EMS shipping prices up from the 1st.

JesseLeeOver

A few months ago I sent a parcel to the USA via EMS. It weighed 296 grams. Under 500g, the parcels ship at 860 baht. Today I went to send a parcel that weighs 289g. The price went from 860 baht to 2000 baht over night. I had to send the package Registered mail, which still gives a tracking number. EMS just promises to have the package leave Thailand in three days or less, then the parcel is changed to Priority mail once past customs. When sent Registered through Thai Post, and once through customs, the package is also given Priority mail service in The States.

Anyway, that's a huge price hike!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems this is all for sending things to other countries ? or did they change the prices inside Thailand too ?

You can check with my rate link above but does seem International. EMS letter 32 Baht in Thailand which is normal. Parcels also seem the same.

Seems this is all for sending things to other countries ? or did they change the prices inside Thailand too ?

You can check with my rate link above but does seem International. EMS letter 32 Baht in Thailand which is normal. Parcels also seem the same.

I checked.. and did not see a change in EMS letters that is what i normally send inside Thailand. That is why I asked.. Seems only international has changed.

Smaller Exports/Sales to many countries are now going to be really slow, or stopped because of the excess cost.

Also the Thai customs have started being more strict with the checking of the contents. Previously I used to get an odd package when they would hit me with a few hundred baht but now with the high cost of shipping plus the customs being more strict its getting expensive having items sent to Thailand.

If I get an item sent from abroad and the customs in Bangkok do not wish to provide the charges the package is sent to the main customs house that is 100km from my home. I need to go there and discuss the item and then the officer will inform me what I need to pay. Before this trip was very seldom but lately I have had to go there 3 times to get things sorted.

The building was piled high with lots of various boxes and packages and the guy told my wife that Bangkok has been instructed to start scanning more packages than they were previously doing. I guess night shift was a good time for your package to supposedly be checked.

One price box EMS to USA was THB 1400 before. Now it's THB 4800 (5kg). Up more than 300% overnight !

How will this help the struggling exports ?

Thai post ahs nothing to do with struggling exports, since exports are sent through sea and air cargo.

How much is a 5kg box EMS from USA to Thailand?

I guess the coorection was long overdue if you look at how much you pay for the same package in the other direction. Keep in mind that both directions use exact the same services between the borders..

it seems that most of the other rates are close to what they were before ,

I will have to eat the one package that I need to mail EMS and hope the other rates do not jump up too

We normally ship international small packet.

Does anyone know how ChinaPost ships so cheap ? I ordered a bunch of cheap $1-$2 stuff on Ebay yesterday from China/Hong Kong with free shipping to the USA :)May

be I need to drop ship from China , has anyone done that ?

One price box EMS to USA was THB 1400 before. Now it's THB 4800 (5kg). Up more than 300% overnight !

Thai post ahs nothing to do with struggling exports, since exports are sent through sea and air cargo.

I guess the coorection was long overdue if you look at how much you pay for the same package in the other direction. Keep in mind that both directions use exact the same services between the borders..

4800 baht for 5kg!? That would make it the most expensive EMS country. (Please proof me wrong by checking all other countries' rates). I only checked US to Thailand which is around 2400 baht for flat rate up to 20lbs, and from Netherlands to Thailand which cost around THB 1400 for 2-5kg parcel.

I will have to eat the one package that I need to mail EMS and hope the other rates do not jump up too

Does anyone know how ChinaPost ships so cheap ? I ordered a bunch of cheap $1-$2 stuff on Ebay yesterday from China/Hong Kong with free shipping to the USA :)May

Ebay shippers from China use a completely different shipping method, it's called combined shipping.

Free shipping will not by EMS, but with China Post, through an agent who has allotments to each country, which he fills with several clients combined.

That's why sometimes the shipping is fast and sometimes it takes ages, because the it is only shipped when the allotment is full.

4800 baht for 5kg!? That would make it the most expensive EMS country. (Please proof me wrong by checking all other countries' rates). I only checked US to Thailand which is around 2400 baht for flat rate up to 20lbs, and from Netherlands to Thailand which cost around THB 1400 for 2-5kg parcel.

EMS is express

2-5kg package international express mail from Netherlands to Thailand is 89.85 Euro.

http://www.postnl.nl/tarieven/tarieven-spoedservice/pakketten/?country=th

Up to 5kg express mail by USPS to Thailand is 90.95$

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10424&m=13&dpb=0&mdt=2016/01/05%2008:00&mt=24&dok=XX&dvi=100

Ebay shippers from China use a completely different shipping method, it's called combined shipping.

Free shipping will not by EMS, but with China Post, through an agent who has allotments to each country, which he fills with several clients combined.

That's why sometimes the shipping is fast and sometimes it takes ages, because the it is only shipped when the allotment is full.

anyone in Thailand offering the combined shipping like China ?

I do not need it now, but we all hope to find "THE Product" that will sell boxes everyday , and then the combined shipping would help

EMS is express

2-5kg package international express mail from Netherlands to Thailand is 89.85 Euro.

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10424&m=13&dpb=0&mdt=2016/01/05%2008:00&mt=24&dok=XX&dvi=100

The Netherlands doesn't really have EMS as such, but the priority airmail with signature is probably closest for the price I mentioned. This has a transit time of 4-6 days normally. Which is about what to expect from an EMS service. The express version is by courier and transit time is 2-3 days worldwide to major cities. As a comparison, shipping DHL Thailand to the Netherlands (door to door, so no need to drop of) is 4500 baht, and then it is delivered in 2 days max. EMS from Thailand will take at least a week, you'll have to drop it at a post office and it is even more expensive. Really weird price hike from EMS Thailand.

EMS is express

The Netherlands doesn't really have EMS as such, but the priority airmail with signature is probably closest for the price I mentioned. This has a transit time of 4-6 days normally. Which is about what to expect from an EMS service. The express version is by courier and transit time is 2-3 days worldwide to major cities. As a comparison, shipping DHL Thailand to the Netherlands (door to door, so no need to drop of) is 4500 baht, and then it is delivered in 2 days max. EMS from Thailand will take at least a week, you'll have to drop it at a post office and it is even more expensive. Really weird price hike from EMS Thailand.

I agree that prices for EMS in Thailand are very high currently, but I wouldn't be surprised if in other parts of the world the prices also rise in the near future. I know what a registered letter within my country cost, compared to one in Thailand. Before the price increase it was cheaper to send a registered letter from Thailand to my home country than it was to send one intercity overthere.

By the way, EMS is 2-3 days from Thailand to Europe, while registered mail will take 6-7 days.

Edited by TheCruncher