Good Mexican Food

grtaylor

While a bit off the beaten track for Sukhumvit "down-towners", a really great Mexican food experience is at the Que Pasa (28/7 Soi Parsert Islam in Pakkret.

Absolutely great (freshly home made!) salsa, with authentic Mexican food.

Worth a trip (say hello to Alex).

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI... I was mistaken in my prior post about the price of the three Chili Verde tacos at Sunrise Tacos... Soi 12... The correct price was/is 139 for that special... not 189.... (The latter was for a different specials item). Hereby corrected...for the record.

FYI... I was mistaken in my prior post about the price of the three Chili Verde tacos at Sunrise Tacos... Soi 12... The correct price was/is 139 for that special... not 189.... (The latter was for a different specials item). Hereby corrected...for the record.

I am looking forward to trying Miguels in Chiang Mai......several people on this forum have said it is good Mexican food. If true, the cook must have access to authentic peppers and spices and know something about how to cook genuine Mexican food (e.g., good sauces). Not being in Chiang Mai, I have to say that I miss Taco Bell.......there just isn't any decent Mexican food in Bangkok or Pattaya. The market must really be small now for Mexican food or Taco Bell would be here.

I am looking forward to trying Miguels in Chiang Mai......several people on this forum have said it is good Mexican food. If true, the cook must have access to authentic peppers and spices and know something about how to cook genuine Mexican food (e.g., good sauces). Not being in Chiang Mai, I have to say that I miss Taco Bell.......there just isn't any decent Mexican food in Bangkok or Pattaya. The market must really be small now for Mexican food or Taco Bell would be here.

Yum! Brands, Inc., which owns Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut, has made tremendous profits in Asia, primarily from the fact that the Chinese (and the Thais) love KFC. They have opened about 3 Taco Bell Grandes in China. These resemble a TGIF or Chilis, more than the fast food chain in the U.S.

Taco Bell is not Mexican food. I don't think the concept would work in Thailand. Good authentic Mexican food would work. You just can't expect the Thais will line up outside your restaurant. Farangs are going to be the core market, but they want real Mexican food, not Taco Bell.

And I must say, at least based on today's experience, the changes have been for the good. Service today was just fine. I just hope they can replicate that during the busier night times and keep the ship on course...

Thanks jfchandler for the report. I can confirm that our service has improved. Back at the first of the year, we had growing pains with the opening of two new locations and changing to a sit down restaurant rather than ordering at the counter. Very sorry for people that encountered those earlier obstacles. If that did happen to you, just send me a pm and I'll hook you up with a free dinner for your guest and you.

Our flavor has to have improved even more as we do lots more roasting tomatoes, garlic and chilies. Our tortillas both corn and flour have improved as it’s made by hand. Getting our staff to understand the temperature outside will change the amount of water used and how you make the tortillas. All of this was a learning curve and we very much appreciate the feedback as it has made us the place you want in Thailand.

The latest breaking news is we will be expanding to Singapore in the next 90 days. After that it will be Viet Nam.

In Thailand, we are on track to opening Sunrise Tacos at the airport and a full sit down restaurant at Central World.

Exciting times ahead. I'm in the States now but will be talking with George on how we can reward the Thaivisa members for helping us with all their feedback even if some posts was very misleading and didn't even deserve a comment. However 90% of the posts have been good in letting us know how we can get better or lettiing us know we are spot on with what they want.

Yum! Brands, Inc., which owns Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut, has made tremendous profits in Asia, primarily from the fact that the Chinese (and the Thais) love KFC. They have opened about 3 Taco Bell Grandes in China. These resemble a TGIF or Chilis, more than the fast food chain in the U.S.

Taco Bell is not Mexican food. I don't think the concept would work in Thailand. Good authentic Mexican food would work. You just can't expect the Thais will line up outside your restaurant. Farangs are going to be the core market, but they want real Mexican food, not Taco Bell.

Sad to say the Taco Bell Grandes stores have closed in China.

http://eastwindupchronicle.com/taco-bell-s...ai-closes-shop/

Seems they were trying to adjust the recipes and menu items to try to appeal more to the Chinese palate, rather than offer true Mexican Food.

An interesting excerpt from a Times magazine article They also point out Caesar Salad was on the menu but most people would be surprise to know that the Caesar Salad was created by Caesar Cardini in Tijuana Mexico!

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...-543845,00.html

Maybe it doesn't take a genius to sell chicken in China, but steak chalupas and chili cheese burritos? Yum's latest effort is a Chinese iteration of Taco Bell in Shanghai, where the company is trying to repeat its KFC and Pizza Hut success with Mexican fare. Little of the Taco Bell formula has been imported from the U.S. The Shanghai outlet, which opened last May, is called Taco Bell Grande. It's a fancier, sit-down restaurant, a concept that is gaining traction in China with the popularity of T.G.I. Friday's, the Hard Rock Cafe and Tony Roma's. Not surprisingly, much of the food at Taco Bell Grande is only vaguely authentic. Caesar salad is on the menu, and there are no hard-shell tacos (research found mainlanders don't like them). There are burritos, quesadillas and enchiladas, but "to be very frank, people can't remember all the names," says Yum director Jamieson.

