, not Singapore. Now instead of believing everything you read in the press from the early reports try going to the reports from people at the court, no I'm not going to do it for you.........you are also now on my ignore as a complete waste of space who lacks intelligence and honesty

One of the defendants, Wai Phyo, said police had handcuffed him naked after he denied he was a man captured on low resolution CCTV footage near the crime scene on the night of the killings.

“A police officer came back into the room and flicked my genitalia very hard. I tried to protect myself but he pulled my legs apart. They also took photographs of me naked,” Wai Phyo told the court during the last two days of witness testimony.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/11/defendants-in-trial-over-british-tourists-are-victims-of-torture

This happened before the DNA match was announced. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that semen could have been extracted by this torture, however minute an amount.

clap2.gif

Absolutely agree with cat and dog.

The dna is useless and cannot be trusted.

The confession cannot be relied upon due to the circumstances it was obtained and cannot be trusted.

The b2 story is so unbelievable and they presented that all by themselves. They dug their own hole, without any help from the police. The judge saw that and gave the dna a little helper boost perhaps. Their story beggars belief.

I'm saying that it is highly unlikely that, don't forget, they were exceedingly drunk at the time because they allegedly rarely drunk alcohol and it took it's toll on them.

Now why would he (Win) clamber out of bed at 4.00/4.30 AM and go, all alone, down to the beach and mysteriously find a phone and sunglasses?

The whole episode is so far fetched that I wouldn't believe it if the pope told me himself.

If David and Hannah had been murdered, how did both his sunglasses and mobile end up lying in the sand and before you know it, in Win's possession. How did they get separated from him? Think about it, he (David) went to the beach with Hannah, supposedly dropped both his phone and sunglasses in the sand on the way to a secluded area and Win ended up finding them both at 5.00 AM in the morning.

I'm sorry, but in whatever way you look at it this is so ludicrous and sort of story made up by a 5 year old!!

Those that changed their minds as to their belief of innocence or guilt after hearing this series of events are to be commended (Greenchair definitely and I think Stander) others should remove their blinkers and do a bit of serious thinking about their current stance. Don't worry, only Thai's are concerned about losing face. We will congratulate you for manning up to your mistake and welcome you with open arms into our camp - the camp that wants justice delivered to the families for the tragic loss of a daughter and son!!

This is in response to my question as to whether it was impossible that he found the phone and sunglasses I think?

as for why did he go? I think it was stated that he went to look for the guitar that had gone missing? which the next day turned up at AC bar? with Mon's relative? Who took it from the beach to the AC bar in themiddle of the night??

And you make a MASSIVE assumption when you say that David went to the beach with Hannah - Can you prove that? Where has that come from. As far as I am aware the majority feeling is that they were not together on the beach and that David stumbled onto something happening (possibly whilst looking for her).

Things you consistently state as fact are at best assumptions that meet your needs.

But bear in mind his /their assumptions fit their own model perfectly....

Thanks you have just confirmed that my theory is entirely possible.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/881256-koh-tao-suspects-found-guilty-of-murdering-british-backpackers/?p=10251212

I had and still have suspicions about that nutcase's involvement as well.....

From a BBC News article today:-

"Protests against the conviction in Thailand of two Burmese men for the murder of a pair of British tourists have been growing in Yangon.

The Thai embassy's consular section in the Burmese capital said it would be closed for the week in the wake of the "unexpected and prolonged" protests."

What DID they expect? Cheering crowds applauding the "fair and transparent trial"?

Yes, again it is the top BBC story in Hannah's home county, Norfolk. The Witheridge family will of course be aware. Still no word from them regarding their satisfaction at the judgement.

Hundreds of people, including Buddhist monks and ordinary citizens, were reported to have taken to the streets on Tuesday. Thai media has earlier reported that Thai authorities asked Myanmar to contain the protests.

The family of Mr Miller say they believe justice was done by the court, in which "the judges were invariably diligent, attentive, fair and extraordinarily hardworking," said David's brother, Michael.

Thai police spokesperson Gen Dejnarong Suthichanbancha has consistently defended the investigation saying it "was done transparently and in compliance with international standards".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35196816

A couple of days ago there was a spontaneous gathering of 550 in the middle of KL.Malaysian cops shut it down quickly with " Foreigners are not allowed to demonstrate in Malaysia", they made a few arrests to drive the point home. It really is getting to be a big story. I will be very surprised if someone like the Washington Post, or similar organisation, .does not do a major and focused investigation on the tragic saga. In many countries it is known that we get the wrong people. This case is different in that they deliberately set out to get the wrong people

If the British coroner's inquest states that neither victim was raped, then the RTP and judge may have some explaining to do.

And if this is stated I would think in most civilised country's at the very lease a re-trial ordered or an acquittal.

