Good Mexican Food

grtaylor

Bean and cheese tacos please. Your staff thinks that the only possible way to make such a thing is to charge 39 baht for the taco delete the meat and then charge another 30 baht or sometthing like that extra for the beans.

By the way, I heard a rumor that Taco Bell is coming. Anyone else here that?

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Sunrise experience

First, four years ago, when I moved here, there were so few options for Mexican so this is a great trend. Bangkok is becoming a better place to live every year thanks to all these entrepeneurs.

So Sunrise... I am big fan. This is exactly what this town needed (along with pizza joints by the slice).

Went there today (Mon, June 11). I think it's good value, good portions and I like the low key, small vibe. My Thai girlfriend liked it too. Staff was great; they seemed a bit overwhelmed but who wouldn't be with all the permutations. Then someone called in an order and spent like 15 minutes ordering - felt bad for the friendly Thai doing his best to take down the guys requests.

We had a carnitas soft corn taco, baroca (forgot the spelling) beef plate and carne asada burrito, chips and guac and virgin mango marg. Carne asada stood out. It's tasty. Mango marg. was good too. Guac was fine, didn't find it too small. Could use a bit more flavor.

I will definitely be going back and it's perfect for a post-bar fill. I think this place will def be a success.

At least 10 people - including curious passerby - stopped in while I was there.

I hope Thais start getting into more authentic pizza, mex, joints like this...what BK needs now is a real US-style chalkboard sandwich place. Does anyone know where to get a good fresh turkey sandwich in this town???

I'm not sure, but I think it might be as simple as a white varietal of corn rather than a yellow, though generally, yellow corn is more lended to animal feed than not, unless it is sweet corn, which might be the reason for the sweet taste of the tortillas even before you start.
This explains it then as we use #2 yellow corn dent.. The corn used to make tortilla can be white, yellow or even blue. The lime takes off the outer shell leaving the hull which is a great source of vitamin C and fiber. It’s impossible to make tortillas with sweet corn as it would be mush.
Bean and cheese tacos please. Your staff thinks that the only possible way to make such a thing is to charge 39 baht for the taco delete the meat and then charge another 30 baht or sometthing like that extra for the beans.

Think I'll do that. The reason is they don't think outside the box. Why, I'm at Sunrise Tacos over 75 hours a week getting them to think. As others can attest, never a charge when I'm there and I suggest black beans for the veggie tacos. But I know what you are talking about with some of the staff... they can only go from a to b not a to c. But all and all they are a good group of guys.

So Sunrise... I am big fan. This is exactly what this town needed (along with pizza joints by the slice).

Went there today (Mon, June 11). I think it's good value, good portions and I like the low key, small vibe. My Thai girlfriend liked it too. Staff was great; they seemed a bit overwhelmed but who wouldn't be with all the permutations.

Thanks for stopping by. Sorry I missed you. Yesterday was my birthday and was gone from the restaurant till 11 p.m.
I hope Thais start getting into more authentic pizza, mex, joints like this...what BK needs now is a real US-style chalkboard sandwich place. Does anyone know where to get a good fresh turkey sandwich in this town???

O'Brians directly on Sukhumvit Rd in the Nailert Building between Soi 3/1 and Soi 5 offers fresh oven cooked turkey. They sell quite a bit of it every day. O'Brians is open 24 hours. This is my wife’s restaurant. You'll love the turkey.

By the way they are opening a O'Brians Express inside the Villa Supermarket on Sukhumvit Soi 11 which will be selling oven baked turkey as well.

By the way, I heard a rumor that Taco Bell is coming. Anyone else here that?

