Beach info please

drjmagic

Greetings from -13C and snowing (Canada)

I need travel info help!

I am making a quick trip to Thailand in March and I would like to find a nice beach that is:

- less than 6 hour drive from Lopburi (we will only have 3 days / 2 nights for this holiday)

- as uncrowded as possible (impossible, I know, but perhaps less crowded than Pattaya)

- has discount hotels/resorts rooms under 1000B per night (maybe 1500B?). In March I'd like aircon

- does NOT have wild and crazy nightlife (i.e. laid back and quieter - more family oriented)

Many thanks in advance

Pete

You've got quite a few options. On the Eastern side, Koh Chang, and Koh Samet are 2 nice islands. On the mainland, Chao Lao is OK, but accommodations are not cheap nor easy to book.

On the other side you've got Cha Am and Hua Hin. Further south is Ban Krut and then Bang Saphan. Also easy to fly to Samui with lots of options there.

All are relatively crowded on weekends as they are near Bangkok. For ease of access, I'd recommend Cha Am. Beach is so so, and packed on weekends, but has lots of cheap accommodations.

I think Koh Chang would be a safe bet. Laid back, family oriented, but still a little "zoom" to be found if you want it. For the best price in hotels have a look at Agoda, it's often a lot cheaper than walk-in. Under 1500 baht should be doable in March, although nowadays they seem to stretch high-season prices straight into low-season for as long as they can get away with it.