Also the injuries, particularly in David's case.....The small puncture wounds on his face were not caused by a hoe......never.

So what caused them? and again why has the defence not brought that into question?

Maybe the defense is not capable to do their job, and some TV experts should have been asked for it.

Another theory is that the defense knows something the TV investigators don't .............................Naaah that isn't possible. Is it?

Your points are very true, but it makes the RTP case even more suspicious.

The Burmese confirm they were on the beach before and after the event, they stole the victims phone, so why have the RTP become so incompetent?

They have no more DNA to retest....why? lost? why?

Missing CCTV images? why? why have they never asked for the images to be re enhanced?

Forensic evidence incorrectly labeled and dated....why?

A mobile phone found on the beach next to a murder victim and never identified whom it belonged to....why?

Mixed and misleading statements given to the press and indeed the court,,,,why?

Either the RTP are totally and utterly incompetent and negligent or they were part of a cover up.

No-one could be that incompetent without trying, so I sway to the latter

I thought you already had the case wrapped up the same as the RTP and courts following the prosecution version of events? Now your saying you have suspicions on Seans involvement, wow now that would leave it open to a whole new scenario with others involved not just the B2 now wouldn't it.

For me I do agree he's a nutcase but involved I don't think so but could be wrong.

From a BBC News article today:-

"Protests against the conviction in Thailand of two Burmese men for the murder of a pair of British tourists have been growing in Yangon.

The Thai embassy's consular section in the Burmese capital said it would be closed for the week in the wake of the "unexpected and prolonged" protests."

What DID they expect? Cheering crowds applauding the "fair and transparent trial"?

Yes, again it is the top BBC story in Hannah's home county, Norfolk. The Witheridge family will of course be aware. Still no word from them regarding their satisfaction at the judgement.

Hundreds of people, including Buddhist monks and ordinary citizens, were reported to have taken to the streets on Tuesday. Thai media has earlier reported that Thai authorities asked Myanmar to contain the protests.

The family of Mr Miller say they believe justice was done by the court, in which "the judges were invariably diligent, attentive, fair and extraordinarily hardworking," said David's brother, Michael.

Thai police spokesperson Gen Dejnarong Suthichanbancha has consistently defended the investigation saying it "was done transparently and in compliance with international standards".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35196816

A couple of days ago there was a spontaneous gathering of 550 in the middle of KL.Malaysian cops shut it down quickly with " Foreigners are not allowed to demonstrate in Malaysia", they made a few arrests to drive the point home. It really is getting to be a big story. I will be very surprised if someone like the Washington Post, or similar organisation, .does not do a major and focused investigation on the tragic saga. In many countries it is known that we get the wrong people. This case is different in that they deliberately set out to get the wrong people

The final sentence sums it up completely.......

I have no connection with any other posters here and not wanting to repeat myself, I can say that now that I am more acquainted with the facts, I am content with the guilty verdict and as proponent of the death penalty, I do support the sentence.

" and I, Mr Stander, confirm that I really enjoy watching people die so I have made sure that my ticket for the executions entitles me to be in the front row" end of quote.

Is this the same Somyot who said he was getting the FBI to help as Thailand did not have the technology available to distinguish between Asian and western DNA yet on the 17th Sep low and behold the DNA results were through....from Bangkok, not Singapore. Now instead of believing everything you read in the press from the early reports try going to the reports from people at the court, no I'm not going to do it for you.........you are also now on my ignore as a complete waste of space who lacks intelligence and honesty

Two different DNA tests and for different purposes. The Singapore test was Ethnic DNA testing. I know that some dispute this method but for sure it can determine if it was Asian or Western DNA which was the purpose.

If the British coroner's inquest states that neither victim was raped, then the RTP and judge may have some explaining to do.

And if this is stated I would think in most civilised country's at the very lease a re-trial ordered or an acquittal.

Also the injuries, particularly in David's case.....The small puncture wounds on his face were not caused by a hoe......never.

So what caused them? and again why has the defence not brought that into question?

Maybe the defense is not capable to do their job, and some TV experts should have been asked for it.

Another theory is that the defense knows something the TV investigators don't .............................Naaah that isn't possible. Is it?

The Burmese confirm they were on the beach before and after the event, they stole the victims phone, so why have the RTP become so incompetent?

Missing CCTV images? why? why have they never asked for the images to be re enhanced?

A mobile phone found on the beach next to a murder victim and never identified whom it belonged to....why?

Either the RTP are totally and utterly incompetent and negligent or they were part of a cover up.

If they got all this wrong then it infers to me that the result verdict stemmed solely from the DNA evidence that the defence team was unable to counter, as it was so strong regards pointing to their guilt!!

