Good Mexican Food

grtaylor

Chile rellenos, my favorite

Will be having Chile Relenos as our special of the Day on Saturday. Cheese stuffed in imported poblano peppers that have been fire roasted, dipped in batter and covered with our lightly spiced red sauce. Blistering fresh chilies is one of the reasons Mexican food taste so good. Yummm!!!

www.sunrisetacos.com

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

accepting the danger of being controversial, :o but isn't all Mexican food and certainly all of the Chain Restaurant food either Tex Mex or Mex something ?

Real Mexican food, Mexico being a traditionally poorer country with lots of farmers etc. makes a lot of use of the cheaper parts of animals like offal in various sausages and stews. There certainly is no or little cheese in sight. One can not find "real" Mexican food anywhere else but in Mexico itself or may be in some Mexican quarters in the US which will be totally different than the offerings by "Mexican" rstaurants,

John

John, there are plenty of Mexican food restaurants in Southern California that serve authentic Mexican food in all of its various forms.... Though, it is correct that most of the larger "chains" tend to primarily serve Tex Mex choices.... Mexican food is so endemic in Southern California (my former home) that you can pretty much find anything you are hungering for in any style... somewhere.... even real Mexican chorizo!!! :D

Anybody who even asks this question doesn't realize that huge portions of many large American cities might as well BE Mexico. Where do you think the tens of millions of Mexicans in the US eat? Taco Bell? All kinds of Mexican innard meat is easily available in the US but most gringos don't want it.

Will be having Chile Relenos as our special of the Day on Saturday. Cheese stuffed in imported poblano peppers that have been fire roasted, dipped in batter and covered with our lightly spiced red sauce. Blistering fresh chilies is one of the reasons Mexican food taste so good. Yummm!!!

www.sunrisetacos.com

Greg.... I have long loved those, the hotter the better....but haven't eaten in SO LONG.... the frying..the oil... the cheese....drives the fat/calorie content off the scale...

That said... I might be persuaded to indulge for one day... Are you offering the special at all your current locations??? And, just for Sat. Aug. 23.... or future Sats. as well???

Out of curiosity, how does sunrise get visas for all the filipinos who work there? Are they brought in as "consultants"? Taco engineers? Language teachers?

They get visas and work permits as cooks, assistant cooks, managers, assistant mgrs, quality control, and customer relations for foreign guests. Major pain with all the visa and work permit paperwork even if I have an advantage of owning a legal firm. We have over 60 Thai staff as well that do a good job working with us.

www.sunrisetacos.com

24 hour delivery in Bangkok

http://www.chefsxp.com/sunrise

My only minor complaint was several staff people who apparently had nothing to do, hovered close to my table singing songs and dancing around while I was trying to read a newspaper. A bit annoying but tolerable. I guess it is a small price to pay for a tasty meal.

I hope that Sunrise is "over the learning hump" and maintains and continues the improvements. I will add them back to my list of places I like to eat if I get another good experience there on my next visit.

Trying to get them have to more fun but singing songs and dancing? Wonder what the song was?

Thank you for stopping by. We have stepped it up a notch based on the hundreds of comment cards we see a week. Most of the improvements have to go to the Thaivisa forum pointing out what was wrong. Thanks Guys.

www.sunrisetacos.com

There are lots of places in California that do old fashioned Mexican food and I would guess Texas and Arizona as well.

Ulysses, I think you've been in Thailand so long that you've lost track of the fact that nowadays there are large populations of Mexican immigrants living throughout the United States and not just in the border states. Within the past 15 years there has been an enormous migration of (mostly illegal) Mexican immigrants into the US and they have dispersed from coast to coast. Regardless of ones position on illegal immigration a plus side of this migration has been that there are now authentic Mexican restaurants all over the country. I'm talking about Mexican restaurants run by people who just left Mexico recently and have brought their food traditions along with them. A few clicks away at the US Census site shows that there are now around 774,000 Latinos (overwhelmingly Mexican) in Chicago. That is more than the entire population of the city of San Francisco. There are also significant populations of Mexicans (from Mexico not Mexican Americans) in small and medium sized cities and towns just about everywhere in the country. It can easily be argued that the food and cooking traditions of these newcomers is even more authentic than the Mexican food one finds in the border states where Mexican Americans have lived for many generations and whose food and cooking styles have evolved into the "California Mexican" and "Tex-Mex" styles of food. Next time you're back in the US take a drive through the Midwest and you'll find a Mexican neighborhood and Mexican restaurants in just about every town you pass through. You'll be amazed at how good the Mexican food is and it is neither California style or Tex-Mex.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Greg.... I have long loved those, the hotter the better....but haven't eaten in SO LONG.... the frying..the oil... the cheese....drives the fat/calorie content off the scale...

