Weakening Yuan will not affect Thailand in long run

webfact

What about all those Chinese tourists I see around CM,are they unaffected by it by being in Thailand?

They are insulated from it because they tend to come on wholesaler packages and those guys book tens of thousands of flights and rooms...and have the clout to negotiate.

I would have thought that given these uncertainties with the Yuan Thailand might be well-placed to hold or grow its Chinese numbers: Pattaya and Chiang Mai must look pretty cheap and cheerful to Chinese eyes. Let's face it: Thailand is on permanent sale and prices are at 20 year lows.

I haven't noticed that but i don't book hotelrooms.

Sale i even don't believe that anymore, many products are just always in the sale with 50% off but still not cheap.

What prices are at 20 year lows? I can't name any.

Hotels. Many of the hotels are charging the same rates as they were 20 years ago. When the 5 star places used to quote in USD, typically in that era they were in the 80-120 $ range, now for the same or equivalent property it is 3-4000 Baht on a discount. Effectively no change ( in fact less factoring in inflation).

It's a good deal for tourists and it looks like continuing ( nothwithstanding the prediction of a 10% increase on another thread)

10 years ago i stayed long in the Asia hotel BKK, 1500 baht a night for the cheapest room.

Now it costs 2500 baht a night or more exc.l tax

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/620105/Asia-Hotel-Bangkok&p=sawasdee.com

10 years ago Chaweng cove resotel Samui, garden bungalow with breakfast was 2500 a night during the tsunami (christmas).

Now 4500 a night for the same bungalow and not even at christmas, they won't show that price.

Maybe in that period the us$ was low? But if i compare the prices for Europeans (americans rarely came here 10-15 years ago) it only costs more.....and 5 star in thailand would be 3-4 stars in Europe.

Asia is 55 USD for 2 per night, including tax...so around 1850 B (Agoda). Cheap as chips. Same room standard in Singapore, Hong Kong, Sydney would be x 3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hotels. Many of the hotels are charging the same rates as they were 20 years ago. When the 5 star places used to quote in USD, typically in that era they were in the 80-120 $ range, now for the same or equivalent property it is 3-4000 Baht on a discount. Effectively no change ( in fact less factoring in inflation).

It's a good deal for tourists and it looks like continuing ( nothwithstanding the prediction of a 10% increase on another thread)

Typical misrepresentation, hide the increase in the rate of exchange. Comparisons must be made on an equal footing.

Quote your hotel price in baht from 20 years ago and the current price for the same hotel.

One example, over the last 15 years I have regularly used the Eastiny Seven in Pattaya, prices have gone from 700 baht /night to about 1500 baht/night. Actual price depends on how you book, walk in or online.

I wouldn't dispute your last sentence, Thailand is without a doubt a good deal for tourists.

Some smaller places have increased with that uniquely Thai strategy : fewer guests, let's increase the rates to make up for the shortfall.

Most bigger places are just treading water and the China boom is not generating profit so much as keeping the wolves from the door

Typical misrepresentation, hide the increase in the rate of exchange. Comparisons must be made on an equal footing.

Quote your hotel price in baht from 20 years ago and the current price for the same hotel.

One example, over the last 15 years I have regularly used the Eastiny Seven in Pattaya, prices have gone from 700 baht /night to about 1500 baht/night. Actual price depends on how you book, walk in or online.

I wouldn't dispute your last sentence, Thailand is without a doubt a good deal for tourists.

Some smaller places have increased with that uniquely Thai strategy : fewer guests, let's increase the rates to make up for the shortfall.

Most bigger places are just treading water and the China boom is not generating profit so much as keeping the wolves from the door

My mistake, I didn't realise the majority of Thailand's visitors stayed in 5 star hotels.

If the Eastiny Group is considered small then you would include the bulk of the hotels in Pattaya.