Been coming to ban Chang for 5 years now

chrisandsu

Been coming here for 5 years now and been thoroughly impressed with the progress of the town . The roads are getting better and there is enough restaurants and nightlife to keep me going . I have travelled all over Thailand the last week and was really glad to get back to ban Chang !! I hope it continues to improve as I really want to live here one day full time . The people for the most part are really nice as well . Basically I'm just giving a shout out for a little diamond in the rough ?

Been living here 10 years now and yes it has changed a lot, mostly for the better.

Didn't even have Lotus 10 years ago. Now we even have Pizza Company deliveryrolleyes.gif

Better to not mention the Tesco(lotus), as I've mentioned on previous posts, it is probably the worst in Thailand, that is why many of the Farangs in Ban Chang prefer to do their shopping in Rayong or Pattaya.

Completely agree about Ban Chang Tesco it's the worst one I've ever visted, narrow product range and poor stock control systems. In my 10 years its definately improved with more restaurants springing up and deli's stocking some of the food that expats want.

Agree Lotus here is not the best one and the one in Rayong is going downhill also.

You'd think that with a large expat community in BC, the Tesco Lotus franchise here would raise their game a bit, no?

Tbh, I'd rather patronize smaller shops and local supermarkets here if I know I can get similar foodstuffs and related items at reasonable prices.

Too many Tesco and 7/11's already.

Agree Lotus here is not the best one and the one in Rayong is going downhill also.

I note correctly no one even bothers to mention the disgrace that is the one in Sattahip

Cannot understand the design concept for the Tesco in Satahip and even more so for the one in Ban Chang. It's as if Tesco H/O were not sure whether to open a full size store or not,before finally deciding on half rate Units.

When I compare these units to those elsewhere in Thailand, be it in the far north Nong Bua Lampo.Udon Thani, Chang Mai through to those in the south such as Hat Yai, they just simple do not compare. Anybody any idea why they choose this design?

Think both of them opened in existing buildings.

Not sure about Sattahip but if I remember correct there was a cinema before.

Banchang is in the old Easter Star Plaza which was empty at that time. Eastern Star built the parking house for Tesco Lotus and leased to them.

Maybe it's Tesco Lotus way of supporting the Mom & Pop shops. What is finished in the shop have to be found in the small shops laugh.png

There still is a movie theater on the second floor of the Lotus in Sattahip

I really question whether or not there is any "corporate" involvement at any Tesco's in Thailand. How could corporate allow such lousy stocking or appearance of any of their stores. I think that the store managers are so busy making side deals with all the outside vendors they don't even pay attention. Just look at how the manager at the Tesco South store allowed a mattress vendor to set up and block the side walk leading to the South parking lot, thus forcing patron's to push their carts on the roadway facing traffic

Never have I seen a "suit" touring a Tesco with a manger in tow like you see in large chain stores in the West

Everytime you come back to BanChang yes there is a new restaurant or new restaurants, there has to be because 90% of them are never maintained. Some are looked after and the standards are kept, but not many. Most go by the wayside and are closed or change hands only for the same mistakes to be repeated.

Most never replace worn out/broken chairs and tables etc and the menus only seem to have deletions and never new dishes. The concept of having a few dishes that are particular to the restaurant and other dishes that are introduced and tried, kept or rejected doesn't exist in most of them.

I would say that most, not all, have people cooking who have never had any training at all and are just good at a few local dishes, call themselves cooks/chefs and cook stuff the way their mother showed them. With the Thai food it's a case of if it doesn't taste alright throw in more chili.

Only one or two places can cook western food well and they have been in BanChang for a long time. Most of the Thai restaurants are jumped up road side cafes.

maybe Ban Chang needs a lot more people, more shops, discos and bars ...

how would you like that !! gigglem.gif

Why on earth would I like more shops, discos and bars.? Would that improve the restaurants?

well you could go to the bar before the restaurant, then the disco ... more expats would come and live there then more street food then more motorbike taxis then a busy market then a bus station.

I'd take Banchang 12 years ago. took a lot to get me here as I was a pattaya man. But loved the first few years here. Anyone remember the market where lotus is now. Beat anything pattaya had to offer. KFC LOTUS and pizza delivery just don't do it for me.

Just my humble opinion

I'd take Banchang 12 years ago. took a lot to get me here as I was a pattaya man. But loved the first few years here. Anyone remember the market where lotus is now. Beat anything pattaya had to offer. KFC LOTUS and pizza delivery just don't do it for me.

Just my humble opinion

That would be the Star market that Tesco converted and now I believe rent for just 80,000 per month.

I guess you could be right on many of your points , but I think nearly everywhere in Thailand has a poor maintenance issue . They tend to see things a little different to us . From

My view a few of the places are really trying , also I tend to like Thai food in the short term maybe if I lived here longer I might seek out western food a bit more . The positives to me would be the resurfacing of roads at long last ! The people are not caught in the tourist industry like other places ! The cost of everyday goods is certainly cheaper then pattaya ! Land and houses are also more affordable ! Crime is not very high due to strong local economy ! Sometimes we have to look a bit deeper for positives which I think I have seen on this trip .

• 3 weeks later...

There still is a movie theater on the second floor of the Lotus in Sattahip

I really question whether or not there is any "corporate" involvement at any Tesco's in Thailand. How could corporate allow such lousy stocking or appearance of any of their stores. I think that the store managers are so busy making side deals with all the outside vendors they don't even pay attention. Just look at how the manager at the Tesco South store allowed a mattress vendor to set up and block the side walk leading to the South parking lot, thus forcing patron's to push their carts on the roadway facing traffic

Never have I seen a "suit" touring a Tesco with a manger in tow like you see in large chain stores in the West

I agree .

The place is a mess. Boxes in the aisles and just a mess. My last visit may be my last. The Big C in Pattaya on Central, and the ones in Rayong for me in the future.

Been coming here for 7 years for short visits but in the past 2 years been here for long vists, and so I have seen the light on these longer visits.

The second floor seems more organized vs the main floor which is just a mess.

I can get better beer selection at other places and the same for many other products.

Archived