That said... I might be persuaded to indulge for one day... Are you offering the special at all your current locations??? And, just for Sat. Aug. 23.... or future Sats. as well???

It will be this Saturday along with this Sunday even if we have used up all the poblano chilies( only have 5 kilos) I also have some fresh Anaheim Chilies that we can use Sunday.

It will be at Sukhumvit Soi 12 starting at 6 p.m.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Hey Greg.... sorry to be dense here... but...just to be clear...

So... the chili rellenos won't be available for lunch on Saturday??? Only after 6 pm Sat and then all day on Sunday???

And... only at the Soi 12 branch.... not Paragon or Emporium???

I guess I wasn't sure how you're handling your "specials".... When you talk of a special, I always thought that meant all 3 locations the same.... I didn't know Soi 12 would have different "specials" from the others...

There are lots of places in California that do old fashioned Mexican food and I would guess Texas and Arizona as well.

Ulysses, I think you've been in Thailand so long that you've lost track of the fact that nowadays there are large populations of Mexican immigrants living throughout the United States and not just in the border states. Within the past 15 years there has been an enormous migration of (mostly illegal) Mexican immigrants into the US and they have dispersed from coast to coast. Regardless of ones position on illegal immigration a plus side of this migration has been that there are now authentic Mexican restaurants all over the country. I'm talking about Mexican restaurants run by people who just left Mexico recently and have brought their food traditions along with them. A few clicks away at the US Census site shows that there are now around 774,000 Latinos (overwhelmingly Mexican) in Chicago. That is more than the entire population of the city of San Francisco. There are also significant populations of Mexicans (from Mexico not Mexican Americans) in small and medium sized cities and towns just about everywhere in the country. It can easily be argued that the food and cooking traditions of these newcomers is even more authentic than the Mexican food one finds in the border states where Mexican Americans have lived for many generations and whose food and cooking styles have evolved into the "California Mexican" and "Tex-Mex" styles of food. Next time you're back in the US take a drive through the Midwest and you'll find a Mexican neighborhood and Mexican restaurants in just about every town you pass through. You'll be amazed at how good the Mexican food is and it is neither California style or Tex-Mex.

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds right to me. :o

I have never eaten at Miguels in Chiang Mai and will keep an open mind.

Don't forget that Miguel's is California Style Mexican, rather than Tex Mex. For those of us who miss Mission Street Burritos, it is a Godsend, but it might not be exactly what a cowpoke from Texas is looking for. :o

For the record, I lived in California for a few years and did find great Mexican food there........but it was not "California style" with the bean sprouts and fish and whatever the hel_l they put in it to make it "fancy." It was real Mexican food that I found at very small mom and pop shops. California style Mexican food makes me sick.......but other people love it.

...like back home in the great nation of TEXAS.

JR, shame on you :o

That is the Republic of Texas

"republic" for the old one........."nation" for the new one that will hopefully come..........either way we both know what is best for the state. AND, if you know Tex-Mex at places like Joe T. Garcias (Ft Worth) and El Fenix (Dallas), you know why I keep saying there is no Mexican food in Thailand.......I would add no Mexican food in Asia. Maybe some day it will come here, but by the time Thais and expats from Europe will think that "flashy, overpriced dog mess" is Mexican food. I wonder if Thais and European expats would even eat real Mexican food after recent events. I would still settle for Taco Bell, at least initially. And, as stated previously, I have never eaten at Miguels in Chiang Mai and will keep an open mind.

