Good Mexican Food

grtaylor

I was lucky enough to meet the waitresses on their first day at work - and as it was quiet I hung around for about six hours chatting with one of them :o

Tried the apple pie for the first time - and it was just the way I like it. Apple pie is one of those things you can find everywhere but it never seems to suit you? It did here - I almost bought a whole pie to take away :D

Also tried the taco salad - plenty good but probably needed more salsa, and I normally like the tortilla bowl freshly-fried but it was still pretty good. Decided that this will probably be my regular dish from now on.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hung around for about six hours chatting with one of them :D

Six hours?!?!?!?!?! You must really have a lot of free time...

Well, the other reason is because I was able to pick up True wireless access, and since 95% of my work is Internet-based, realistically I can work from almost anywhere.

So why not choose a location with a view? :o

OK... so... I'm sitting here thinking -- after a particularly atrocious Cinco de Mayo night visit -- why I am becoming less and less satisfied with the Soi 12 Sunrise Tacos locale, and the answer finally becomes crystal clear.

In the past, when they just had the counter on one side of the complex, there was NO service for all intents and purposes. There was ONLY the food, which by BKK standards of Mexican was and is still pretty good. But then, in the past few months, with I'm sure the best intentions in mind, Sunrise opened it's sit-down restaurant across the parking lot, complete with more tables, and waiters/waitresses and such...

And that, unfortunately, is where they seem to be increasingly heading toward losing me...someone who's had pretty much only good things to say about Sunrise in the past.

At Greg's invitation here on TV, I went tonight with two Thai friends to enjoy their Cinco de Mayo celebration, and partake of the special 200 baht margaritas... While the food was pretty good as usual, almost everything else about the restaurant experience there tonight was lacking or weak -- and very disappointing.

We arrived about 10 pm, and there were only a couple of other occupied tables at that hour, so not particularly busy. But start with the waitress taking quite a long while to come to the table. Then after ordering a trio of "by the yard" margaritas to start, we get one strawberry variety that has the consistency of tap water...no ice or freeze at all, and another margarita in a tall souvenir glass that has its rim bent and deformed (which they later replaced with a proper glass at our request). After complaining about the lukewarm strawberry serving, the waitress takes it back and asks if we wait to wait 10 minutes for a colder one... we ponder that question...and I wonder why the restaurant staff would even consider serving a margarita in that terrible fashion...

Meanwhile, we order four dishes for dinner, including with a specific instruction/request (which was understood and acknowledged) that we want the nachos served first as an appetizer. Five or 10 minutes later, sure enough, one of our dinners arrives, and then the second dinner after that... No nachos... Then finally the nachos arrive... But...then... no third dinner... And, another 5-10 minutes passes before the final dinner (a fish burrito) finally reaches the table. OK...so... so much for the wait staff heeding our requests....

When we get our tall "by the yard" margaritas, after some time, my Thai companions are a bit overwhelmed by the height of the tall service pitchers...so they ask for regular-size margarita glasses. One of the service staff takes the request and then disappears.... 5-10 minutes later....still no glasses arrive. So, we have to ask again of another staff, and then finally the glasses arrive a bit later...

Then, after we've been there and eating for better than an hour, and near the end of our meal, my companion who originally wanted the strawberry margarita is still thinking about the one she missed, so we decide to try placing that order again...now long after our original attempt. A few minutes later, the "by the yard" strawberry arrives, barely colder than its watery predecessor more than an hour before...and still lacking in any freeze.

I know Greg has written before about having new staff in the Soi 12 location. I hadn't seen the couple of waitresses working tonight before. But based on their performance, it's hard for me to imagine that either of them have any clue about how to do restaurant service, no matter how personable they may be... And in terms of waiter/waitress service, that seems to be pretty much the norm at the Soi 12 location since it opened its "restaurant" location.

Don't know what's going on at the other Sunrise locations at present. But for me, it's a particularly bad sign when a "Mexican" restaurant that's advertising a margaritas special for Cinco de Mayo can't turn out a decent serving on two different tries, and the staff in general seem to be clueless as to their broader lackings....

It all makes me long for the good old days where there just was the counter..and good food.

Went to Sunrise Tacos yesterday for Cinco de Mayo.