Yum developed the Taco Bell Grande menu after more than a year of experimenting in a test kitchen in Shanghai and collecting feedback from several Taco Bell outlets in Singapore,which have since closed. Mexican food might prove to be a tough sell. "I remember from my high school geography class that we were told all Mexico had for food was chili, corn and beans," says Beijing resident Li Xiaoming, 25. "How could they possibly create any tasty fast food out of those ingredients?" Despite the odds, the ever-ambitious Yum plans to open additional Taco Bell Grandes in Shanghai next year.

Lots of good pictures here of the concept…

http://www.jasonbarbacovi.com/2005/04/yo-q...-taco-bell.html

www.sunrisetacos.com

ain't no such thing as 'good mexican food' outside of East LA so get used to a closest substitute...

someone said that Senor Picos at the Rembrandt was acceptable but I say no...it is junk and a disgrace to mexican cuisine worldwide...Senor Pico is a worldwide chain... there was an outlet near my place in Bahrain...sum folks seem to think that 'fajitas' represent the best that mexican cuisine has to offer...bullshed...never heard of 'fajitas' except in the last 20 years. The test of a restaurant was always how they did their chiles rellenos...

there is large scope for an enterprising individual to set up a GOOD mexican restaurant in BKK, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime...

I am not sure about the East LA part, I think South Omaha would be a contender.

Completely agreed on the fajitas...I do not mind them, but fajitas is not Mexican food...it is Tex-Mex, which is ok, but certainly not Mexican food

Chile rellenos, my favorite

I stopped patronizing Sunrise about 6 months ago due to repeated bad service, mixed up food orders, and being overcharged on each of my last 3 visits.

On Friday evening I was in the Soi 12 area and in the mood for some quick Mexican. With some trepidation, I decided to give them another try about 5:30PM.

Much to my surprise, everything went smoothly. I think they have updated/simplified the order form. The Filipino guy took my order and everything came in 10 minutes as requested. When I asked for the check, the bill actually had ink on the receipt that I could read!!! That is an amazing feat for Thailand as receipts are normally barely legible, at best. The food was much better than the last time I ate there and the roasted onions and peppers are a great addition to the taste of a burrito.

My only minor complaint was several staff people who apparently had nothing to do, hovered close to my table singing songs and dancing around while I was trying to read a newspaper. A bit annoying but tolerable. I guess it is a small price to pay for a tasty meal.

I hope that Sunrise is "over the learning hump" and maintains and continues the improvements. I will add them back to my list of places I like to eat if I get another good experience there on my next visit.

But you do know that "genuine mexican food" and Taco Bell are two different worlds, right? Jeez, more often than not I find that the US neighbors have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE about Mexican and not even Tex-Mex.

Miguel's is Taco Bell. Junk food. It's the ingredients that matter. But if Taco Bell is good for you...then...fine.

Miguel's is Taco Bell. Junk food. It's the ingredients that matter. But if Taco Bell is good for you...then...fine.

Miguel's has nothing at all in common with Taco Bell and anyone who thinks so knows nothing about food.

It is pretty much like any average California style Mexican Restaurant in the Bay Area or Southern California except that avocados are only available about 6 months a year. The quality of the Mexico food at Miguel's would be rated acceptable in Northern California, but unmatched in Chiang Mai, Thailand or anywhere in South East Asia! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well as a regular customer of Taco Loco, I would say that I would recommend it. Of course it isn't far as good as Taco Bell in America, but good enough. I prefer it over Sunrise Tacos which IMO sux a%$...

The guys from Taco Loco recently told me they had moved to Ekkamai near Big C.... just wanted to mention it... Gotta go there one day....

Well as a regular customer of Taco Loco, I would say that I would recommend it. Of course it isn't far as good as Taco Bell in America, but good enough. I prefer it over Sunrise Tacos which IMO sux a%$...

The guys from Taco Loco recently told me they had moved to Ekkamai near Big C.... just wanted to mention it... Gotta go there one day....

Good news. Much better location for Taco Loco. Looking forward to checking it out. I love their double decker tacos.

Good news. Much better location for Taco Loco. Looking forward to checking it out. I love their double decker tacos.

I went to Taco Loco quite a lot, when it was still in Sala Deng... The reason for that is that it was only a station away from AUA Language center where I study Japanese... Now since it is located in Ekkamai, it is too far away from AUA and to expensive and time consuming for me to go there just for a bunch of Tacos and Burritos, so I gotta order per delivery service instead from time to time...

Of course it isn't far as good as Taco Bell in America, but good enough.

Are we that desperate in Thailand, that we use Taco Bell as a measuring stick?

Yep. :o

Yes........agreed.......and sad comment on the state of affairs........not one decent Mexican food place (but I have not been to Chiang Mai to try Miguels). The only thing expanding is very bad Mexican food........I really can't even call it Mexican food. Sorry, but that is my opinion.