Americans are as stubborn about the authenticity of their Mexican restaurants as the English are about their Indian restaurants. It's a touchy subject that brings out a kind of nationalism, ironic in the sense they're both defending a cuisine from a third country. :D

I was partially raised in Texas (my father is a 5th-generation Texan) and I spent 10 years travelling and working in Mexico, visiting every state in the process. I appreciate both TexMex and comida mexicana.

Joe T's and El Fenix are both excellent but they're both Tex-Mex, with an over-emphasis on antojitos, not a whole lot like Mexican food in Mexico (but closer than, say, Taco Bell - a chain that does extremely well with Mexican Americans by the way; so clientele is no sure-fire test of authenticity). El Fenix has gone downhill since the 80s and turned into a replicant of itself. Houston Tex-Mex is better than Dallas, I prefer the homegrown Houston Mexican chains over the homegrown Dallas chains, to my tastes anyway. But non-chain is usually better.

My rule of thumb for finding good Mexican food in the USA: If the restaurant has a website, forget it. For my tastes the best city Tex-Mex, overall, is found in San Antonio and El Paso. H&H Car Wash & Cafe in El Paso serves the most outstanding, down-home Tex-Mex I've ever eaten. I've also enjoyed meals in dozens of small south Texas/border towns like Roma, San Ygnacio or San Benito.

Despite the number of Mexican immigrants in the US, there's something about moving a cuisine across the borders that somehow changes it, almost without fail. Chicago and LA both have huge Thai populations but even the tiny mom n'pop places in those cities that cater to a predominantly Thai (virtually 100% in some cases) clientele can't compare with above average places here in Thailand.

I've never had a tamal anywhere in the USA, for example, that compares to the ones you can get on the street in Mexico City. Authentic tacos al pastor in the USA don't exist, mainly because most states prohibit the method of cooking. Cabrito or barbacoa in the USA? Hard to find and when you do find them, not a patch on what's served in any common resto in Nuevo Leon or Hidalgo. Good molletes, machaca de mantarraya (or even authentic beef machaca), fritas or aguachile? You won't even find these items on most Mexican restaurant menus in the States, whether California, Texas or wherever. There's the rare exception of course but most Americans haven't even heard of these dishes.

So let's be realistic when judging Mexican restos in Thailand. If you enjoy the food, give credit. I'm a fan of Miguel's in Chiang Mai. Sin duda, I've had better Mexican in Texas and a lot better in Mexico, but for Thailand it's completely acceptable, I'd say. Here in Bangkok the only place I've tried so far that has passed the test is Sunrise Tacos. Before Sunrise came along it was Senor Pico's of Los Angeles, but as the years have gone by Senor Pico's has gradually moved closer and closer to the Thai palate. Very much like Mexican or Thai restaurants of long standing in the USA, once they began getting a lot of American clientele, they change. Lo mas importante es que lo disfrutes.

Hi,

accepting the danger of being controversial, :D but isn't all Mexican food and certainly all of the Chain Restaurant food either Tex Mex or Mex something ?

Real Mexican food, Mexico being a traditionally poorer country with lots of farmers etc. makes a lot of use of the cheaper parts of animals like offal in various sausages and stews. There certainly is no or little cheese in sight. One can not find "real" Mexican food anywhere else but in Mexico itself or may be in some Mexican quarters in the US which will be totally different than the offerings by "Mexican" rstaurants,

John

Mexicans are very proud of their cheeses and you will find a great variety of domestic cheeses there. In states north of Mexico City (geographically the country's largest area) cheese is everywhere in the cuisine. In cattle-ranching states like Chihuahua and San Luis Potosi cheese is on practically everything and they often serve slabs of panela (a high-cream fresh cheese) on the side, even when there's cheese in the main dishes.