My table had:

2 x margaritas @ 199 ea

a "Tijuana" @ 199

apple pie @ 69

ice cream @ 59

corn bread @ either 59 or 69, let's say 69 as the worst case scenario

Total by my calculations: 794

+ tax: 55.58

Total: B 849.58

Only this morning did I realize that our bill was B 1006.25. Check your bills at Sunrise, folks.

OK... so... I'm sitting here thinking -- after a particularly atrocious Cinco de Mayo night visit -- why I am becoming less and less satisfied with the Soi 12 Sunrise Tacos locale, and the answer finally becomes crystal clear.

It all makes me long for the good old days where there just was the counter..and good food.

Shortly after I arrived in Bangkok a few years back, a Thai friend took me to dinner at the Brew Pavilion. I thoroughly enjoyed the place due to the great service, very good entertainment and high quality of food plust the 400+ item menu. What made it esp. remarkable was the seating capacity of almost 2,500 and still great service.

I remarked on these good points and she said that I should take advantage of the good points while the restaurant was still relatively new. She said that nearly every Thai restaurant that starts out great will eventually become mediocre at best after a period of time and will disappoint you. She said two years was the longest time for a "restaurant honeymoon" to last that she had experienced. Sadly, the Brew Pavilion did eventually hit the decline and is now history as new condos are being built on that site.

So far, the predicted decline has happened in 95%+ of the places I have experienced. Unfortunately, many places don't make it to the two year milestone. I used to be a steady customer at Sunrise but haven't been there in months due to various problems the last few times I ate there.

I can honestly say i love the food at sunrise. That is the only good thing i can say about them. When they first opened up problems with the staff is to be expected. Sadly it seems the staff seems to get worse, i dont know if they just have a high turn over, or just hire IDIOTS. I personally will not being going back there. The last straw was a few days ago in the evening at soi 12 location. I dont know if its just me, but every time i go its a new person at counter, and they honestly get worse each time. Ordered at 7:52 food got food at 8:40. Wasnt big order 3 tostatada and 1 burrito................ The running back and forth, the forgetting stuff, it was so bad had one of the staff apologize for the cashier incompetence.

Would strongly suggest to rethink your hiring process, and throw in some training.

Shortly after I arrived in Bangkok a few years back, a Thai friend took me to dinner at the Brew Pavilion. I thoroughly enjoyed the place due to the great service, very good entertainment and high quality of food plust the 400+ item menu. What made it esp. remarkable was the seating capacity of almost 2,500 and still great service.

I remarked on these good points and she said that I should take advantage of the good points while the restaurant was still relatively new. She said that nearly every Thai restaurant that starts out great will eventually become mediocre at best after a period of time and will disappoint you. She said two years was the longest time for a "restaurant honeymoon" to last that she had experienced. Sadly, the Brew Pavilion did eventually hit the decline and is now history as new condos are being built on that site.

So far, the predicted decline has happened in 95%+ of the places I have experienced. Unfortunately, many places don't make it to the two year milestone. I used to be a steady customer at Sunrise but haven't been there in months due to various problems the last few times I ate there.

I have a friend who works in Bangkok who is from California. He says the ONLY thing he misses here is good Mexican food. So, I said I'd put a message here, asking about Mexican Restaurants.

Which is the best?

Thanks,

G

Hi

I enjoy mexican food alot as well!!, i have tried more or less every mexican food outlet in Bangkok, Phuket and koh Samui.

My result findings where that a place called El darado in Lamai Koh Samui did the best Mexican food!...

tx

Thanks for the update on Cinco de Mayo promotions.. Those are nice...I'll be sure to swing by....for a big mango margarita to celebrate....

It's also nice to hear about the wait staff.... Some of the past ones seemed... a bit... disinterested at times...

But.. just for the record.... while some feminine eye candy is always nice.... the main thing... as I know you know... is the FOOD and DRINK!!!! Just keep on that...and everything will be good....

When I mentioned about the Coyote ladies in a prior post...I think... it was just responding to what another poster had previously said... Some Mexican food place could have poor/bad food...and the HOTTEST ladies in BKK...and it wouldn't get me in the door... (well... almost!!!!) hhehehehehehe...... :o:D:D

Those four pretties have left last weekend along with some of the old staff, because of fighting over the attention of a guy and all involved felt they lost face and had to leave. I felt then like I was back in High School. Just immature children.

