Rate For Photographer Job?

triangular

Hello all. Its possible I might be offered a job taking product shots for catalogs. I know we are in Thailand but I want to be fair about what a reasonable rate should be. It would be roughly a full time job (30-40 hrs per week) plus time for processing the images in post. I would be using my own (professional) equipment, including computer equipment for post processing. I've been shooting for many years and ability to acquire the shots is not an issue. My primary working market would be Chiang Mai. I am farang and the owner of the business is farang, I would think that might make some difference in rate as well. The last factor to consider is that the job could come with a work permit, as it is a legitimate company looking for a legitimate full time employee. I would not want to get underpaid just for a work permit, but having a work permit does come with a heavy weight for me personally.

So my question is, what is an fair and market rate that I should be aiming for? Unfortunately I have no idea at all what kind of rate I should attempt to discuss with this potential employer. If I have no guidance on this, I know I am bound to highball and lose the opportunity, or the other possibility of lowballing and getting severely ripped off.

Any suggestions, or comparisons you can tell me about? Please help.

Thanks,

C.

Firstly good luck!! You are in an odd position, why isn't there a slary on offer from the outset?? Sounds a bit odd for a full time position. In the UK, packshot companies pay as little as £100 per day doing the same thing as you would be, so in Thailand I think you would be lucky to get a quarter of that!! Approx. 2000bt per day... pack shots are not too difficult so unless you are doing something unique, I would be cautious initially.

As for the work permit, I'm pretty much in the same position, as it is not possible to be employed as a photographer in Thailand ( Royal Decree or something ), so you would need an alternative title.

I hope you get more than I have said, let us know anyhow!!

Cheers

Your best bet is to set up your own website.

Then go out and shoot some stock pictures, post your best ones on your website.

Get lots of stock and submit them to a picture agency/library.

Always carry a compact camera with you at all times, you never know you might get a reportage shot that will sell.

As for the work permit, I'm pretty much in the same position, as it is not possible to be employed as a photographer in Thailand ( Royal Decree or something ), so you would need an alternative title.

Who told you that??!@@

I have a work permit as a photographer, had it for 2 years now. Never heard this one before.

Who told you that??!@@

I have a work permit as a photographer, had it for 2 years now. Never heard this one before.

Here we go again.... is there no consistency in this country? Apparently it is forbidden for a non-Thai to work legally as a photographer in Thailand - but is legal to work as a photo-journalist ...

Who told you that??!@@

The Alien Business Law clearly states under section B 4 that it's prohibited:

http://www.thaivisa.com/330.0.html

What EXACTLY does your WP say???

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread but yes Photography is a restricted art form. You can be loose with your job description in setting up a business and find other ways to work...but you have to have more to offer the Thai people and Thailand than just photographic skills. Even though 90% of my bookings explicitly state they book me because they don't want a Thai photographer...it's apparently something Thais have covered :o

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all. Its possible I might be offered a job taking product shots for catalogs. I know we are in Thailand but I want to be fair about what a reasonable rate should be. It would be roughly a full time job (30-40 hrs per week) plus time for processing the images in post. I would be using my own (professional) equipment, including computer equipment for post processing. I've been shooting for many years and ability to acquire the shots is not an issue. My primary working market would be Chiang Mai. I am farang and the owner of the business is farang, I would think that might make some difference in rate as well. The last factor to consider is that the job could come with a work permit, as it is a legitimate company looking for a legitimate full time employee. I would not want to get underpaid just for a work permit, but having a work permit does come with a heavy weight for me personally.

So my question is, what is an fair and market rate that I should be aiming for? Unfortunately I have no idea at all what kind of rate I should attempt to discuss with this potential employer. If I have no guidance on this, I know I am bound to highball and lose the opportunity, or the other possibility of lowballing and getting severely ripped off.

Thanks,

C.

I work part time here in Phuket and I charge 8,000/day. I do all on digital, photoshop and give them a cd

I work less than some who charge up to 12,000/day

in Bkk they get 15,000 and up!!

if your working full time i would say min 20/week!!

Thanks,

C.

I work part time here in Phuket and I charge 8,000/day. I do all on digital, photoshop and give them a cd

I work less than some who charge up to 12,000/day

in Bkk they get 15,000 and up!!

if your working full time i would say min 20/week!!

Have you a WP and what does it say?

Many thanks