Scary Laos Visa Run Today 15/10/06 Be Careful

I have been to Laos a couple of times in my life

and I have never enjoyed the experience.

I certainly don't want to go there again

and certainly not after this story.

Please could you post a description of the Laos immigration man

who shouted at you.

These sorts of people get off on intimidating their victims.

Such techniques never work on me and are counterproductive.

I am sorry that you had this bad experience

but like I said I would not want to go there anyway.

On the first occasion 20 years ago I was followed around Vientiane

by a rickshaw driver who I could not shake off.

On the second occasion 5 years ago

I reached Luang Prabang by bus

and found only a tourist trap.

I travelled with an Isaan lady but this did not help.

2 months later the same bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vienne

was shot up by Hmong tribesman and all the passengers were killed.

Keep out of Laos!

And this post confirm what I just said! :o

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The use of agents to obtain visas has always been illegal. The authorities are just applying the law.

The fact that you are using an agent is suspicious in the first place.

If you are staying in Thailand legally you have nothing to worry about. If you are working and have the requisite work permit the visa is automatic. If you are married to a Thai you can get a Thai wife visa. For this you need to have 400k thai baht in a thai bank account. If you don't have that, then tough luck.

I get sick and tired of reading about expats trying to buck the system and then complaining when they get caught.

You are living in a foreign country so abide by the rules and the law. If you do not like it get out and do not spoil it for those of us who stay within the law.

The use of agents to obtain visas has always been illegal. The authorities are just applying the law.

If you are staying in Thailand legally you have nothing to worry about. If you are working and have the requisite work permit the visa is automatic. If you are married to a Thai you can get a Thai wife visa. For this you need to have 400k thai baht in a thai bank account. If you don't have that, then tough luck.

I get sick and tired of reading about expats trying to buck the system and then complaining when they get caught.

You are living in a foreign country so abide by the rules and the law. If you do not like it get out and do not spoil it for those of us who stay within the law.

See earlier post...Robert, does it evade you that some of us are more sick and tired of people telling us what to do and repeatedly stating the obvious!.....btw....your "suspicions" are spurious, your suggestion that the OP is "bucking the system" is naive and your monologue about "living in a foreign country" is immature. If you have no similar experience to relate or nothing positive to add, keep it to yourself eh!

Well I have to say I've read this thread and so points I've been sitting in hysterics and other times just shaking my head in disbelief!

First off - I live in Laos, Vientiane and the amount of scary mongering and general <deleted> posted on here is unreal. The one about Luang Prabang being a tourist trap and the bus getting shot up - the bus getting shot up was 4 nearly 5 years ago! Otherwise NO tourists that I've heard of or reported to the FCO have been murdered, raped or assaulted (unlike Thailand) - I think everyone lost count of those occurances a while ago.

I am married to a Laos national and if you think that Thai women get grief when visiting Laos (which my friend his thai g/f has come up from Bangkok several times and she has always been treated same as everyone) then you should experience what Lao citizen experience in BKK! Right from the Taxi at the airport the bad treatment starts. Check in at a hotel and they'll pass her passport around for everyone to look at . . . it goes on.

As for the guy who gave 600,000kip to a police officer and then wonders why they were stopping him well you gave him over half his monthly salary!!!! 10,000 or even 20,000kip would of resolved the dispute. Most people in Laos lucky to be earning $1 a day. So think about that the next time your arguing over $1 to you it's not a lot but to the Tuk Tuk driver etc it is!

Fortunately we know immigration people and basically if I want a 3 month extention it costs me $15 - whilst we're waiting for my permanent visa.

As for the people in Laos if you go around flashing money and arrogance then like any poor country they'll take you for a ride. But if you swallow you own ego and be humble then they'll treat you like a king, people should think about there own actions before critising others.

As for people being immigration being surly think about all the people on here whinging and if you had to deal with them all day would you be cranky?

EDIT: Also why would anyone use an agent to enter Laos? All you need is 1 photo, a Visa on Arrival form and a customs form - easy easy stuff.

Edited by technocracy

Mon 16 Oct 06, 5:30 p.m.

I wouldn't know if use of agents to obtain a visa is illegal or not. If it is, it is. Then it would probably be better not to do it. But it does seem awfully odd that having someone help you fill out a form and walk you through a line would be illegal. What on earth would be the point?