Elsewhere it's at least as common as cheese in Europe or America even if eaten in smaller quantities. In poorer communities the locals make it themselves; one commonly sees handpainted signs by the roadside reading 'Se vende queso casero' (homemade cheese for sale). It's true, though, that Mexicans don't smother their dishes in cheese the way many Mexican restos in America do. It's more judiciously applied :o

Mexican restos in the US use mostly non-Mexican cheeses like Monterey Jack, ricotta or even mild cheddar. Occasionally you see queso cotija (or an approximation) but that's about it. Rarely do you see requeson, panela, quesillo, anejo (which I miss the most), and regional cheeses such chihuahua (popular all over Mexico) or de bola from Ocosingo.

And as you point out, many authentic Mexican dishes - mostly those from the south - do not contain cheese at all. Still you'll often find cheese on the table somewhere, if it's mestizo household (Indian villages, less so). Quesadillas are a staple snack everywhere in Mexico, and every taco stand offers cheese as an option.

Another big difference is in the variety of chiles/chilis/chillies used in the cuisine. Jalapeno, serrano and poblano (or non-traditional Anaheim), occasionally a chipotle (smoked jalapano) or pasilla, are typically all you will find in the USA. In Mexico there are around 60 varieties in daily use.

Don't forget that Miguel's is California Style Mexican, rather than Tex Mex. For those of us who miss Mission Street Burritos, it is a Godsend, but it might not be exactly what a cowpoke from Texas is looking for. :o

For the record, I lived in California for a few years and did find great Mexican food there........but it was not "California style" with the bean sprouts and fish and whatever the hel_l they put in it to make it "fancy." It was real Mexican food that I found at very small mom and pop shops. California style Mexican food makes me sick.......but other people love it.

Actually, I think that you and I like the same type of food.

I don't like the real fancy stuff at Chevy's type chains either (although I would love to have one in Thailand) and I would guess that you don't either - They usually have a farang chef.

I LOVE giant burritos with beans, rice, meat, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and guacamole in them that you get at little neighborhood places around California - which I would call California Mexican - but traditional burritos seem to be very small with only meat inside and I would guess that Tex Mex are similar.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Americans are as stubborn about the authenticity of their Mexican restaurants as the English are about their Indian restaurants. It's a touchy subject that brings out a kind of nationalism, ironic in the sense they're both defending a cuisine from a third country. :o

I was partially raised in Texas (my father is a 5th-generation Texan) and I spent 10 years travelling and working in Mexico, visiting every state in the process. I appreciate both TexMex and comida mexicana.

Joe T's and El Fenix are both excellent but they're both Tex-Mex, with an over-emphasis on antojitos, not a whole lot like Mexican food in Mexico (but closer than, say, Taco Bell - a chain that does extremely well with Mexican Americans by the way; so clientele is no sure-fire test of authenticity). El Fenix has gone downhill since the 80s and turned into a replicant of itself. Houston Tex-Mex is better than Dallas, I prefer the homegrown Houston Mexican chains over the homegrown Dallas chains, to my tastes anyway. But non-chain is usually better.

My rule of thumb for finding good Mexican food in the USA: If the restaurant has a website, forget it. For my tastes the best city Tex-Mex, overall, is found in San Antonio and El Paso. H&H Car Wash & Cafe in El Paso serves the most outstanding, down-home Tex-Mex I've ever eaten. I've also enjoyed meals in dozens of small south Texas/border towns like Roma, San Ygnacio or San Benito.

Despite the number of Mexican immigrants in the US, there's something about moving a cuisine across the borders that somehow changes it, almost without fail. Chicago and LA both have huge Thai populations but even the tiny mom n'pop places in those cities that cater to a predominantly Thai (virtually 100% in some cases) clientele can't compare with above average places here in Thailand.

I've never had a tamal anywhere in the USA, for example, that compares to the ones you can get on the street in Mexico City. Authentic tacos al pastor in the USA don't exist, mainly because most states prohibit the method of cooking. Cabrito or barbacoa in the USA? Hard to find and when you do find them, not a patch on what's served in any common resto in Nuevo Leon or Hidalgo. Good molletes, machaca de mantarraya (or even authentic beef machaca), fritas or aguachile? You won't even find these items on most Mexican restaurant menus in the States, whether California, Texas or wherever. There's the rare exception of course but most Americans haven't even heard of these dishes.