Heard from a good source Taco Bell is coming to Silom. Minor Group bought the license from the Yum Group and they had been working on this for the last three years. We'll see.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I have exactly zero inside information.and no 'good sources'. As the YUM! group (formerly the Pepsico restaurant group) owns Pizza Hut -- the sworn mortal enemy of The Pizza Company -- I seriously doubt they would grant the Thailand Taco Bell franchise license (also owned by YUM! group) to MINOR group, which owns The Pizza Company. Last I heard in the Bangkok Post, Pizza Hut was suing The Pizza Company for stealing trade secrets:

"The operator of Pizza Hut has accused its arch-rival The Pizza Company of copying its pizza franchise's business concepts and has lodged a formal complaint with the company. Joseph Han, vice-president and country manager of Yum! Restaurants, which runs Pizza Hut, said its legal consultant had sent a formal letter of complaint to The Pizza Company concerning the possibility of remedial action over the alleged use of similar products and promotions ..."

"Pizza Hut may have a legal claim against The Pizza Company if trade secrets are deemed to have been violated, according to Thawat Damsa-ard, a litigator at the international law firm Tilleke & Gibbins..." Bangkok Post SEP 08, 2006

...and as for copyright infringment, the operative word in the Thailand Copyright Act BE 2537 is 'emulation' as 'adaptation ...' from Section 27 is defined... in Section 4:

"adaptation" is defined as a reproduction by transformation, improvement, modification or EMULATION of the essential part of an original work without creating a new work, whether in whole or in part;

so the copyright infringement does not have to be word-for-word

I have exactly zero inside information.and no 'good sources'. As the YUM! group (formerly the Pepsico restaurant group) owns Pizza Hut -- the sworn mortal enemy of The Pizza Company -- I seriously doubt they would grant the Thailand Taco Bell franchise license (also owned by YUM! group) to MINOR group, which owns The Pizza Company. Last I heard in the Bangkok Post, Pizza Hut was suing The Pizza Company for stealing trade secrets:

Yes I know they are not the best of friends. :-)

A customer said "It was in the Bangkok Post that they were going to be on Silom and it was the Minor group." As I didn't see it in the Bangkok Post, called up my buddy with the Minor Group, he said "this has been in the works for three years." We'll see.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

tried sunrise 2 nights ago and really enjoyed the food

tacos were great, price was right all good.

what i did not appreciate was the liqour bloated oaf who consumed three heineken in 15 mins waiting for his 6 tacos to be ready for takeout an felt the need to confide to myself and my friend :

"I been here 8 years man. i had more pussy in this town in 8 years than i had the whole rest of my life"

to the alcohol bloated fool, if he is a member of the board: thanks for sharing jack, the thought of your wretched sexcapades is not what i needed while waiting for my food.

i will order out next time.

Edited by t.s

what i did not appreciate was the liqour bloated oaf who consumed three heineken in 15 mins waiting for his 6 tacos to be ready for takeout an felt the need to confide to myself and my friend :

"I been here 8 years man. i had more pussy in this town in 8 years than i had the whole rest of my life"

At least he was honest! :o

I must say that Sunrise's Barbacoa taco has greatly improved.

When I first ate there, it was DRY. Now the beef is JUICY.

I like Sunrise better than Taco Loco now, although the Sunrise taco is significantly smaller but only 6 baht cheaper.

Overall I now prefer Sunrise.

Edited by junkofdavid2

I must say that Sunrise's Barbacoa taco has greatly improved.

When I first ate there, it was DRY. Now the beef is JUICY.

I like Sunrise better than Taco Loco now, although the Sunrise taco is significantly smaller but only 6 baht cheaper.

Overall I now prefer Sunrise.

We are in fact 16 Baht cheaper than Loco ( 30% less cost to the consumer for one taco ) if you are looking at buying one Ground Beef, Chicken or Grilled Veggies taco.

Not sure how our tacos could ever be significantly smaller. Our tacos are 6 inches and as we make them ourselves, they sometimes shrink to 5.85 inch depending on the water content in the corn tortilla and humidity. The company Loco buys the tortilla from, taco is 6 inch with them having 4 inch available as well.

We have a very hard time fitting three crispy tacos in a basket and they are filled to the brim every time. If Loco is selling bigger than our 6 inch taco, its a burrito tortilla they are using. God bless them and more power to them then.

