Only themselves to blame

Snackbar

Why is your wife even working?

If she needs the job and has to work on her day off.. Then she should blame you..

Or it has nothing to do with money, and it's you she's avoiding?

Or you're bored and had nothing better to do??

May be he hasn't a paid for wife, like most of the members here.

Guy's here for over 30 years and his poor wife is still picking rice.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If she needs the job and has to work on her day off.. Then she should blame you..

Not sure what you want to say with your comment, but my mom and dad have both a pension from their working life, and so are most people I know in my home country.

My married friends who still live there all have jobs both, and they will work until their retirement, so why do you think that a Thai wife need to be sponsored?

Not sure what you want to say with your comment, but my mom and dad have both a pension from their working life, and so are most people I know in my home country.

My married friends who still live there all have jobs both, and they will work until their retirement, so why do you think that a Thai wife need to be sponsored?

I don't think the wife should not work, but picking rice for less than minimum wage?

I think a guy that's been here over 30 years ought to have a little more going on than that.

Mandatory overtime for over 8 hours a day.

Mandatory 30 days sick days a year

Mandatory 30 days pay per month

Mandatory 15 paid holidays per year

Mandatory 30 days notice to terminate

Mandatory severance pay

Minimum wage has doubled in the last few years

I work for a pretty typical company compensation wise, and everyone gets monthly bonuses and allowances, and an annual bonus of one to four months pay, this year it was 89 days pay.

Yes, working conditions here are hideous.

If that is in LOS, it applies to a miniscule number of workers. Most get NO paid overtime, though they do extra work at standard rate, no sick leave, paid only for days worked.

everyone gets monthly bonuses and allowances, and an annual bonus of one to four months pay, this year it was 89 days pay.

555555555555555555555555555 What a laugh. Have you never gotten out of Bkk and talked to people in the villages and small towns where most Thais live?

15 days hols a year, my wife never seems to get that many days holiday- I'll ask her next time I phone her, 30 days notice ditto, severance pay ditto.

If you think the rice workers in Nakhon Nowhere get full minimum wage you need to get a out a bit more.

My wife is from a village in the far north east where they grow rice, so she should know. Now she works for a major Thai company.

OK, so I asked my wife.

She worked for a big Thai company or over 2 years and got about 200 baht severance pay. Yes, she had to give 30 days notice. She only got 7 days a year holiday.

You don't get severance pay if you give notice, because that is the same thing as resigning. You get severance pay if your employer summarily terminates your employment (after a qualifying period).

The amount of severance you receive increases with time served. 2 years in gets you 90 days pay. 10 years in gets you 300 days pay.

Staff get 13 traditional holiday days per year (from the available 16 dates). After 1 years service they also get an additional 6 days leave.

Fair enough about severance, but my wife didn't get extra time off if she worked a public holiday, just the one day a week and 7 days holiday a year, even after a year. It bugged me because we could never have enough time to go away anywhere for more than a few days.

DM........Tesco's........When the manager or head of department walks bye, why do till staff stop doing their thing and Wai...? Why is that...?

Why do they give you a Wai when they hand you the receipt?

They wai you? Always?

Can't recall a time when they haven't. Maybe it's because I thank them with a smile. biggrin.png I also get the occasional Yin Dee Ka in return.

Store clerks usually wai ( outside of tourist areas anyway ) when they give you the receipt, but it's no more than a western employee saying "have a nice day" ie just a formality.

My Thai wife was asked by her employer to postpone her day off this holiday season because the Billion dollar hotel business she works at is 'busy'.

Instead of asking what's in it for me? Her and all of her colleagues said ok.

When will Thai workers stand up for themselves and say no?

Don't they realise they are being abused? And until they stand up for themselves, pay and working conditions will never change.

From a western point of view they are fools. They're getting nothing in return and clearly their employer is taking the p***.

Your four first words in last paragraph should give you a clue this is Thailand not a western country can't apply what does or doesn't happen in West to here. Plus I know there are the same types of employers all over the western front. Was your wife happy to move her holiday???

We've had the go home brigade, the stop whining bunch, the newbie gang, the what do you expect nonsense and now, this isn't the west spiel.

Again, nothing to do with my missus. Just an observation of the employment market.

If you've any experience of being an employer you'd know good staff are difficult to find. Say it ain't so.

Have a nice evening.

Good one! Op probably forces her to work...................hahahaha.

We've had the go home brigade, the stop whining bunch, the newbie gang, the what do you expect nonsense and now, this isn't the west spiel.

Again, nothing to do with my missus. Just an observation of the employment market.

If you've any experience of being an employer you'd know good staff are difficult to find. Say it ain't so.

Have a nice evening.

