Boxing Orangutans?

mittheimp

In a free London evening newspaper yesterday there was a picture showing an Indonesian protest against Thailand using orangutans as boxers! Is was shown under a section called '24 hrs in pictures' so there was no other information. I haven't heard anything else about this and it sounds a little bizarre - any one know any more?

I don't know anything about boxing Orangutans, but I do know there has been a longstanding dispute between Indonesia and Thailand with respect to returning to Indonesia Orangutans trafficked to Thailand.

A whole bunch in Chiang Mai zoo where DNA tested to prove they where from Indonesia; The tests came down on the side Indonesia's claims and it was agreed that the animals must be returned. What followed next was the usual Thai provarocation, stringing out the return process in the hope that it would disapear. (Meanwhile raking in the coin).

I've not kept up with the story lately, so Chiang Mai zoo may have returned the Orangutans by now.

this being the picture-

"An Indonesian protests this morning at the use of orangutans as boxers in thailand"

"Boxing" orangutans is one of the shows of Safari World in Bangkok. The animals are not really boxing, it's just a stage show, not that that necessarily makes it much better.

post-5469-1160766217_thumb.jpg

It's been going on for years and have been discussed here on TV several times before. You can do a search if you want more info. I don't know if the shows are still being staged, there were talk about doing away with them.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

:o I seem to remember tha the owner of the zoo claimed that 4 or 5 Orangutangs had produced around 120 babies. He failed to recognise that these animals have singletons rather than a whole litter. Also, to explain away the absence when someone came to collect them he said they had died and been cremated :D

Is Don King interested? Taste-wise it could be a match made in heaven.

I'm not sure that Safari World still offers this little cultural nugget. Last time I looked, the Orangs looked to be a little punch-drunk, and even the sharpened sticks of bored spectators couldn't stir them into much pugilistic activity.

I've heard that the new attraction of Pangolin Baiting seems to be faring much better. :o With some serious wager action going on too!

I've seen the primate Muay Thai at Safari World a couple times; not sure if they still have this show. As another poster said, it's all staged...the animals don't get hurt although they have the potential to inflict a lot of damage due to their strength. If you want to see some primates boxing, just head to your local high school. Actually, they're more like buffalo...primates are intelligent:)

• 1 month later...

When boxing Orangutans, please ensure that soft padding is used so that they are not damaged in transit. No more than four Orangutans should be consigned to a single box. This is to comply with EU regulation 147.349/OT.54 (ammendment 2) ref. "Orangutans, packaging thereof".

In a free London evening newspaper yesterday there was a picture showing an Indonesian protest against Thailand using orangutans as boxers! Is was shown under a section called '24 hrs in pictures' so there was no other information. I haven't heard anything else about this and it sounds a little bizarre - any one know any more?

The Indonesians should look a little closer to home and protest about their own mistreatment of these creatures. Chaining them up in brothels so that the locals can get their rocks off, ranks as far worse abuse in my book. But i guess they don't like to publicise that so much....