Internet On The Move

Moonfruit

How would i go about getting online while out and about by using my cellphone as a modem?

Ive seen others doing it, and it would be great to be able to use GPRS to check my emails.

Im guessing i would connect by bluetooth, and im using a mac if that makes any difference. For those who know how to do it on Windoze, an explanation would be great also as i have an XP laptop too.

I have a broadband True connection at home. Would i need to use any username and passowrd from there?

Thanks all

You can use either Bluetooth (if your laptop has Bluetooth also), or most cellphones can be connected to your laptop by a usb data cable.

Your True broadband connection details are different than that of your GPRS provider. For example, Dtac provides GPRS on demand for prepay customers, as well as an on-account GPRS option for a fixed fee per month.

Cheers Kiwi.

Where would i get the GPRS setting for AIS, GSM. Im a monthly subscriber, not One 2 call.

all you need to do is set up a bluetooth modem.

so you add your phone as a BT device and on both mac and windows you have the option of setting it up as a bluetooth modem (which means it will be using GPRS).

you have to have the data plan enabled - an option that costs anywhere from 300 - 1000 baht per month, but seems to be getting cheaper.

I am using DTAC GPRS on both mac and windows (I carry two laptops around, too... sorta defeats the purpose, but... what's your excuse? :o )

there are settings for telephone number, username and password. you don't need user/pass, but you need a special telephone number which depends on your cellphone. for example, I have a Nokia 6600 and it's *99# for the phone number. i am sure you can find this info on the internet, but AIS can tell you.

once you have set it up, it appears in Network Connections (windows) and you can change the options so a simple double-click connects.

On mac, it's treated like a normal modem (BTW need to set Nokia Infrared Modem for protocol on Mac). It appears in the Internet connections and in the modem dropdown...

An important thing to remember: Never enter sleep/suspend mode while the Bluetooth GPRS connection is connected - always disconnect manually first. In my experience, on both windows and mac, the BT connection can "hang" when you go to sleep so when you come back you can't connect anymore and have to restart the machine in order to use GPRS again. doesn't happen every time but often enough to be annoying.

Step 1 is to add a GPRS data plan of your choice to your postpaid plan. Then try it and if you have trouble let me know...

PS if EDGE is available in your area then a class 10 EDGE/GPRS device is recommended, it will be a lot faster.

Edited by nikster

Cheers Kiwi.

Where would i get the GPRS setting for AIS, GSM. Im a monthly subscriber, not One 2 call.

Dial 1175 from your mobile, press 2 for an English-speaking CSR. They can talk you through the various plans and promotions, and email you detailed instructions. As a 1-2-Call pre-paid subscriber I pay 107 baht per month (recurring) for 25 hours of GPRS access. I am pretty sure they would offer post-paid subcribers the same options (there are ~ 12 or so packages available). I have to say that their GPRS service is really good, for me anyway.

I use a Nokia 6070, which has IR and is GPRS-capable, with Nokia PC-Suite on an IBM T41, also with IR. Nokia PC-Suite offers zero configuration (after having chosen AIS from the drop-down menu), and "one-click" access to the Internet. It even works on a moving bus in remote areas. I usually get ~ 8 kB/s (60 kb/s) as measured by the bandwidth meter at www dot adslthailand dot com.

Cheers Kiwi.

all you need to do is set up a bluetooth modem.

so you add your phone as a BT device and on both mac and windows you have the option of setting it up as a bluetooth modem (which means it will be using GPRS).

you have to have the data plan enabled - an option that costs anywhere from 300 - 1000 baht per month, but seems to be getting cheaper.

I am using DTAC GPRS on both mac and windows (I carry two laptops around, too... sorta defeats the purpose, but... what's your excuse? :o )

there are settings for telephone number, username and password. you don't need user/pass, but you need a special telephone number which depends on your cellphone. for example, I have a Nokia 6600 and it's *99# for the phone number. i am sure you can find this info on the internet, but AIS can tell you.

once you have set it up, it appears in Network Connections (windows) and you can change the options so a simple double-click connects.

On mac, it's treated like a normal modem (BTW need to set Nokia Infrared Modem for protocol on Mac). It appears in the Internet connections and in the modem dropdown...

An important thing to remember: Never enter sleep/suspend mode while the Bluetooth GPRS connection is connected - always disconnect manually first. In my experience, on both windows and mac, the BT connection can "hang" when you go to sleep so when you come back you can't connect anymore and have to restart the machine in order to use GPRS again. doesn't happen every time but often enough to be annoying.

