Scary Laos Visa Run Today 15/10/06 Be Careful

I always found the male Laos immigration people very surly and one of them looked ready to kill me for some reason - the guy in front of me had loudly complained about the length of the queue and been smiled through!

If you take a Thai girl with you expect every horrid Laos runt to try to come on to her, BTW, and I would not trust 'em as far as you could throw them.

If you look at the anti-farang laws in force in Laos, then it is no surprise that they can turn nasty on a whim.

I gave up on Laos a couple of years ago and have done Mae Sai (Burmese immigration were always very friendly and efficient) when in Chiang Mai and, when in Bangkok, Singapore via airplane as there are now excellent budget hotels and cheap flights.

Suggest that a widespread boycot of Laos by visa runners would get them where it hurts - their pocket. Simply don't accept this nonsense. They need the tourist dollar more than we need the hassle.

That's funny because it was a Thai Immi guy in Sadao who made the moves on my gf her 1st time leaving the country when she was just 19 back in early '04. He tried to get her phone number, not nice esp. being in a authoritative position

anyhow, the moral of this story is don't lie to immi officials and you should be fine. I don't blame the Laos officers in the least in this case as they knew the OP was lying

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting post - i went through in may for a few days in vientianne and on both the way in and the way out the Laos officials ripped off the thais more than the foreigners. And the thais just did waht they were told by the Lao officials - much to the benefit of the Laos naturally.

As a first timer the process of filling in forms and paying was a bit conusing and appeared to be non-certain - still it is relatively straight forward and once you have done it would be easy to do a second time, so long as it stays the same.

When you wait at the first part there is a Laos official who can help explain things if you ask and she feels like helping. When i was there, the instructions are not good. Best advice is to get USD before as this is the cheapest option.

If you go with a thai and they get a border pass - be very careful about this as coming back ulnless it is marked for the duration of the stay in Laos (Vientianne only), the Lao will fine 400 baht a day over the first day spent (be very careful about this). Also the ticket for coming into Laos is onlt for the Thais - foreigners who have a visa do not need to but the "entry ticket" for 50baht (i think).

HTH

What's your problem? You are supposed to fill the forms in yourself. If you don't, you may or may not get caught. Yes, the officials can be harsh sometimes, when you brake or bend the rules. If they weren't, they wouldn't get much attention, would they?

I think a lot of punters forget that Laos is a communist state. Personally I'd recommend staying away from Laos and Burma and conduct visa proceedings in Malaysia...with Cambodia as a second choice.

You are clueless.......... I bet you have never been to either Laos or Burma have you??? But yet you offer an opinion. For your information I have found Laos to be a lot more tourist friendly than Thailand, I don’t get scammed for money by the police and the immigration department in Vientiane are very polite and helpful and will assist you (without a bribe) to obtain both extensions and long term visas to stay in Laos (a thing of the past in Thailand). Malaysia is more expensive and a pain in the arse to travel to as the closest Thai embassy to the border is 2 hours traveling. I think you have been watching too much western propaganda on TV about communism…… but then that’s why “democratic” governments say what they do about communism to make SHEEP like you form unfounded opinions. Look how well communism works in Singapore, one of the best standards of living in Asia.

One thing I don't understand is if the op is married and has a child why not get a one year extension from Thai immigration for support of a Thai family instead of going on visa runs?

Barry

This is at least the 2nd time this question has been asked in this thread. I will come to the defense of the OP on this one. Obviously he has his reasons: whether not qualified financially or other reasons. I'm going to guess that he knows what it takes to get that visa. I'm sure he'll answer the question in here at some point

Useful information(if true as the OP put it).

Last month I did accompany a friend to NongKhai for a visa run,he was inexpert,so he used the services of an Agency;they offered to bring me over in the car to.So without passport or any other document I exited Thailand,went over the bridge,DIDN'T enter Lao,bought same cases of Beerlao in the Freeshop, and many cartoons of cigs came back to Thailand with the booty.Mai pen rai!

Next time will be more careful(or I'll let a lao policeman accompany me).

Never had any problem in Lao,but 35$ for the b***dy Visa is rally too expensive! :o

Excellent well written story you should save that for your book about thailand !

Can really relate to such a nighmare of being stuck between countries.

One thing I cannot relate to however is why would anyone use an agent for any of these simple border visa procedures.

