Where can I buy a camping gas stove in or around Phuket?

comingtophuket

Hi there,

this is my first post. I hope I choosed the right place.

I am coming to Thailand in two weeks and have heard that it makes no sense to bring a german camping gas stove (you know what I mean? The little ones you put in your backpack, most of them are blue), because even with an adapter the gas bottles do not fit. Is this true?

Because buying a fuel stove in Germany is quite expensive - around 150 Euros - I would like to buy a camping gas stove or a fuel gas stove at phuket or along road nr. 4, because I will start my trip in the area of Satun. Also around Khao Lak is possible, because I am going to Khao Sok.

So does anybody of you know a place in Phuket or along road nr. 4 to buy this kind of stove and gas bottles/fuel? It will be my first day driving a car left-side, so I am extra-happy, if its not Phuket Town at the beginning. But if so - I would be very happy to hear any possibility though!

Thanks a lot and a happy (european) new year,

Sina

Why would you want to bring or buy a camping stove in Thailand? You can buy cheap, good food in small restaurants and road side stalls everywhere.

There are few camping areas in Thailand, outside of the national parks, because guest houses and small hotels are very cheap and plentiful. Finding a private place to camp roadside is not easy nor necessarily safe. Much better to spurge 15 or so Euros on a beachside bungalow then eat and drink at a nearby bar restaurant for just a few more.

I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen a camping store here. If you really want to cart around cooking equipment and cater for yourself in a land where it's so cheap to let others do it for you, you may be able to find what you require in hardware or big department stores.

Good luck.

Is there still the barbecue shop in Homeworks?

They may have something similar, I won one in a xmas raffle in Patong a very long time ago but no idea were it was brought from sorry.

Edited by beechbum

Thanks at all for the quick and helpful responses!!

Yeah, I have heard about Tesco selling these, but as I heard just the bottles and they should not fit to european stoves (as other travellers said in other forums or blogs). Thats why I wrote several mails to Tesco and their answer was like "We think you may be finding something at Teso Superstore" - I didnt want to rely on that.

For me a stove is a good solution because I'm multi-allergic and seriously vegetarian, so the whole sea food and garlic is for sure very healthy, but for me it doesnt fit. Also I will go to some places where no restaurants are.

So thanks again for all of you and just to let you know: An hour ago we had the first snow in northern Germany. So enjoy Thailand...

Best

Sina

Why would you want to bring or buy a camping stove in Thailand? You can buy cheap, good food in small restaurants and road side stalls everywhere.

There are few camping areas in Thailand, outside of the national parks, because guest houses and small hotels are very cheap and plentiful. Finding a private place to camp roadside is not easy nor necessarily safe. Much better to spurge 15 or so Euros on a beachside bungalow then eat and drink at a nearby bar restaurant for just a few more.

I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen a camping store here. If you really want to cart around cooking equipment and cater for yourself in a land where it's so cheap to let others do it for you, you may be able to find what you require in hardware or big department stores.

Good luck.

Okay; ALL your problems solved, thanks to 1 Dutchman:

1. Driving on the Left-hand side of the road: - This is a LOT less complicated and/or difficult as you may be anticipating. Don't overlook the fact that the car you'll be driving is set-up for left-hand driving; just remember ONE thing, whilst driving along: keep the Center-Line of the road always on YOUR RIGHT ! ! ! The only time you have to focus & concentrate is when you come to a traffic-circle; just slow-down and remember to keep the center of that circle also on your RIGHT ! - Besides that; do NOT be too nervous, because you'll have the hang of it in NO time, okay ?

2. Camping-Stove: In Thailand, you are fortunate to be able to purchase a small camping-stove (a little big bigger than a Notebook Computer and 3 times thicker, at Lotus Super Stores. Look for the department where they sell Tools & stuff (you can't miss it) and you will see them for sale there. They are a single-burner unit, with an opening lid for the Gas-Bottle (which is not really a bottle, but rather more like the size and appearance of a Spray-Paint-Can, filled with Gas. These units cost around Bt. 600.- (Euro 15.-) and then you purchase a couple of extra Gas-Cans at the same time. These little stoves work very well and I use one on my sailboat all the time. When NOT in use; there's a Safety Mechanism (slide); never forget to activate this, when not actually cooking something.

Wish you a pleasant stay in the Kingdom !

Cheers,

Jaap

coffee1.gif

The gas stove mentioned above is somewhat bulky for backpacking. They are available at all of the big discount stores (Tesco Lotus, BigC, etc), and usually come with a plastic carrying case (1st photo). Size is around 35x25x10. The butane fuel bottles cost about 35 baht each.

I think what you might really be looking for is a backpacker's stove, which is just a burner and grate that attaches to the top of a compact gas bottle (2nd photo). Much smaller and lighter than the one above. As others have mentioned, you might be able to find this at a specialty store like SportsWorld.

post-36786-0-54324300-1451786970_thumb.j

post-36786-0-40779900-1451786979_thumb.j