So I was left going into Cinco de Mayo with six less waiters, two cashiers and a number of newbie’s. UGH

know Greg has written before about having new staff in the Soi 12 location. I hadn't seen the couple of waitresses working tonight before. But based on their performance, it's hard for me to imagine that either of them have any clue about how to do restaurant service, no matter how personable they may be... And in terms of waiter/waitress service, that seems to be pretty much the norm at the Soi 12 location since it opened its "restaurant" location.

Don't know what's going on at the other Sunrise locations at present. But for me, it's a particularly bad sign when a "Mexican" restaurant that's advertising a margaritas special for Cinco de Mayo can't turn out a decent serving on two different tries, and the staff in general seem to be clueless as to their broader lackings....

Well I did have new staff even newer than those that I wrote about. Plus bad luck on your part as 10 p.m. till 11 p.m. could not have been worse timing on my end. 10 p.m. is when the staff has a shift change. So the limited “experience” staff left then to catch the bus. They already had worked 12 hours and were exhausted after serving a packed restaurant all day so it was not right to ask them to work even longer. I was left with some real newbie’s at that time. Also bad luck I was told that their was a fire at Soi 4 so had to leave myself to make sure the staff at another restaurant were ok there so I was not around. As they say, it rains it pours.

I do understand why the margaritas were not frozen then at 10 p.m. We had sold many yards that night and the two machines with three dispensers holding 7 gallons eachm takes an hour to refreeze the juice for every time the cycle is sold out. The place was absolutely packed with yard glasses being bought before 10 p.m. No wonder why, I actually lost 23 baht on every margarita yard we sold for Cinco de Mayo but it was a nice thing to do for the party atmosphere. We sell lots of margaritas but on average its one person ordering 12 ounces for 99 baht not the whole restaurant ordering a yard. Now if I was there, I would have put it in the blender to freeze it. Common sense stuff but with new staff just forget about it.

I know you have a bad taste about the service other night. But I hope to see you again.

We still do have the counter for the good old days. Just more like self service. You are in and out fast.

You also have the option at Emporium where they use Emporium waiters to expedite the food or you could go to Siam Paragon where I was just told yesterday by Siam Paragon management that “no one comes close to our standard of service at Sunrise.” That "they tell other restaurants managers to watch our waiters, they are that good." Now I really don't know if smoke was being blown up my butt or if it’s true. I have heard positive feedback from other customers but will be checking it out more myself. So if it’s true why do we have it so right at Siam Paragon and so wrong at Soi 12 location?

1. Experience. The waiters have been working together for a couple months. Not one of our waiters at Soi 12 has worked more than a month in the morning or afternoon shift.

2. The menu is much simpler and has many more set menus. Siam Paragon does not have build your own options except for two items. You know how hard it is just to get one order right at many restaurants in Thailand when you order #1 and you get #11? At Soi 12 we have 10 different options for each item, it’s a time bomb.

3. Passion. The manager there has a big passion to win. She demands the best service.

4. Common sense. I agree some of the staff does not have a clue even after being trained at Soi 12. Some do and some don't. It simply takes time to get them switched on.

So how do I change Soi 12?

A. Get a better trainer for the waiters. Don't think it's the pay as I’m now at 8- 10K. per month. (Plus they get tips of around 3K+ per month)

B. Have a line at the counter and nixed the waiters. The food is made in front of you like Chipotle. On fajitas or nachos it’s expedited to your table.

C. Change the menu to less "Build your own” options.

I'm leaning more to option B. Even then with this concept, it can have problems with service; I went to this taco place last month in Atlanta. Great food but check out the comments on the service. They have waiting lines out the door.

http://atlanta.citysearch.com/review/11340776 I was expecting rude service from the cashier so my expectations on service were very low. It turned out ok the cashier was rude but as I said, I was expecting it to happen but my expectations on the food was certainly met. Still because of the cashier I would not be going there as my first choice.

can honestly say i love the food at sunrise. That is the only good thing i can say about them. When they first opened up problems with the staff is to be expected. Sadly it seems the staff seems to get worse, i dont know if they just have a high turn over, or just hire IDIOTS. I personally will not being going back there. The last straw was a few days ago in the evening at soi 12 location. I dont know if its just me, but every time i go its a new person at counter, and they honestly get worse each time. Ordered at 7:52 food got food at 8:40. Wasnt big order 3 tostatada and 1 burrito................ The running back and forth, the forgetting stuff, it was so bad had one of the staff apologize for the cashier incompetence.