Never heard before our barbacoa beef was ever dry but it could of been a one off at first. Good to hear you now find it juicy.

tried sunrise 2 nights ago and really enjoyed the food

tacos were great, price was right all good.

Thanks for stopping by.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Not sure how our tacos could ever be significantly smaller. Our tacos are 6 inches and as we make them ourselves, they sometimes shrink to 5.85 inch depending on the water content in the corn tortilla and humidity. The company Loco buys the tortilla from, taco is 6 inch with them having 4 inch available as well.

We have a very hard time fitting three crispy tacos in a basket and they are filled to the brim every time. If Loco is selling bigger than our 6 inch taco, its a burrito tortilla they are using. God bless them and more power to them then.

Thanks for stopping by.

www.sunrisetacos.com

My apologies. I think you are correct.

Now that I think of it, the Taco Loco taco I tried was the soft one... flour tortilla which is bigger.

And then when I said Sunrise is "only 6 baht cheaper", I may have unfairly been comparing Sunrise Barbacoa to Taco Loco's ground beef... and Sunrise's juicy Barbacoa beats Loco's ground beef anytime (hands down!)... and ground beef is of course much cheaper to offer.

Oh! And one more thing. The last time I ate at Taco Loco, it seemed like they were beginning to put less meat inside the taco and in their mexican rice bowl compared to before. Hope that was just a fluke... :o

Anyway, Sunrise is great. :D

Mike

Edited by junkofdavid2

Bizarrely, in Loco they also charge an extra 5-10 Baht for takeout orders. Never known the takeout prices being more that the eat-in ones! Note I'm not talking about delivery here, but ordering and taking out the taco yourself.

Bizarrely, in Loco they also charge an extra 5-10 Baht for takeout orders. Never known the takeout prices being more that the eat-in ones! Note I'm not talking about delivery here, but ordering and taking out the taco yourself.

Take away food frequently costs more than eat-in food in Thailand. I think the rationale is the extra packing supplies involved in take-out.

I've tried both Sunrise and Taco Loca recently.

I'd go along with the other posters comment abount ST seeming to be about 85% higher price but 40% betteter quality over TL

I didn't like the Hard shell taco's at ST they seemed too thick and hard.

For fresh hard taco shells I prefer Woodstock.

Overall will continue to go to all three .

PS Greg your menu board is thoroughly confusing.

Ok I'll be happy to go over the steps...

1. Pick your meal. Tacos or Burrito

2. Pick your filling for your taco or burrito... Steak( Carne Asada), Pork( Carnitas), Barbacoa Beef, Chicken, Ground Beef, Veggie.

What you put in your tacos or burrito determines the cost. 3 chicken tacos cost 117 Baht. 3 Steak tacos cost 134 Baht.

3. Pick your choice of toppings for your burrito or taco... Lettuce, Onions, Jalapenos, Salsa, One choice of sour cream or cheese.

For burritos you also get free spanish rice and beans.

4. Pay and chow down.

I'd go along with the other posters comment abount ST seeming to be about 85% higher price but 40% betteter quality over TL

Thanks for the comment of us being better in quality.

I like to point out, the only way we are even one baht higher for tacos is if you add guacamole( which TL does not have) or pick more than one dairy item. If you don't, we can be 30% lower in cost to TL and with others even with all options of the extra dairy and guacamole we can be 75% lower in cost.

I didn't like the Hard shell taco's at ST they seemed too thick and hard.

Very sorry to hear this. Please try it again. Odds are very high, you'll feel different.

When you are using no preservatives and humans, you get lemons from time to time. On average one taco shell out of every 50 shells can be too hard. The positive of the freshness and love they are made with certainly overweighs the inconsistency of humans. I spend enough time in the store hearing the raves how this is the best taco they ever had. We know however every once in a while, the taco maker did not roll the tortilla as thin as he or she should have or they didn't deep fry it as long as it should have or they didn't put it vertical when it came out of the deep fryer and the shell was harder than it should be. When this happens, just let us know, we'll be happy to make a new taco for you.