There is a new Mexican Restaurant called Mamacita (A Taste of Mexico). It is in the Court Wing (not the main bldg) of the Royal President Hotel which is off Sukhumvit and down Soi 15 about 300 meters. You could also walk down Soi 19 from Suk, and take the first left (after 300 meters) and you would see it in the Royal Pres. Open from 11AM until 10PM and the owner's name is Bee.

It is a small place with some outside seating and about 15-20 seats inside (a/c). Prices for food seemed typical: Burrito 160b (set 190b), Nacho salad 150b, Fajita 160b, enchilada 160b, quesadilla 160b. Drink prices were soda 35b, Heineken beer 80b, 1 liter pitcher of margarita 500b.

I only tried the tortilla chips and homemade salsa which I liked. I saw an order of some Mex dish (Enchiladas I think) and it looked good. I plan to go back and try more items to see how it is.

Edited by farangene

There is a new Mexican Restaurant called Mamacita (A Taste of Mexico). It is in the Court Wing (not the main bldg) of the Royal President Hotel which is off Sukhumvit and down Soi 15 about 300 meters. You could also walk down Soi 19 from Suk, and take the first left (after 300 meters) and you would see it in the Royal Pres. Open from 11AM until 10PM and the owner's name is Bee.

It is a small place with some outside seating and about 15-20 seats inside (a/c). Prices for food seemed typical: Burrito 160b (set 190b), Nacho salad 150b, Fajita 160b, enchilada 160b, quesadilla 160b. Drink prices were soda 35b, Heineken beer 80b, 1 liter pitcher of margarita 500b.

I only tried the tortilla chips and homemade salsa which I liked. I saw an order of some Mex dish (Enchiladas I think) and it looked good. I plan to go back and try more items to see how it is.

Thanks for the info, may be I'll try it out. Want to try Fajita.

...like back home in the great nation of TEXAS.

JR, shame on you :o

That is the Republic of Texas

"republic" for the old one........."nation" for the new one that will hopefully come..........either way we both know what is best for the state. AND, if you know Tex-Mex at places like Joe T. Garcias (Ft Worth) and El Fenix (Dallas), you know why I keep saying there is no Mexican food in Thailand.......I would add no Mexican food in Asia. Maybe some day it will come here, but by the time Thais and expats from Europe will think that "flashy, overpriced dog mess" is Mexican food. I wonder if Thais and European expats would even eat real Mexican food after recent events. I would still settle for Taco Bell, at least initially. And, as stated previously, I have never eaten at Miguels in Chiang Mai and will keep an open mind.

I have never eaten at Miguels in Chiang Mai and will keep an open mind.

Don't forget that Miguel's is California Style Mexican, rather than Tex Mex. For those of us who miss Mission Street Burritos, it is a Godsend, but it might not be exactly what a cowpoke from Texas is looking for. :o

Hi,

accepting the danger of being controversial, :o but isn't all Mexican food and certainly all of the Chain Restaurant food either Tex Mex or Mex something ?

Real Mexican food, Mexico being a traditionally poorer country with lots of farmers etc. makes a lot of use of the cheaper parts of animals like offal in various sausages and stews. There certainly is no or little cheese in sight. One can not find "real" Mexican food anywhere else but in Mexico itself or may be in some Mexican quarters in the US which will be totally different than the offerings by "Mexican" rstaurants,

John

There are lots of places in California that do old fashioned Mexican food and I would guess Texas and Arizona as well. A place like that won't have super-burritos, so I know right away that it is not what I'm looking for at lunchtime, but most of these super-burritos/Cal. Mexican places are right in the middle of the Mexican district of town - The Mission District in San Francisco - and are eaten mostly by Mexican Americans - not Gringos - but we like it too.

There are parts of Mexico that use cheese, sour cream and avocados in their food, so California Mexican is still traditional in many ways. I don't mind old fashioned Mexican food for dinner, but prefer California Mexican for lunch.

Taco Bell is not Mexican food in any sense, but it is influenced by it.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hi,

accepting the danger of being controversial, :o but isn't all Mexican food and certainly all of the Chain Restaurant food either Tex Mex or Mex something ?

Real Mexican food, Mexico being a traditionally poorer country with lots of farmers etc. makes a lot of use of the cheaper parts of animals like offal in various sausages and stews. There certainly is no or little cheese in sight. One can not find "real" Mexican food anywhere else but in Mexico itself or may be in some Mexican quarters in the US which will be totally different than the offerings by "Mexican" rstaurants,

John

John, there are plenty of Mexican food restaurants in Southern California that serve authentic Mexican food in all of its various forms.... Though, it is correct that most of the larger "chains" tend to primarily serve Tex Mex choices.... Mexican food is so endemic in Southern California (my former home) that you can pretty much find anything you are hungering for in any style... somewhere.... even real Mexican chorizo!!! :D

Greg, congratulations on the upcoming non-Thailand expansion plans.... Are Vietnam and Singapore going to be company or franchise ventures? And anything new about plans inside Thailand, for example, Pattaya or other???

Hi John,

Master Franchises outside Thailand.

As for Thailand, airport locations are in the works. Trying to squeeze in co-brands but the space is limited. We'll see on the designs this coming week.

www.sunrisetacos.com

24 hour delivery in Bangkok

http://www.chefsxp.com/sunrise