However, more important, I believe you have misconstrued this entire thread which is about agents who help you fill out a form and apply for a tourist visa to Laos. As some have pointed out, this may not be exactly "necessary", but illegal???

Anyway, who you are married to, how much money you have in the back or what Thai visa you are on has nothing to do with this conversation. I was really quite surprised you didn't throw in a "The Law is the Law!" just for the hel_l of it!

I really do hope that at some time in your life, you find yourself vulnerable, disadvantaged in some way, and have someone look you right in the eyeballs and say "I've got mind, Jack! Tough luck!"

Aloha,

Rex

I just did the Nogn Khai - Laos visa run last friday.

No problems at all, there were a few troop lounging around looking totally disinterested in anything.

I didnt use an agent as filling out those small forms is clealry a requirement for the individul to do.

If the agent makes a mistake which then makes you look like you are supplying false information on a visa application then you are in the poop.

Fill out the forms yourself, we are all grown ups chai mai?

Given a choice in any situation, I will pay companies or individuals to carry out transactions or services on my behalf. There is nothing wrong with this. What would a person with disabilities writing do in this situation? What about a person that cannot read or fill out forms? Would they be breaking the law asking for help (regardless if they are paying for help) to fill in the correct paper work? I don’t think so. This seams more like a bad situation with the Immigration than a country’s rulings.

People criticizing the original poster here, appear to me to be Know it all or cheap Charlie’s. Far too clever, or far too poor to pay for a service to help them with a form.

I would like to thank the original poster for the information which may help many of us here falling into the same situation.

Also bear in mind that you need a licence to be in a bedroom alone with a Lao woman. No idea what rigmarole this entails but apparently you need to be married or engaged to apply. Friends who have worked in Vientiane were followed around a lot and people have been deported for spending the night with a Lao girl (or boy), not a career enhancing event for expats working there.

The above reminded me of a piece I saved a while back:

RELATIONSHIPS WITH LAO CITIZENS:

"The Lao Government prohibits sexual contact between foreign citizens and Lao nationals except when the two parties have been married in accordance with Lao Family Law. Any foreigner who enters into a sexual relationship with a Lao national may be interrogated, detained, arrested, or jailed. Lao police have confiscated passports and imposed fines of up to $5000 on foreigners who enter into disapproved sexual relationships. The Lao party to the relationship may also be jailed without trial. Foreigners are not permitted to invite Lao nationals of the opposite sex to their hotel rooms; police may raid hotel rooms without notice or consent.

Foreign citizens intending to marry Lao nationals are required by Lao law to obtain prior permission from the Lao Government. The formal application process can take as long as a year. American citizens may obtain information about these requirements from the U.S. Embassy in Vientiane. The Lao Government will not issue a marriage certificate unless the correct procedures are followed. Any attempt to circumvent Lao regulations may result in arrest, imprisonment, a fine of $500-$5000, and deportation. Foreigners who cohabit with or enter into a close relationship with Lao nationals may be accused by Lao authorities of entering an illegal marriage and be subject to the same penalties.

Foreign citizens who wish to become engaged to a Lao national are required to obtain prior permission from the chief of the village where the Lao national resides. Failure to obtain prior permission can result in a fine of $500-$5000. Lao police frequently impose large fines on foreign citizens a few days after they hold an engagement ceremony with a Lao citizen based on the suspicion that the couple probably subsequently had sexual relations out of wedlock."

Source

At least it should save some visa runners a few baht on condoms, although I am sure those in desperate need will be serviced regardless of the above 'rules'.

No doubt where there's a willy there's a way... :o

Also bear in mind that you need a licence to be in a bedroom alone with a Lao woman. No idea what rigmarole this entails but apparently you need to be married or engaged to apply. Friends who have worked in Vientiane were followed around a lot and people have been deported for spending the night with a Lao girl (or boy), not a career enhancing event for expats working there.

"The Lao Government prohibits sexual contact between foreign citizens and Lao nationals except when the two parties have been married in accordance with Lao Family Law. Any foreigner who enters into a sexual relationship with a Lao national may be interrogated, detained, arrested, or jailed. Lao police have confiscated passports and imposed fines of up to $5000 on foreigners who enter into disapproved sexual relationships. The Lao party to the relationship may also be jailed without trial. Foreigners are not permitted to invite Lao nationals of the opposite sex to their hotel rooms; police may raid hotel rooms without notice or consent.