I have a small business back in UK small as in 5 staff and my son as manager good staff as you call them are very easy to find in uk. Problem is if you give an inch they want a mile. Now loyal staff is a diffrent thing they will as I have to be flexible last minute changes to fulfill orders are a weekly thing no orders no jobs it's that simple really. All I said in my post before is this is not the west so same work values cannot be used here. Let's face it getting staff per sa in Thailand is easy and maybe your wife's boss knows this. So it's swim in line or sink I'm afraid.

How wrong can you be and still breathe? #clueless.

I do feel sorry for you I wonder if that's why your wife volunteers to work 24/7 I would but hey what do I know your the only expert on here so whatever you say has to be right. After all my business is only 30yr old I'm clueless.

Perhaps the blow hards here haven't worked in Thailand. Don't know any Thai's. Live in a Rat infested falang neighbourhood in Thailand. Drink their beer with sex workers. Have bought a sex worker and delude themselves they have a wife. Spend their time smoking garbage and rotting away from the inside out with their bar stool bull.

If you knew anybody working in Thailand's hospitality industry you'd know they are paid minimum wage for a twelve hour day. They don't get paid overtime. They don't live in a nice house. Don't have a kitchen, garden, nice car. Don't travel abroad for holidays twice a year.

Ask any and they'd love to have these things.

When they're asked by their employer to work for free because the company is exploitative they don't so no.

IMO they have only themselves to blame.

Beautiful day here in Phuket, getting paid to relax at home.

Perhaps the blow hards here haven't worked in Thailand. Don't know any Thai's. Live in a Rat infested falang neighbourhood in Thailand. Drink their beer with sex workers. Have bought a sex worker and delude themselves they have a wife. Spend their time smoking garbage and rotting away from the inside out with their bar stool bull.

If you knew anybody working in Thailand's hospitality industry you'd know they are paid minimum wage for a twelve hour day. They don't get paid overtime. They don't live in a nice house. Don't have a kitchen, garden, nice car. Don't travel abroad for holidays twice a year.

When they're asked by their employer to work for free because the company is exploitative they don't so no.

Way past time for your medication...............................coffee1.gif

You call other people blow hards?

The thing that most of you seem to miss is that thais are completely at the mercy of theist employers..

My gf has a qualified position at a huge company. Ones in a while she and her colleagues get "asked" or more along the lines of told to work 36 hours straight doing inventory. I ask her if they pay for OT she says "I hope so".

Forget about thainess this, service industry that. Its about the people in positions of power having zero regard for human worth.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The thing that most of you seem to miss is that thais are completely at the mercy of theist employers..

My gf has a qualified position at a huge company. Ones in a while she and her colleagues get "asked" or more along the lines of told to work 36 hours straight doing inventory. I ask her if they pay for OT she says "I hope so".

Forget about thainess this, service industry that. Its about the people in positions of power having zero regard for human worth.

So you think it's only thailand that exploits workers so so wrong on many levels the UK for instance last person I employed before handingmanagement over to son. Young lady 25 yr old diplomas and and O levels coming out of her ears, way way over qualified but after she told me what she had been doing before and how she was totally at the mercy of her employer whims working 16 sometimes 24 hrs a day for peanuts. She convinced me all she wanted was a steady job 9 to 5 if poss but willing to accommodate other shift needs (by the way I pay the living wage and overtime after 39 hrs) she started next day and has been with my business some 4 years now and an asset she is. By the way her ex employer The NHS trainee doctor go figure that one.

Come on now, in the west we have the rule of law and there are ways for people who are treated wrongly to right the situation. Thailand is in another universe in comparison. And you know this.

Come on now, in the west we have the rule of law and there are ways for people who are treated wrongly to right the situation. Thailand is in another universe in comparison. And you know this.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I used to work in the west, and was exploited all the time. Started as a farm hand and worked 84 hours a week for a pittance because I was a "trainee".

Later jobs paid better and had a 40 hour or less a week limit, but always exploited, and most of my life spent in public service jobs.

My father trained as an accountant, and his parents had to pay the company to train him, so exploitation is not a new thing in the west.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

No its not but right now its 2016 not 1916.

I cant for the life of me understand how you can question the fact that the situation for workers in Thailand is far worse than for those in Europe, to narrow down the term "west" a bit.

Hahah.

What a load of twaddle.

Sometimes worked 24hrs a day. Complete rubbish. Payed employer to train, babysit. Haaha. Nonsense.

As said, an employer will pay the minimum. It's up to the employee to negotiate. I work for 20k a month as many others do. There are benefits. No immigration. Paid holiday. Free rent. No hassel. It's a deal I'm happy with. But if asked to do extra work from which my employer charges a client I want my cut or I'm not going to do it. Why would I? Goodwill....bollyhocks.