• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Russian man charged for fatal big bike slam into Chinese tourist

webfact

Doesn't seem to be a ped crossing anywhere. Even with a major housing complex right there. Hard to miss somebody crossing the street. Unless you were going over the speed limit. Which I think is 50km there? Does anybody know?

Possibly going too fast to stop in the distance that his lights offered visibility. Eg. the bike's lights offer visibility 40 meters ahead. You can stop in time if doing,say, 60 kmph. At 90 kmph, by the time you see the pedestrian, you do not have enough time / road to stop, because the stopping distance at 90 kmph maybe, say, 60 meters.

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pedestrian crossings here are a joke. No lights and a total lack of respect for pedestrians by motorists.

I agree but really nothing to do with this story. Hard to say who was at fault although my feeling is Russian on a big bike was speeding.

'Who was at fault'???? In the UK, among other civilised countries, the PEDESTRIAN comes first! Never mind the DELETED get out clause 'jaywalking'. You are a 'soft machine'. Other road users, whether it be bike or car, should ALWAYS be looking out for YOU blink.png

I cannot believe your xenophobic comment. For one, you're not in the UK. Second, in "some" civilized societies the DRIVER has the right of way because in THEIR -- not my -- thinking pedestrians are seen as more nimble than a driver and are expected to look first anyway. I could be just as culturally biased and say in some "civilized" countries, ppl drive on the RIGHT. But then, that would be my bias.

A better example I found on the internet:

"People who read English often assume that it is natural to scan a visual field from left to right and from top to bottom. In the United States it is typical for the "on" position of a toggle switch to be "up", whereas in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand it is "down." Also, in these countries, North is the top of a map, up is usually the larger quantity and better, as well. As another example, Japanese do not place an X in a check-box to indicate acceptancethis indicates refusal."

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

- Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz.

"In the United States it is typical for the "on" position of a toggle switch to be "up", whereas in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand it is "down.""

Yep! The number of times I've found the damn bathroom light on in the morning because the switch is "upside down" to my way of thinking... rolleyes.gif