I thought you already had the case wrapped up the same as the RTP and courts following the prosecution version of events? Now your saying you have suspicions on Seans involvement, wow now that would leave it open to a whole new scenario with others involved not just the B2 now wouldn't it.

For me I do agree he's a nutcase but involved I don't think so but could be wrong.

If not involved, I'm sure he has a story to tell that wouldn't impress the local mafia nor the BIB........

If not involved, I'm sure he has a story to tell that wouldn't impress the local mafia nor the BIB........

or a story that the defense would rather not hear....

If they got all this wrong then it infers to me that the result verdict stemmed solely from the DNA evidence that the defence team was unable to counter, as it was so strong regards pointing to their guilt!!

You mean the DNA that was solely in the hands of the police and wasn't able to be retested as it was used up?

As to an overly-nested post above as to whether corroborable evidence exists, for now, the written opinion of the Judges says there is sufficient evidence for a conviction whether wiser-heads disagree or could give 100 or 200 reasons why such opinion is faulty or not.

A lesson for honourable poster Mr Crab, JL.

When the embers of the fire are subsiding, and to the throbbing sounds of the didgeridoo, the indigenous folk in Australia hold a corroboree , this results in corroboration. Even Rolph Harris knows that!

Every else one knows that Thailand was never colonised by anyone except the Japanese and Burmese. Therefore the corroboration you are seeking could never be found in Thailand. Like the DNA, it does not exist, except to say the DNA did exist but got used up.

It reads like poetry, but my brain cannot grasp de meaning ... hidden message?

Nah, Luk, I was just trying to lighten the load for Mr Crab who has spent much of the last 3 days looking for corroboration.

That is Mission Impossible, nothing here can be corroborated, the DNA is a total shambles, the B2 know who did it and have to falsify some of their story to try and stay alive a little bit longer, no corroboration is possible. under the circumstances either by the attack or the defense

Two different DNA tests and for different purposes. The Singapore test was Ethnic DNA testing. I know that some dispute this method but for sure it can determine if it was Asian or Western DNA which was the purpose.

Well thats breaking news to me, can you tell me where this information was sourced by you? That the RTP outsourced their DNA testing to Singapore for ethnic testing and the rest left to Bangkok to do? Please not a statement from Somyot we all know how many incorrect statements came out of the RTP's mouths particularly at the start of the investigation. Try a credible source such as a report from court. Also bear in mind that the test results were available on the 17th Sept so that was a bloody quick turnaround from Singapore

Edited by HUH

And, there is the Rub..

Most of us come from cultures where we expect justice, fair justice..

Not only must justice be done; it must be seen to be done.

Like it or not there are many folk of all nationalities that want to see how this justice is served.

To have a few people decide behind closed doors decide on "justice" does not inspire people to believe them.

If you want to administer justice then you need to be transparent, open and above reproach..

And just a few posts above, we have a TV Member sending a Twitter message to Andy Hall suggesting that the defense or the defendants themselves might have information that might exonerate them that they chose not to reveal in Court. Instead the Defendants offered on one of the last days of the trial an explanation of their whereabouts the evening in question that in the Summary opinion the Judges considered as 'unimaginable'.

So the question of being open and transparent might not only refer to the Court and to the Prosecution but to the Defense as well

Maybe they would also like to ask Andy why He never made it public that the evidence from Davids dad about the phone was brought up when he took the stand as a defense witness (it was the translation from the embassy that the court got on the last day.

Why would Sean's involvement indicate others than the B2 to be involved?

Shame that she doesn't have expertise in DNA collection and this meant that her inclusion in the defence effort sabotaged the defence team's pitiful display in the courts!! It is equivalent to getting a dustman in to do a house clearance of valuable paintings and antiques!!

She has plenty of experience in dna collection, she has helped thousands of people get justice that would otherwise be denied to them. It's why people like her and the rtp don't. If she was called to do the forensic analysis of the crime scene intact instead of those others trampling all over the place she would have likely found the culprits but that wasnt what was required hence missing evidence and the prosecution not able to supply dna samples for verification. "Sorry,used up"....

she runs the CIFS for the Justice Department, she employs people trained to do the various tasks involved with a crime scene, they are the most well equipped and recognised to carry out that task in Thailand and yet they were excluded from this investigation most likely because they are not under the control of the police or government - everything they do is above board and by the book

But that still doesn't make they are capable and probably explains why the sample were sent to a lab in Singapore.