Would strongly suggest to rethink your hiring process, and throw in some training.

I’m very sorry this happen to you.

I know what day this was... The cashier quit as well so I was left in a lurch. That was why the running back and forth. I'm sending you a p.m. for letting me know.

My table had:

2 x margaritas @ 199 ea

a "Tijuana" @ 199

apple pie @ 69

ice cream @ 59

Only this morning did I realize that our bill was B 1006.25. Check your bills at Sunrise, folks.

I surmise as you know the exact amt you have the receipt. Was their any extras like guacamole? Sending you a private message. Fortunately this is a first I have head about something like this but want to look into this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is why I have not done any franchising yet. I’m still tweaking the system. You guys have ideas; I’m open minded because even after owning 19 restaurants, I don’t have all the answers.

On a positive note, a magazine ranked seven different Mexican restaurants this week in Bangkok and said about Sunrise " Excellent food combined with fair prices, make for the best deal in town... top it off with the best guacamole this side of the Pacific"

Regards

Greg

www.sunrisetacos.com

Greg, thanks for your posting answer to all of us, and for your private messages as well...

It's refreshing to have a businessman own up to their operation's failings, and be likewise open about trying to make things better. I agree that you do need to try to make things better, particularly at the Soi 12 location. (It also reminds me why I'm not anxious to have my own business, for fear of having to deal with such stupidity as you recount above).

I certainly understand unusual circumstances can arise. But it's more than a bit amusing to hear, after the fact, that my Cinco de Mayo dinner was sabotaged in large part by a love spat among love-lorn university girls who then hit the road. So much for trying to match Coyote on that score... :o Really, of course, I'd wish you didn't... and instead just find competent, service-oriented dependable staff... (maybe easier said that done).

I worked in restaurants while working my way thru university (back in the States years ago), and it seems to me some things are just common sense. You don't give customers a bad or not properly prepared dish/drink. You don't serve customers food in bad/broken plates or glasses. You don't serve a group of people having dinner at a table by bringing one dish first, then another 5 minutes later, then another 5 minutes later after that. Maybe the individual Thai staff don't understand those things, but is there a manager on-site who's watching out for those kinds of things, and correcting staff as needed???...

I do have a question about the newer set-up at Soi 12, regarding your comments. The last time I went into the old original location, they didn't want to serve me and told me to go across the street to the "restaurant" location. That day, they told me the old counter is now only for delivery. Is that correct, or, is it possible to still walk in there and get food to go or to sit at the old counter???? You seemed to say there is some quick in/out option still, but not clear how to do that...

About your options for the future, my suggestions are:

1. I hope you keep the "build your own options" at the Soi 12 location. It's really nice to be able to order and get the food in a way that fits one's own personal tastes. I hope you don't relegate it to only choosing from A, B, C or D sets... But..I do understand that makes it more of a challenge for the wait staff.

2. I do think some kind of counter service model there might work, instead of or in addition to the regular restaurant service. I actually popped by your Siam Paragon location for the first time the other day....after my bad experience...and happened to try the MOS burgers outlet there for the first time. It was a BAD hamburger for my taste... But their service model was nice.... order at the counter, and get a # stand that you take to your table. Then, the waitress/waiter then brings your drink first and later food once it's prepared. If you want more food/drink, you just go back to the counter and repeat that process. It worked really well for them, and they just had kids working/serving...

I do think it would be nice/better if you can keep the real "restaurant" model and service going at Soi 12. In theory, that's something that would be nice/pleasant for the customers. But, if you cannot seem to get consistent and reliable performance from your wait staff over an extended period of time, then I think you're damaging your business reputation and customer loyalty/base by continuing on in a poor service model.

As I've always said... the food is good. It's the other things that cause problems.

