Netflix is now available in Thailand

ghworker2010

Yeah, there have been a few scare articles like this. Just turn it on when you need it, off when you don't wink.png

When I'm using it, there's not a lot of bandwidth left for them to borrow tongue.png

After using Hola for a year or so, I read about some of the stuff they are doing. I saw a CSS entry on one website that seemed to set Hola ads. So I removed it from Chrome.

After signing up for Netflix I tried Hola again. When watching one movie (PC connected to 48" Ultra LG TV), I saw significant degrading in the resolution. So I removed it immediately.

That bandwidth you think Hola are not borrowing ....

But, as Thais say, "Up to you."

In Mac OSX, Hola exists only as a browser extension, not a background service. Close the browser and it's off, turn of the plugin and it's off.

I just did a test install in WIndows, and on that OS it installs a background service that's always on. OK yes, that's scary!

For those wondering, yes, the Thai Netflix does indeed have Ultra HD 4K titles - if you search for "4k" you'll get the full list..

But there's a few things you need to do to see it.

First, you're going to need either a Roku 4 or a FireTV 4K box. No other devices I've tested will even display the Ultra HD 4K label when browsing, let alone stream it.

Next, you need a HDMI input on your TV with HDCP 2.2 support - even if the screen is 4K you won't get 4K content without this.

Then you'll want a high speed HDMI cable, the most expensive Netflix account, and you'll need to have enabled the "High" setting in playback preferences.

From there, all you need to do now is free up enough bandwidth... My router shows that a range of about 10-25mbps are being used, when I actually get 4K to stream. If anyone/anything else starts using my bandwidth it very quickly rolls back to 1080P and around 8mbps though :(

• Like 1

Has anyone here with a Thai Netflix account checked to determine WHERE the content is being streamed from? Have they hosted/mirrored it in country via a CDN, or, it's being pulled from abroad?

All I know is that my Thai Netflix has no buffering at all and is in HD. I have about 8-10mps speed Internet.

Quality of Iflix is not to be compared with Netflix. But the Thai subtitles are a plus for some people.No Netflix series though. Getting the picture on your tv is only possible with an hdmi cable or chrome cast. Netflix supports AirPlay for iOS devices. Iflix only support screen mirroring.

• Like 1

Has anyone here with a Thai Netflix account checked to determine WHERE the content is being streamed from? Have they hosted/mirrored it in country via a CDN, or, it's being pulled from abroad?

Netflix uses Amazon Cloudfront and Akamai CDN's - so for us that means, ex-Singapore.

Quality of Iflix is not to be compared with Netflix. But the Thai subtitles are a plus for some people.No Netflix series though. Getting the picture on your tv is only possible with an hdmi cable or chrome cast. Netflix supports AirPlay for iOS devices. Iflix only support screen mirroring.

+1 The iFlix picture quality is absolutely horrific compared to Netflix.

Sweden is the what the ip geolocates to, but the latency would suggest it may be closer. I'm a little surprised, it works so well I thought maybe they had one of these bad boys in Bangkok:

http://gizmodo.com/this-box-can-hold-an-entire-netflix-1592590450

Edited by chmod777

Got it on my IOS devices, streams great. What happens if I open the app overseas? Will it work next month when I open the app to stream content in Bangladesh?

If you're in a country where Netflix is available, you'll get the content from the local version.

• Like 1

Sweden is the what the ip geolocates to, but the latency would suggest it may be closer. I'm a little surprised, it works so well I thought maybe they had one of these bad boys in Bangkok:

http://gizmodo.com/this-box-can-hold-an-entire-netflix-1592590450

In the server world, there's nothing too spectacular about these boxes wink.png

You can put together a 288TB box with 2x 10gbps NIC's, 48 CPU cores and 1TB of RAM for less than USD $4000/mth at IBM for example. A small drop in the ocean for a company like Netflix wink.png

Their calcs on how much content gets stored are way off too... there's no way Netflix are only storing one size of video and one audio stream for each title. They'll be storing 360P, 480P, 720P, 1080P and even 2160P for some titles, plus they'll be storing stereo and 5.1 sound tracks in several different languages. You just don't transcode on the fly because that won't scale... CPU is too expensive and power hungry, storage however is cheap wink.png

Edited by IMHO

An interesting unofficial Netflix content guide geared to international folks:

http://unogs.com/

Last week Netflix announced that it had begun cracking down on these content-tourists (or VPN pirates as they’re sometimes called) in order to appease rightsholders but for those who can still beat the system, what are they enjoying? The answer to that question and more can be found by visiting the ‘unofficial Netflix online Global Search’ or uNoGS for short.

uNoGS is essentially a searchable database which allows users to see which content is available on Netflix in any given area in the world. For instance, when Netflix unceremoniously curtailed my viewing of Donnie Brasco in the UK earlier this month, a search on uNoGS revealed the movie was still on the service and accessible from 22 other countries.

unog-1.png

This means that by using a VPN to switch countries I was able to continue viewing, but uNoGS actually goes a step further by providing details on which VPN, proxy or DNS providers can provide access on a movie-by-movie basis.

For example, selecting TorGuard reveals options in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland.

Selecting Private Internet Access reveals five usable servers located in Finland, France, Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland. Since the language is also displayed by uNoGS, those seeking English audio are able to rule out the second and fourth options.

unogs-2.png

https://torrentfreak.com/the-site-lifting-the-veil-on-netflixs-geo-restrictions-160123/

Netflix not supported by SAMSUNG in Thailand. So no app available in their Thai store , calling help desk will get you the reply " we don't support and have no plan to support". Anyway don't buy a samsung "Smart TV" if you want to watch Netflix. Cheaper to buy ChromeCast.

For those wondering, yes, the Thai Netflix does indeed have Ultra HD 4K titles - if you search for "4k" you'll get the full list..

But there's a few things you need to do to see it.

First, you're going to need either a Roku 4 or a FireTV 4K box. No other devices I've tested will even display the Ultra HD 4K label when browsing, let alone stream it.

Next, you need a HDMI input on your TV with HDCP 2.2 support - even if the screen is 4K you won't get 4K content without this.

Then you'll want a high speed HDMI cable, the most expensive Netflix account, and you'll need to have enabled the "High" setting in playback preferences.

From there, all you need to do now is free up enough bandwidth... My router shows that a range of about 10-25mbps are being used, when I actually get 4K to stream. If anyone/anything else starts using my bandwidth it very quickly rolls back to 1080P and around 8mbps though sad.png

Sometime in the past 2 days, LG pushed an update to my 4K TV and I now have the Netflix app on it, and it also supports 4K.

The TV app version even has a special section dedicated to "Ultra HD 4K" titles, so you don't have to search for them, and the phone app works as a remote control for it too (just like a Chromecast) - indeed using the app to "cast" to the TV is the quickest/simplest way to launch the Netflix app on the TV (less remote button smashing) tongue.png

post-163537-0-62835500-1454020572_thumb.

Edited by IMHO

The Google Chromecast for video plugs into TVs via an HDMI port, gets its Internet via your wifi, and is best powered via an AC power plug.

ok am confused. So it DOES NOT require either a smart device or connection to a PC to actually use it ?