Foreign citizens intending to marry Lao nationals are required by Lao law to obtain prior permission from the Lao Government. The formal application process can take as long as a year. American citizens may obtain information about these requirements from the U.S. Embassy in Vientiane. The Lao Government will not issue a marriage certificate unless the correct procedures are followed. Any attempt to circumvent Lao regulations may result in arrest, imprisonment, a fine of $500-$5000, and deportation. Foreigners who cohabit with or enter into a close relationship with Lao nationals may be accused by Lao authorities of entering an illegal marriage and be subject to the same penalties.

Foreign citizens who wish to become engaged to a Lao national are required to obtain prior permission from the chief of the village where the Lao national resides. Failure to obtain prior permission can result in a fine of $500-$5000. Lao police frequently impose large fines on foreign citizens a few days after they hold an engagement ceremony with a Lao citizen based on the suspicion that the couple probably subsequently had sexual relations out of wedlock."

Source

At least it should save some visa runners a few baht on condoms, although I am sure those in desperate need will be serviced regardless of the above 'rules'.

All true and is the law. Basically you need to be seen as the law says otherwise your in trouble - you wouldn't go around blatantly drinking beer in Saudi so you don't go around blatantly with Lao girls for all to see. There is a lot of girls who work bars here and there is plenty of hotels that will ignore the 'rules' above.

Also many western guy think this law applies to them only it doesn't it applies to all - Chinese, Korean etc etc all have to abide by the same law.

It goes back to my previous post if you show respect to people you won't get a trouble.

Edited by technocracy

Source

Crickey! What a bunch of <deleted>. I went to Lao once and bedded a Lao girl in my hotel room. Worrying to think I could have gone to jail for that.

I liked laos people, although i always give immigration officials a wide birth. They all looked rather miserable if you ask me. The only really pleasurable time I had was sitting on the edge of the Mekong River drinking lao beers and riding around the middle of nowhere on motor bikes with friends.

After my experience, I dont think I would visit Laos again. There's really not much to do.

Had a very tricky 30 minutes or so today whilst on my Nong Khai - Laos Friendship Bridge visa run !

Just spoken to a friend who use's friendship bridge crossing regularly also had problems there lately.

SOOOOOOOOO / becareful using this crossing is the word at the mo :o

Paul

Had a very tricky 30 minutes or so today whilst on my Nong Khai - Laos Friendship Bridge visa run !

Just to put you guys in the picture i always have used the services of a very friendly tour operator/travel agent to run me over the bridge & back to Nong khai whilst on laos visa runs!

It's just been convenience of it really, as they fill all the forms in and on many occasions have skipped past horrendous queue's etc.

so for the additional 300 baht or so it cost me i felt it was great value for money.

Anyway I turned up at their office this morning and was greeted exactly as i have been each time i have presented myself there over the past 3 years or so!

I Handed over my passport along with passport photograph & the fee.

One of the girls filled out the paperwork as they usually do & i just signed them, we set off for the 1 kilometre journey to the immigration checkpoint in one of their company vehicles.

From the moment i arrived at their office to arriving at the immigration checkpoint on the Thai Side of the border nothing at all was said to me that would have led me to believe that today was going to be any different in anyway shape or form from the countless other times i have done exactly the same visa run.

we arrived at the Immigration checkpoint (Thai Side) no more than 5 minutes after leaving the office & Although there was a strong military presence in evidence it seemed to be business as usuall, certainly with respect to folk leaving the kingdom!

Whilst travelling over the bridge my courier handed me my passport along with some $$$$$$

<deleted> i thought as this was the first time this had happened! They usually deal with all the stages visa run & i just followed like a lamb in thr past!

I asked her what she was doing handing me everything, And politelypointed out i had already paid her company for her services to handle all this for me?

I was me with a swift & sharp CANNOT! nothing more nothing less, again i thought <deleted>! But decided just to keep cool and deal with the rest of the usually painless visa run myself!

Arrived over the bridge at the Laos immigration checkpoint & was directed towards a window. where i was handed a couple of forms i needed to fillout!