Those four pretties have left last weekend along with some of the old staff, because of fighting over the attention of a guy and all involved felt they lost face and had to leave. I felt then like I was back in High School. Just immature children. So I was left going into Cinco de Mayo with six less waiters, two cashiers and a number of newbie's. UGH

Well I did have new staff even newer than those that I wrote about. Plus bad luck on your part as 10 p.m. till 11 p.m. could not have been worse timing on my end. 10 p.m. is when the staff has a shift change. So the limited "experience" staff left then to catch the bus. They already had worked 12 hours and were exhausted after serving a packed restaurant all day so it was not right to ask them to work even longer. I was left with some real newbie's at that time. Also bad luck I was told that their was a fire at Soi 4 so had to leave myself to make sure the staff at another restaurant were ok there so I was not around. As they say, it rains it pours.

I know you have a bad taste about the service other night. But I hope to see you again.

We still do have the counter for the good old days. Just more like self service. You are in and out fast.

A. Get a better trainer for the waiters. Don't think it's the pay as I'm now at 8- 10K. per month. (Plus they get tips of around 3K+ per month)

B. Have a line at the counter and nixed the waiters. The food is made in front of you like Chipotle. On fajitas or nachos it's expedited to your table.

C. Change the menu to less "Build your own" options.

I'm leaning more to option B. Even then with this concept, it can have problems with service; I went to this taco place last month in Atlanta. Great food but check out the comments on the service. They have waiting lines out the door.

It's refreshing to have a businessman own up to their operation's failings, and be likewise open about trying to make things better. I agree that you do need to try to make things better, particularly at the Soi 12 location. (It also reminds me why I'm not anxious to have my own business, for fear of having to deal with such stupidity as you recount above).

I must admit challenges are what motivate me. I have a test on my hand with regards to service. I however feel bad when someone spends their hard earned money and don't get 100% enjoyment. Service is important. A number of restaurants get the food right or the service right but not many get both right. I wish sometimes that we were like Leelawadee restaurant http://www.leelawadeerestaurant.com/home_en.html where we have 200 staff. 99% of them don't speak English and the service is fine. To be frank, its quite easy to get staff there. But that service model of no English won't work at Sunrise. The other restaurants that I'm involved with are all QSR and service is not important like a sit down restaurant. As long as they are pleasant that is all that matters.

When I talk to other business owners, they always say the biggest challenge in Thailand is staff. They are what can make or break you. One of the reasons I've been successful is my wife is excellent at human resources. She is the glue that keeps it all together. The last few months, she has been busy working outside Thailand on other projects and boy do I miss her skills in all my companies. I really appreciate her even more on dealing with Thais now.

I certainly understand unusual circumstances can arise. But it's more than a bit amusing to hear, after the fact, that my Cinco de Mayo dinner was sabotaged in large part by a love spat among love-lorn university girls who then hit the road. So much for trying to match Coyote on that score... :o Really, of course, I'd wish you didn't... and instead just find competent, service-oriented dependable staff... (Maybe easier said that done).

Wasn't searching for the pretty girls, they came to us. But all I really care about is passion to give the best to the customer.

I do have a question about the newer set-up at Soi 12, regarding your comments. The last time I went into the old original location, they didn't want to serve me and told me to go across the street to the "restaurant" location. That day, they told me the old counter is now only for delivery. Is that correct, or, is it possible to still walk in there and get food to go or to sit at the old counter???? You seemed to say there is some quick in/out option still, but not clear how to do that...

Sorry for the misunderstanding. If it’s a group of two or three they should only suggest that they can eat on the other side but we've had groups of 6 or so still eat at the original location for old time sake. It's perfect for singles. Maybe 40-50 singles are served a day at the counter. They just walk up to the counter and fill out the form for "Build your own" give it to the food maker. You pay then or after you eat. It’s also possible to get take out there which a number of people do.

www.sunrisetacos.com

My table had:

2 x margaritas @ 199 ea

a "Tijuana" @ 199

apple pie @ 69

ice cream @ 59

I would love to have been able to edit this post. Greg contacted me by PM and we went through my bill. It seems I was wrong. Certain extras like Guacamole @ 74 Baht, and (Cheese and Sour Cream) @ 31 Baht didn't factor into my own mental calculations.

Professional approach to customer complaints, Greg, I intend to come back. I really liked the food, didn't have any problem with the service, it was only the morning after that I started to feel disenfranchised. Perhaps that's the Margarita's fault. :o

I have been following the Sunrise Taco story from when Greg first asked for suggestions here on Thai Visa and have always wanted to try the food, but I avoid Bangkok whenever possible. Today I had to go to Bangkok (to the department of motor vehicles near Chatujak), so on the way back to Pattaya, I took the sky train back to Emporium to finally try Sunrise (and then took the Ekamai bus back).