Its so easy to just do it yourself also.... telling the truth is usually the best policy under all circumstances especially when dealing with police. Sounds like you really learned a lesson here good thing you were dealing with compassionate female lao police.

I think a lot of punters forget that Laos is a communist state. Personally I'd recommend staying away from Laos and Burma and conduct visa proceedings in Malaysia...with Cambodia as a second choice.

You are clueless.......... I bet you have never been to either Laos or Burma have you??? But yet you offer an opinion. For your information I have found Laos to be a lot more tourist friendly than Thailand, I don’t get scammed for money by the police and the immigration department in Vientiane are very polite and helpful and will assist you (without a bribe) to obtain both extensions and long term visas to stay in Laos (a thing of the past in Thailand). Malaysia is more expensive and a pain in the arse to travel to as the closest Thai embassy to the border is 2 hours traveling. I think you have been watching too much western propaganda on TV about communism…… but then that’s why “democratic” governments say what they do about communism to make SHEEP like you form unfounded opinions. Look how well communism works in Singapore, one of the best standards of living in Asia.

Agreed there are a lot of clueless folks who stick the commie label on countries and know zero about them and have zero experience with them. This is just flat out wrong. Many of these "commie" countries are well organized and professional in how they go about there business. In many cases corruption is very low

One thing I don't understand is if the op is married and has a child why not get a one year extension from Thai immigration for support of a Thai family instead of going on visa runs?

Barry

Im sure that has got nothing to do with being refused entry into Laos.....................

Maybe he does not meet the requiremtns for an extension. I to am married to a Thai and I could meet the requirements for an extension but I chose to go on 90 day visa runs on a Non O because I am happy leaving my money back home in an account which gives me good interest...................

The visa runs work out cheaper compared to the money or interest id loose if I transfered money here, and also gives me a trip every 90 days :o

I crossed this border 10 days ago with an agent for handling my visa. All went well.

One anecdocte: There was a canadian guy in our group with no photo... 100 Baht more got him his Laos visa without problem...

On the way back, the Thai Immig Off. did carefully check the passport of the visa runner before me. There was a lot of Thai Immig stamps, but the guy got his VOA and the Thai Off. joked about it with his colleague.

He did the same for me, checking my passport back and forth. But I have only double entry tourist visas and 2 old VOA. He double and triple checked that the dates were correct (I re-entered the very last day of my visa!) and I got my 2nd entry.

I don't think one need and agent, but was my first time and wanted to see how things goes. Note that you can get your Lao Visa in Bangkok on Kho San for 1350 baht in two days.

[sandy]

Ive been in Thailand 11 years now, and never once use an Agent. I speak very good Thai and find that helps considerably, as im very polite and try build up a good relationship with immigrations.

Im due to make a run pretty soon at Ranong (Burma). Does anybody here know if the border is open there, and has anyone experienced any recent problems? Am I likely to experience anything different to my previous visits at Ranong?

Good luck to all

Helpful OP. It should be very helpful to others.

Some of the other posters pointed out the possibility of fee sharing issues Thai-Lao officials.

I would lean toward that cause of the OP's troubles.

When questioned, always ask what's wrong and tell the truth. Be polite, smile!

Do not get troubled, do not worry. Always have a good, honest and decent reply to a harsh word to anyone you deal with. This disarms them and you should always take the wife and kids.

Good advise.

Glad you got back to Thailand OK.

:o

Why use a Visa agent..... in this example you have been doing all the work for three years anyway, all they did was hold you hand.

I'll do that, sounds like an easy job...... do you think they could get me a work permit for that? :o

Q, Why Use A Visa Agent?

A, It's Called "CONVENIENCE"

And because i don't mind paying for a service if it makes my life easier!

Up until today thats exactly what it did!

BY THE WAY!

MY VEHICLE IS AUTOMATIC!........................BUT I STILL HAVE TO BE THERE MUPPET! :D

Mon 16 Oct 06, 10:37 a.m.

Don't waste your breath (pixels?), Up2ubar! Some people have this strong "ethic" or something against using agents, and will try to make you feel inadequate for doing so. Having said that, the Nong Khai visa-border crossing is normally so quick and painless, there really is no compelling advantage to using an agent unless that's what you prefer. Compare that to, say, Poipet, and I would be happy as a pig in mud to pay someone 300 bahtski to get me through that mess!