So let's be realistic when judging Mexican restos in Thailand. If you enjoy the food, give credit. I'm a fan of Miguel's in Chiang Mai. Sin duda, I've had better Mexican in Texas and a lot better in Mexico, but for Thailand it's completely acceptable, I'd say. Here in Bangkok the only place I've tried so far that has passed the test is Sunrise Tacos. Before Sunrise came along it was Senor Pico's of Los Angeles, but as the years have gone by Senor Pico's has gradually moved closer and closer to the Thai palate. Very much like Mexican or Thai restaurants of long standing in the USA, once they began getting a lot of American clientele, they change. Lo mas importante es que lo disfrutes.

Very good post sabaijai. I think that maybe you are like myself in that I really enjoy the hunt for good ethnic food almost as much as I like eating it once I find it. As you have said the small Mom and Pop joints often located in some of the most out of the way places often serve the best Mexican, Thai, Middle Eastern, American or whatever type of food you are looking for depending on where you are. One of life's little pleasures begins with standing in front of some odd looking dive in a foreign place and after a lot of indecision finally mustering up the courage to go in and after ordering with trepidation finding out that the food is delicious. There is always a sense of accomplishment upon leaving one of these places when you look over at the people you went in with and say "That was great. I'm really glad we went in there. I'll remember this place." And even if you find one where the food isn't any good it's usually worth it just for the experience and for now knowing where not to go. The former experience is of course preferable to the latter but they're both fun.

If you have read some of my other posts on the food forums you may have the opinion that I am unrealistic in my treatment of Mexican restaurants in Thailand and Thai restaurants in the United States. Perhaps I am being overly hard to please but I just can't help believe that they can be a lot better and we shouldn't have to always be disapointed. It would be great to see a Mexican restaurant in Bangkok that had Mexican people cooking the food. We both know that doesn't guarantee the food to be good but it sure would increase the chances in my opinion. As for Thai restaurants in the States (or the UK or Australia or wherever) what is needed is some Thai cooks who take pride in serving authentic renditions of the food that has made Thailand famous as one of the best culinary destinations in the world and forget about being overly "greng jai" to the customers by serving them something that has been altered to fit what you believe they want. If you're a good cook by all means prepare food that you think is good and the rest will take care of itself. But anyway....that's my two baht for whatever it's worth.

Edited by Groongthep

If anybody knows where in Ekkamai Taco Loco has been re-located, I would be very happy. I may need the exact address and building where there might be, because most Thai people obviously won't know Taco Loco. I've heard it is now near Big C, but I don't know where near Big C...

If possible can someone draw a map for me.... thanks in advance

Americans are as stubborn about the authenticity of their Mexican restaurants as the English are about their Indian restaurants. It's a touchy subject that brings out a kind of nationalism, ironic in the sense they're both defending a cuisine from a third country. :o

Very good post sabaijai. I think that maybe you are like myself in that I really enjoy the hunt for good ethnic food almost as much as I like eating it once I find it. As you have said the small Mom and Pop joints often located in some of the most out of the way places often serve the best Mexican, Thai, Middle Eastern, American or whatever type of food you are looking for depending on where you are. One of life's little pleasures begins with standing in front of some odd looking dive in a foreign place and after a lot of indecision finally mustering up the courage to go in and after ordering with trepidation finding out that the food is delicious. There is always a sense of accomplishment upon leaving one of these places when you look over at the people you went in with and say "That was great. I'm really glad we went in there. I'll remember this place." And even if you find one where the food isn't any good it's usually worth it just for the experience and for now knowing where not to go. The former experience is of course preferable to the latter but they're both fun.