I know there was talk at the time of this going to a Singapore lab (and talk of FBI at the same time) but I was under the impression that neither option was used in the end and it was all done in-house, even though previously they said they did not have the capabilities. That's not gospel though and I am open to correction IF it can be validated with a reliable source TheCruncher.

replicated DNA that was being offered to the defense for retesting is not an original sample, there is no way to tell if this dna came from slaiva - sperm - blood etc it has already been processed and extracted, it is absolutly usless to make a confirmation match in a criminal case, a criminal case involves matching dna from a crime scene to an accused, i.e. 2 sets of dna to be compared from two sources, extracted or processed dna could be from the same sample i.e. the accused saliva

It would be like taking another saliva sample from the B2 and comparing it with a saliva sample taken earlier - absolutely useless at proving anything

This is why I keep repeating (and certain people keep ignoring)that in order to do a confirmation dna retest,

************only the original samples taken from the victim can be used************

The offer from the prosecution was a ploy and the defence obviously under advisement - declined

but they should have made more of this and demanded the original samples even though a prosecution witness had already testified they no longer existed and shortly after that we had the police chief claiming they still had them, that point is still not clear

until such times as this is sorted out I remain unconvinced of guilt and if the original samples cannot be produced then I will never ever believe that these samples existed in the first place - show me them prove me wrong

Maybe the UK autopsy will confirm this - no evidence of sperm found in the victim

Well thats breaking news to me, can you tell me where this information was sourced by you? That the RTP outsourced their DNA testing to Singapore for ethnic testing and the rest left to Bangkok to do? Please not a statement from Somyot we all know how many incorrect statements came out of the RTP's mouths particularly at the start of the investigation. Try a credible source such as a report from court. Also bear in mind that the test results were available on the 17th Sept so that was a bloody quick turnaround from Singapore

You should adhere to your own demands or just drop them.

How many reports from court have you used to prove your stances? You don't use much more than Andy Halls tweets as proof.

Brilliant "why would Seans involvement indicate others than the B2 to be involved" what more can I say on that. Read what you have written man.

I wonder why you cut out your own post when replying to me, actually I wonder how you can see my post while I'm on your ignore list but that's another story, but below is what you said and explains why I ask this question.

Now your saying you have suspicions on Seans involvement, wow now that would leave it open to a whole new scenario with others involved not just the B2 now wouldn't it.

Edited by TheCruncher

As to an overly-nested post above as to whether corroborable evidence exists, for now, the written opinion of the Judges says there is sufficient evidence for a conviction whether wiser-heads disagree or could give 100 or 200 reasons why such opinion is faulty or not.

A lesson for honourable poster Mr Crab, JL.

When the embers of the fire are subsiding, and to the throbbing sounds of the didgeridoo, the indigenous folk in Australia hold a corroboree , this results in corroboration. Even Rolph Harris knows that!

Every else one knows that Thailand was never colonised by anyone except the Japanese and Burmese. Therefore the corroboration you are seeking could never be found in Thailand. Like the DNA, it does not exist, except to say the DNA did exist but got used up.

It reads like poetry, but my brain cannot grasp de meaning ... hidden message?

Yes:

So we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde

And that's it hangin' on the shed!!

I hope with your eloquence showing there JLC that you can pen something suitable and dedicate it to the B2.

I should point out to you that the Kangaroo wasn't upset with what Rolph did, it was the fact that later he went off and wrote a song about it!

she runs the CIFS for the Justice Department, she employs people trained to do the various tasks involved with a crime scene, they are the most well equipped and recognised to carry out that task in Thailand and yet they were excluded from this investigation most likely because they are not under the control of the police or government - everything they do is above board and by the book

But that still doesn't make they are capable and probably explains why the sample were sent to a lab in Singapore.

Unbelievable the amount of rubbish being spewed here, no samples went to Singapore, they were all tested in Bangkok by the RTP. Please do your research before posting such significant information that is incorrect.

I'm afraid that he is correct - they were tested in Singapore. Apologies forthcoming from you?

From the Nation.

Semen found on the body of one of the two British tourists murdered on Koh Tao in Surat Thani province last Sunday will be examined in a Singapore laboratory, national police chief General Somyot Poompanmoung said yesterday.

Somyot said the DNA test would be able to identify the race, hair colour and skin colour of the person, which would help with the police investigation.

It is understood cigarette butts found at the crime scene will also be sent to Singapore for DNA analysis, although Somyot did not mention the butts in his remarks to reporters yesterday during a visit to the island.

Prove they WERE SENT to Singapore, not some statement saying they will be sent, which was then later not followed as far as I'm aware.

The claims you guys make to back up your statements rarely fit, and it's fairly blatant. You know it and we know it.

From the Nation.

Prove they WERE SENT to Singapore, not some statement saying they will be sent, which was then later not followed as far as I'm aware.

The claims you guys make to back up your statements rarely fit, and it's fairly blatant. You know it and we know it.

Ok, my turn and then you again.

Where is YOUR proof that the statement is false and the the samples were not sent to Singapore, regardless of what the police chief openly announced.

You know, only written court statements allowed as proof.

We're waiting