Also, any newbies, do not confuse what Up2ubar is describing with an "agent" who actually crosses the border and gets your passport stamped in your place. That is much less common these days, is very illegal, and could result in serious consequences given the current climate immigration enforcement.

Aloha,

Rex

When you wait at the first part there is a Laos official who can help explain things if you ask and she feels like helping. When i was there, the instructions are not good. Best advice is to get USD before as this is the cheapest option.

HTH

Dollars are better to pay for everything than Baht. For a strange reason everything is more expensive if paid in Baht. The agent asked me 1550 baht for the visa or 35 $ which at the exchenge rate of the day was 1330 Baht!

Transport from Viang Chan to the bridge is 300 Baht but you can get it for 6$ (230 baht).

[sandy]

Having left Thailand, we were filling in the Laos visa forms sitting in the car when there as a loud explosion. It turned out my Air Con high pressure hose had burst.

Not being familiar with Laos garages, I decided on the spur of the moment to go back sosI turned around and went back to Thai immigration. As with the previous poster of course I then had the problem of having left Thailand but not entered Laos. After explaining our problem, they let us back into the country with a new stamp and wrote alongside the exit stamp that it had not been used. Couldn't have been more helpful.

After a couple of days getting the car fixed, we tried again.

No problems at either checkpoint and bought Laos car insurance (very cheap)from an agent at the border.

Went to Vientianne and found a nice hotel, and went out for dinner near the river. Wonderful.

That's when the problems began. Returning to the hotel at only 9.30 pm we were stoped by the police, asked where we had been and where we were going so we told them. They then asked us for money to buy some drinks, no suggestion we had committed any offences at all. So I gave them 400,000 kip and went back to the hotel.

The following day I was stopped again by police who alleged I had run a red light. Don't really think I did, maybe one had just changed to amber as I was passing. Anyway, he took my car passport (essential document if leaving Thailand), checked my insurance, and told me to go to the police station to pay a fine. OK, next problem where was the police station in a big capital city? Also, he would not give me my car passport back, so finally I asked if I could pay the fine to him which of course he accepted (another 600,000 kip) and got my passport back. Drove back to the hotel and came straight back "home" to Thailand.

Moral, NEVER take a car to Laos, your easy prey.

<snip>I have found Laos to be a lot more tourist friendly than Thailand, I don’t get scammed for money by the police and the immigration department in Vientiane are very polite and helpful and will assist you (without a bribe) to obtain both extensions and long term visas to stay in Laos <snip>

Mon 16 Oct 06, 10:54 a.m.

I don't know what those guys are talking about. You go to Laos Immigration window at the Nong Khai border, with your completed application, photo, passport and 1,500 baht, and you get your 15 day visa in 5 min. if you are not traveling during peak hours. If you need a month, you have to go to a Laos Consulate, but that is also quick & easy. The few times I have bee to the Laos Consulate in Khon Kaen, I was the only customer there!

MyFriendSame, could you describe what the long(er)-stay options are for Laos are, fees, procedures, etc.? Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

As they "you get what you pay for" . Years (35 years to be exact) my old pal David got his Resident permit it cost around Bt2500(application) Bt35,000(??) if approve, we all laugh, and said to ourself (among ourself); what a waste David is about 10 cards short of a deck. :D:D:D:D Guess who is laughing now!! I like many many other have made many trips across that river, never use an agent; how each trip was alway diffrent. Each immigration officer seem to have a diffrent way of approaching the job. Some were great, lay back and zip me right thur, some were the Immigration OFFICER from HeL## :o:D:D

I have been to Laos more times than I can count unless I look at my passport. Not for visa runs but for travel. I have logged well over 10,000Km traveling by motorcycle in Laos and I have been to every major city and many, many villages etc.

I have always found the people friendly, warm and welcoming. It has become much more travel friendly than Thailand in my opinion. I have never had a problem with a "communist" official.

I once used an agent because I was taking my Thai registered truck over and needed an International Transit Permit. This went smoothly and the agent took care of everything including Visa. That was almost 4 years ago and I admit is probably not applicable to todays situation.

When crossing by motorcycle I (and many traveling friends, see gt-rider.com) have handled everything ourselves. Now, however, Thai motorcycles are not allowed to cross the friendship bridge so other crossing points are being used, but that is another story in itself and not relevant here.

