Bangkok Bank: No internet banking for Thailand Elite card holder

In the condominium we manage all foreign owners have internet banking, none have a work permit or company. I have internet banking with BKK bank, and also for my company, pretty disappointing service. I would recommend K Bank, BAYor SCB. As ever, things very from one branch to another, but I KNOW you can open an account without a work permit.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds quite bizarre.

I have internet banking with BBL and think only had to show the passport.

Try Krung Thai, their internet banking works fine.

I had internet banking with Thai Commercial but it seemed to be incompatible with my Macs.

I tried to get internet banking with the Gov Savings bank, but was told it was for Thais only.

OP, you have much more experience here than me. When I considered buying a business under a corp name here as 100% owner (Amity), I wasn't interested in working there. Lawyers told me I NEED a work permit to receive money, even if it's only cash flow and not profit/salary. With the new foreign owned company task force that was formed in 2015, full time agents are focused only on foreign owned co. compliance.

The law is so vague, even if I don't 'work' at the business, just merely accepting money, checking the corp bank account, talking to the managers etc is considered 'work' under the law and requires a wp.

Do you, or others here know if this is true?

Unless the rules have changed the OP is getting the run around. I've had BKK I-Banking for several years. Bit of a hassle as I cannot have my wife on the account but I get around that by transferring from the i-bank account into a joint account... which by the way on the joint account we can not have internet access... go figure.

Just make your wife a 3rd party payee and transfer to her normal account,easy peasy.

Possibly it's related to the visa, although I can't think why. I have accounts with Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank, when opening them both times I was offered internet banking. I'm on a retirement visa.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone on Thai Visa - even the grumpy members.biggrin.png

Oh please. I am retired and have been in Thailand almost 15 years. I do not work. I got an internet account access years ago. When I asked about it all they asked me was what kind of visa I had. At the time it was a one year non-O multi entry. No problem. Fill out a form and was signed up immediately.

I would suggest trying at a different branch. By the way, I am on a Thai Elite visa now. Still evalua

He would probably be told to go back to his original bank'as if they're not the same company.

Strange. I opened a Bangkok Bank account earlier this year with just a retirement visa and got internet banking. Try talking to the bank manager. I've always found that if I had a problem, I could solve it by talking to the branch manager, though that was at other Thai banks. In the case of Bangkok Bank, I just opened an account and someone showed me how to enable Internet banking at the ATM just outside the branch.

Strange. I opened a Bangkok Bank account earlier this year with just a retirement visa and got internet banking. Try talking to the bank manager. I've always found that if I had a problem, I could solve it by talking to the branch manager, though that was at other Thai banks. In the case of Bangkok Bank, I just opened an account and someone showed me how to enable Internet banking at the ATM just outside the branch.

And when I opened my Kasicorn account I just had a tourist visa and got internet banking right away

In the condominium we manage all foreign owners have internet banking, none have a work permit or company. I have internet banking with BKK bank, and also for my company, pretty disappointing service. I would recommend K Bank, BAYor SCB. As ever, things very from one branch to another, but I KNOW you can open an account without a work permit.

What's disappointing about BB.Easy to get around the site and has never let me down,what more do you want.

In the OP's position I would threaten to immediately close all my accounts with the bank. I say this cos i have lots of accounts, a bit of money and have been here yonks and I have always done something like that if faced with poor service. They will soon be running around for you. That will really lower your blood pressure.... Bad customer service and petty regulations is something you never have to put up with.

If account is joint or they have you listed as a tourist you must visit a branch to open internet banking with Bangkok Bank - but it is easy once you file the application - but most branch offices do not know the rules so you my have to tell them.

You hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa e.g. ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, SE, MT, S

(except non-immigrant L-A visa)

1. Valid passport, and
  2. ONE of the following documents:

2.1 An identity card with your photo issued by a government institution or university as such as:

- Your driver’s license, Foreign Identification Card, University Student/Professor Card

2.2 A letter of recommendation from

- Embassy, International Organization, Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT message, a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as BBL staff, customer, government officer, company executive, private firms), or home country institutions (such as pension receipt)

2.3 Other documents issued in Thailand showing your name such as:

- Bank Statement, lease agreement, utility bill, documents showing owners of a fixed asset Condominium e.g. Sale/Purchase Agreement

You mean they make up their rules and don't know them?? Oh, wait. This is Thailand.

Siam Commercial's SCB Easy Net.

Very good.

No need to ask the bank. Customers register themselves.

Same- same., been Internet banking with SCB for years. The trick is to not ask uninformed bank staff.

Simultaneously, your opinion of Thais ( considering you are a guest in their country and also considering, no doubt, that you make lots of money out of the Thais working for you - you are an embarrassing to those of us long termers who have learned to have respect and jai yen. My reaction to you having several hotels and declaring you don't need a work permit is to turn you in for attitude adjustment. Just joking. Seriously, have you never heard of all of the benefits before now ? Example, monthly auto debits for your electric, Internet, etc.

Another of the we are "guests" here in Thailand brigade

Sounds like a common case of having to by-pass the morons and minions and get to some one with authority and decision making capabilities.

That or possibly ......."they"...... just do not like you...lol

Edited by gemguy

With so much time and money invested in Thailand I'm surprised at your naivety

...Try another branch

Yes, I'm aware of that option. Perhaps surprisingly to you, I am not going to spend my time going from bank-branch to bank-branch, in the hope of finding one who is willing to bend the rules.

I'll contact Thai Panit - thanks Briggsy for the suggestion.

Its not going from branch to branch to find one that will "bend" the rules but to find the one that follows the rules. As stated many banks won't take the time to follow the rules. Tried opening an account at Citi Bank Central World BKK I am from USA on retirement Visa (non-O) they said no account without WP ,went to their branch near Asok station they opened one with a deposit of $100,000 baht. Went to a couple of BKK Banks did not want to give me account went to one at mall they gave me account with internet access but had to wait till manager came back from vacation to approve it( 1 week)

In the OP's position I would threaten to immediately close all my accounts with the bank. I say this cos i have lots of accounts, a bit of money and have been here yonks and I have always done something like that if faced with poor service. They will soon be running around for you. That will really lower your blood pressure.... Bad customer service and petty regulations is something you never have to put up with.

I think that's bad advice and unecisary. Best to be polite friendly and smile. Has always worked for me.

I've vented my anger by email at BB's customer service department.

Yes, I know they will do sweet F.A. about my complaint, but it has helped to reduce my blood pressure smile.png

4 times now I think it is

How dare you?! It is no more than 3 times smile.png

No 4 said no :)

It is a pity people here drove the person from Bangkok Bank who did his best to help people off the board with their trolling.

I do not know where your account is but the best place to deal with BBk is the malls as they are used to foreigners and do not very often just say no can do without checking.

I would try again.

Dan5,

You assume i might not have been polite and friendly. After thirty plus years here i know how to threaten to do something like close my account with the broadest smile on my face and in the politest Thai language. But i have never learnt servility.

Merry Christmas.

Dan5,

You assume i might not have been polite and friendly. After thirty plus years here i know how to threaten to do something like close my account with the broadest smile on my face and in the politest Thai language. But i have never learnt servility.

Merry Christmas.

I've been here a long time also. But if you like to be obnoxious and act like your high so, that's up to you but unnecessary.

Thanks for all the comments. The refusal to add ibanking to my savings account sounded really weird to me as well. The lady at my branch rang through to BB HQ (where I also have another account), gave them my account number etc, described my visa and my business holdings and they said if I don't have a WP then no ibanking!

So I called up Thailand Elite CS and got them to ask the same questions, with my bank account #s, and they emailed me back with the same refusal.

I really cannot understand it at all. But TiT and I will contact SCB and other banks to ask them for an ibanking account.

Maybe one of my ex-wives was the gik of the BB president.... ??