Greg Lange

Owner Sunrise Tacos

www.sunrisetacos.com

I agree that the Sunrise "system" is confusing in the beginning.

However, once you get the hang of it (as I did), IT'S THE BEST SYSTEM ever! :D

It allows you to specify EXACTLY what you want for your taco/burrito, and you can be as O.C. and anal as you want, with little possibility that the staff will get it wrong. :D

Maybe allow 2 systems?

One small mcdonalds style board (with about 5 or 6 ready-made tacos/burritos) and then also "make your own", for food aficionados like me... :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

Maybe allow 2 systems?

One small mcdonalds style board (with about 5 or 6 ready-made tacos/burritos) and then also "make your own", for food aficionados like me... :o

Good idea actually - I found the whole thing a bit confusing at first. Especially with the form to fill in also; was unsure which columns to put which numbers (or crosses? ticks?) in, and the fear that if I filled in every section I might end up with a humongous burrito costing me about 500 baht.... I'm exaggerating slightly of course but I do think it can be a bit confusing for the uninitiated.

A set of pre-defined tacos & burritos would be a good idea I think - could be numbered also for even more ease of ordering.

I agree that the Sunrise "system" is confusing in the beginning.

Well that makes three of us. I said the same thing earlier in this thread (or was it the other thread about Sunrise). At first I thought maybe it was just me, but if already three people have commented on the same thing, it indicates there is a definite problem. Greg, if you're listening, you've got to do something with your menu. It's awful for someone coming in the first time and trying to order something quickly. I think I also suggested two separate menus back when I first mentioned the problem. One menu that allows someone to quickly glance at it and decide what they want, and another one with all the details you've got now.

How far off of Sukhumvit Road is Tia Maria?

It's not in Bangkok but if your ever in Korat go to the Big Chili. They have good Mexican food and Margaritas.

To get to Tia Maria's, turn in to Sukhumvit 31, then make a left at the first major intersection. Follow this road for another 200+ yards, then make the next left. This will bring you to a short stretch where you will see Silom Village on your right, and the Wine Connection on your left. Drive straight ahead to the next intersection, make a left and your will be right in front on Tia Marias.

An easier way to get there is to get in a cab or on a motorcycle, make the left into Soi 31 and tell the driver to take you to Silom Village, then work from there. Good luck!

i went yesterday at 12pm, sunday...i think the younger girl wearing the black shirt, should get some type of extra benefit..she looked really tired...and took control when the older stumpier worker couldnt comprehend that i wanted 3 tacos with different fillings....she is a hard worker.

i realize that people have different opinions about mexican food especially in LOS, thats why i had refrained from making any comments....but

heres my background, i am from houston, texas where i lived on mexican food as well as worked at a mexican restaraunt through highschool, i am 34 now.

i wont make any other comments, as i respect new businesses and try not to say anything negative.....all i have to say is, work on the size of the portions a bit and study what the traditional ingredients are, because a few were clearly missing.....and the toppins were way to thin, not like the in store picturs at all.

a good restaraunt is a good restaraunt, regardless of style....a texan can be converted to californian taste and vice versa....if its good its good.

that being said, if you make the tacos bigger you will have another repeat customer....or make it 4 for 137 baht instead of 3....or just up the ingredients, to resemble the picture.

heres one i took home to experiment with some chili sauce (original order was 3 assorted)

s5001349tf2.jpg

not like the picture in the restaurant.

Went in yesterday to check out Sunrise Tacos. Everything was fine. I had the carne asada, steak tacos. I can vouch that the picture of the tacos above is accurate. The tacos are about 3/4 the size of those you would find in most places. The filling was adequate but not generous. I would say the food taste and value is on the same level as Charley Brown's although the ambience at Charley Brown's is better since it is a full size restaurant, rather than a counter top operation. A good lunch spot, has its drawbacks for dinner. Altogether, its great to have good Mex food at such a :o convenient location.