One of which was identical to one i had already signed after being filled out for me in the couriers office in Nong Khai!

So me being the LAZY ASS i am! I filled out one of them & switched the other for the identical one i had prepared earlier!

I handed both forms along with my fistful of dollers & sat down waiting for my visa into Laos to be processed!

After maybe 5 minutes i was beckoned back to the window and was quizzed on whether i had come alone or was using the services of an agent!

(He had oviously seen the X's on the form that was filled out for me & i had only signed)

I said i was alone & was not using an agent!

At this point i knew i had a problem, but didn't yet realise just how severe it could have become!

After maybe another 10 minutes had passed i was approached by another immigration officer & was then escorted to a small office within the main building.

I was confronted by two male & one female immigration officers, one of the men shouted at me "YOU USE AGENT" to which again i totally denied.

They pointed at the X's on the form that was pre filled out for me, and again said "YOU USE AGENT FOR VISA"

Again i totally denied it.

Another couple of minutes passed whilst they chatted amongst themselves, then the female officer approached me & explained they were refusing me a visa into Laos as they believed i was using a the services of a visa agent/courier!

My heart just sank at that statement, as it seemed i was now caught in a terrible situation everyone hopes they will not find themselves in! NO MANS LAND!

I cannot get into laos as they are refusing me a visa!

I cannot go back to Thailand, as although i have officially left, i have not yet arrived in another country!

I decided to plead with whom i hoped would be the officer most willing to listen & hopefuly offer me a way out of this nghtmare! "THE FEMALE OFFICER"

I came clean with her & explained i indeed had used a service i had used for the past 3 years with no problems!

I also explained i was completely unaware that any legilation had changed regarding the use of such services on Laos Visa runs.

I also explained my thai wife & 2 year old daughter were patiently waiting for me back in nong khai, & would be totally unaware of what was happening & i had no way of contacting her.

She then left the room came back a couple of minutes later with my passport complete with Laos Visa. THANK GOD!

NEXT TIME NOT USE AGENT WAS HER PARTING WORDS TO ME!

although it had only been maybe 20/30 minutes, Words just cannot describe my relief on getting my passport back & Visa!

I genuinly had no idea anything had changed re using services such as these!

Does anybody have any further information or had the same experience of late?

UP/ TO /YOU…

I have only one question to pose. If you have a Thai wife and child, then why in God’s name are you using visa services and making border runs?

There is only one reason; you must be working illegally in the Kingdom.

Get your ducks in a row and live here legally, or go back to you native land (with your wife and kids).

Choke Dee Krap

Get your ducks in a row and live here legally, or go back to you native land (with your wife and kids).Choke Dee Krap

Mon 16 Oct 06, 7:34 p.m.

Let He Who Is Without Ducks Cast The First Row!

:o

Edited by rexall

<snip>I have found Laos to be a lot more tourist friendly than Thailand, I don’t get scammed for money by the police and the immigration department in Vientiane are very polite and helpful and will assist you (without a bribe) to obtain both extensions and long term visas to stay in Laos <snip>

Mon 16 Oct 06, 10:54 a.m.

I don't know what those guys are talking about. You go to Laos Immigration window at the Nong Khai border, with your completed application, photo, passport and 1,500 baht, and you get your 15 day visa in 5 min. if you are not traveling during peak hours. If you need a month, you have to go to a Laos Consulate, but that is also quick & easy. The few times I have bee to the Laos Consulate in Khon Kaen, I was the only customer there!

MyFriendSame, could you describe what the long(er)-stay options are for Laos are, fees, procedures, etc.? Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

Hey hey, hold on a minute there Jackson, I did not make that quote. That was a quote from someone else within my post. You had better go back and find out who it was and ask them. I know nothing about Laos visas and never claimed to. As a matter of fact I have never even been to Laos and likely will never go there. I have zero reason to go

[i genuinly had no idea anything had changed re using services such as these!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UP/ TO /YOU…

I have only one question to pose. If you have a Thai wife and child, then why in God’s name are you using visa services and making border runs?

Get your ducks in a row and live here legally, or go back to you native land (with your wife and kids).

Choke Dee Krap

you always get one smart arse.

If you don't know his circumstances why pass coments like that.

He maybe a teacher being screwed about by MOE (Ministry of Education).

