Airport Time Capsule Repair, beware!

Gulfsailor

I have an Apple Airport Time Capsule Router. I really liked it, until it suddenly wouldn't properly start up anymore recently. The indicator light flashes rapidly, and I hear the HDD spinning up, but that's it. No wifi network is being initiated, nor do any of the Lan ports function. (Also no lights go on at the Lan ports when a cable is plugged in)

This device is around 1.5 years old, so out of warranty.

I visited the iCare shop on Samui to enquiry about repair. She made some calls and after waiting about 15 minutes the verdict came back; Apple does not repair these things, in stead offers a replacement / swap service. Ok, if I can get a new one for a few thousand Baht, that is ok. So I asked the lady how much the swap would cost. After a few more phone calls I got the answer; 11,100 Baht. In the meantime I checked the price of a new one. What do you think; 11,100 Baht. So Apple is offering to replace my broken one with a refurbished one with only 3 months warranty for the price of a brand new one. Ridiculous!!!

So I removed the HDD, copied the data of it, then reformatted it to NTFS, copied the data back on, and now it is connected via USB to a new 900 Baht router. A bit slow, but saved me over 10,000 Baht.

Might have been better to contact Apple support directly via their website, and ask them. I think there are options for call, chat or email.

I have always found them very helpful.

Seeing as you seem to feel comfortable removing the hard drive, this might be worth a look: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

Thanks, I'll try Apple support directly. The ifixit solution is regarding the power supply, which is working fine in my device as indicator light works and HDD is spinning.

Apple Time Capsule Memorial Register

Interesting numbers.

Either this is the natural statistical result selling Lots of Time Capsules,

or the device has a worse MTBF rate than other similar devices of this type.

I guess the 'take-away' from this is either, don't buy the things -or- always have an applecare warranty for your products place.

Thanks, but as far as I know you can't get AppleCare on the Time Capsule.

Apple Time Capsule Memorial Register

Interesting numbers.

Either this is the natural statistical result selling Lots of Time Capsules,

or the device has a worse MTBF rate than other similar devices of this type.

I guess the 'take-away' from this is either, don't buy the things -or- always have an applecare warranty for your products place.

Thanks, but as far as I know you can't get AppleCare on the Time Capsule.

I gather you didn't bother actually reading the website:

Option 1

Call Apple or contact your reseller
Call AppleCare or contact your reseller to tell them about your dead Time Capsule. You will be asked if you have AppleCare.

IMPORTANT: any active AppleCare agreement will do (it is impossible to get AppleCare on the Time Capsule itself).

This effectively means that you can have AppleCare on a computer you purchased after you purchased your Time Capsule. Keep in mind that AppleCare is what Apple calls their 1-year standard warranty, so it’s not neccessary to have puchased additional 3-year extended AppleCare (Protection Plan) to apply for this option (you just need to have a computer within the 1-year warranty period).
Yes, I have AppleCare
This is the easiest route, Apple will send you a replacement Time Capsule without much hassle and will require you to return your failed unit. If you’re lucky, you get a newer model, or even one with a bigger hard disk, but that is entirely up to Apple, so don’t get your hopes up. You may also get a refurbished model. If you need to get your data off the Time Capsule hard disk, then proceed to step 3. If not, then you can stop reading now and make that call.

... unfortunately

IMPORTANT: although Apple now has a policy for replacing out-of-warranty Time Capsules, it does not have a policy about whether it is okay for you to open up your failed unit. We have reports from people who were given the green light to open up the Time Capsule to recover their data, but we also have reports of people being warned that they would void the warranty if they did. In either case: take care not to damage the Time Capsule (especially the rubber foot) when you open it.

Here's an interesting, if not completely unethical, solution from the Discussions.Apple.com site:

Applecare will cover your TC, if...
you have any computer or appleTV available with applecare current, Apple will replace it,
-or-
if any are less than one year and still qualify for applecare you can buy it and get coverage on the TC.
If the TC is less than 2years old.. you can go into an apple store. Bring said TC after you wipe the disk.. copy off all the info you need of course.
Buy Apple TV.. buy applecare for it.
Now ask apple to replace your TC.. it is covered.
Now return the ATV for refund.. you no longer need it.

Here's an interesting, if not completely unethical, solution from the Discussions.Apple.com site:

you have any computer or appleTV available with applecare current, Apple will replace it,

-or-

if any are less than one year and still qualify for applecare you can buy it and get coverage on the TC.

If the TC is less than 2years old.. you can go into an apple store. Bring said TC after you wipe the disk.. copy off all the info you need of course.

Interesting idea...

-or-

If you buy an ATV in Thailand, you can return it for a full refund? How much does Applecare cost?

Since Apple doesn't have an actual Apple Store in Thailand, that is an excellent question.

I've never purchased, then returned an apple product in Thailand. Maybe someone who has purchase/return experience will chime in.

Official Apple repair centres pinned at the top of the Apple topic... Icare stores are around Thailand more than they used to be....in outlying areas, so one does not have to take/ send to BKK....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/722640-apple-mac-warranty-centres-in-thailand-official-places/

Call Apple and ask, they will help as to where to take..... (Warranty) Once you have an order number it shows up at all official places on their computer....

Need to do my self too my TC has been on the blink for a while now too! facepalm.gif

Edited by samuijimmy