Dog Food

That's an excellent idea and I shall do so tomorrow. How did my 4 month old Husky become so refined?

I watched her as she carefully picked out the Eukenaba - normally she just wolfs the food down and will eat anything.

I think this says a lot for Pedigree.

That is funny. Guess I will go looking for Eukenaba. How much does it cost anyway?

It varies by size and type. I chose puppy food for large breeds - 33 pounds and it cost me 1650 baht. The pet shop sells the same for 1800 baht - where I bought my dog.

This store had 30 bags of Eukenaba and Science Diet - a very good selection from which to choose.

PP

Pet Perfect 01-3302894. On Sukumvhit Road just past Naklua Road as you travel towards Pattaya. Found bird stuff there as well - handfeeding food - supplies.

That's about a 9 hour drive for me so will look a little closer to home. :o Thanks for the price information. If anyone in Chiangmai knows what store has these brands let me know. Been buying Pedigree at Lotus and don't think they have it.

I suppose that what you feed your dog is down to why you have the dog. People who feed their dogs rice and scraps etc like me and RC have dogs that are farm dogs and are not allowed in the house or near where people are eating. People who buy pedigree dogs and good quality dog food generally live in urban areas and treat their dogs as pets.

A year ago we used to have 6 dogs and 9 puppies but the attrition rate in the country is quite high. We gave the 3 bitches away, one puppy just died for no particular reason, the puppies fought each other and the stronger ones killed the weaker ones and we now only have 1 puppy left and 2 dogs got run over.

The dogs are not pets and are useful around the place as alarm dogs and lately they have been leaving little presents for me like the odd dead rat or frog.

If we start to run low on dogs we can always go to the temple and get more free one and the temple are glad to give them away so they don't have to feed them.

Perhaps billd, but my dogs also get rice and scraps (as well as extra meat added in case the scraps arent' enough) and my dogs are not purebred. But, they are beloved pets and I want to make sure they are as healthy as possible. I have found that my dogs are not healthy on dry dog food so I no longer give it to them.

You are absolutely right: Never give them cooked bones!

For the fresh meats I go to TOPS or another good supermarket.

When not 100% sure of the quality boil it before feeding ur dogs.

Gerd

Gerd, TOPS sells dog food (frozen meat) in a stand alone freezer, often sitting somewhere out of the way. I have seen this freezer of frozen meat for dogs at several TOPS, but have passed it up as I keep thinking it is the part that nobody would eat. Is this the meat you get from TOPS, or do you go to the butcher and buy the cheaper cuts there?

Thanks,

Gerd

Hi there,

Wow, my topic :D

I feed my dogs raw already for 5 or 6 years (always forget when I started 2000 or 2001). Since I have had several other dogs on raw as well, with incredible results.

On of my best victories (if I may say) was a Great Dane pup that came to me at 5 months of age, looking like a puppet on strings. He hardly could hold himself on his fours anymore. The vet's thought calcium lack. But I thought, if that's the case, why calcium supplement does not do the trick? How come he can't absorb the calcium?

Within one month eating raw food (with lots of bones), vitamin C and homeopathic remedies, this dog started strenghtening up. And after 6 months on raw feeding he was recovered for 95%, running around and playing with many doggy friends, under which his best friend at the time, a pug :D . Unforunately the other 5% was permanent damage, but not in the least bothering the dog.

In the beginning I fed quite some chicken carcasses, thinking it contained enough meat. Until I understood that in fact Raw Meaty Bones stands for 50% bones and 50% meat.

So, nowadays I changed to whole chickens, no feathers but everything still in it, and cut those in the pieces I need for each dog per meal.

Two to three days chicken meals, then one day another animal protein (this in order to prevent allergies) whihc can be a meal containing only tripes, sparerib, or a veggie meal (50% veggies 50% fish or organ meat of pork or beef). I never give raw fish, but that is more before my dogs rather starve to death than to eat that :o

Pork can contain the Aujesky virus, although once a Chiang Mai vet told me that pigs in Thailand are vaccinated against this virus (does anybody knows about this?).

Once a dog or cat has caught this virus, it will be fatal. There is no anti-serum. However, the chance that your animal runs on the street (assuming you live in a very quiet place where hardly ever cars or bikes are passing) and is killed is higher than your animal catches the virus.

It's up to the individual owner if you want to take the chance or not.

Bones (all poultry bones but also pork bones) whether they are cooked BBQ-ed, smoked or in another way heat-processed are very dangerous to your animal. This is because the calcium hardens, making the bones very sharp one splintered.

This also counts for Thai dogs, they do not have digestive system different from pedigree dogs. There are still at high risk when given cooked bones.

Cooking of food makes that nutrients disappear or become less bio-available to the animal. The longer the heating the lower the bio-availability and the less vitamins and minerals. Enzymes, so necessary for the digestive process, will be destroyed in the cooking process.

In raw food all the goodies are in the ingredients you feed to your animal and readily available.

I buy most of the ingredients on the local market, where they also are willing to mince the organ meat for me. The veggies I put through the blender at home before mixing it with the animal protein.

Although, in the beginning I supplemented a lot, nowadays I hardly do. (over-supplementing can do harm as well)

Anyway, I have written an whole article on this subject, with feeding schedule and all. There are quite some people who have used this already

You can find this article via my profile.

In Thailand there are quite some people who are feeding their dogs Raw food already. I have heard that there even has been a forum on BARF (Bones and Raw Food) on the Pantip.com some years ago.

Pet Perfect 01-3302894. On Sukumvhit Road just past Naklua Road as you travel towards Pattaya. Found bird stuff there as well - handfeeding food - supplies.

