Salary increase !

This is a private school I guess? How long have the other teachers been there? Is there high turnover?

Do they have a salary scale? If so, what is it based on? You haven't completed a year yet, so I would not be inclined to ask for a raise. If a teacher has been there 10 years and you ask for a raise to a salary more than that teacher gets....well that won't happen. If you give more information I could be more helpful.

If there is a fixed salary scale you would need to stick to that. If it's a 'free-for-all', then tread carefully. Normal raises are about 1000/month, each year. So if I were to ask for a raise, in your case, keep it small.

If you have only been there 5 months and he wants to sign you for 3 years. He thinks you are doing a good job. Just tell him you want to wait

until the end of your contact. You will get more more.

Agreed. I'd ask for fifteen. Have ten job related reasons and five tertiary reasons why you deserve the rise.

If you don't get what you want, don't sign, let him stew. Be polite and just say you'll get back to him in .....

Good luck!

Have you ever thought about the possibility that your employer does not want that you'll have a pay raise within the next two years?

Happened at my former school with two Asian teachers who're asking for 7 K more/month.

The PoO agreed but they had to sign a three year contract to make sure that they won't have a pay raise.

BTW, five months isn't really a long time to "get to know each other well enough." Best of luck.

Edited by lostinisaan

• 2 weeks later...