would Thailand roads be even more dangerous if there were no motorcycle riding tests?

Asiantravel

No chance, tests or no tests, the Thai driving mentality is just dreadful.

If you don't teach people how to drive by the rules of the road then they will revert to using the rules they already know.

They use the roads by the rules we all learn as pedestrians.

Around the world you can make direct correlations between the standards of driver training and the amount of road users killed on the countries roads.

Of course drivers in Thailand appear dreadful to someone who has been trained to use the roads by a set of rules.

But it could also be argued DELETED 'When in the town where people wink, you must also wink'

If you want to ride or drive in Thailand then you have to accept that's the way people will drive if they have not been trained.

You could argue that as the Thai test is poor and requires minimal standards, what it is doing is training some people to drive to a set of rules that then brings them into conflict with others who play by pedestrian rules, which is a common cause of the road rage and accidents that is witnessed on Thai roads daily.

Edited by seedy
Thai language

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but riding a motorbike in Thailand, I am not interested in rules of the road.

I just try to use common sense, and deal with each situation as it comes up. Common sense is a thing that Thai road

users just do not have, and I look after no1, which is me, and keeping myself safe.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post -

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but riding a motorbike in Thailand, I am not interested in rules of the road.

I just try to use common sense, and deal with each situation as it comes up. Common sense is a thing that Thai road

users just do not have, and I look after no1, which is me, and keeping myself safe.

Watch out saying that here, people will accuse you of going off topic because you are not talking about the Thai test.

But you are talking about defensive riding. That's what we are all about.

No Surprise / No Accident & Thai Safe Rider

Learning how to ride a motorcycle is not difficult. Come to think of it neither is learning how to drive a car. What is needed however is instruction/testing on how to behave on the roads in respect of speed, rights of way, traffic signs and signals etc. All those things that make traffic flow safely with the minimum of inconvenience and disruption to other road users with the minimum of accidents.

Learning how to ride a motorcycle is not difficult. Come to think of it neither is learning how to drive a car. What is needed however is instruction/testing on how to behave on the roads in respect of speed, rights of way, traffic signs and signals etc. All those things that make traffic flow safely with the minimum of inconvenience and disruption to other road users with the minimum of accidents.

You are spot on with that. Taking a driving test in Thailand that does not include public road use is only really testing the ability to control the machine. That, I would consider, is the easy bit. The real challenge comes with controlling the machine safely and considerately amongst other road users. That doesn't happen here and the result is clear to see on a daily basis.

The thread is entitled " would Thailand roads be even more dangerous if there were no motorcycle riding tests? " so I think discussing training and testing from around the world is both relevant and pertinent.

I only use the UK as an example due to my own experience. However I can also use many other examples from around the world.

Have you researched and have experience from multiple other nations to compare the road safety data with or do you only know the system you are in?

With all do respect

and lack of supporting data not-with-standing,

Carol:

papa sees the possibility of Thailand instituting any meaningful training requirement is near Zero.

Very near. [0]

But you go girl!

No harm in dreaming.

You are relevant and pertinent.

Thanks for supplying the foreign-farang-female perspective.

Training is good.

papa would like to find a trainer for dirt-biking,

and track riding.

ALWAYS enjoy reading your posts.smile.pngthumbsup.gif

Brilliant. Being as people are being pedantic I will point out that the OP says

"would Thailand roads be even more dangerous if there were no motorcycle riding tests?"

it does not say if there was no motorcycle tests in Thailand. So me discussing testing around the world is perfectly pertinent.

But even if it did. Not discussing how others address the issues means it's only half a discussion anyway.

So how you are reading this is....

would Thailand roads be even more dangerous if there were no motorcycle riding tests in Timbuktu?

DELETED

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

If the guy running this place would go on television and announce he was considering ordering all police and military personnel 'to impound all bikes ridden my non-helmeted riders,' that would do orders-of-magnitude more for safely, than training reqs.

Unlikely but not impossible.

He wouldn't even have to implement the policy.

...maybe if we all tried praying or mental telepathy or sumfin...who knows.?

No difference. The driving license in Thailand has no reason to exist, it's only there to waste people's time at the DoT office. They don't test you hard enough.

I get honked at for stopping at red lights and stop signs. I also get honked at for not stopping on the crosswalk or in the yellow box. If no one respects the rules, what's the point?

Brilliant. Being as people are being pedantic I will point out that the OP says

"would Thailand roads be even more dangerous if there were no motorcycle riding tests?"

it does not say if there was no motorcycle tests in Thailand. So me discussing testing around the world is perfectly pertinent.

But even if it did. Not discussing how others address the issues means it's only half a discussion anyway.

Huh?

So you interpret OP to mean no riding test anywhere in the world?

cheesy.gif

Thanks,

papa needed a good laugh.