If you have read some of my other posts on the food forums you may have the opinion that I am unrealistic in my treatment of Mexican restaurants in Thailand and Thai restaurants in the United States. Perhaps I am being overly hard to please but I just can't help believe that they can be a lot better and we shouldn't have to always be disapointed. It would be great to see a Mexican restaurant in Bangkok that had Mexican people cooking the food. We both know that doesn't guarantee the food to be good but it sure would increase the chances in my opinion. As for Thai restaurants in the States (or the UK or Australia or wherever) what is needed is some Thai cooks who take pride in serving authentic renditions of the food that has made Thailand famous as one of the best culinary destinations in the world and forget about being overly "greng jai" to the customers by serving them something that has been altered to fit what you believe they want. If you're a good cook by all means prepare food that you think is good and the rest will take care of itself. But anyway....that's my two baht for whatever it's worth.

I was agreeing with a lot of what you said above until you stated that ST "passed the test." Must be an incredibly easy test to pass. I maintain that Thailand does not have one good Mexican restaurant or fast food chain. And, again, I have not eaten at Miguel's in Chiang Mai......maybe Miguel's is focusing on food and not on promotional tricks.

Tequila Reef Cantina in Pattaya is pretty darn good Mexican food for Thailand. They do a fresh guacamole (which tends to run out early in the evening) and their pico de gallo is fresh and tasty as well. Margaritas are better than you'll get many places stateside. I like going in there and speaking Spanish to the help.. it really messes them up.. ha ha, just for kicks..

There is a new place in Bangkok called Mamacita's. It's been open less than 2 weeks and is just a spot of a restaurant. I only had soft shell taco's there and they were fine. The coffee stood out as being good. It's run by a Singaporean lady. It's located between Sukhumvit 15 & 19. Go up 15 to the Dream Hotel and turn right towards Asoke. It's 2 doors towards Asoke on the left.

Don't forget that Miguel's is California Style Mexican, rather than Tex Mex. For those of us who miss Mission Street Burritos, it is a Godsend, but it might not be exactly what a cowpoke from Texas is looking for. :D

Actually, I think that you and I like the same type of food.

I don't like the real fancy stuff at Chevy's type chains either (although I would love to have one in Thailand) and I would guess that you don't either - They usually have a farang chef.

I LOVE giant burritos with beans, rice, meat, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and guacamole in them that you get at little neighborhood places around California - which I would call California Mexican - but traditional burritos seem to be very small with only meat inside and I would guess that Tex Mex are similar.

Those giant burritos are definitely a California invention, rather than Mexican or Tex-Mex. You never see burritos in traditonal Tex-Mex joints in Texas/eastern New Mexico. The burrito comes from Sonora and Baja California/Baja Calif Sur, and is rarely seen outside of those three states. But in Mexico they're smaller than the average enchilada (but larger than a flauta), usually served three on a plate if in a restaurant, or if from a cart, one at a time but very cheap. The most common Mexican burritos are stuffed with machaca (dried, shredded meat) quickly fried with fresh tomatoes and onions, sometimes potatoes, so that it almost turns into a stew. In Baja California lobster burritos are somewhat common, sort of the burrito equivalent to Baja's famous fish tacos. I do like a well-made California-style burrito, and Sunrise Tacos does them to a T. Just to qualify my opinion of Sunrise Tacos, so far the only item I've tried is the burrito. Hope to pay a proper review visit soon :o

Agree with you, Groongthep, the journey is the destination, in many ways :D I try not to be too disappointed at lack of authenticity, and sometimes even appreciate the resulting innovations/fusions, whether intentional or not.

Well as a regular customer of Taco Loco, I would say that I would recommend it. Of course it isn't far as good as Taco Bell in America, but good enough. I prefer it over Sunrise Tacos which IMO sux a%$...

The guys from Taco Loco recently told me they had moved to Ekkamai near Big C.... just wanted to mention it... Gotta go there one day....

If anybody knows where in Ekkamai Taco Loco has been re-located, I would be very happy. I may need the exact address and building where there might be, because most Thai people obviously won't know Taco Loco. I've heard it is now near Big C, but I don't know where near Big C...

If possible can someone draw a map for me.... thanks in advance

Is the J-City location closed? Drove down Ekamai the other day trying to keep an eye out for it. With the traffic could not see it. Please ask the Taco Loco guys yourself.

Tequila Reef Cantina in Pattaya is pretty darn good Mexican food for Thailand.