I'm extremely sorry to say the food was very disappointing. I prefer soft corn tortilla tacos, and had one carnitas and two barbacoa beef tacos. The first taco I tried was ok, nothing to write home about, but the taste was just ok. However, it was hard to eat as the tortilla was disintegrating as I ate it. The texture of the tortilla was different from any other tortilla I have ever eaten, either in Mexico or California, my home state where I have eaten at many an authentic taco place.

Now, if it's not authentic, that's ok if it tastes good. However, it did not. It had a very bad texture, very grainy, very dry.

By the time I tried to pick up the second taco, it was game over for the tortillas. They just totally disintegrated, crumbling as I tried to pick them up. It turned out my first taco was the carnitas, because I clearly saw the beef in the second taco as it crumbled. Eating then changed from a taco eating exercise to a mess of food eating exercise. The beef was chewy and rather dry, again nothing like any mexican food I've ever eaten. It was like beef stew that had been put in a strainer. Together with the grainy tortilla it was tough going mitigated only slightly by the wet additions (salsa, cheese, lettuce?).

As it was the first thing I had eaten all day (it was about 3 pm when I got there), I ate most of it, but I actually looked longingly at Burger King as I passed by, not because I was hungry, but because my desire for something tasty hadn't been fulfilled.

Perhaps my experience is a one-off--it *is* the first time I have eaten there. However, those corn tortillas were very bad and I cannot see how they could be rescued. The corn tortillas I buy at Foodland are a hundred times better. If the tortillas I had today are your normal fare, I think you should think seriously about changing the way you make them, or consider buying them from someone else.

I want Sunrise to be good and for it to come to Pattaya. I hope what I had today was just a fluke.

Those four pretties have left last weekend along with some of the old staff, because of fighting over the attention of a guy and all involved felt they lost face and had to leave. I felt then like I was back in High School. Just immature children.

Sorry about that... couldn't help myself :o

Just kidding. I haven't been back since and it's too bad it came to this because one girl seemed particularly interested in learning... from what I've heard it is really difficult to keep good staff in the food business. But we did talk about the fact that if one went, they'd all go... sad to see that prediction came true all too soon!

As it was the first thing I had eaten all day (it was about 3 pm when I got there), I ate most of it, but I actually looked longingly at Burger King as I passed by, not because I was hungry, but because my desire for something tasty hadn't been fulfilled.

LOL... happens to me all the time since I go to the Emporium nearly every day.

I'm not a soft tortilla person, so I can't say much about that - but I did notice and have remarked to Greg that the Soi 12 location is much better quality than the Emporium location. In fact, I have stopped going into the Food Hall at Emporium altogether, it's probably been 2 months since I've been there. Have yet to try the Paragon location but it looks really clean and well run... if only I could stay away from Mos Burger :D

I actually popped by your Siam Paragon location for the first time the other day....after my bad experience...and happened to try the MOS burgers outlet there for the first time.

MOS has an excellent model - but what they call burgers is not what most of us know as burgers. I happen to like them but I don't go there because I have a craving for a real burger!

I want Sunrise to be good and for it to come to Pattaya. I hope what I had today was just a fluke.

Me too, from my place in Bangkok, it's a drive to the MRT park and ride, an MRT ride, + sweaty walk to get there. At Royal Garden or at the new Major Avenue place would be perfect, 5-10 minutes from home there.

:o

Edited by Heng

I've had the same problem at Soi 12...with the SOFT corn torillas they're using...

I didn't have a problem with the meat or the taste of the soft corn tortilla...both were fine!!!

But when I ordered a trio of tacos with all the fixings... lettuce, salsa, sour cream, etc... the moisture inside very quickly caused the soft corn to just disintegrate...

Tried to pick them up in my hands..and everything just fell apart...

Actually...that day...I really wanted the tacos in flour torillas...but didn't communicate well...and got soft corn by mistake... That was some time ago...but sounds like..that problem persists...

I've had the same problem at Soi 12...with the SOFT corn torillas they're using...

