Koh Tao verdict protests stirred up: Thai govt

webfact

• I do not believe these two guys will be executed. They will be handed over to Myanmar as a show of benevolence by the Thai Government. Thailand makes Karma, the guys are freed, the case is put to rest. All is well that ends well. Western sense of justice isn't part of the equation. Some important person(s) get away with murder, happens often all over the world.
Can you tell me where else in the world the scenario you outline occurs?
It seems he was saying, "some important person(s) gets away with murder, happens often all over the world.

O.J. Simpson comes quickly to mind, but only because that case received international publicity.

The confidence that all will end well and the Burmese handed over is at best hopeful.

I would have more faith in the possibility that will both be found hung ( suicide ) with a note begging for forgiveness for their terrible crimes .

And their bodies cremated before autopsy or family or human rights groups examine them.

Much the same as recent opponents who died in prison recently had their bodies cremated quickly.

Some people think this is all just wink and nudge Asian politics being played out and it's all good.?

Nah , it's actually very corrupt stuff.

The irony is it will do more harm to them than good. ( government)

People fear being murdered and going to military run countries , but sometimes tolerate risks.

However state run executions of innocents and letting the real killers free, is getting closer to the limits of excluding that country from selection next year.

I have .

Hope many others will too.

The confidence that all will end well and the Burmese handed over is at best hopeful.

I would have more faith in the possibility that will both be found hung ( suicide ) with a note begging for forgiveness for their terrible crimes .

And their bodies cremated before autopsy or family or human rights groups examine them.

Much the same as recent opponents who died in prison recently had their bodies cremated quickly.

Some people think this is all just wink and nudge Asian politics being played out and it's all good.?

Nah , it's actually very corrupt stuff.

The irony is it will do more harm to them than good. ( government)

People fear being murdered and going to military run countries , but sometimes tolerate risks.

However state run executions of innocents and letting the real killers free, is getting closer to the limits of excluding that country from selection next year.

I have .

Hope many others will too.

The Burmese scapegoats haven't been executed yet... unlike some unfortunate kids recently who got in the way of the redshirt terrorists' grenades.

That'd be me final comment, as I prefer to avoid the obligatory red/yellow pissing matches.

A cliched and predictable response........ The normal response for those who are protested against or who don't agree with protestors is to suggest that the demos are in some way "organised" or manipulated........well yes...they are...that's how demos work, people get organised to show their disapproval, learn to live with that and MAYBE listen to a few of them?

• I do not believe these two guys will be executed. They will be handed over to Myanmar as a show of benevolence by the Thai Government. Thailand makes Karma, the guys are freed, the case is put to rest. All is well that ends well. Western sense of justice isn't part of the equation. Some important person(s) get away with murder, happens often all over the world.
It seems he was saying, "some important person(s) gets away with murder, happens often all over the world.

O.J. Simpson comes quickly to mind, but only because that case received international publicity.

Simpson got his just desserts in the end.

However why did he get away with murder?

Could have been down to fact police caught out trying to "manipulate" evidence...allegedly that is.

Corrupt, or for the sake of argument incompetent, police actions always can lead to doubt being cast on a case.

In countries with a sense of justice that is.

Edited by Bluespunk

This issue has finally gave me understanding of the junta running thailand now. The junta doesnot care if the world believes them and what they do ,but it does frustrated them that the world does not just follow along like their country men. they will keep doing as they please,because they are unacountable to the rest of the world. their own personal interests are all that matter. Getting their way is all they care about. If scapegoats are needed to protect friends, then there will be scapegoats. The rest of the world has to understand Thai ways of doing things. The lower you are in their class system the less value your life has. Must protect the elite at the cost of the lower class. They used to kill their own slaves of the family if need be.Laos,Burma Cambodia are all lower and dispensible for sure.

This junta is fast losing international friends by his own doing and rather inept handling of international public relation. Now we are even losing friends from our own inclusive ASEAN community. Philippines and Indonesia and now Myanmar not short of criticisms. Only friend is China and they are screwing Thailand by increasing the loan interest rate. Might as well close the borders as the big guy always wanted.

The 1992 Rodney King case comes to my mind where Los Angeles police officers were acquitted by a jury even though the incident was captured by video camera. The locals were not happy with the verdict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

la_g_la-riots_mb_576.jpeg

Edited by JLCrab

It really does seem rather paranoiac to imagine that these events, so far removed from anything remotely of interest to the democratic dictator in the desert, would be worth even 100 baht for him to finance and organize?

Didn't the BIB - ever his faithful lapdogs - get exactly what they wanted here? How would their faction benefit by rocking the boat?

I suppose that when a ruling clique is uncertain of whether or not they actually have widespread public support, it's easy to imagine the bogeyman around every corner.

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha was furious yesterday when asked about protests in Myanmar against the verdict. "They have the right to appeal, right? Laws all over the world [are] like this… , or Thailand does not have such system," he said. "Doesn't Thailand have the same?""

eerrrrr not really - what Thailand has is Prawit. Poster boy of Thainess personified.