Lock An Excell File?

BattyBatty

It's possible to password protect the contents of the sheet not allowing anyone to make changes, basically rendering it useless for dynamic work. Under 'Tools' 'Protection' 'Protect Sheet'. You can then send them the password when payment arrives. The data is still visible though.

BattyBatty - Probably the easiest way to accomplish this would be to compress (ZIP) the file, requiring a password to reopen it. A zipped file is often smaller, making it faster and easier to email and thus more likely to arrive intact.

Most OS today have the capability to zip/unzip a file. If needed, one of the better compression utilities is WinRAR.

You could also upload the Excel file to one of the many free online storage sites, such as RapidShare or DepositFiles. Upon receipt of payment, you could provide the buyer with the download information, and later delete the file.

With extremely sensative data, you may wish to consider one of the 128/256 bit encryption utilities such as PGP, SecurityPlus or Cryptor.

waldwolf

Is it possible to lock the file with a password to prevent burning the data before i have recieved payment foir said file?

You do not say what version of Excel you use. Also, I do not know what you mean by “burning the data”.

In Excel 2003, I do the following to password-protect a file, i.e. a password will be needed to open the file:

-- Save As

-- Tools (top right of window)

-- General Options...

-- Password to open: <type password>

-- OK

-- Reenter password to proceed <type same password again>

-- OK

-- Save

---------------

Maestro

BattyBatty - Probably the easiest way to accomplish this would be to compress (ZIP) the file, requiring a password to reopen it. A zipped file is often smaller, making it faster and easier to email and thus more likely to arrive intact.

Most OS today have the capability to zip/unzip a file. If needed, one of the better compression utilities is WinRAR.

You could also upload the Excel file to one of the many free online storage sites, such as RapidShare or DepositFiles. Upon receipt of payment, you could provide the buyer with the download information, and later delete the file.

With extremely sensative data, you may wish to consider one of the 128/256 bit encryption utilities such as PGP, SecurityPlus or Cryptor.

waldwolf

These are the best options since excel can be easily hacked if the password is set in excel.

excel can be easily hacked if the password is set in excel.
Now you have me worried, because I rely on a password-protected Excel file to store sensitive information.

Which hacker on this forum is the first to tell me the value stored in cell A15 in the attached file (13.5K) ?

If the file gets hacked easily, I have to review my options for protecting sensitive data.

---------------

Maestro

Password_protection_test.xls

Which hacker on this forum is the first to tell me the value stored in cell A15 in the attached file (13.5K) ?
Forget it! I googled for an password recovery program just now, installed it and was amazed how quickly the password was cracked: just a few seconds.

Thank you, Mr. Gates, for the beautiful Excel! :o

---------------

Maestro

...and thank you very much, Waldwolf, for having drawn my attention to the relative uselessness of password-protecting a Microsoft Excel document :o

The same is true for other types of Microsoft Office documents, I have now found during my research into this subject.

---------------

Maestro

Thank you all - such detailed info is appreciated.

Tywais - suprised at how simple this was to implement; just three clicks and the file is now protected. I have tested it by trying to make changes and it will not alow it, so my goal is complete. I dont have a printer so could not test if you can still print it, but i would guess you cant.

Waldwolf - Good idea regarding the zip file, however i cant realy use this solution as the buyer needs to read the data to check consitancy (i provided a sample, i asume he needs to verify the full data on reciept). Deposit files seems handy tool, i am sure i will use this is tne future.

Maestro - excell 2003. By burning the data.... I am handing over the disk to a third party to exchange with the buyer. I do not want anyone burning copies in between myself and the buyer. Also becasue i will not be there when the disk is handed over, i do not want the buyer buring the disk to his machine an then claiming he does not want to buy it to the third party.

I am now are there is a chance of downloading a programme to unlock the file. I doubt very much the buyer will work this out as he is even less computer literate than I am. Also it is not a huge amount of money we are talking about here, just 35,000 - plus the chance of future sales, i doubt e would try very hard to unlock the file in the presence of the third party seller.

Thans again for all the detailed help. Do not be suprised if I bombard this forum with newbie questions from now on!

...........I do not want anyone burning copies in between myself and the buyer...........
Copying the data from a CD or DVD to ones hard drive, or burning another copy of a CD or DVD (even those which have commercial anti-piracy protection) is actually easier than trying to find a relatively secure password. Doesn't take a lot of smarts to do either! :o ( Examples of duplication software: HERE ...and... HERE )

maestro - Your welcome. You may be interested in reading Steve Gibson's (GRC) article "Perfect Passwords", at the GRC website. Quite interesting.

waldwolf