Bangkok to Khon Kaen best route by car

thailoneus

H,

Looking for guidance driving from BKK to KK. I am from Phuket, so not familiar with BKK.

Yes, we have to make a stop in BKK.

From the map, from BKK......

I head towards Ayuthaya, but turn East on Route 2 (AH12) to Saraburi, on to Korat, and KK.

Looks simple enough, but would like confirmation/advice on this.

Thanks.

The guy who mentioned Sat Nav may be onto something.

I am sitting here in Udon after a 12 hour drive from Hua Hin via Hwy 4, Hwy 35, and finally Hwy 9 (AH2).

I spent at least an hour, maybe two, flummoxed in BKK going around in circles. That's because the directional signs are terrible. When you finally find Hwy 9 it just disappears eventually, and you are on AH2, which then disappears, leaving you on Hwy 1 until you finally join Hwy 2. It is not a piece of cake.

Also: From Udon to Krabi and back I encountered 2 police checkpoints: both in Khon Kaen. I passed thru the first one, was fined 300 baht at the second, for speeding. Which it BS. They just pull over people at random and extort them.

You will need good luck...

You got it right, very straightforward drive. After Saraburi follow the signs for Nakhon Ratchasima then it's signposted Khon Kaen, piece of cake.

Yes, very straight forward drive, except make sure that as you approach Korat city (near SaveOne), you look out for the sign left to Khon Kaen, which will take you to the bypass. If you miss that, you will get mired in city traffic in town. If traffic is not too bad, from BKK, you will reach the bypass in Korat in 3-3.5 hours, from there, it's another 2.5-3 hours to KK.

very very easy, onto highway 1 then just before saraburi you take the first junction onto highway 2 to korat then khon kaen. stay on , go straight. i can do it in 5 hours.

as keemapoot has told you, be carefull coming into korat, just before korat on outskirts of city look carefully for the slip road to the left that follows khon kaen highway no2. if you miss this road it could cost you an hours drive to get back onto it and a bit of a headache. i have missed it a couple of times myself even though i have travelled this route regularly.

Edited by dirtycash

Where's your starting point in Bkk? If you're in central or eastern BKK you can go one way and back the other way for variety.

Option 1.

Get on Route 1 (near the Beer Chang brewery)..continue north-east through Wangnoi..continue to Saraburi [the old way was stay on route 1 and it turns in to Route 2 right in Saraburi and go through Saraburi..the new way turns off route 1 just before Saraburi on the bypass and connects to route 2 just after Saraburi)..continue northeast on Route 2..through Mueklek..pass Pakchong and Khai Yai..at Lamthakong dam if you have thai with you stop for snack/meal (you'll see loads of restaurants in a row on the water front)..continue..before khorat take the bypass road around khorat. .continue on route 2..stop off in Phimai..continue on Route 2 to KK.

Option 2

Take the road from Bkk east pass the airport..follow 314 road to Chachoengsao. .at Chachoengsao take 304...stay on 304 through kabinburi..just before khorat you'll join the khorat bypass.. (follow from khorat as above).

We've recently being using option 2 as we're so bored of going the usual way (option 1).

Edited by Bredbury Blue

You have the direct route, though at times it is when you travel that will make a difference in on road time.

2 hours to Saraburi, another 2 to Ratchasima and 2 and half to KK is a good drive rate with no hassles. You may double that.

I would drive at night if you trust the way and your ability.

Where's your starting point in Bkk? If you're in central or eastern BKK you can go one way and back the other way for variety.

Getting out of Bangkok will indeed be the biggest headache.

When approaching Saraburi don't miss the bypass through #362.

Exists for a couple of years but it took Google maps quite a while to show up.

And have a damn good look to the Thai holiday calendar when planning a trip.

Otherwise Bangkok - Khon Kaen (or vice versa) will be a bumper to bumper experience with 4 lanes on a 3 lane road etc.

Absolutely crazy.

Picture of route #2 from last Sunday, a day not to travel!

(opposite direction of course)

CXxGXhSUMAI5fqK.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

I guess the OP has good reason to use the car(?), else use one of 11 flights daily from BKK/DMK to KKC.

Yes I agree but becomes a tad expensive diffrennce is we went on to pattaya so all in all round trip flight taxis both ends there and back 14000 bht or there abouts that's for 4 people verses 700bht deisel money 30 bht toll fare.

Sorry, I have deleted the hint about flights after re-reading.

For a group of people traveling by car beats flying price-wise of course.

Are you happy enough to have a second driver?

Even a one day from Phuket to Bangkok is quite exhausting.

Edited by KhunBENQ

^Yeah, I agree that is exhausting. Even if you know the route very well from Phuket to Bangkok (and you're very comfortable with the tollway system etc.), it's still 12 hours (or 10 if you know how) from Phuket to BKK, and then another 6 to KK (unless you get stuck for 3 hours in BKK traffic), so, 18 hours is a killer even if you know every part of the route.

You got it right, very straightforward drive. After Saraburi follow the signs for Nakhon Ratchasima then it's signposted Khon Kaen, piece of cake.

Once you get to Saraburi it is easy. Getting to Saraburi is the hard part.

^Yeah, I agree that is exhausting. Even if you know the route very well from Phuket to Bangkok (and you're very comfortable with the tollway system etc.), it's still 12 hours (or 10 if you know how) from Phuket to BKK, and then another 6 to KK (unless you get stuck for 3 hours in BKK traffic), so, 18 hours is a killer even if you know every part of the route.

I agree KK to Pattaya 7.5 hrs on a good day but we split it now we carry a tent yes tent found a place to camp for night safe and secure won't go into details where as it won't be so secure then. But it works for us as we are in no hurry.

Anyway OP hope you have a safe and good drive.

Edited by Sutty

Folks,

Thanks so much for the great input. This is what I love the TVF for.

The tips on the bypass roads for Saraburi and Korat are appreciated.

Yes, I have a cam.

My wife can assist in driving, but I am never comfortable with it :)

The dog always goes with us, and some local travel in BKK and KK dictated driving vs. flying.

I am not rushing the trip. Phuket to BKK, we always stop in Prachuap or Petchaburi for a night.

Much appreciated.

Continuing straight at Sara Buri ( instead of heading to Nahkon Ratchasima ) on Route 21 through Phetchabun until you reach Lomsak.

Turn right at Lomsak, the road over the mountains to KK from there is definately worth the drive, quite stunning scenery.

Thanks.