It LOOKS fine, but they cover it with BBQ sauce to hide the lack of Mexican taste. Not up to much. :o

Agree with Ulysses G big time. If you think TRC makes Mexican food, maybe we can discuss the sale of my oceanfront property in Nevada. Having said that, they do make a burrito that you can eat......but that is not saying much. Thais eat bugs!

The problem, as I see it, and for what it is worth......is:

1) the authentic, fresh ingredients are not here in sufficient quantity (my guess is that most restaurant owners import the spices)

2) the people making "Mexican food" do not know how to make it.......they probably surfed the net to get a few recipes

3) farangs that know good Mexican food refuse to demand the real stuff......maybe if we all stop eating the crap that is presently being presented to us as Mexican food, the owners would have to get serious about making good food (again, I have never eaten at Miguel's and maybe that place in Chiang Mai is serious and doing a good job)

4) Thais, who are being introduced to "Mexican food" that isn't Mexican food, don't have any idea what the good stuff is supposed to taste or look like. It is the same with a simple hamburger.......most Thais think McDonald's makes good hamburgers.......they have never had a real, grilled hamburger like back home.

5) people are reluctant to say what they want to say on this forum because a certain sponsor is involved in the "Mexican food business"

I admire people with the courage to take a risk.......it is not easy trying to make a restaurant concept work in Thailand......I just wish the owners of the Mexican venues would get serious and start making really good Mexican food.

Perhaps the problem now is that there is not yet a critical mass of people that really do demand the real thing, these would be Americans who demand the real thing in the US (not all American Mexican food eaters do), and of course how many Mexicans have you met in Thailand?

Edited by Jingthing

Don't know what's on Ekkamai.

On Thong Lor. Inside Tops - is another outlet selling Mexican food. It is very good. Tacos - taco bell style food. Taco salad in a crispy taco shell bowl.

If you want smothered burritos look elsewhere.

Maybe, if we get lucky, Hamburger Mike will decide to build a REAL Mexican restaurant in Bangkok. He is the one who built and developed Miguel's in Chiang Mai, but when he sold it, he promised not to start any more Mexican restaurants in Chiang Mai and he kept his promise. He is also the one who started the Mike's Burgers franchise, but he sold that business long ago.

Right now, he is working on opening a roast beef and submarine sandwiches restaurant, right across the street from the original Mike's Burgers next to the Gecko Books Chang Moi branch.

If anybody in Bangkok wants to finance him - do a partnership - he might be interested as his main gripe with Mexican food seems to be that it takes constant work to keep up standards and he prefer restaurants that almost run themselves.

Bangkok is an expensive place to open a restaurant, so a partner with deep pockets who would help wth the work would possibly be welcomed. :o

Maybe, if we get lucky, Hamburger Mike will decide to build a REAL Mexican restaurant in Bangkok. He is the one who built and developed Miguel's in Chiang Mai, but when he sold it, he promised not to start any more Mexican restaurants in Chiang Mai and he kept his promise. He is also the one who started the Mike's Burgers franchise, but he sold that business long ago.

Right now, he is working on opening a roast beef and submarine sandwiches restaurant, right across the street from the original Mike's Burgers next to the Gecko Books Chang Moi branch.

If anybody in Bangkok wants to finance him - do a partnership - he might be interested as his main gripe with Mexican food seems to be that it takes constant work to keep up standards and he prefer restaurants that almost run themselves.

Bangkok is an expensive place to open a restaurant, so a partner with deep pockets who would help wth the work would possibly be welcomed. :o

As an aside.........part of the problem is having access to fresh ingredients.........I might devote a large section of farming land to growing some critical ingredients in Mexican cooking: pablano, japapeno, manzano peppers......all of which can be used fresh and dried. Anybody interested? email me

JR Great stuff. Your spelling needs work.

POBLANO Jalapeno

But I'll bet there are quite a few people interested. I would get a hold of Doug at Bourbon Street & I'll bet John at Eurogormet would also buy some. You might have a tidy little income from it.

Any chance you could could grow habanero peppers?

Thanks