Thai Driving Licence

bermannor

One year

Than five year ( some 580thb)

And than permanent ( same amount)...

I paid the same 2 weeks ago as I did 5 years ago 605 baht. for my 3rd x 5 yr Licence..

Edit: there is no such licence any more as for life, not even for Thais

Edited by ignis

One year

Sorry mate your wrong first temp licence valid two years, then renew every five years, there is no permanent licence

Just my experience my first temp one has been valid for one year...than I got my 5 year one...and according to my nearest DLT I will than get a permanent one...but I might be wrong...

Just renewed my 5 year licence-655 Baht. Because I renewed after my birthday(expiry date) it is valid for 5 years and 350 days. In other words from my next birthday. Not sure if this applies to temp licence if it does then depending when you apply it could be valid for nearly 2 years.

BTW my wife has a lifetime licence as do many Thais. No longer issued as far as I am aware.

One year

Sorry mate your wrong first temp licence valid two years, then renew every five years, there is no permanent licence

Just my experience my first temp one has been valid for one year...than I got my 5 year one...and according to my nearest DLT I will than get a permanent one...but I might be wrong...

One year licenses are not issued any more since March 2015 and have been replaced by 2 year licenses. Valid for life licenses are not being issued anymore since 2001 or so.

Temporary license is valid for two years from date of issue (changed from one year to two years in March 2015).

The 5 year license is valid until your fifth birthday following date of issue.

Could well be almost 6 years.

Oops: just noticed that I am in error, its:

your sixth birthday following date of issue

Edited by KhunBENQ

Can I ask is it diffrent rules from one province to another??? Reason I ask been sat here chatting to thai men 3 of which have driving licences all renewed this year all for 5 years but none run until there birthdays they run 5 yrs from date of issue or is that a farrang thing only????

is that a farrang thing only

No.

Even Thai people are often not aware about such rules.

I had to advise my step-daughter to apply for a new ID card after her birthday to get an almost 9 year valid Thai ID card.

I have edited: its the 6th birthday after date of issue.

My 2 year temporary motorcycle and "almost 6" year car licenses (cut out):

post-99794-0-72594200-1452407839_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

Can I ask is it diffrent rules from one province to another??? Reason I ask been sat here chatting to thai men 3 of which have driving licences all renewed this year all for 5 years but none run until there birthdays they run 5 yrs from date of issue or is that a farrang thing only????

Could well be, or some new rule......... my last was to B'day, present one renewed 2 weeks ago is 5 years from the date of Issue

Could well be, or some new rule.

I can not exclude that possibility and have not checked recently.

I have only my experience from 2012 and the daughters recent experience with the ID card.

Both aligned to birthday.

Even more confused so your saying forget the date of expiry on licence and go around your next birthday ???

One day after the birthday party (date of expiry).

I don't know whether there is a grace period to drive with the expired DL.

If you are cautious take a taxi or be driven.

Cheers they all say they will go with expiry date as will I mean while the other 6 here are all laughing as they drive but don't bother with licences as one says my licence forever.

Edited by Sutty

Temporary license is valid for two years from date of issue (changed from one year to two years in March 2015).

I was just issued my 5 year license last week...my birthday is 17 February. My new license expires on 17 February 2021 . So basically 5 years and a couple weeks.

If one was to get their license on their birthday, then the license would be valid for exactly 5 years. The question I have is if it's issued after ones birthday, in my case for example on 17 March, would the expiry date still be 17 February 2021 (4 years 11 months) or 2022 (5 years 11 months)?

One year

I paid the same 2 weeks ago as I did 5 years ago 605 baht. for my 3rd x 5 yr Licence..

On 5 year renewals, is there any retesting or do you just pay the fee again?

One year

On 5 year renewals, is there any retesting or do you just pay the fee again?

Colour Test + reaction test, then go and watch a 1 hour Video, when you come out I paid the fee, and within minute sat and had a photo taken, a minute or 2 later out pops the new Licence from there machine..

I was just issued my 5 year license last week...my birthday is 17 February. My new license expires on 17 February 2021 . So basically 5 years and a couple weeks.

If one was to get their license on their birthday, then the license would be valid for exactly 5 years. The question I have is if it's issued after ones birthday, in my case for example on 17 March, would the expiry date still be 17 February 2021 (4 years 11 months) or 2022 (5 years 11 months)?

Even more confused so your saying forget the date of expiry on licence and go around your next birthday ???

One day after the birthday party (date of expiry).

I don't know whether there is a grace period to drive with the expired DL.

If you are cautious take a taxi or be driven.

I also don't know if there is a grace period, but I strongly suspect not. There is a grace period for renewal however. If you renew your licence within one year of its expiry, you can avoid redoing the theory test. If you renew within 3 years of expiry, then you don't have to do the practical again.

rules change. my first licence was issued in june 2011 and was valid for 1 year

One year

• 2 months later...

Addition to this topic -

If you currently hold a valid old style lifetime licence (there are many fakes) you can convert this to a new (smart chip) style lifetime licence. The new licence will have a bright red stripe across the front face.

This was confirmed at the Bangkok office, those using other offices might find they are not up to date with current rules and require some coaxing.