Detox - beware of scams

Loeilad

Before you pay out for a "detox", you might want to read this article from Science-based Medicine. Essentially there is no such thing......

The one thing you need to know before you detox.....

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-one-thing-you-need-to-know-before-you-detox/

All over Thailand so called "clinics" and "retreats" offer detox programs - in Europe they have to be very careful about making false claims but here in Thailand enforcement and the law are so weak, businesses can claim just about anything with impunity.

What about active charcoal. It is scientifically proven to detox the body, sort of speak.

As there is no such thing a "detoxing" , it must logically follow that it doesn't

PS - Be very wary of phrases like "scientifically proven" they are a hallmark of quackery.

What about active charcoal. It is scientifically proven to detox the body, sort of speak.

As there is no such thing a "detoxing" , it must logically follow that it doesn't

PS - Be very wary of phrases like "scientifically proven" they are a hallmark of quackery.

Bit like 'Science-based medicine' then...

Perhaps you would like to educate yourself a bit.

And yes, those 25 baht carbon tablets from 7/11 are doing wonders for my reflux unlike the pharmaceutical drugs they like to shove down our throat.

I would classify those tablets as "detox".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_charcoal_(medication)

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

Perhaps you would like to educate yourself a bit.

And yes, those 25 baht carbon tablets from 7/11 are doing wonders for my reflux unlike the pharmaceutical drugs they like to shove down our throat.

I would classify those tablets as "detox".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_charcoal_(medication)

I think you need to read the article and then find out what science based medicine.....it's a very precise thing.

As for your reflux, that isn't detox and the plural of anecdote isn't data.

Carbon can also remove electrolytes and defeat the effectiveness of any drugs that you take. If it's helping to relieve your acid reflux, good for you. Carbon never had a beneficial effect on me and, since I take different drugs for various medical conditions on a daily basis, it is not a good idea for me to take it. My beta blocker (lansoprazole) is working just fine. Regarding detox, there appears to be some evidence that acetylecysteine helps the liver by stimulating the production of glutathione. Taking glutathione directly doesn't work very well since it's not easily absorbed. Acetylcysteine is the drug administered at hospitals when people damage their livers by taking too much Tylenol. For information regarding acetylcysteine, please consult drugs.com or WebMD. They cite the supporting studies. Glutathione production can also be stimulated by alpha lipoic acid. This appears to be the safest way to stumulate the glutathione that can help your liver.

THis is not detox as made in the claims - Activated carbon is used to treat poisonings and overdoses following oral ingestion. It is not effective for a number of poisonings including strong acids or alkali, cyanide, iron, lithium, arsenic, methanol, ethanol or ethylene glycol.[3] - wiki.

Real detoxification is provided in hospitals under life-threatening circumstances — usually when there are dangerous levels of drugs, alcohol, or other poisons in the body.

Refer to premises one & two in the article

Edited by Loeilad

All of it....and i consider most medical practitioners to be quite clueless....the fact that this article seems sponsored by that lobby makes me even more contemptuous of it.

I believe more in prevention, using food as medicine and it works for me.

I would suggest my simple detox life style that I am practicing it since many years ago.

Drink warm water on empty stomach every morning, around 1 liter, and stay at least an hour before to take any meal,

this gap of time is necessary to give enough time to your body to work out,

if not available warm water, just normal temperature water, not from the fridge,

to maximize your health benefit, every 2-3 days, squeeze a half lemon the warm water,

if lemon not available, just go with 1 middle size piece of lime (manao), lemon has a better taste though !

try to drink at least a cup of cinnamon tea daily, make it as a habit,

The most important is to avoid junk foods, to minimize the toxic intakes,

Cinnamon doesn't work for me. We're all different in our reaction to drugs and supplements and also metabolize food differently. One size doesn't fit all! See today's NYT for an article about the need to individualize diets.

Cinnamon doesn't work for me. We're all different in our reaction to drugs and supplements and also metabolize food differently. One size doesn't fit all! See today's NYT for an article about the need to individualize diets.

Exactly right and that is why some people respond to some things are others don't.

Similarly some people need calcium supplements whilst others need magnesium supplements and some people need vitamin B whilst others don't.

Some people thrive on a high meat diet whilst other people thrive on a vegetarian diet and then others are a mixture who fall some where in the middle.

If you crave fats and meat then you should eat them because it is more than likely that is your metabolic type and if you eat a vegetarian diet you will eventually feel sick and that goes the other way too.

Makes sense....lemon in warm water on an empty stomach is great for removing mucus from the system....cinnamon has been shown to lower blood sugar and cholesterol.

Really? Need to try that.

Mucus is created by the body's immune system as a defence when you consume dairy products, so stopping dairy will greatly reduce mucus build up to begin with.

Also, these are long term things…please don't drink warm water/lemon for three days and say damn nothing's happening…same with cinammon….

TBH I don't use cinnamon that often….but I completely avoid sugar and refined foods/soft drinks….anyway, there are many different types of cinnamon (also called cassia) and there is only one variety that contains the properties of controlling sugar etc….the cinnamon from Sri Lanka.

It can be recognised by the bark that is quite thin and relatively delicate compared to indian cinnamon. Plus the bark is usually coiled into concentric circles and you have to peel off the amount you want.

This topic has run afoul of 2 health forum rules :

"aggressive attempts to persuade other members to either adapt or abandon alternative vs. modern forms of treatment will not be permitted. Experience has shown that this invariably leads to arguments and flame fests that serve no useful purpose."

and

"2. Quackery and Misinformation: Posters should pay particular attention to forum rule # 2) "You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false".

This will be strictly applied with respect to presentation as fact any statements which are clearly contrary to medical science..."

Close accordingly