I can't renew my extension of stay

I am presently on an O-A visa that was issued on the 21st jan 2015

I left Thailand and re-entered in November 2015

I am aware that i have one year from my re-entry to do my extension

My conundrum is that i will need to leave before this date and November (or 45 days before) may not be a good time for me to return. Obviously if i return after this date my visa is no longer valid and i can no longer do an extension

I went to immigration and asked them if i could do the extension just before the visa expiry date ie. 19th jan 2016

They have informed me that i cannot as my visa is now extended until November and must be done then or 45 days before

My Question is can i do this or not? As i see it, all i am doing is doing my extension 6 months earlier than needed.

I know i can cross the border and come back the same day (in fact they even suggested this at chom chom immigration ) but i still think something has been lost in communication.

Can anyone verify that this is my only option.

I can do this ( i believe) without any problems as my visa is multiple entry

You can only do an extension of your current entry In November. Visas cannot be extended.

It seems your best option is to do a border hop at Chong Chom to get a new one year entry on or before the enter before date on your visa.

You will need a re-entry permit if you want travel after the enter before date.

As said it appears you have about two more week to use your current visa which would then provide a date in January 2017 for extension requirement - as said you will need a re-entry permit to keep that alive for your travel this year.