Went in yesterday to check out Sunrise Tacos. Everything was fine. I had the carne asada, steak tacos. I can vouch that the picture of the tacos above is accurate. The tacos are about 3/4 the size of those you would find in most places.

Bull crap. I will pay 100,000 Baht to your 50 Baht if you can prove this fact. That means over 51% restaurants have to have a bigger taco and our taco is 25% less than another taco in Bangkok. You won't even find one place let alone over half. Just pure Bull. I work 16 hours a day at the shop and I know what were serving and its not anything like that picture.

Well that makes three of us. I said the same thing earlier in this thread (or was it the other thread about Sunrise). At first I thought maybe it was just me, but if already three people have commented on the same thing, it indicates there is a definite problem. Greg, if you're listening, you've got to do something with your menu. It's awful for someone coming in the first time and trying to order something quickly. I think I also suggested two separate menus back when I first mentioned the problem. One menu that allows someone to quickly glance at it and decide what they want, and another one with all the details you've got now.

I surmise as the menu board is the same format as large chains in the USA and millions of Americans order from it every month, it was simple but it seems I was wrong. The truth be told, most all "get it." The ones that don't order from the takeout menu.

We are doing the 4th of July American Embassy event next Saturday with expectations of over 700 people eating our tacos and burritos in 6 hours. Will be experimenting with a less option menu to keep the crowd moving.( no sour cream option, no guacamole option, no choice between red or black beans, no onions, no jalapeños, no soft corn tacos, no mango salsa) They will say " one chicken burrito spicy" or " three carnitas crispy mild" or " five steak soft medium" The chicken burrito guy will get 10 inch tortilla,rice, black beans, lettuce, cheese, hot salsa and chicken. The carntias guy will get 6 inch crispy shell, carnitas, fresh tomatoes, lettuce and cheese. The steak guy will get 6 inch soft flour taco, steak, Sunrise salsa, lettuce and cheese.

I'm open minded but never had one person complain about the menu board after eating our food. We'll see after Sat. and the reaction of people with limited options.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Just to reiterate, the problem with your menu isn't a problem for repeat customers. After one knows your menu, they know what they want or where to look on the menu for something new. It's strictly a problem for the first-time customer. It's simply too overwhelming for someone who just wants to pop-in and get something quickly. If you have the time to read and digest (no pun intended) everything on the menu, again it's no problem. It's just that a first timer, in a hurry, can't come in and take a quick glance and find what they want to order. Many will just take it in stride and simply order something, not necessarily what they wanted, and learn the menu later on subsequent trips. Others may get frustrated and walk out, perhaps never to return, due to not having the patience to wade through it all.

I've never seen a menu board like your's at large chains in the USA, but maybe that's just because I haven't been to any such places in many years. I've been a couple times to fast food places in Thailand and never noticed such a menu board there. Normally all items are well organized into categories and after finding the category you want can easily locate which item you want to order. The only exception being many times they have specials or other limited-time-offers that are separate. Your "three tacos" are a normal feature, thus my complaint that all your taco options aren't together, all your burrito options together, etc.

Anyways, when you have new customers come in, why not ask them about your menu and what they think? Ask them if they find it confusing or not and if they could locate what they want quickly or not. Maybe the three of us complaining about that here are still in the minority. It doesn't matter personally to me anymore as I now know what you are offering and don't need to read through the menu anymore.

JMaybe the three of us complaining about that here are still in the minority.

Hi,

Please don't count me in as one of the ones "complaining".

I agree it's confusing the first time, but that like I said, after the first time, "IT'S THE BEST SYSTEM EVER." :D

That's hardly a "complaint". :o

Any system has it's pros and cons; and in this case, I mention the cons but the pros outweigh it tremendously. :D

And then I add a suggestion (not a complaint) that maybe another section can be added to simplify. :D

Cheers!