Step 1 is to add a GPRS data plan of your choice to your postpaid plan. Then try it and if you have trouble let me know...

PS if EDGE is available in your area then a class 10 EDGE/GPRS device is recommended, it will be a lot faster.

Great answer, and exactly what i needed, thanks very muchly for your advice!

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I am using a Nokia 6600 and Mac OS X and trying to get DTAC prepaid to work as a gprs modem... I got this all to work a couple of years ago so i bileave all my computer settings are correct... My problem is on the phone side... When i try to dial *99# (or *99***# or *99***1# as sugested bt DTAC CallCenter) directly from the nokia 6600 without any computer connected i always get "Request not compleated"...

If i try to dial with the computer i get varried results but all end up in no connection the result depends on the the connection script i use...

With "Nokia Infared" i get up to authenticating user then disconect and error message...

"Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again."

With GPRS scripts i got from HERE i only get Contacting PPP Server before disconect and error...

Could not open the communication device.

With GSM scripts witch are soposed to be used to dial an actual number like a dial up number and connect at 14k speeds react the same as if i use infared...

My main problem i think is with the phone side i SHOULD be able to dial *99# or whatever directly from the phone and get something else besides "Request not compleated" if i remember correctly...

DTAC call center really is no help and i think i might have to drag my laptop and all into the center at Sri Ratcha from Pattaya with may result in nothing as well so if any one can help please what is going on...

Ok i had to drag my computer and my phone down to the DTAC office in Sri Ratcha...

After watching the rep fumble around with my settings for about a half an hour on both OS X and XP she finaly got out her phone and it connected right up...

Then a lightbulb went off somewhere near the top of my knoggin...

Although i recived the settings sms messages from DTAC and applied them it did not change my GPRS Acesss Point and was still wap.tmobile or something like that...

She changed mine to www.dtac.co.th and everything is fine...

Note that it is the Access point under the Settings>Connection>GPRS...

R

I have my phone (nokia 6260) set up on my notebook (iBook G4) using DTAC GPRS without any problems. You need to download the modem scripts though. I have them and if anyone wants them, I can email them to you.

You then set up your computer to use Nokia GPRS 57.6k and leave all the details blank except for the telephone number. In place of a telephone number use wap.djuice.co.th, you need to have GPRS set up on your phone first for this to work.

Guys I have a Gprs sim card in my air card attached to the computer it works fine, I need to buy a phone and put this sim card in when I'm driving around, if I take this sim card and put into the phone do just dial up the same, and what do I need to set on the phone.

Simply phone your cellular service providers help line and ask them to send you the GPRS settings, they will ask you the make and model of your phone and a few minutes later you will recieve an sms containing the settings, save the setttings, restart your phone and you are good to go.

Fellas, had this from AIS this morning

Subject : GPRS and E-mail Service

Thank you very much for your information and your continuous support of our services. We are pleased to fulfil your enquiry and provide you with following information.

With regard to your e-mail, we would like to inform you that the GPRS is the service which allow you to browsing the internet through your mobile phone or using as a device with computer. The speed of GPRS is 40 kbps (if it is work in its full capacity). AIS automatically add the gprs service for all customer including your number. Therefore, you will be able to use the service after setting your phone and you can inform us the brand and model of your cell phone that we can send you a setting information. The gprs rate is 1 baht/min (excluding VAT) and the available gprs roaming countries with the rates is in file attached.

There is 2 way to use the e-mail service on phone

1. Access e-mail on mobile phone by using e-mail POP3. To do this the phone must support the POP3 e-mail service in which we can check for you. If the phone does support POP3 e-mail, you can do the setting on the phone. The rate is 1 baht/min since it is browsing through GPRS service.

2. Using E-mail2MMS, the service which will allow you to send the mms to mobile by e-mail in a form of multimedia message. Once the customer subscribed the service the defaults e-mail address is [email protected] and the address can be changed to the own name later (e.g [email protected])

MMS E-mail Charge:

30 baht/month

6 baht/mms transaction

Free of charge for the customer who have the MMS Package (more information *138)

Remark : if you apply one of mms packages, the 30 baht E-mail2MMS monthly charge will be exempted.