I didn't have a problem with the meat or the taste of the soft corn tortilla...both were fine!!!

But when I ordered a trio of tacos with all the fixings... lettuce, salsa, sour cream, etc... the moisture inside very quickly caused the soft corn to just disintegrate...

Tried to pick them up in my hands..and everything just fell apart...

Actually...that day...I really wanted the tacos in flour torillas...but didn't communicate well...and got soft corn by mistake... That was some time ago...but sounds like..that problem persists...

An authentic Mexican taco would not be topped with lettuce, salsa and sour cream. Maybe some diced onion and cilantro, that's it. So just meat, onion and cilantro on a corn tortilla. Think about that when you order. You can put all the California ingredients into a fried corn tortilla taco, or into a soft flour tortilla burrito. That is not authentic Mexican food.

An authentic Mexican taco would not be topped with lettuce, salsa and sour cream. Maybe some diced onion and cilantro, that's it. So just meat, onion and cilantro on a corn tortilla. Think about that when you order. You can put all the California ingredients into a fried corn tortilla taco, or into a soft flour tortilla burrito. That is not authentic Mexican food.

Actually, while you are generally right, there are places in Mexico where other things are added to tacos. I remember a taco truck in La Paz, (Baja California), that served deep fried fish tacos (as well as shrimp). You would be given a couple pieces of fish on two warmed corn tortillas, and around the outside of the truck was a shelf with many kinds of salsa, guacamole and pickled vegetables which you would add to the taco. That's just one example. Mexico is a big place and there are lots of different regional variations on tacos.

Edited by Jimmyd

Actually, while you are generally right, there are places in Mexico where other things are added to tacos. I remember a taco truck in La Paz, (Baja California), that served deep fried fish tacos (as well as shrimp). You would be given a couple pieces of fish on two warmed corn tortillas, and around the outside of the truck was a shelf with many kinds of salsa, guacamole and pickled vegetables which you would add to the taco. That's just one example. Mexico is a big place and there are lots of different regional variations on tacos.

I agree as fish tacos and mariscos are a whole different ballgame.

You can put all the California ingredients into a fried corn tortilla taco, or into a soft flour tortilla burrito. That is not authentic Mexican food.

It is authentic California style Mexican food which is what I prefer! :o

You can put all the California ingredients into a fried corn tortilla taco, or into a soft flour tortilla burrito. That is not authentic Mexican food.

It is authentic California style Mexican food which is what I prefer! :D

Then go to Chevy's, La Salsa or Baja Fresh. :o

You might want to wait for Taco Bell Grande to open in BKK. They have about a dozen restaurants in Beijing and Shanghai. It is part of the Yum Group (KFC and Pizza Hut). The restaurants are more like TGIF's and Chili's, then the U.S. Taco Bell. Taco Bell Grande makes very gringoized Mexican dishes, using more fresh ingredients (avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.) and less heavy spices.

Is it real, or is it Tex-Mex? Mexico wants the world to know what food is authentic. By OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MEXICO CITY -- Worried by the global proliferation of deep fat-fried chimichangas, fajitas, margaritas and fried ice cream, the Mexican government is recruiting U.S. and Canadian restaurateurs to set the world straight on what is real Mexican food.

So proud is Mexico of its cuisine that the government has lobbied UNESCO to declare Mexican food a "cultural patrimony of humanity." The government also recently flew in 50 Mexican restaurant owners from the U.S. and Canada to teach them what's authentic and what's not. "Mexican food gives prestige to the country, promotes its image," says Carlos Gonzalez, executive director of the government's Institute for Mexicans Living Abroad, which organized the forum for the chefs and restaurateurs. "What we want is for these restaurants to promote Mexican culture through their food."

Officials, however, have their work cut out for them. Mexican food often is misunderstood. For example, the California-based Chevys restaurant chain, which has locations in 15 U.S. states, offers "Classic Fresh Mex Combos" such as chimichangas -- beef or chicken deep-fried in flour tortillas. The El Torito chain, also based in California, offers deep-fried ice cream on its "autentico" menu.

On a larger scale, Taco Bell's vision of Mexico is something entirely alien south of the border. When the fast-food chain tried to establish a presence in Mexico City in the 1990s, consumers were so perplexed by the "burritos" that a leading newspaper helpfully included a definition.

