Things to do in Khon Kaen

Kenny202

Moved here a little while ago and explored most of the city, dam etc. Anywhere else or out of town worth checking out? Haven't seen the zoo yet. What about waterfalls, swimming holes....nice places to picnic or anywhere of interest?

Yeah, think we done all the stuff in town now but thanks anyway. Love the morning markets too. Found a really huge wholesale clothes and everything else market coming south into Khonkaen just before Makro on the left. Looks like all the local markets people buy their stock there.

King Cobra village is worth a look (from memory it's about 30k north on highway 2 then off towards Castle Howchow for another 20k. I expected it to be tacky, but found it interesting, more for all the peripheral stuff that goes on in the village, rather than the snake shows themselves. That plus the fact I was interested in seeing all the different types of cobra from an ID-ing of snakes point of view. 5 year old loved holding baby snakes - good to get them liking snakes rather than being terrified and murderous!

Plan on a 2-3 hour visit. Kids love it. Thais love it. Many local falang are no doubt sniffy about it!

Only criticism - eating options were a bit basic Thai (think noodle soup and curry over rice). Family love noodle soup so I was the only one a-bitching!

That tall stupa'd wat overlooking the lake in the south of the meuang, was interesting for its multi-tiered views over KK

On a visit longer than 2 days (one of which taken by friends of family) I would have gone for the dinosaur stuff a bit further out to the left and right of Highway 2.

My family (and I) really enjoyed a 2 day visit to KK. We lucked out and found some decent places to eat, including the best value Thai breakfast food I've ever found on the north edge of that same lake next to a Chinese temple and the Vietnamese place nearby the temple.

We will be back. I recommend it for a long weekend visit or similar

I can be more specific on locations (maps) if requested

Edited by SantiSuk

Yeah, think we done all the stuff in town now but thanks anyway. Love the morning markets too. Found a really huge wholesale clothes and everything else market coming south into Khonkaen just before Makro on the left. Looks like all the local markets people buy their stock there.

You could try Nam Nao N/Park. It's about 130 kms south on the nmb 12 highway. Nice jungle walks to suit all levels. 3kms and up. Museum interesting. A huge collection of home made poachers guns etc. You can stay in a cabin overnight too. Welcome to Khon Kaen.

You could try Nam Nao N/Park. It's about 130 kms south on the nmb 12 highway. Nice jungle walks to suit all levels. 3kms and up. Museum interesting. A huge collection of home made poachers guns etc. You can stay in a cabin overnight too. Welcome to Khon Kaen.

Thanks for the tip on Nam Nao. I need to be in Khon Khen for a few days and wondering about other places in the region - particularly nature, animals and hikes within 3-4 hours drive on Khon Khen...any great nature around Nong khai or Udon thani?

Thanks for the tip on Nam Nao. I need to be in Khon Khen for a few days and wondering about other places in the region - particularly nature, animals and hikes within 3-4 hours drive on Khon Khen...any great nature around Nong khai or Udon thani?

I found getting on push bike and exploring around back streets especially off Highway 2 around tesco lotus was good lots of markets ect and just looking was great. Many small temples around worth a look see

King Cobra village is worth a look (from memory it's about 30k north on highway 2 then off towards Castle Howchow for another 20k. I expected it to be tacky, but found it interesting, more for all the peripheral stuff that goes on in the village, rather than the snake shows themselves. That plus the fact I was interested in seeing all the different types of cobra from an ID-ing of snakes point of view. 5 year old loved holding baby snakes - good to get them liking snakes rather than being terrified and murderous!

Plan on a 2-3 hour visit. Kids love it. Thais love it. Many local falang are no doubt sniffy about it!

Only criticism - eating options were a bit basic Thai (think noodle soup and curry over rice). Family love noodle soup so I was the only one a-bitching!

That tall stupa'd wat overlooking the lake in the south of the meuang, was interesting for its multi-tiered views over KK

On a visit longer than 2 days (one of which taken by friends of family) I would have gone for the dinosaur stuff a bit further out to the left and right of Highway 2.