For convenience I usually have a travel agent in Chiang Mai get my Laos visa before I go. I would recommend this as it only takes a couple days and avoids a lot of time at the border.

Thaddeus, lets just agree to dissagree on the ways i see fit to spend my dollers mate eh!

I really don't want this thread to degenerate into some kind of crazy meaningless flame war.

The purpose of this post was simply to make you fellow expats here aware of the potentially big problem i experienced today!

I am hopefull it may help to ensure other members here don't have to endure a similiar gut wrenching experience to mine!

Maybe she didn't told you anything because anything changed. I know it is absolute forbidden to use an agent for thai immigration forms of any kind. There are huge signs about this on every border checkpoint. And i guess that the other countries here have the same rules.

Hi llothar!

I had/have never had in 3 years any trouble of this nature or anything like it!

The problem here was 100% with the Laos Authorities, Not the Thai's!

Maybe she didn't told you anything because anything changed.

Not sure if i fully understand that mate!

If you mean:

Maybe she didn't tell me anything as there was nothing to tell, ie no changes

Well for the first time in 3 years i was handed the paperwork & US Dollers to do the donkey work myself! when i asked why she could not do it as always happened in the past she just said "CANNOT"

I can also assure you there was marked change in the attitude of th PDR Laos immigration officials!

Final llother I Can't say i have ever seen a sign referring to Agents at either nong khai or In Laos, not saying tyou are incorrect, merely saying i have not noticed any!

This is typical thai buissiness, she knew whats gone happen on the Laos immigration but didn't want to tell you, why loose 300 thb?

She only lost a good costomer for three years, mai pen rai, tomorrow a new falang coming with $$$.

Good luck with new "honest" thai agent on youe next trip!

But if the form was identical, what did it matter that you filled it out personally or that an agent helped you? Was this simply social discrimination against you for knowing agents? Something seems missing from this story.

Mon 16 Oct 06, 11:18 a.m.

This is slightly off-topic from what you posted here, Ijustwannateach. However, on a similar subject, I have read more than one first-hand account that Thai Immigration in Nong Khai will only accept TM 47 (90 day reporting) forms that are originals (That is not ones downloaded from the internet (eventhough the download is from an official government website, specifically indented to provide forms !!!). And, along with that, it goes without saying that the forms must be filled out by hand, not by computer. I presume this policy extends to other official forms as well.

Go figure!

Aloha,

Rex

<snip>I have found Laos to be a lot more tourist friendly than Thailand, I don’t get scammed for money by the police and the immigration department in Vientiane are very polite and helpful and will assist you (without a bribe) to obtain both extensions and long term visas to stay in Laos <snip>

I don't know what those guys are talking about. You go to Laos Immigration window at the Nong Khai border, with your completed application, photo, passport and 1,500 baht, and you get your 15 day visa in 5 min. if you are not traveling during peak hours. If you need a month, you have to go to a Laos Consulate, but that is also quick & easy. The few times I have bee to the Laos Consulate in Khon Kaen, I was the only customer there!

MyFriendSame, could you describe what the long(er)-stay options are for Laos are, fees, procedures, etc.? Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

Hi Rex,

The visa on arrival for Laos is now valid for 30 days (the same as the visa you get from the consulate). The price has also risen to 35USD or 1700 baht according to reports here on TV.

Aloha,

Rex

Hi Rex,

E-mail me directly and i will give you names and numbers of a couple of my Laos Friends who will help you get whatever visa or extention you want, but it might cost you a few nights out on the piss with them, cheap enough tho when a big bottle of beer is 20-40 baht.

Basically the best way to go if you intend on staying in laos a while is to get a work permit which will allow you stay for a year without leaving if you wish. All up it will cost you about 20,000 Baht and will allow you to work there to support yourself.

Cheers,

Steve

What's your problem? You are supposed to fill the forms in yourself. If you don't, you may or may not get caught. Yes, the officials can be harsh sometimes, when you brake or bend the rules. If they weren't, they wouldn't get much attention, would they?

Mon 16 Oct 06, 11:43 a.m.

"What's your problem" is a rather condescending remark. Unless specifically warned, what person in their right mind would imagine it made a difference who filled in the ###### form?

Aloha,

Rex

Why use a Visa agent..... in this example you have been doing all the work for three years anyway, all they did was hold you hand.