Description (excludingVAT)

Duration

MMS(Local

5 MMS Fix charge 25 Baht

Expired on 31/10/06

12 MMS Fix charge 50 Baht

Expired on 31/10/06

30 MMS Fix charge 100 Baht

Expired on 31/10/06

As we have mentioned above that your sim card has already been activated the GPRS service, therefore, you can access the internet on your mobile phone or use it as a device without having other sim card. However, if you would like to use the call service and internet at the same time, we would like to inform you a multi sim card which allows you to have more than one SIMcard in use for data services at the same time with the same number. It works by providing one main SIMcard and up to four additional multi SIMcards. The service available on the main SIMcard are as follows:

Voice Call

Send and receive SMS

International Call and International Roaming service

Other value added service that have been applied.

While the main SIMcard has been activated for a voice call, the services available for a multi SIM are

Surfing the internet via GPRS

Using TV on mobile

The multi SIMcards can be used for internet service at the same time.

Therefore, you will be able to active SIMcard in your phone as the main SIMcard first and change the status of the multi SIMcard on the other phone as the main SIMcard when needed. The service number are as follows:

To change the status to main SIMcard, dial *100# form the need SIMcard. On the screen will show "This SIM card is successfully activated".

The check the status of the SIMcard, dial *101#. If the certain SIMcard is the main one, on the screen will show "This SIMCard is active" In the other hand, if it is the multi SIM, will show "This SIMcard is inactive. Please dial*100# for activation.

The international roaming service is enable in the main SIMcard only as well as changing or checking its status. We would like to recommend that you can check the status of the SIMcard brought with you whether it is a main SIMcard or multi SIMcard before you leave Thailand.

The multi SIMcard service will be finish if:

Change for GSM Advance Number to One-2-Call

Change the owner

Disconnect the number (either by the system or customer request)

The Multi SIMcard is available at Serenade club and Telewiz. The price is 350 baht/card with free 2 GPRS hours per each month for total 3 months.

Documents need are as follows:

1. To apply the multi SIMcard with the same phone number

Passport

2. To apply the multi SIMcard with the new mobile number

Passport

Work Permit

Letter of evidence from company or embassy (mentioned the current working place)

GPRS and other Value Added Service Packages are Available as follows:

Description (excludingVAT)

Duration

SMS(Local)

10 SMS Package Fix charge 15 Baht

24 bill Cycles

50 SMS Package Fix charge 50 Baht

24 bill Cycles

120 SMS Package Fix charge 100 Baht

24 bill Cycles

200 SMS Package Fix charge 150 Baht

24 bill Cycles

GPRS (Local)

4 hrs Fix charge 30 Baht

24 bill Cycles

10 hrs Fix charge 50 Baht

24 bill Cycles

25 hrs Fix charge 100 Baht

24 bill Cycles

60 hrs Fix charge 200 Baht

24 bill Cycles

120 hrs Fix charge 350 Baht

24 bill Cycles

200 hrs Fix charge 500 Baht

24 bill Cycles

400 hrs Fix charge 900 Baht

24 bill Cycles

MMS(Local

5 MMS Fix charge 25 Baht

Expired on 31/10/06

12 MMS Fix charge 50 Baht

Expired on 31/10/06

30 MMS Fix charge 100 Baht

Expired on 31/10/06

To subscribe, please dial *138 or contact 1175.

If there should be any concerns or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact AIS Serenade Call Center 1148 or 02-271-900 or e-mail us at [email protected] 24 hours a day.

Simply phone your cellular service providers help line and ask them to send you the GPRS settings, they will ask you the make and model of your phone and a few minutes later you will recieve an sms containing the settings, save the setttings, restart your phone and you are good to go.

Norrad, what you say is valid for accessing the Internet directly from the mobile phone.

However, in order to access the Internet from my laptop computer through my mobile phone, I must set up a pseudo dial-up connection on the laptop, with username, password and dial-up number but insert a code, which usually starts with an asterisk (*), as the dial-up number instead of a real phone number.

Of course, at the same time the mobile phone must also be configured for GPRS, in the manner you have outlined.

---------------

Maestro

I'm not sure how you would do it on a windows pc, but here are 2 screens of my settings. Works like a charm.

I had no need to use a special number as upon initialization of the connection, my iBook looks for the access point name on my phone (wap.djuice.co.th) and activates the connection.

post-18203-1162047633_thumb.jpg

post-18203-1162047647_thumb.jpg