I was & told to do visa runs until it was sorted out yes by MOE!!.

As I post just before my friend had problems at frienship bridge as well & he IS legal just have to go outside of Thailand to change visa status.

I thought this forum was here to help us falangs not flame people???

Engage brain before engaging keyboard.

Paul.

Source

Crickey! What a bunch of &lt;deleted&gt;. I went to Lao once and bedded a Lao girl in my hotel room. Worrying to think I could have gone to jail for that.

I liked laos people, although i always give immigration officials a wide birth. They all looked rather miserable if you ask me. The only really pleasurable time I had was sitting on the edge of the Mekong River drinking lao beers and riding around the middle of nowhere on motor bikes with friends.

After my experience, I dont think I would visit Laos again. There's really not much to do.

&lt;deleted&gt;???? why because the lao government don't want people likeyou abuseing their nationals? or maybe you think that it is out of order that they have laws in place to stop sexpats blatantly shagging kids for a fiver and then paradeing around the streets hand in hand like they do in most asian countries. Laos has got it right, its still available but behind closed doors, which in my opinion is right. prostitution should not be on show for kids to see and accept as normal.

how many Laos citizens do you see in the sex trade worldwide compared to thais, flippers, indos or vietnamese???? point made.

but if your intentions are honourable the locals will bend over backwards to help you obtain a marrage licence. me and my wife never had a problem.

[i genuinly had no idea anything had changed re using services such as these!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UP/ TO /YOU…

Choke Dee Krap

you always get one smart arse.

If you don't know his circumstances why pass coments like that.

He maybe a teacher being screwed about by MOE (Ministry of Education).

I was & told to do visa runs until it was sorted out yes by MOE!!.

As I post just before my friend had problems at frienship bridge as well & he IS legal just have to go outside of Thailand to change visa status.

I thought this forum was here to help us falangs not flame people???

Engage brain before engaging keyboard.

Paul.

Yeah Paul, these wise guys always seem to be lurking.

Source

All true and is the law. Basically you need to be seen as the law says otherwise your in trouble - you wouldn't go around blatantly drinking beer in Saudi so you don't go around blatantly with Lao girls for all to see. There is a lot of girls who work bars here and there is plenty of hotels that will ignore the 'rules' above.

Also many western guy think this law applies to them only it doesn't it applies to all - Chinese, Korean etc etc all have to abide by the same law.

It goes back to my previous post if you show respect to people you won't get a trouble.

technocracy you talk sense....... not a load of third hand stories heard in a bar and repeated as your own...... refreshing.

A tour guide in Laos told me the Lao ID card has a photo of the spouse on the rear of the husband’s card.

I figure that stops a lot of guys booking into hotels with their mia noys.

rubbish.... no photos on the back of any ID cards (male or female).... and as for hotels and girls, you simply check in and no questions are asked, as long as you choose the correct hotel.... just ask the girl which one.... common sense really.

You have serous issues. Perhaps you are a sexpat but stoneage morality laws don't help anyone.

They dont prevent prostitution but they might inhibit real relationships.

Get Real

Source

Crickey! What a bunch of &lt;deleted&gt;. I went to Lao once and bedded a Lao girl in my hotel room. Worrying to think I could have gone to jail for that.

&lt;deleted&gt;???? why because the lao government don't want people likeyou abuseing their nationals? or maybe you think that it is out of order that they have laws in place to stop sexpats blatantly shagging kids for a fiver and then paradeing around the streets hand in hand like they do in most asian countries. Laos has got it right, its still available but behind closed doors, which in my opinion is right. prostitution should not be on show for kids to see and accept as normal.

how many Laos citizens do you see in the sex trade worldwide compared to thais, flippers, indos or vietnamese???? point made.

but if your intentions are honourable the locals will bend over backwards to help you obtain a marrage licence. me and my wife never had a problem.

Just to put you guys in the picture i always have used the services of a very friendly tour operator/travel agent to run me over the bridge & back to Nong khai whilst on laos visa runs!

It's just been convenience of it really, as they fill all the forms in and on many occasions have skipped past horrendous queue's etc.

so for the additional 300 baht or so it cost me i felt it was great value for money.

Anyway I turned up at their office this morning and was greeted exactly as i have been each time i have presented myself there over the past 3 years or so!