I'll do that, sounds like an easy job...... do you think they could get me a work permit for that? :o

I've only done the Friendship Bridge visa run once (having all my money ripped off in Vientiane put me off going back) but I too used an agent after being turned back at the border the first time for some reason I was unable/not meant to comprehend. This may or may not have been contrived as part of a deal with the agents. Since then I stayed up north and used Mae Sai - where I've never seen any agents operating - other than the inevitable swarms of tourguides.

Anyway, regardless of this the circa 300 baht fee (which sounds right by my recollection) mentioned seems like money well spend in the hassle it saves - and I'd probably happily spend the same money even at Mae Sai where a border run seems considerably easier just to save standing in line and having to deal with customs myself.

So yeah, if you want to take this up as a career then I'd pay you! Of course that might only be 300 baht once every six months or more now that the monthly border run is a no go - so hope you like rice soup.

My Thai girlfriend and I just returned from Vientiane last Friday. The first thing we noticed was that the entry visa had changed from US $30 to US $42 for Canadian citizens. OK I thought and paid extra US$12.00 . A 10 baht fee to enter the country. No problem. Then the swarm of Tuk Tuk drivers charging 250 baht for a ride to the Thai Consulate. We asked the locals and were told they paid 40 Baht. Again, Ferang tax, no big deal.

While touring Vientiane on our rented motorcylce we were also stopped by police for "travelling on a road closed to traffic" after 10PM. The policeman was drunk, and he walked around the motorcyle a few times before asking for our passports. We were smart enough (or maybe stupid enough) to have left them at the hotel we were staying at. Maybe this saved us from a "fine". All I know is that after considering what his colateral might have been, he let us go.

The rest our stay in Vientiane was enjoyable. Visiting the sites, eating at local restaurants, etc. etc.

I had to wait 3 days but had no problems receiving a 60 day tourist Visa for 1000 baht.

Now for our border experience.

We decided to take a Tuk Tuk to the border to return home by train. After negtiating a fair price for a Ferang and his girlfriend, we headed to the checkpoint. When we arrived, I paid the driver, only for him to scream at me that I was a robber, and he pulled out a "rate card" from under his seat that had the price of $25.00 to the checkpont, and not the 40 baht each we negotiated. I refused, and I was also stupid, raising a scene, asking to speak to someone to help us get away from the freak. He followed us in line past the check points. We were allowed to exit the country until at the end, an immigration official asked me to hand him my passport. He then escorted us into a small office and told us to pay the man what we owed him. I argued that he was a theif. It was not about the money, it was about being cheated that was making us angry (and I must admit the attitude of the TUkTuk driver was fueling my rage. ) We waited to hear from a head official who ofcourse told us to pay or go to jail. We paid. :o

If your going to Laos, avoid the Tuk TUks, take a tour bus if you can, and rent a motorcyle for 350 baht instead. ...

Hi everyone I just got back from Laos yesterday and can confirm what's going on at the border. A Tuk-Tuk driver in Nong Khai told me that all visa agents had been shut down for the time being, so he took me straight to the bridge where i did the paperwork myself <snip>

Mon 16 Oct 06, 11:56 a.m.

Hi Hanuman1, all,

Just a reminder that the Thai-Lao bus from Udon or Nong Khai is whey kewl! You have to get your visa in advance from a Laos Consulate, but it ends up being much cheaper and easier that fooling around with tuk-tuks to the border and then into Vientiane. Big, comfortable coach, only 85 bahtski, drops you off to walk out of Thailand-enter Laos, and then takes you all the way into Vientiane. ==>

Thai-Lao Bus Schedule

Aloha,

Rex

Also, any newbies, do not confuse what Up2ubar is describing with an "agent" who actually crosses the border and gets your passport stamped in your place. That is much less common these days, is very illegal, and could result in serious consequences given the current climate immigration enforcement.

Are those operations still running? I can't imagine anyone would be stupid enough to use their services in the current climate!

Had a very tricky 30 minutes or so today whilst on my Nong Khai - Laos Friendship Bridge visa run !

I genuinly had no idea anything had changed re using services such as these!

Does anybody have any further information or had the same experience of late?

I think this sort of situation isn't uncommon. There is presently a visa run company from BKK who will only go to Poipet as the immigration officers at Ban Laem haven't been able to settle on a deal there as yet.

They expected it to be righted in a week or two.

Peter