Bangkok orders checks of CCTV system to ensure their safety

webfact

City Hall orders checks of CCTV system to ensure their safety

1101004-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The City Administration has ordered thorough checks of all its CCTV cameras in Bangkok and CCTV poles to make sure that they are safe, said Bangkok Governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribhatra on Monday.

The thorough checks of 50,000 CCTV cameras and about 10,000 CCTV poles follow a recent incident when an unidentified man was electrocuted near a CCTV pole which was found to be leaked.

The governor said that the contractor which was responsible for the installation of the CCTV cameras and CCTV poles agreed to take the responsibility to compensate for the family of the dead victim.

Bangkok Deputy Governor Amorn Kitchavengkul said that, from now on, the CCTV system would be checked every 15 days and the ones found to be damaged or inoperational would be fixed or replaced.

As for the dead victim, he said he had no idea how he was killed after mechanics checked the scene and did not find any power leakage.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/city-hall-orders-checks-of-cctv-system-to-ensure-their-safety

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-12

none of that makes sense to me

You mean:

The thorough checks of 50,000 CCTV cameras and about 10,000 CCTV poles follow a recent incident when an unidentified man was electrocuted near a CCTV pole which was found to be leaked.

followed by

As for the dead victim, he said he had no idea how he was killed after mechanics checked the scene and did not find any power leakage.

wasn't clear to you?

I'm still waiting to hear if they perform an autopsy on the guy. It should be pretty easy to establish whether or not he was electrocuted. If he truly was homeless, I have my doubts that anyone will care enough to do that.

Edited by FloridaExport

none of that makes sense to me

You mean:

followed by

wasn't clear to you?

I'm still waiting to hear if they perform an autopsy on the guy. It should be pretty easy to establish whether or not he was electrocuted. If he truly was homeless, I have my doubts that anyone will care enough to do that.

Quite so, what did kill him? Given that the mechanics found no leakage (of course they would find that).

After the CCTV debacle during the bomb investigation, I thought the headline was misquoted - Operational being the requirement .

Check them every 15 days ?. What a ridiculous idea - will every street light and every electric pole be checked every 15 days as well ?. Is this country devoid of common sense ?.

Inspect each one to make sure it is safe in construction then check them for damage every 6 months. Or better still, put a phone number on them so local residents can report if one isn't right.

What a lucrative contract the inspection job is going to be (no doubt for some suitably deserving ally). Nothing to actually do and no way to prove you didn't do it : just rubber stamp it, get paid for all those man-hours and hope another chance in a million doesn't happen again.

This CCTV fiasco is obviously another huge scam which is not getting the attention it deserves. I bet nobody wants to dig too deep in case the spotlight catches them in it's glare.