I Handed over my passport along with passport photograph & the fee.

One of the girls filled out the paperwork as they usually do & i just signed them, we set off for the 1 kilometre journey to the immigration checkpoint in one of their company vehicles.

From the moment i arrived at their office to arriving at the immigration checkpoint on the Thai Side of the border nothing at all was said to me that would have led me to believe that today was going to be any different in anyway shape or form from the countless other times i have done exactly the same visa run.

we arrived at the Immigration checkpoint (Thai Side) no more than 5 minutes after leaving the office & Although there was a strong military presence in evidence it seemed to be business as usuall, certainly with respect to folk leaving the kingdom!

Whilst travelling over the bridge my courier handed me my passport along with some $$$$$$

&lt;deleted&gt; i thought as this was the first time this had happened! They usually deal with all the stages visa run & i just followed like a lamb in thr past!

I asked her what she was doing handing me everything, And politelypointed out i had already paid her company for her services to handle all this for me?

I was me with a swift & sharp CANNOT! nothing more nothing less, again i thought &lt;deleted&gt;! But decided just to keep cool and deal with the rest of the usually painless visa run myself!

Arrived over the bridge at the Laos immigration checkpoint & was directed towards a window. where i was handed a couple of forms i needed to fillout!

One of which was identical to one i had already signed after being filled out for me in the couriers office in Nong Khai!

So me being the LAZY ASS i am! I filled out one of them & switched the other for the identical one i had prepared earlier!

I handed both forms along with my fistful of dollers & sat down waiting for my visa into Laos to be processed!

After maybe 5 minutes i was beckoned back to the window and was quizzed on whether i had come alone or was using the services of an agent!

(He had oviously seen the X's on the form that was filled out for me & i had only signed)

I said i was alone & was not using an agent!

At this point i knew i had a problem, but didn't yet realise just how severe it could have become!

After maybe another 10 minutes had passed i was approached by another immigration officer & was then escorted to a small office within the main building.

I was confronted by two male & one female immigration officers, one of the men shouted at me "YOU USE AGENT" to which again i totally denied.

They pointed at the X's on the form that was pre filled out for me, and again said "YOU USE AGENT FOR VISA"

Again i totally denied it.

Another couple of minutes passed whilst they chatted amongst themselves, then the female officer approached me & explained they were refusing me a visa into Laos as they believed i was using a the services of a visa agent/courier!

My heart just sank at that statement, as it seemed i was now caught in a terrible situation everyone hopes they will not find themselves in! NO MANS LAND!

I cannot get into laos as they are refusing me a visa!

I cannot go back to Thailand, as although i have officially left, i have not yet arrived in another country!

I decided to plead with whom i hoped would be the officer most willing to listen & hopefuly offer me a way out of this nghtmare! "THE FEMALE OFFICER"

I came clean with her & explained i indeed had used a service i had used for the past 3 years with no problems!

I also explained i was completely unaware that any legilation had changed regarding the use of such services on Laos Visa runs.

I also explained my thai wife & 2 year old daughter were patiently waiting for me back in nong khai, & would be totally unaware of what was happening & i had no way of contacting her.

She then left the room came back a couple of minutes later with my passport complete with Laos Visa. THANK GOD!

NEXT TIME NOT USE AGENT WAS HER PARTING WORDS TO ME!

although it had only been maybe 20/30 minutes, Words just cannot describe my relief on getting my passport back & Visa!

I genuinly had no idea anything had changed re using services such as these!

What I do not understand is why you insist of not having used an agent, while it was so obvious that you did. I have never seen lieing making any uniformed individuals becoming friendlier than what they already are. I'm pretty sure you would have gotten away much more easily with a innocent, "yes I did as I always did - why?" Anyhow, who knows, if I had been in your shoes maybe I had messed up as well. I just felt like I always got along with officials by sticking to the truth (especially if they know the truth).

Back on topic..... Up2u why did you lie to the immigration when they asked if you used an agent if you didn't think you were doing anything wrong..... i have travelled a lot and every immigration official world wide would pull you if they knew you were not telling the truth. if you worked as an immigration officer and you suspected you were being lied to would you not do the same???? Force a confession from a liar by refusing entry, I’m sure they would use the same tactic in the UK. The end result was he let you in after making you tell the truth.... sounds like a decent bloke really.... most western immigration officers would give you more trouble than that.... Have you ever been to OZ....complete C&^TS there. Much worse than any in Asia a bunch of mini Hitler’s on a major ego trip.

