Drinking water options in Kata area

metice

I've been using the large opaque bottles that get delivered on a pickup, but recently the taste has been alarmingly bad. I guess for 10 Baht you can't complain too much, but I wonder what long term harm it might be doing. I'm not sure how it's produced but there are definitely some quality issues. I was wondering what other options might be available in the area? I'd rather avoid the over-priced bottled water from the shops if possible.

I guess you get your water from The Green Water Company in Kata. And yes, the water quality can wary quite a bit depending on the filtering quality control.

I suggest you find one of these coin operated water vending machines. You need to take your own plastic bottles. Works by osmosis technique, quite safe to drink.

The water in white opaque bottles is pretty bad. Tried it once and that was the end of that. Not sure how safe but the water tastes terrible. I don't take any chances. I buy H2O brand. It is more expensive (45B/18.9L) but safer. It's filtered, reverse osmosis, UV and ozone treated. The quality is consistent and they deliver weekly like clockwork.

I guess you get your water from The Green Water Company in Kata. And yes, the water quality can wary quite a bit depending on the filtering quality control.

I suggest you find one of these coin operated water vending machines. You need to take your own plastic bottles. Works by osmosis technique, quite safe to drink.

Do you mean the vending machines that you often see in apartment blocks? I remember reading an article a few weeks back that over 90% that were tested in Bangkok failed water quality tests. 30% also had rusty valves!

Are there other companies that deliver? I've heard that Seahorse and SPA are better, albeit a little more expensive. Not sure if they are in this area, though.

Well .... that was an interesting article ---> http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/over-half-of-water-vending-machines-in-bangkok-unsafe-to-drink

Personally I use the big opaque bottles for boiling(coffee and veg), and 6 pack from Makro for drinking (about 45 baht)

I used the vending machines when living in Bangkok. I don't remember being sick but it makes you wonder about the long term effects and build up of harmful substances.

The taste from some of the opaque bottles over the last few months has been so bad I couldn't even use it for coffee. Would like to know what causes it!

For drinking I use Aura mineral water. For cooking and hot drinks I use Nestle drinking water. A lot more expensive than the giant, metallic tasting, green stuff in the bottom ฿10 bottles but so much better tasting. The 6L supermarket bottles are not good value compared to a 6 x 1.5L pack (9L) that's about 50% more water for much the same money. I dread to think what's in these giant bottles besides water. With a proven track record in the local hygiene and maintenance fields ... I would not touch that stuff with your barge pole !

The water in white opaque bottles is pretty bad. Tried it once and that was the end of that. Not sure how safe but the water tastes terrible. I don't take any chances. I buy H2O brand. It is more expensive (45B/18.9L) but safer. It's filtered, reverse osmosis, UV and ozone treated. The quality is consistent and they deliver weekly like clockwork.

Whereabouts are you? Do you need to phone them and order?

Whereabouts are you? Do you need to phone them and order?

I'm in Chalong. But check it out: http://www.h2odrinkingwater.com/

Buy a water filter system make sure it has UV fitted and your ok

Phuket water generally should be ok as you have no heavy industry polluting the local dams

Phuket may not have heavy industry today but its ground water is contaminated with heavy metals from extensive tin mining of years gone by.

And you believe the machine's filters are kept clean and sanitary?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/over-half-of-water-vending-machines-in-bangkok-unsafe-to-drink

29.4% are rusted, 21.1% are corroded,

After reading that article I will take it with a pinch of salt

pretty sure rusted and corroded are the same

Rusted specifically refers to iron or steel. Corroded covers steel, other alloys such as stainless, or other metals such as copper or aluminium.

Phuket water generally should be ok as you have no heavy industry polluting the local dams

Phuket may not have heavy industry today but its ground water is contaminated with heavy metals from extensive tin mining of years gone by.

Groundwater from what I believe is bore? below surface So how would heavy metal contamination appear in rain filled dams?

Not this specific model but I use exclusively in my home - now 8 years - a work top slow filter to filter government tap water into drinking and cooking water. The key is the ceramic filter that passes water filled from above drip by drip the pores in the ceramic are so small they will bridge - block micro organisms from passing through and other fine particulate. If it drips its working.

Unlike the inline pressure type filters and RO light systems that all surely work there is no visible proof or comfort of knowledge these devices are indeed working. RO bulbs need changing every year (hmm does that mean they stop being effective after exactly 364 days) - and water needs to be clean - nearly free of turbidity.

Ok they work on basic water supplies just about OK for public consumption - to clean it up and give assurance of safety at point of consumption.

As example the blue vending machines we see - have the inline filters and RO but just using 'town' water supply as a source. They do not have onboard monitoring controls that will shut machine down if water is contaminated.

My current model is actually made in Lao and promoted for cheap but dependable water. check here http://www.laowater.com/ceramic-water-purifier/ they are available in Thailand.

Peace of mind and sustainability is seeing clean water drip by drip.

Ground water may be contaminated by heavy metals in parts where there was mining activity; could be worth fining out.

I live near the bottom of a forest covered hill on Phuket Island, and have been drinking well water for the past dozen years. It goes through a sand and charcoal filter, but is otherwise untreated. Tastes better than bottled water, and I have never had a problem.

I grew up drinking spring water on a farm…….. never liked treated town water.

Archived