That's about a 9 hour drive for me so will look a little closer to home. :o Thanks for the price information. If anyone in Chiangmai knows what store has these brands let me know. Been buying Pedigree at Lotus and don't think they have it.

Science Diet you can get at:

Ban Mha ka Meaw Animal Hospital on the Mahidol Road, next to Chiang Mai land

In Ran Raksat Overseas Petshop in the parking lot of Airport Plaza or in their shop between Carrefour and MAkro

Dr. Nook Animal Hospital on the Chang Klan road

The two Ran Raksat Overseas Petshop branches sell as well:

Nutro

Premium Edge

Eukanuba

Chicken Soup for The Dog Lovers

and many other brands but of medium grade and low grade.

OK, the consensus seems to be people food (albeit it raw) over dry dog food. I am still comfortable with Eukanuba, but will also give raw meats a try, at least for the golden. As stated before, our poodle hybrid is beyond redemption and will only eat what we eat.

Neinke, specifically, thanks for the info on pork. Better to be safe than sorry, since these dogs rely on us.

Gerd

Gerd, TOPS sells dog food (frozen meat) in a stand alone freezer, often sitting somewhere out of the way. I have seen this freezer of frozen meat for dogs at several TOPS, but have passed it up as I keep thinking it is the part that nobody would eat. Is this the meat you get from TOPS, or do you go to the butcher and buy the cheaper cuts there?

Thanks,

Have never seen(here in TOPS Phuket)the dog's meat freezer, will have a look tomorrow.

I'll get some meat from TOPS and some from MAKRO.

Beef heart from the local market.

Most of the time my wife is shopping for the dogs food and she takes always the best she can find :D

She is eating plain rice topped with a fried egg and for the dogs she feeds a gourmet menu.

But they love each other and I am very happy to see them together playing in the garden.

For my wife it's the first time in her live to find a real friend(apart from me :o ) and someone she can trust and they trust and protect her.

Gerd

Hi there,

Wow, my topic :D

I feed my dogs raw already for 5 or 6 years (always forget when I started 2000 or 2001). Since I have had several other dogs on raw as well, with incredible results.

On of my best victories (if I may say) was a Great Dane pup that came to me at 5 months of age, looking like a puppet on strings. He hardly could hold himself on his fours anymore. The vet's thought calcium lack. But I thought, if that's the case, why calcium supplement does not do the trick? How come he can't absorb the calcium?

Within one month eating raw food (with lots of bones), vitamin C and homeopathic remedies, this dog started strenghtening up. And after 6 months on raw feeding he was recovered for 95%, running around and playing with many doggy friends, under which his best friend at the time, a pug :D . Unforunately the other 5% was permanent damage, but not in the least bothering the dog.

In the beginning I fed quite some chicken carcasses, thinking it contained enough meat. Until I understood that in fact Raw Meaty Bones stands for 50% bones and 50% meat.

So, nowadays I changed to whole chickens, no feathers but everything still in it, and cut those in the pieces I need for each dog per meal.

Two to three days chicken meals, then one day another animal protein (this in order to prevent allergies) whihc can be a meal containing only tripes, sparerib, or a veggie meal (50% veggies 50% fish or organ meat of pork or beef). I never give raw fish, but that is more before my dogs rather starve to death than to eat that :D

Pork can contain the Aujesky virus, although once a Chiang Mai vet told me that pigs in Thailand are vaccinated against this virus (does anybody knows about this?).

Once a dog or cat has caught this virus, it will be fatal. There is no anti-serum. However, the chance that your animal runs on the street (assuming you live in a very quiet place where hardly ever cars or bikes are passing) and is killed is higher than your animal catches the virus.

It's up to the individual owner if you want to take the chance or not.

Bones (all poultry bones but also pork bones) whether they are cooked BBQ-ed, smoked or in another way heat-processed are very dangerous to your animal. This is because the calcium hardens, making the bones very sharp one splintered.

This also counts for Thai dogs, they do not have digestive system different from pedigree dogs. There are still at high risk when given cooked bones.

Cooking of food makes that nutrients disappear or become less bio-available to the animal. The longer the heating the lower the bio-availability and the less vitamins and minerals. Enzymes, so necessary for the digestive process, will be destroyed in the cooking process.

In raw food all the goodies are in the ingredients you feed to your animal and readily available.

I buy most of the ingredients on the local market, where they also are willing to mince the organ meat for me. The veggies I put through the blender at home before mixing it with the animal protein.

Although, in the beginning I supplemented a lot, nowadays I hardly do. (over-supplementing can do harm as well)

Anyway, I have written an whole article on this subject, with feeding schedule and all. There are quite some people who have used this already

You can find this article via my profile.

In Thailand there are quite some people who are feeding their dogs Raw food already. I have heard that there even has been a forum on BARF (Bones and Raw Food) on the Pantip.com some years ago.

As usual great comments from Nienke, thanks a lot :D

May be I should take my wife and dogs and move to Chiang Mai.

We could open a nice dog restaurant :D together.

I am pretty sure it would be a success, here in Phuket it's sometimes difficult to find a nice place

where you can have a dinner(for us human beings) and take your dogs with you.

Reminds me at a funny story some months ago:

We've had a nice beach walk at sunset with Max and on our way home we got hungry when I spotted a nice seafood restaurant at the beach.

I was waiting with Max in the car in the parking area and my wife went to ask if it's ok to take our dog with us, They said"yes no problem".

As I came out of the car with Max approaching a table(outside arae) they came to us and said:

"But you said it's a dog......... :o ".

But at the end it was a nice evening many kids came and enjoyed playing with Max.

Gerd