But i have heard that people from Laos eat their first born if it is born on a tuesday :o:D:D

:D

Well it made me laugh anyway!

Steve, I just speak reality the way some people go on about Laos on here is unbelieveable! I went down to BKK with my wife to sort out her UK Visa and we actually had about 4 or 5 girls who started talking to my wife and none of them could believe she was Laos because . . . . wait for it . . . . . 'she was pretty'!!!!?!? Obviously they all believed Lao women have two heads or are grossly disfigured!

You have serous issues. Perhaps you are a sexpat but stoneage morality laws don't help anyone.

They dont prevent prostitution but they might inhibit real relationships.

Get Real

Read the post before making a fool of yourself, I never said that there was no prostitution in Laos. call me old fashioned but I cannot understand what is wrong with not wanting my kids to accept prostitution as normal moral behaviour and consider it as a viable career option as is so often the case in poor countries

Please explain how having prostitution behind closed doors might inhibit real relationships, I don't understand????

I never realized that rife prostitution in the street was the modern way.... maybe you should set up a Go-Go bar in you mum's spare bedroom and when she complains you can tell her that "this is the modern way of doing things, it’s quite normal, stop being so behind the times"

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm now gonna go back to my cave

:o:D:D

The often-repeated phrase "Why do Thai authorities shoot themselves in the foot" seen often in threads on Thaivisa is appropriate at this point.

It's precisely what we are doing in this thread. When a poster makes a thread detailing an apparent change at a border crossing and then is subject to ridicule and abuse by follow-on posts, we are essentially "shooting ourselves in the foot."

What on Earth would possess the next poster to create a new thread about a new experience knowing that his thread will be commented on in the same patronizing, abusive, speculative, over-analyzing manner?

Consequently we will lose out on the vast membership of this forum by effectively silencing the people who can most benefit by the network of people who are on the front lines of a multitude of visa-related issues.

By doing so, we are defeating one of the primary benefits and cardinal purposes of Thaivisa.

*sigh*

What on Earth would possess the next poster to create a new thread about a new experience knowing that his thread will be commented on in the same patronizing, abusive, speculative, over-analyzing manner?

Consequently we will lose out on the vast membership of this forum by effectively silencing the people who can most benefit by the network of people who are on the front lines of a multitude of visa-related issues.

Seconded. Well put.

But i have heard that people from Laos eat their first born if it is born on a tuesday :o:D:D

:D

Well it made me laugh anyway!

Steve, I just speak reality the way some people go on about Laos on here is unbelieveable! I went down to BKK with my wife to sort out her UK Visa and we actually had about 4 or 5 girls who started talking to my wife and none of them could believe she was Laos because . . . . wait for it . . . . . 'she was pretty'!!!!?!? Obviously they all believed Lao women have two heads or are grossly disfigured!

I am living in singapore with my Laos wife and get the same here..... I love Laos and fail to understand why others don't, friendly hospitable people who don't only like you because you have money in your pocket.... must be the lack of Go-Go bars.. sad really they can't see their way past their private parts.

Why lie to them? It's not illegal to use an agent, is it?

Mon 16 Oct 06, 9:22 p.m.

Apparently it might be illegal, but it is certainly against some regulation of the moment. Again I don't understand the logic.

Up2ubar can speak for himself, but I believe he has already explained that in hindsight lying might have been a bad idea: He felt cornered and on the spot, and blurted out a lie before he could think it through. Lots of people feel awkward and anxious dealing with cops, especially when taken into a little office to be interrogated and asked an obvious question that might have the same implications as "Are you still beating your wife?"

Many posters assume that telling the truth would have brought a better outcome, but can we be sure of that? No, we cannot. If the immigration officer already knew that Up2ubar had used an agent, then why play games and ask a question he already knew the answer to? Wouldn't it have been simpler to advise that using an agent was against the rules, and then impose a fine or a warning or a lecture or whatever, and let everyone get on with their business?

Ironically, this merely reinforces my feeling that "agents" and similar services are good because--at least theoretically--these people know the correct response to awkward questions.

Aloha,

Rex