My family (and I) really enjoyed a 2 day visit to KK. We lucked out and found some decent places to eat, including the best value Thai breakfast food I've ever found on the north edge of that same lake next to a Chinese temple and the Vietnamese place nearby the temple.

We will be back. I recommend it for a long weekend visit or similar

I can be more specific on locations (maps) if requested

"including the best value Thai breakfast food I've ever found on the north edge of that same lake next to a Chinese temple and the Vietnamese place nearby the temple"

Interested in that bit. WHY was it the best value, in what way, what was included? Where? We usually stay in the sofitel on our why to Sakon and love their breakfast (love the hotel actually), but would love to try somewhere different.

]

Jurassic Park in Kalasin province (Sirindhorn Museum and Phu Kum Khao Dinosaur Excavation Site). About 1 1/2 hours drive from Khon Kaen.

Take drive over the causeway too. Also go see the Lam Pao Dam. Some good Thai restaurants around the dam.

y

There's an expat who has done some remarkable work with farming sustainably outside KK. PM me for his name if interested

Go to Nam Nao NP, a 120 km nordeast of Khon Kaen. Nam Nao means cold water. There are several campsites there, and also guesthouses. You drive to Chum Phae, then further west, until comes to junction to Nam Nao, where you have to turn right. Beautiful view over a hilly landscape, specially good in winter time from Dec. to Feb. From Nam Nao you should continue to Bua Lang Pu, nice landscape with rolling hills and small mountains and other NP.

Khon Kaen itself has little to offer, except a stroll around the Bueng Khaen Nakorn, the like in the center, and the adjacent temple, which is well worth a visit.

Edited by AloisAmrein

I stayed there for a few days back in 2013. I enjoyed the zoo. Trams take you around, and you can get off and on as often as you like so you can walk or ride as much as you want. They have a semi covered outdoor food court at the zoo. I thought the food was crap but they have the basics, soup, some types of fried rice, etc. Often you will see large groups of school kids there on field trips. I had some interesting talks with the teachers as I was the only Falang on the tram that day and got kind of adopted by the kids. The less shy ones were willing to talk in their struggling English or my horrible Thai. Hey, it gives them something to talk about when they get back home. It was a fun and simple day seeing kids exploring and learning and having fun. I took a motorbike taxi from town not far from the mall. That was a bit of a ride but pretty scenic. I had to text a friend to tell me how to say "zoo" in Thai. There was a small bus that later I took from the zoo back to town.

Nothing to do there. Move to the seaside. The Islands or somewhere where there are good views. You will soon get sick of Isaan, Nothing for you there.

Some of us actually moved from the islands and seaside to Isaan and much prefer it.

I agree with Postmaster, nothing to do here.

10 years ago it was full of characters, most of whom have, sadly, passed away or moved on.

Most expats here purchased property for their partner, so it would be impractical to move away.

I,for sure, will be going further south, at some stage this year.

Edited by thaiduncankk

You could also try the dinosaur museum just outside Phuwieng, about 90kms from Khon Kaen. If you are into walking then they have trails set up between the various excavation sites.

There is also a newly built temple within a few kms of the museum which is worth a look for the view.

The market is called Pratunam and there are two shops in there that stock clothes that fit westerners (i.e. large people) biggrin.png .

We just visited Khon Kaen and the dinosaur museum and the hiking at the nearby park were nice (Phuwieng).

It made for a bit of a walk, the idea being seeing dinosaur fossils arranged as they were found, maybe 2 kilometers of hiking with some elevation change, and nice overlooks of the surrounding areas. At the last fossil station they have a guard and can arrange a 4WD truck shuttle back to the starting point, which would be helpful if kids or older people were doing the walking.

The zoo was ok for kids, the normal version of an "open zoo," the kind of place you need to take a tram or golf cart to get around due to the size, and the moderate size water park there our kids really liked.

A real nice spot for a relaxing lunch, little bit south of KK near Chonnabot, Kaeng Lawa - Huge lake/marshland area. At the Chicago island resort at the north end of the lake great restaurant with a fantastic view, nice!

Bumpy bugger of a road around the west side of the lake though!