"A lot of so-called Mexican restaurants just decorate their walls with bright sombreros and hire a mariachi and think that makes them authentic," says Rosa Maria Barajas, owner of Rosa's Plane Food at the airport in Calexico, Calif. She has banned cheddar cheese from her restaurant.

"I only use authentic Mexican cheeses like Cotija or fresh, white cheese, but none of those weird cheeses," she says, adding that she strives to serve traditional Mexican food made with fresh ingredients, including homemade flour and corn tortillas and beans and rice made from scratch.

Barajas was among the 50 restaurant owners the government flew to Mexico City to hear culinary historians lecture on the importance of the nation's food and sample traditional dishes such as grasshoppers and prickly pear jam, all from Oaxaca state in southern Mexico.

Traditional Mexican cuisine dates back 3,000 years to the Mayans, who based their diet on corn, beans and vegetables. Most Americans confuse Tex-Mex specialties such as chili, chimichangas, nachos and hard-shell tacos, often laden in processed cheese and sour cream, with real Mexican food. The same goes for Cal-Mex fusions, such as the burrito, which combines fresh vegetables, fish and even fruit-based salsas with rice and beans in a flour tortilla.

Few Mexicans have ever even seen or heard of such foods.

"Without a doubt, these foods have helped people in the U.S. and around the world pay attention to Mexico," says Fernando Olea, president of the United States Association of Mexican Restaurants Association and owner of Bert's La Taqueria and Pachanga Cantina and Restaurant, a traditional Mexican restaurant in New Mexico. "But what we want to promote is Mex-Mex food."

The problem for Mexican restaurateurs is that the American fusions have become too popular to avoid all together.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Then go to Chevy's, La Salsa or Baja Fresh. :D

Build it and I will come! :D

By the way, Taco Bell is not Mexican food in any regard although I don't mind it every once in a while. It is a somewhat unique fast food with a slight Mexican influence. :o

Then go to Chevy's, La Salsa or Baja Fresh. :D

Build it and I will come! :D

By the way, Taco Bell is not Mexican food in any regard although I don't mind it every once in a while. It is a somewhat unique fast food with a slight Mexican influence. :o

Coming from L.A., I think I know that and I'm not sure there's any Mexican influence (if you read the attached link I posted). Taco Bell Grande serves the kind of Cal-Mex you would find on the menu at a Chili's or TGIF's and not the Taco Bell fast food joints in the U.S. The Taco Bell Grandes in Asia are sit-down restaurants with table service and an extensive and more diverse menu compared with the Taco Bells in the U.S. Remember that Yum Brands is the owner of the KFC and Pizza Hut brands, although I believe the Asian franchise owner is the same owner as Central World.

• 1 month later...

I dont usually post here I just read, but what happened to me at Sunrise Tacos yesterday is downright appaulling.

When my food was being brought to me, it fell on the ground , the server then picked it up and brought it to me.

When I tried to say I didnt want it,it was practically thrown at me.

Really nice first experience, you can rest assured that I will never step foot inside this place again, I imagine a check by the health department is in order also, as I counted 3 rats running across the parking lot within 15 minutes.

Maybe theyre enjoying the taco trail across the parking lot.

Edited by BMoniker

Last month I found a cockroach's leg in my burritto, I was just about to take the next bite, when I saw something dark brown with little hairs sticking out the end, with what appeared to be a knee joint.

I was more worried about what happened to the rest of him.

From what I understand that entire area has a severe problem with rat infestation, Greg what are you doing to combat this problem?

With your high turnover of employees, I bet its next to impossible to get your employees to practice proper handling of food.

<br />You joined TV just to post that, did you?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thats dam_n right.

I could go make 50 post first then come back if you like, that would take me about 10 minutes, and make me legit at the same time huh?

It seems very odd to me that supposedly two different people...on the same day....would both make their first ever posts on Thai Visa making different but derogatory comments about a local business....

I've had sometimes good and sometimes bad things to say publicly here on TV about Sunrise, the negatives mostly relating to the staff and service, not the food... But I don't recall any of us who are frequent TV posters, and repeat Sunrise customers, ever making or encountering such allegations...

One thing I know for certain... Greg is very serious about trying to make a success of his business there. It would be a shame if his business became the target of an unwarranted smear campaign....