Mike

Edited by junkofdavid2

I too feel the menu can be cleaned up some, but I have a bigger complaint. If you are going to advertise a delivery service, it's pretty important to deliver on that promise. I've ordered from ST two times. Both times I was very happy. Good quality and left me and my wife wanting more. Twice now I've called for delivery (early in the evening, around 5:30pm or so) and have been turned down. First time, a Thai woman answered the phone and when I inquired about delivery, she asked someone if they could deliver (which there was no trouble with before). squawked from across the restaurant, an American man (who I presume is Greg, since he works there so often) said "Tell them we're too busy and to just call tomorrow". The second time we called for delivery was tonight and were told (by Greg himself) that they can't deliver because their delivery guy hadn't shown up, and "your best bet is just to jump on the skytrain and...". I know that the latter was out of ST's control, but to have twice been told that we cannot get a delivery order is a bit discouraging and leaves me feeling like my patronage is not important to ST. So, I'm returning to buying El Charo until they partner with a reliable delivery service (read: FoodByPhone).

I too feel the menu can be cleaned up some, but I have a bigger complaint. If you are going to advertise a delivery service, it's pretty important to deliver on that promise. I've ordered from ST two times. Both times I was very happy. Good quality and left me and my wife wanting more. Twice now I've called for delivery (early in the evening, around 5:30pm or so) and have been turned down. First time, a Thai woman answered the phone and when I inquired about delivery, she asked someone if they could deliver (which there was no trouble with before). squawked from across the restaurant, an American man (who I presume is Greg, since he works there so often) said "Tell them we're too busy and to just call tomorrow". The second time we called for delivery was tonight and were told (by Greg himself) that they can't deliver because their delivery guy hadn't shown up, and "your best bet is just to jump on the skytrain and...". I know that the latter was out of ST's control, but to have twice been told that we cannot get a delivery order is a bit discouraging and leaves me feeling like my patronage is not important to ST. So, I'm returning to buying El Charo until they partner with a reliable delivery service (read: FoodByPhone).

I was there paying during the phone call, it is a fact

Hi Greg, I've eaten enough of your tacos these past 2 weeks for you to remember my name and face I think heh. I can't get enough of the tacos, I'll probably eat too many in a short time and get sick of them and have to take a break but it's hard to resist. The Tacos are always brimming to the top with fresh ingredients and taste better than any other taco I've had in Thailand. The one time I got a "tough" taco shell I simply got it exchanged for a new one right away free.

You DO need to partner with food by phone or something along those lines. The delivery service right now is non functional as far as I can tell. I like to pay extra for the convenience of sitting on my butt and not moving an inch to get great food. One of the reasons why I love this country.

Damian Mavis

Food by Phone takes 20% and charges the customer 20% on top. As our margins are low, that’s out.

We do around 10 deliveries a day even with no full time delivery guy and that’s with me telling many people that call that don’t live or work in the Lower Sukhumvit area, "" Our food standard is high but our delivery standard is low. Best is to come here or go to another restaurant. Odds are very high; you will be disappointed if you get a delivery from us. ""

Many I simply have to refuse the order as we can't deliver it at this time.

Why do we have a problem with delivery people.

1. We require the delivery guy to work. Most don’t want to. I’ve gone thru 3 already. The other two lasted 5 minutes.

2. I’m a sole proprietorship; I’m certainly not letting anyone drive a company motorcycle until I have insurance up the butt for them to drive it. Have gotten two quotes last week and working on this. I do have a company bicycle they use and some shifts an employee has a motorcycle they use and they get paid for the delivery.

3. The fulltime delivery guy recently stop as he was working two jobs.

Right now our delivery is hit or miss if you are in Sathorn or Ekami.Lower Sukhumvit, we are still delivering on a bike and sometimes on a motorcycle. Lower Suk delivery is going well with some minor hiccups from time to time. Thats why with some customers they are very happy as we do some deliveries at 4:00 in the morning. No one else does that in BKk.

We are advertising for more delivery people but who knows when we find one. The pay is 7,000 Baht per month plus tips plus 20 Baht per trip. If someone has a brother-in-law with a bike and who is not afraid to work, please have him stop by.

www.sunrisetacos.com